• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I decided I want to go to my first tournament in the near future. I have never been to a LAN of any sort, so I have some questions:

1: How many matches do you get to play at tournaments?
2: I only own a 3ds, so would I be allowed to play on that instead of using a gcn controller like usual?
3: I recently mained Wario (wasn't very good at him) , but I decided he wouldn't really be competetively viable, so I'm switching over to Sheik. Is this a good decision?
4: What's the average skill level at tournaments? I'm nowhere near the ZeRo or M2K that I'm seeing at PAX, and I don't know a lot about advanced techniques.

Thank you for any help!

fir3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Firedemon90
Hey everyone! I'm a Smash Bros. player trying to get into the tournament scene and put my name and face out there. I'm going to Paragon and I was scared that I would be going up against a top professional player but thank god I found out that I am not. It's some guy named JD, just because his name isn't that big to me doesn't mean that he isn't good. So I'm trying to practice matchups and just trying to get better. I main Falco and Sheik, I feel decent with my Falco but I think that my Sheik still needs some work. So I was wondering if any of you reading this could help me out to practice for the tournament. Because I really do need the help.

For people that didn't want to read all of that~
I need to practice for
Paragon and was wondering if anybody can help.

My NNID is:
Firedemon90

Thank you.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How much do you take Smashladder (or online play in general) seriously, at least when regarding your skill level and practicing? I don't play on Smashladder all too often, and ever since school came back I haven't had much time to attend locals either so I'm kinda running out of training options. I am trying to become the best player in my region with both of my characters and hope to make it on the PR by the end of the season: :4greninja::4megaman:. Given the input lag online and the fact that I use a Wireless controller and lack a LAN adapter (I think it always as at least 3-4 frames minimum online no matter what?), I don't exactly enjoy using either one of these characters online since they're pretty precise and have pretty bad frame data for the most part, the lag can sometimes screw up critical moments with input delay. Maybe it's just me, I find that the lag also makes certain characters a bit more annoying to deal with than they otherwise are for me wen I play locally: :4falcon::4ganondorf::4dedede::4littlemac::4sheik::4mario::4rob::4jigglypuff::4palutena::4tlink:. But even though I dislike playing online, I still aim to be one of the best in my state and I'm out of other ideas, but while I generally do good to sometimes very good in my locals (my most recent placing was top 2 a few weeks ago) I don't find myself placing all that high on the ladder, and as much as I dislike playing online with this character, seeing another Greninja from my region up there much higher than myself is tempting me to get more competitive and try to surpass him. I dunno what else I can do, I hardly enjoy online and I don't think its a very good metric for learnng matchups or taking skill seriously, but I don't know what else to do.

Also, what's a good way to edgeguard people who like to recover low and air dodge a lot with any character you play? Besides stagespiking (I know it exists but its easy to tech them in this game and I doubt I'll be able to reliably get away with it as I advance)? A while back in For Glory I was against a Little Mac who would recover low and upb to the ledge every single time he recovered and airdodged watever I tried to hit him with offstage I found myself unable to do much about it and I couldn't kill him. I don't deny that he outplayed me ( I don't think he was very good though, but that just made my defeat even more embarassing to me) and that I made my own mistakes but I do think the input lag and Omega stages were more in his favor than mine, but as my edgeguarding skills are a little weak I couldn't even properly gimp him since he airdodged everything I did and his UpB invincibility protected him. Its the same deal with other characters with bad/mediocre recoveries: :4samus::4mario::4luigi::4marth::4lucina::4drmario::4ness: I can't even gimp them or waste their double jumps since they can easily air dodge, and some of them also have UpB invincibility that makes it even harder for me. If it matters, I also play Pit, Pac-Man, and Rosalina sometimes and I still can't edgeguard. Recovering low is basically my weakness and its haunted me for quite some time now, and I want it to go away.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am not sure if this is the right place but...

When do we think the smash back room will release tier list? Are the patches making this task impossible?

*insert all the hate about playing a character because they are rated high*

Well if I am going to learn a character I'd like to have a good idea that they will be worth the time and effort (training time is something I don't have much of) even as I climb the skill ladder, as will my opponents.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I am not sure if this is the right place but...

When do we think the smash back room will release tier list? Are the patches making this task impossible?

*insert all the hate about playing a character because they are rated high*

Well if I am going to learn a character I'd like to have a good idea that they will be worth the time and effort (training time is something I don't have much of) even as I climb the skill ladder, as will my opponents.
The answer is "not yet" but the first page of this thread is a good place to start. The OP is almost ready to release Viability Survey v2 which will consist of input from even more top players about the best and worst characters, which will give a similar spread to a tier list.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The answer is "not yet" but the first page of this thread is a good place to start. The OP is almost ready to release Viability Survey v2 which will consist of input from even more top players about the best and worst characters, which will give a similar spread to a tier list.
The aforementioned thread is useful but you can watch videos of characters that immediately interest you and then journey to their specific character threads and ask questions like these. Make sure to post in their Q&A thread.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The aforementioned thread is useful but you can watch videos of characters that immediately interest you and then journey to their specific character threads and ask questions like these. Make sure to post in their Q&A thread.
I have done some of that... I am labbing Rosalina and Luma both because she has a unique play style that seems fun and appears to be high enough tier...

But a list (that is always subject to change) and a match up table (also subject to change) is a tool that would be nice to have.

Though I can't imagine how hard it is to make these especially in the era of "Balance" patches. (Quotes because I think certain decisions have been just ridiculous to think needed to be changed though I recognize i am no expert)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I have done some of that... I am labbing Rosalina and Luma both because she has a unique play style that seems fun and appears to be high enough tier...

But a list (that is always subject to change) and a match up table (also subject to change) is a tool that would be nice to have.

Though I can't imagine how hard it is to make these especially in the era of "Balance" patches. (Quotes because I think certain decisions have been just ridiculous to think needed to be changed though I recognize i am no expert)
Well every character board has a MU thread too. I don't believe all of them have a clear cut MU table so you may have to do a little digging to find the info you seek.

TheUnknownMartin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nixtram
3DS FC
0001-3368-2017
(Hopefully this is the right place to make this thread)

Hey guys! been a while since I last posted. I've been playing a lot of 1v1s lately, and wanted to try doubles with some guys on Anther's Ladder. Sadly, I was pretty much trash, and made my teammates mad. So, I'm just wondering what are some tips on playing doubles in general (not matchups and such). You can see my mains below, if you're curious who I use for doubles. Thank you!

~Martin

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
I decided I want to go to my first tournament in the near future. I have never been to a LAN of any sort, so I have some questions:

1: How many matches do you get to play at tournaments?
2: I only own a 3ds, so would I be allowed to play on that instead of using a gcn controller like usual?
3: I recently mained Wario (wasn't very good at him) , but I decided he wouldn't really be competetively viable, so I'm switching over to Sheik. Is this a good decision?
4: What's the average skill level at tournaments? I'm nowhere near the ZeRo or M2K that I'm seeing at PAX, and I don't know a lot about advanced techniques.

Thank you for any help!
Typically tournaments are double elimination, which means that if you lose a match you get sent into losers bracket, and if you lose there, you're out, which means at the very minimum you get to play two matches.

As for the 3ds thing, that varies from tournament to tournament so make sure to check the rules to see if the tournament you want to go to allows them.

Switching from Wario to Sheik is your own decision. If you feel Wario is holding you back or you're unable to win with him, then switching mains is a perfectly respectable descision. Just be wary of balance patches in the future that could hurt Sheik's viability.

The average skill level is hard to measure, but you're encouraged to go to tournaments regardless of how good you are. If you're worried you aren't going to be as good as the average person, then just remember that in any tournament there's always going to be at least couple people who get double eliminated right off the bat, so if that does happen to you, you're not alone. Tournaments can be a great learning experience, so regardless of how well you do, you should be able to gain something and come out a better player.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Im going to a tournament and would like some tips againts certain matchup (I don't know if its being streamed but I'll be adding pictures plus its next week)
My main's::4feroy: :4charizard: Secondaries::4falcon: :4ness: :4mario:
Suggested characters is :4sheik: :rosalina: :4luigi: :4diddy::4sonic: :4pikachu: :4lucas:

Last edited:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Feel free to direct me somewhere else but I'm just getting back into competitive smash, or into it seriously for the first time I guess. I have no clue who to main, so I've been doing Classic/Allstar/Smash run followed by Classic/Allstar(Wii-U) on every character to make a list of people I feel comfortable with.

My question more or less was how many mains does one try to get, and how does complimenting each other work per say?

As for where I stand now, honestly I'm a pit disheartened where my list stands. I love Link, as in I love Zelda the series, but I don't feel right as link. Toon Link (my Brawl main) feels like home, though. Also, odd characters have felt great with me. Bowser & Kirby definitely caught me by surprise.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Feel free to direct me somewhere else but I'm just getting back into competitive smash, or into it seriously for the first time I guess. I have no clue who to main, so I've been doing Classic/Allstar/Smash run followed by Classic/Allstar(Wii-U) on every character to make a list of people I feel comfortable with.

My question more or less was how many mains does one try to get, and how does complimenting each other work per say?

As for where I stand now, honestly I'm a pit disheartened where my list stands. I love Link, as in I love Zelda the series, but I don't feel right as link. Toon Link (my Brawl main) feels like home, though. Also, odd characters have felt great with me. Bowser & Kirby definitely caught me by surprise.
Well Smash 4 is a game that currently has enough people to change there main only if your playing top tier your not changing your main but you can make Zelda and Link or Bowser and Kirby secondaries

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Recently I had played Smash Wii U a lot.

I had a huge problem of not being rage when losing. I know that I shouldn't be rude when losing, but not matter playing with my brothers, friends on Skype, even FG I will always end up being frustrated and rage, like wanting to REALLY Smash something, yeah I take Smash THAT seriously... because I really want to get good. It's not surprise that I will rage when I get combed and spiked right? Sometimes I will amazed, but if I already on the heat, I will rage again...

So... does anyone have this experience? I believe there are people like me who gets angry easily, not because we really do it intentionally, it might really be just our attitude. Can anyone at least give me advice?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Title says it all. When are the best times to use pivot grabs? I know some characters can jab and then connect it with a pivot grab, but I know that's not the only time where I can effectively use this tech.

Tek-ton

Smash Rookie
I find the most use out of it when I predict someone to roll.
Honestly, it depends on which characters you use, as the situation varies considerably.

Winner-Bit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twistbit
3DS FC
1977-0793-0839
Alright, long story short: I've been using Roy ever since he came out as DLC in Sm4sh, even using him in CEO 2015, my first tourney (which I lost pretty quickly -- fair enough though.) I'm really comfortable with him after months of use. However, I tried Sheik for the first time about a week ago, and found that I was doing almost as well with her. I'm learning new Sheik techs every day, and she's becoming a better and better character for me.

So my question is this: I'm participating in Paragon this weekend, and I'm not sure which character I should lead off with. Should I start with Sheik and save Roy as a pocket, or should I stick with what I know (Roy) right out of the gate?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
It is great against players who tend to overextend their approach trying to get their attack in. Running away into a pivot grab for this kind of aggressive opponents is a great punishing tool.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Do you think it's possible to be a top player from having ONLY great fundamentals? This means not having the ability download or a low-level ability to adapt to a playstyle. There are not many mindgames, at least consciously, happening. The player only has a high level of game knowledge and Smash fundamentals. Could they potentially be a top threat or does the mental aspect mean that much?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Recently I had played Smash Wii U a lot.

I had a huge problem of not being rage when losing. I know that I shouldn't be rude when losing, but not matter playing with my brothers, friends on Skype, even FG I will always end up being frustrated and rage, like wanting to REALLY Smash something, yeah I take Smash THAT seriously... because I really want to get good. It's not surprise that I will rage when I get combed and spiked right? Sometimes I will amazed, but if I already on the heat, I will rage again...

So... does anyone have this experience? I believe there are people like me who gets angry easily, not because we really do it intentionally, it might really be just our attitude. Can anyone at least give me advice?
Don't be a sore loser. You should learn most from your losses. Here's a pro tip: save replays when you lose to re-watch them and learn where you have room for improvement.
Do you think it's possible to be a top player from having ONLY great fundamentals? This means not having the ability download or a low-level ability to adapt to a playstyle. There are not many mindgames, at least consciously, happening. The player only has a high level of game knowledge and Smash fundamentals. Could they potentially be a top threat or does the mental aspect mean that much?
Not really. With only fundamentals expect to place respectably but not top high level tournaments. Reading the opponent is crucial.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Don't be a sore loser. You should learn most from your losses. Here's a pro tip: save replays when you lose to re-watch them and learn where you have room for improvement.

Not really. With only fundamentals expect to place respectably but not top high level tournaments. Reading the opponent is crucial.
Saving replays might help, perhaps the first and the hardest thing for me to do is to accept my loss. And then save replays.
Disregard this post please.
It happens sometimes.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Title says it all. When are the best times to use pivot grabs? I know some characters can jab and then connect it with a pivot grab, but I know that's not the only time where I can effectively use this tech.
I have merged your thread regarding Pivot Grabs into this thread.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I tend to have a lot of difficulty with the mindgame aspect of Sm4sh, as I tend to focus on one thing at a time. As a result, I often find myself getting read easily, while having a hard time getting reads on my opponent. How can I improve on mindgames if the only thing I can practice on are CPUs (my wi-fi sucks)?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Find a friend, local tournament, club, etc. Find someone to play with essentially.

Also, if your WIFI sucks then you can buy an ethernet adapter for like 12 bucks, but if your internet sucks that wont help.

Toodenbelch

Smash Rookie
I don't know what or, everywhere I look for help to get better at this game none of it works for me. Either it simply doesn't help me improve or I can't even use the method. I've been seriously trying to get better, but every method I try it simply doesn't work. You might be thinking maybe I don't practice long enough, I've been playing smash 4 since release of the 3ds version and that has almost been a year now, and after all that practice I can hardly beat a level 9 cpu. (more than half of the time I lose really) I've watched a lot of tournament matches, but I don't learn anything from them. I'm at the point where I really think I should just stop trying because obviously nothing is working. If anyone has been in this situation before, or just has some advice, all of it would be helpful to me.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't know what or, everywhere I look for help to get better at this game none of it works for me. Either it simply doesn't help me improve or I can't even use the method. I've been seriously trying to get better, but every method I try it simply doesn't work. You might be thinking maybe I don't practice long enough, I've been playing smash 4 since release of the 3ds version and that has almost been a year now, and after all that practice I can hardly beat a level 9 cpu. (more than half of the time I lose really) I've watched a lot of tournament matches, but I don't learn anything from them. I'm at the point where I really think I should just stop trying because obviously nothing is working. If anyone has been in this situation before, or just has some advice, all of it would be helpful to me.
Stop playing CPUs. Seriously - (many of) the things that work in tournament matches work because there is a person playing the other character.

Honestly, play For Glory. It's not the best practice (that would be offline), but it's definitely something. Add good players to your friends list. CPUs really won't make you better.

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
Basically everything @ |RK| |RK| said. To elaborate, CPUs are frame perfect and basically look at all the buttons you are pressing. Real people can't do that.

For glory may be filled with rage inducing scrubs sometimes, but then you might find some honorably good players. You benefit from both types of players more than CPU.

As for the adding good friends on your list, I haven't tried that out yet. While I'm not "top-notch" I could be a sparring partner for you and we could learn from each other.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I was in this situation before, and what I did was play a lot of games and watched a lot of youtubes. I also tried finding basic combos of every character and noting what other players, or even For Glory players strategies, mind games, approaches, and combos. Even if they weren't too good. Just KNOWING the game is very important, becuase competitive play looks... The same as us? Maybe a little better? It didn't make ANY SENSE to me at first.

Why were these players better than me? Some of MY combos were even better, but when I played these guys I could barely touch them. Keep in mind that I didn't know what I was doing wrong, until I looked at replays of me. My ABSOLUTE BEST was as good as decent to these guys, and when I was against players that fell for my..."mind games"

We often think of our best and compare it with decent play by high level players. This also makes us think there's "something" in our way, but we don't know what. There's even a "something" in my was in terms of spacing, approaching, and consistency. It's actually a huge gap, that isn't as visible as a gap in melee, or other games, but WE CAN'T let it get in the way. This is a big killer for future players, but they must realize this, and they will lose!

Often times, top or high level players think of Many options, for many things. I thought of doing this one thing, but do it the best I can. For example, if an opponent is in a corner, they could make a roll read, a jump to the stage read, a run and attack read, jump away from the stage read, a pivot read, and the list goes on! Reading the right option can get my Jigglypuff a combo, a stringed combo, an edge guard, or even a rest. Often times it looks easy and linear becuase of a projectile, or really good habit reading, but it isn't. Top tiers often do this easy becuase of options, and that's why they're top tier!

Knowing a little bit of every characters options will also make it easier to start playing great, rather than playing every character a bunch. Once you know this, you'll start noticing HABITS of the other player. For example, how they approach, recover, combo, and play. Even if you can't punish these habits, you're still learning the game and getting better at reading habits. You don't have to win to get progress. Sometimes going into For Glory and observing players habits are the best way to learn this. You don't need tobpunish them at first. You can intentionally lose if you want, or not give it your all, or even lose. Eventually, start looking at tourney sets and try to discover these habits of other players. Even good ones! Remember, this could be harder becuase the sets on YouTube are often of best players at tourneys. 100+ players go to Xanadu, but 7 sets or less go to YouTube sometimes, and only maybe three or two times more sets are on stream. Maybe even less.

Next you practice tech, combos, punishing, and just general stuff with your character. Eventually you'll be able to punish habits with your character, and develop good spacing. Watching top players using your character can also help, and just other YouTube stuff. Eventually, you'll be able to follow to matches that are going on on stream, or even in grand finals at EVO or apex!

Transitions can be rough, and it seems like we're always lacking behind, but we're not! I feel like I'm almost at a high level play and I haven't gotten too too close to ever winning a tourney. I've even tied for last at one not too long ago. Some great players in top 8 at a big event don't always win at their locals every time they're there! Just remember, don't quit, have fun, and listen to the high level players at improving. Though not all tips help, you should listen to them all anyway. Everything I've said might not help you at all, though they did help me! Improvement also takes a lot of time, and seems like it might not be there until you see physical results.

Training should probably consist of going to tourneys (even if you're not confident), FG or anthers ladder, YouTube, twitch, SmashBoards, training mode, playing lower level cpu's (7 at the most), and whatever else you wish to add. Level 9s and 8s can read inputs, and even I have trouble beating them, even though I usually can. If you have anymore questions abkut basically anything, just ask!

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
If you've never tried it, visit Anther's Smash Ladder.

It's basically an organised leaderboard where you can 'rank up' against other players, but you can also just play friendlies (ie. matches for experimentation, fun, etc.) with people that you find on there.
The setup is minimal, and there's always people online in the chat, even if they're not playing.
Best of all, pretty much everyone on there is playing to get better, and not to just show off or roll over newer players, something which For Glory is infamous for.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
What can I do when

-I'm at the point where i'm not getting any better playing online(i do a mixture of anthers and FG. Only reason I didn't completely drop FG is because Anther's isn't always active, and nintendojo is dead)
-there aren't any locals nearby(anything beyond 30 minutes is too much)
-Starting a scene isn't possible given my circumstances

I do enjoy playing competitively, but I don't enjoy not being able to make progress, which kills my incentive to try. I'm not saying i'm the most amazing person in the world(cause i'm not), but I have terrible habits that are acquired from playing online a lot that I REALLY need to get rid of. I also lack friends to play with, so that's already out the window. I pretty much took a break from Smash like two weeks ago until I figure out what to do. I could go back to playing casually, but that's just not as fun to me.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
For Glory, Tournament Mode, etc if your internet connection is good.

If not, grab an Amiibo. Past all of that, if there's nothing else you can do about it, it's okay, life circumstances are a real thing.

MonadoEmbassy

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkWingTrials
3DS FC
4725-8493-0513
I'd love to get into the tournament scene. Smash is one of the few things that I can still be passionate about. So I was wondering if anybody had tips? I also plan on starting a tournament, so tips for that would be great as well.

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I see you main Falcon. My best tip for you is knowing the matchups well, especially against top and high tier characters. Also remember, Falcon is not a rush down character, he's a bait and punish character.

MonadoEmbassy

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkWingTrials
3DS FC
4725-8493-0513
Thanks for that. I always hear Rush down, then get on For Glory and get demolished. Then I bait out counters and always win. I hear pikachu is a bad matchup. Is this true?

Megamang

Smash Lord
If you can't benefit from competitive, local play, I would suggest at least watching it. Analyze videos and see why the better players are better players. Watch your own replays and compare them to top players. I presume your situation has to do with travel and probably your age, so patience is always nice. I went to my first tournament by asking my dad weeks in advance, allowing him to contact the TO, and having him in the hotel nearby the whole time. I had to work to save up money to go, and do lots of chores to get the weekend off. I know the struggle. If your rents arent gonna be persuaded, waiting is perfectly OK. There will be a smash scene for a long time, I know it sucks not being in it immediately.. With the ladder and wifi, you are in a better position than I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom