• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
"mostly on for glory"

that might be your problem right there

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You aren't going to read any discernible patterns in FG aside from excess rolling or ledge hopping scrubs.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lag makes it near-impossible to properly react even if you do see a pattern. So, as the above mentioned, try playing against players locally (or at worst, online with nearby players with good internet).

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think For Glory is actually the place where you can start to develop mind games, lag or no lag. It's your first opportunity to test yourself against human opponents, and human opponents have minds to exploit.

Here's a simple example: A few months back, I fought a Kirby as Samus under a fairly heavy amount of lag, and the opponent would keep using the lag to roll past me and attack. Over and over again, it would work because of the delay, and where I would normally try to run away or maybe throw out a down-smash, nothing seemed to line up.

We ended up both being down to 1 stock, with the Kirby having a lot less damage. The clock was winding down, and it likely would go to sudden death. At that point when I saw Kirby getting close, I actually inputted the command to turn around and then shoot a Charge Shot, catching Kirby as he tried to roll behind me because it worked every other time. It's not like i was purposely conditioning him the whole match (which would've been smart of me), but I picked up on this simple tendency and at the last second exploited it.

Last edited:

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
How do I avoid/stop grab happy players? This is my primary reason for despising certain characters like captain falcon, luigi, and mario, and to an extent, roy.

It's all they ever ****ing do. It's the only thing they know how to do.

-Dash, grab
-Shield, grab
-Spot dodge, grab
-Roll, grab
Etc.

I've been playing on anther's ladder lately, and it seems like FG was where all the spammers hang on and anther's is where all the grab whores go. Played a luigi and a falcon who did this, and it's how they got a vast majority of their damage on me. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, they get me every time. Oh, but when I go for grab, suddenly it's the easiest thing in the world to avoid and has like 30+ frames of lag.

Something you need to know about me is that I'm on the 3DS, and my shield button is mapped to L. I've been playing like this since launch. Thing is, pressing L and down on the pad is really awkward and uncomfortable for me, to the point that I cant spotdodge, almost at all. I'd need like 3 secs to prepare to do it. My hands just arent wired to work that way.

So what do I do? I'm sick of these flowchart players getting away with goddamn murder.
try using ddd's down tilt to stop falcons dash grab, since his dash grab comes out on frame 9 and ddd's downtilt comes out on frame 4.

cpm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cpm001
3DS FC
0705-4380-2066
Switch FC
sw-0519-8110-5525
any advice on how to clear classic mode on a level 9 intensity?

RecycledNess

Smash Rookie
So I'm an Ness/Lucas main and I can barely deal with pressure. Any tips? If you can help me deal with it, do you mind if I can play you?

NeonShadowz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsIve
I've been playing smash competitively for less than a year which is why it probably sounds silly to complain about being bad, but usually any game i play i can do well at it competitively. I like to think that me and my bestfriend have the best possible practice for tournaments because we analyze everything we notice while playing and strategize to make sure we never make the same mistakes. With the kind of practice i have and after everything i've learned about the meta, i don't understand why i've only ever won two sets in my life. I've been to about six tournaments and i'm eliminated very quickly. I don't get nervous at all anymore at tournaments unless I'm about to win a set. Am I not meant to be good at smash bros?

Raijinken

Smash Master
As a general strategy, keep an eye on your opponent's habits and approach methods. If they're very in-your-face about it (and aren't Wario/Kirby with reliable command grabs), shield can make punishes pretty easy as long as you recognize the opportunity. I haven't used enough Lucas in 4 to help much there, but Ness's nair is really quick (jump out of shield and use nair), and he can also get some pretty good use out of yoyo. If they're being silly and pressuring at 110+, just shiledgrab and back-throw them.

For both characters (and indeed, many characters in general), a quick set of jabs against an opponent who wiffs an attack can help set them back to neutral and give you time to breathe.

And of course, if they're using projectile pressure, then you can absorb or bat most of them. Both characters have a pretty quick PSI Magnet now. Just be careful against characters like Mewtwo and Villager who have their own reflection/pocket-rethrow methods that can make this even more dangerous.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Not everyone is going to be good at every game, but judging by your background, Smash probably isn't the one that will fall outside your grasp.
So, a lot of it depends on some information that isn't necessarily explained by your post.

Your avatar block says you main Rosalina - do you have any secondaries? How do you play her? Which characters do you struggle with and which ones are easier? Can you watch replays of yourself and point specifically at things you're doing wrong? Do you know people who could do so if you can't? Between you and your friend, how versatile are you in your knowledge of the game (for instance, my brother and I are a very good match for each other, but this creates blind spots in our analysis and matchup knowledge)?
I'm not familiar with the Nevada scene - is it just full of extremely good players? It's hard to judge skill without a frame of reference.
How versatile are you in stage and matchup knowledge? Do you play customs or non? How badly do you lose when you do? (by one stock or do you get 2/3-stocked?)
And lastly, how do you practice? Do you have access to replays of yourself in tournament matches (or friendlies)?

LightLV

Smash Ace
Smash is a hard game to improve at unless you have access to players who you know are good at the game. Unlike other fighting games, Smash gives no real avenue to practice or hone specific skills -- Its training mode is nigh useless for anything other than movement tech. Which means, learning anything practical requires an actual player, and to not get blown up at tournaments, that actual player needs to know which of your strategies are legit and which aren't.

Smash is the type of game where you can practice a "legit" combo in training mode (where the counter increases and everything), then go play someone and it works 0% of the time.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
If you look at it on paper, I think it is. Second Opinions?

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I think it depends on the character. Dash dancing requires faster fingers in general, but foxtrotting requires specific timing to master. DDing is actually a lot easier than trotting in Melee, so maybe that's messing up my thoughts, but I think I'm right.

NeonShadowz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsIve
Not everyone is going to be good at every game, but judging by your background, Smash probably isn't the one that will fall outside your grasp.
So, a lot of it depends on some information that isn't necessarily explained by your post.

Your avatar block says you main Rosalina - do you have any secondaries? How do you play her? Which characters do you struggle with and which ones are easier? Can you watch replays of yourself and point specifically at things you're doing wrong? Do you know people who could do so if you can't? Between you and your friend, how versatile are you in your knowledge of the game (for instance, my brother and I are a very good match for each other, but this creates blind spots in our analysis and matchup knowledge)?
I'm not familiar with the Nevada scene - is it just full of extremely good players? It's hard to judge skill without a frame of reference.
How versatile are you in stage and matchup knowledge? Do you play customs or non? How badly do you lose when you do? (by one stock or do you get 2/3-stocked?)
And lastly, how do you practice? Do you have access to replays of yourself in tournament matches (or friendlies)?
As of about a week ago I've been learning Sheik and she is becoming so good that she could become my new main. I needed to learn Sheik after my last tournament because I found out my biggest problem was facing people with projectiles. Two people in my smash scene that aren't particularly good compared to the rest of us could still take sets off of me because they were camping and timing me out. I decided that if I learned Sheik, I could not only put out a bit of camping pressure of my own, but i had better approach options than my rosalina did. I used to struggle terribly against people with counters but now it seems my only problem in competitive playing is projectile campers. As far as pointing out my own problems, I can point out plenty of things but there becomes a point where I might think what i'm doing is good, but someone else could look at my replay and tell me otherwise. For knowledge of the game with me and my friend, we become less blind after each tournament. Coincidentally after each tournament we realize there's a new matchup that we need to learn in order to stand a chance. I consider my training friend probably the best Falcon in Nevada (simply because we've traveled to other cities and I haven't seen a better falcon) and there is still times where we go out of state for a tournament and he gets destroyed because he didn't know the match-up. That's happening less and less as we learn more of the game but i'm pretty sure that we're learning the match-ups at the fastest pace possible. I haven't been to a customs tournament in a while so I wouldn't have much input on that. I know all about how to counterpick stages that will benefit the person i'm playing. It seems that my main problem is not having good enough tech skill to apply all of my knowledge to actual gameplay

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You mean Trott-Dancing. You can look at it that way, they have similar applications. But DD, while easier also gives you more control than Trott-Dancing.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Fox trotting is completely different from dash dancing.

Unless you're talking about the perfect pivot fox trots. That would be much harder than a traditional dash dance, and honestly, much less useful.

Raijinken

Smash Master
As of about a week ago I've been learning Sheik and she is becoming so good that she could become my new main. I needed to learn Sheik after my last tournament because I found out my biggest problem was facing people with projectiles. Two people in my smash scene that aren't particularly good compared to the rest of us could still take sets off of me because they were camping and timing me out. I decided that if I learned Sheik, I could not only put out a bit of camping pressure of my own, but i had better approach options than my rosalina did. I used to struggle terribly against people with counters but now it seems my only problem in competitive playing is projectile campers. As far as pointing out my own problems, I can point out plenty of things but there becomes a point where I might think what i'm doing is good, but someone else could look at my replay and tell me otherwise. For knowledge of the game with me and my friend, we become less blind after each tournament. Coincidentally after each tournament we realize there's a new matchup that we need to learn in order to stand a chance. I consider my training friend probably the best Falcon in Nevada (simply because we've traveled to other cities and I haven't seen a better falcon) and there is still times where we go out of state for a tournament and he gets destroyed because he didn't know the match-up. That's happening less and less as we learn more of the game but i'm pretty sure that we're learning the match-ups at the fastest pace possible. I haven't been to a customs tournament in a while so I wouldn't have much input on that. I know all about how to counterpick stages that will benefit the person i'm playing. It seems that my main problem is not having good enough tech skill to apply all of my knowledge to actual gameplay
If tech skill is your main issue, I guess the key thing is to just keep practicing. Sheik, strong as she is, still requires pretty good knowledge of how to use your numerous options, and what your opponents can do against them. If you lose out to projectile camping, obviously Sheik can turn that fight around since Needles are basically the best projectile in the game in terms of flexibility. Also worth noting that if you can safely stay mid-range, a lot of projectiles have enough lag to let you punish them with Bouncing Fish.

Past that, I'd say just watch some more pro Sheik play and try to imitate it. You have the character advantage in most matchups, and the most popular stage is her best, so ultimately you just have to practice taking advantage of those perks.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If you look at it on paper, I think it is. Second Opinions?
I have merged your thread with this one.

In the future, for topics similar to your previous thread, this one is likely the best thread suited for it.

Last edited:

Kirito_SAO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2208-5760-5811
I need help being able to battle at the competative level. I need to know what I need to learn to do like b-reversing. also if someone who plays competativly could battle me online for 3DS so i could expirence a competative battle that would be amazing.

MaxRevenge

Smash Cadet
Sup guys, I'm new to this forum. :]

Anyway, what's the difference between spot dodging and rolling? I almost NEVER spot dodge, and I always roll to dodge attacks. However a lot of people online do a combination of both. What's the main difference here? Are there more invincibility frames when you spot dodge? Is it less punishable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Anyway, what's the difference between spot dodging and rolling? I almost NEVER spot dodge, and I always roll to dodge attacks. However a lot of people online do a combination of both. What's the main difference here? Are there more invincibility frames when you spot dodge? Is it less punishable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Well for starters you're not losing position, and you can retaliate faster.

NeonShadowz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsIve

Spot dodging is mostly used for mixing it up so your opponent doesn't get a hard read on you. If you're caught rolling too often then they can punish that. It's also used if your opponent grabs a lot so you can trick him into running at you then spot dodge his grab. Personally I almost never spot dodge because I don't feel safe doing it

Last edited:

KingWTA

Smash Rookie
NNID
thenoodleking123
3DS FC
4828-7255-7015
I dont know why I'm losing. I want to improve but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

Hilarmoose

Smash Rookie
NNID
Burweezy
So, I just got the game and I've been getting absolutely destroyed in all but a few matches. Most of my problem seems to be getting juggled to hell and back and not being able to stop it and only seeming to have my shield up when an attack isn't coming. Do I just need to practice? Because when I play other people online, it feels like I'm trying to play Lebron in a game of one on one.

J Dandy

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DLonggui
Being new to Smashboards, I knew I'd make the mistake of posting in the wrong section of the forums...

I just got through with an infuriating session of For Glory. It started out fine, I was very satisfied that I won two consecutive matches with my newest character, Rosalina and Luma, then another match with Wario, who is my main. Then, I ran into this one guy. He beat me at first with Roy, I used Rosalina but just did not end up winning. I'm not super adept with her yet, so it is understandable. I decided to switch to Wario, and unfortunately, he decided to switch to Rosalina. Since she sits all over Wario and out ranges him, I lost, along with a tech error that made me SD. The way he played that match and the taunting really just felt like "you suck with your character, I'm gonna flex on you with your character now". I decided to switch to Fox, my secondary to Wario after that match. He switched back to Roy after, and I managed to beat him once. After that one time, it was loss, after loss, after loss. It looked like my win was a fluke, when in reality, I tried my hardest. Roy's kill power on so much of his stuff is so frustrating, I grow to hate this character. So in conclusion, this player I fought had a lot of bad habits that were clear to me, and I just could not capitalize on them most of the time, and ended up losing over and over. Out of frustration, I kept rematching him with the reasoning of "I want to beat him", I should have just moved on or taken a break to avoid losing so much. I do not know what to do differently, I've significantly improved over the months, but I feel like if I depend on For Glory, my improvement will cap. Hence why I say, one fist short. For Glory is all I have since all my friends play casually, I'm not ready for the local tourneys, I pretty much do not have anyone to play with outside of For Glory. S a l t y b o y here.

NeonShadowz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsIve
So, I just got the game and I've been getting absolutely destroyed in all but a few matches. Most of my problem seems to be getting juggled to hell and back and not being able to stop it and only seeming to have my shield up when an attack isn't coming. Do I just need to practice? Because when I play other people online, it feels like I'm trying to play Lebron in a game of one on one.
The game takes a very long time to master, and most of the best people in the world have been playing smash since Melee was the newest game. If you are just now learning about the game then there are endless places to search for advice in competitive play. You can either youtube pro matches from EVO or CEO, or look up guides from popular smash youtubers.

Being new to Smashboards, I knew I'd make the mistake of posting in the wrong section of the forums...

I just got through with an infuriating session of For Glory. It started out fine, I was very satisfied that I won two consecutive matches with my newest character, Rosalina and Luma, then another match with Wario, who is my main. Then, I ran into this one guy. He beat me at first with Roy, I used Rosalina but just did not end up winning. I'm not super adept with her yet, so it is understandable. I decided to switch to Wario, and unfortunately, he decided to switch to Rosalina. Since she sits all over Wario and out ranges him, I lost, along with a tech error that made me SD. The way he played that match and the taunting really just felt like "you suck with your character, I'm gonna flex on you with your character now". I decided to switch to Fox, my secondary to Wario after that match. He switched back to Roy after, and I managed to beat him once. After that one time, it was loss, after loss, after loss. It looked like my win was a fluke, when in reality, I tried my hardest. Roy's kill power on so much of his stuff is so frustrating, I grow to hate this character. So in conclusion, this player I fought had a lot of bad habits that were clear to me, and I just could not capitalize on them most of the time, and ended up losing over and over. Out of frustration, I kept rematching him with the reasoning of "I want to beat him", I should have just moved on or taken a break to avoid losing so much. I do not know what to do differently, I've significantly improved over the months, but I feel like if I depend on For Glory, my improvement will cap. Hence why I say, one fist short. For Glory is all I have since all my friends play casually, I'm not ready for the local tourneys, I pretty much do not have anyone to play with outside of For Glory. S a l t y b o y here.
I'm not sure how good your connection is but I know that when me and my friends play For Glory, the input lag as tiny as it may seem can actually stifle your attempts to get an easy punish. One way you could get better is by attending your local tournaments even though you think you're not ready, and then making friends with someone there who can train with you on a local connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

J Dandy

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DLonggui
The game takes a very long time to master, and most of the best people in the world have been playing smash since Melee was the newest game. If you are just now learning about the game then there are endless places to search for advice in competitive play. You can either youtube pro matches from EVO or CEO, or look up guides from popular smash youtubers.
I have been following and watching Clash Tournaments, VGBootcamp, miscellaneous smash players I enjoy watching, especially Jtails. I guess I am just rushing my growth, I'll relax a little and be a little more responsible in my gameplay, taking a break or finding a new opponent. I'll aim to exchange my NNID on Smashboards with others to find people to play against.

I'm not sure how good your connection is but I know that when me and my friends play For Glory, the input lag as tiny as it may seem can actually stifle your attempts to get an easy punish. One way you could get better is by attending your local tournaments even though you think you're not ready, and then making friends with someone there who can train with you on a local connection.
I think I'll find out when the next tourney is at my local right now.

The next tournament is next Saturday. So, now what I need to know, is how stage striking works. How does the process go, the counterpicking, all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Aaaand, butting in again, to remind you guys to please refrain from posting double/triple post in the same thread.
If you have several thoughts, try to keep them all in a single post, preferably by editing them into the last one instead of making new posts (specially if your post is the last one).

lafamilia21

Smash Rookie
I would like to learn how to main at least one character. If someone could help me any way it would mean a lot. Thanks in advance. Also I only have the game on 3DS.

Raijinken

Smash Master
A good place to start would be with your favorite character (generally, considering out-of-smash factors, for instance if you're a Pokemon fan then pick a Pokemon, if you're a Fire Emblem fan pick a Fire Emblem character, etc).

If you'd rather go by in-smash properties, play a few rounds as each character (CPUs or For Glory, whatever) and use that as a sort of trial for who to play.

Once you've chosen, just play 'em a lot. Go online (or find local people to play against, perhaps using your 3DS as a controller for the U version). If you have trouble in certain matchups or learning certain techniques, go to their character boards and read/ask around. Watch streams or videos on Youtube showing off what your character can do.

Welcome to Smashboards!

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
For me picking my main wasn't a choice of my favourite franchise (Sonic) I just couldn't play as him the way I wanted, we didn't click I tried Pokemon characters and it was much the same. I found my match when it came to Marth. Marth embodies how I play games and sports, getting rewarded for doing things just right. Marth Tippers embody that. getting into somebodies head was what I wanted and with the Hero King from start to finish the game is setting trap after trap something I'm used to doing as a Baseball Catcher. He feels natural.

So my advice for a main is just think about anything else you do in life and try to play characters who reflect that. The character is a projection of your will and you don't want to fight against your will as well as your opponent.

I also have the 3DS version so PM me if you want to go a few rounds :)

Good Luck and Welcome to SmashBoards!

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It's simple (here's my way)
In this game, there're generally 3 types of characters: brawlers (close combat) sword fighters (mid range dominance) , and gunners (ranged powerhouses). Choose your character based On your style, and then get comfortable with them (play against lvl 3s ALOT on simple stages with basic platforms or no platforms). And play people of course

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom