• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameFAQs Finds the Amount of Characters this game shall have

Redsonic

Smash Rookie
Source: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=36389854
--
Found By: The Challengers, DO NOT CREDIT ME
--

Apologies for the mistake. Topic... RELOAD!

OK so there's this latest update on smashbros.com
One picture depicts the bottom corner of the character select screen.
Unfortunately the top bit is censored out... however there is something
interesting. The very bottom bit of the censored part is still
quite a bit there, enough there to snag with Photoshop!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1726/brawlselectfr5.jpg

Here you see the image which has only had its contrast levels altered.
(Then desaturated of color to make more clear)
Are you seeing the bottoms of character face boxes? Yeah, me too.

In case not, here's a close up with a copy of the image and the
boxes traced in blue for ya.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3368/brawlcloseupcq6.png

Now assuming this is the bottom right corner of the screen I simply
copied and pasted the player 1 character selected box until I had
4 lined up in a row (4 players). As seen in this next picture
the supposed character face boxes lined up quite nicely.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5496/brawlselect2eb4.png

Now we got the bottom of the character select screen! Now let's
make those character face boxes nice and solid...

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8692/brawlselect3uv0.png

Hmmm, fun fun! A row of 9 characters! Now time for some math.
The image width is 836 so to figure out the height I used TV's
aspect ratio of 4:3 which gives an image height of 627.
With that done I created this final image using that size...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/291/brawlfinaldo4.png

Again the boxes fit quite nicely allowing for four rows
and space left above for the type of match, etc.

There you have it folks... 36 characters.
This may be a stretch and based on a couple of assumptions
so how close this is to reality awaits to be seen.

(Some more estimations...)

If the box rows are arranged skewed to one another (like Melee) than it would bump
the number down to 34 because two rows would lose a box.

HOWEVER if the screen is a bit wider than it looks than two rows would get two MORE
bumping the number up to 40 (woot) ^_^

'As I said before the screen might actually be a little bit wider than shown.
The player 1 box might not be at the full bottom-left corner.
If this were the case the boxes may be set up like melee with the bottom
row having 2 less than the other rows.

Example: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/393/brawlfinal2mb6.png

This screen yields a very nice number of 42. =)'

Keige

Smash Journeyman
That's really bad logic, but it does seem like a reasonable number of characters.

Tsuki

Smash Apprentice
I dont think there will be the same amount of boxes in every row.
Like in SSBM in some are more,in some are less even if 40/42 is a nice number

Redsonic

Smash Rookie
I dont think there will be the same amount of boxes in every row.
Like in SSBM in some are more,in some are less even if 40/42 is a nice number
Did you even read the end of the post?

Example: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3...lfinal2mb6.png

This screen yields a very nice number of 42. =)' <---That part at the bottom of it

Tsuki

Smash Apprentice
Did you even read the end of the post?

Example: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3...lfinal2mb6.png

This screen yields a very nice number of 42. =)' <---That part at the bottom of it
Sure i read it,but i didnt talk just about the bottom line but about all the lines.
Like the first has 9,like he said. The second has 11,the third 9 again and so on.

Redsonic

Smash Rookie
this is pretty interesting. 36 is a good number but im hoping for more
I do hope you're kidding.

First off, importing the Melee Characters into the Wii System is alot harder then it looks.

Bassicaly, in order to avoid screwing up the code, they have to REMAKE The characters.

Be thankful you're even getting 11 more characters, possibly more depending on how many Melee Chars. get scrapped.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't know. I think it is pretty clever and even if horribly inaccurate or wrong, still fun to tinker with.

Nice job, Redsonic. Sounds like a good ammount of characters to me. Haha.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Nice find, seems logical.
No more than 50 is what Sakurai said... that seems to fit well.

Redsonic

Smash Rookie
I don't know. I think it is pretty clever and even if horribly inaccurate or wrong, still fun to tinker with.

Nice job, Redsonic. Sounds like a good ammount of characters to me. Haha.
I told you not to credit me. Read the post, it says Not to Credit me.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I saw gameFAQs and thought it was going to be unintelligible dribble, but this is quite interesting.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a theory from that blurred screenshot, and I'm glad it was something with some substance. And 36-42 sounds like a good number to me.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
40 chars is a lot! They sure spent their time!
This is awesome! i should credit you for finding the article!
Yes, that would be a whole lot, but remember, this is if they fill it up, which they did not in melee... They need at least one slot for random character select!

JesterBox

Smash Ace
What if they just made a random backgrounds out of nothing. Plus 40 was always a pretty good estimate.

Zodiac

Smash Master

First off, importing the Melee Characters into the Wii System is alot harder then it looks.

Bassicaly, in order to avoid screwing up the code, they have to REMAKE The characters.

Be thankful you're even getting 11 more characters, possibly more depending on how many Melee Chars. get scrapped.
Its interesting, but in the nintendrone intreview they said, there would be no more than 50 characters, implying that would be the limit, meaning they might have aorund 40 characters already on the screen.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Zodiac, the Nintendrone interview was never proven true, and probably isn't.

burrito

Smash Lord

Right, but you have to consider, they've had more time to work on Brawl than Melee. They had a new studio created just for Brawl and another studio helping to work on Brawl. There is a lot of money being put into this project. 36 is a reasonable number, especially if they bring back clones.

I'm not saying that I'm not thankful for the 12 characters that we have already got, though.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
I don't know. We don't know anything about the size of the final Charachter select screen in relation to the fuzzy background of the names shot. And the means of identifying the size of an individual box you used looked a bit sketchy to me.

I mean, it may well be around those numbers, considering everything we know about what's already going in. But I don't think that it's a very reliable guess.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nintendrone's "news" is fake. This, while interesting, I doubt.

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
In response to the people tryna find out how many characters will be in Brawl based off this pic from the"Names" update I ask...

Don't you have a life to go live?

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
i have to disagree with the end number 42 may seem like a resonable number but you got to remember that the wii is only a bit better system wise than gamecube so 42 characters would be quite a push. 36 is a highly more reasonable number you forget there was a lot of empty space with the melee screen. so probably the 3 on each side be taken off. then the whole thing rearranged differently. if the wii system was more advanced I'm sure there would be 42+ characters. but you got to think logically about the change between melee and brawl. sure from ssb to ssbm was huge but the change between ssbm and ssbb isn't near as big. which is why melee characters are being cut.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Right, but you have to consider, they've had more time to work on Brawl than Melee. They had a new studio created just for Brawl and another studio helping to work on Brawl. There is a lot of money being put into this project. 36 is a reasonable number, especially if they bring back clones.

I'm not saying that I'm not thankful for the 12 characters that we have already got, though.
Production for Brawl began in October 2005, and as of now it has been in production for approximately one year and eight months. If it is released during this year as planned, it will have been in development for around 2 years.

Production on Melee began July 1999, and it was released in December 2001, approximately 2 and a half years, nearly six months longer than Brawl will have been in production if it is released this year.

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
So basically what you got from this thread is there is anywhere from 36-42 characters if the screen is that size or bigger. Didn't we already assume that? Now we see that their may be 36-42 characters but doesn't confirm anything.

So...what did we get from this?

Eaode

Smash Champion
i have to disagree with the end number 42 may seem like a resonable number but you got to remember that the wii is only a bit better system wise than gamecube so 42 characters would be quite a push. 36 is a highly more reasonable number you forget there was a lot of empty space with the melee screen. so probably the 3 on each side be taken off. then the whole thing rearranged differently. if the wii system was more advanced I'm sure there would be 42+ characters. but you got to think logically about the change between melee and brawl. sure from ssb to ssbm was huge but the change between ssbm and ssbb isn't near as big. which is why melee characters are being cut.
It doesn't matter how much morre advanced than the GC the Wii is, it just maters that the full size DVDs that the Wii uses have a lot more space than the GC's minidiscs.

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter how much morre advanced than the GC the Wii is, it just maters that the full size DVDs that the Wii uses have a lot more space than the GC's minidiscs.
Exactly, and on top of that. I think everyone is underestimating the wii's power. Just think of it, look at the first games' graphics and compare them with brawl's graphics, a lot of improvement i would say. I think nintendo's wii might give us a great surprise in the near future, just wait, you'll see...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hmm, pretty spiffy. Too bad it's still pretty vague. I could've guessed 36-42 as well. :p

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm surprised this isn't locked, cause yesterday a topic like this showed up and McFox and I blasted it with mighty logic.

There is no way to gauge anything from those blurs. There is no way to really gauge anything in relation to the size of the entire screen. All of these assumptions take on many many jumps in logic. It was really clever to try and break it down, but without a full shot of the entire screen with all the blurs, there is no way to even begin to truly gauge the size of the character select screen.

Also, keep in mind that they won't show the full select screen. Think of how minute the starting character selection is on melee in comparison to the full cast.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
This is kinda interesting. We probably shouldn't kiss too many frogs over this, but it's quite thoroughly done. I think it's the best assumption yet, as to how many characters we will get.

EDIT:
Also, keep in mind that they won't show the full select screen. Think of how minute the starting character selection is on melee in comparison to the full cast.
You've got a point there, I didn't quite think of that.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
If it ever was 36 or 42 it would be 38 and 44, that is if Shiek returns and Zamus is a Samus Transformation.

Brockman5

Smash Ace
True...^^^ I would've guessed about 40...

This topic is kind of pontless we have no proof that the final screen will look like the screen shot of the names...and if that blur isn't just part of the background....oh well

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised this isn't locked, cause yesterday a topic like this showed up and McFox and I blasted it with mighty logic.
That's... interesting spin. The thread's here, if anyone else is interested.

Top Bottom