• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Over - Return of Ganon! Support Thread of the classic Demon King! - (OP stepping down, thread open for take over)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Today I learned how to put weapons in hands.
When Ganon's trident isn't available, he uses his Ocarina swords instead.
1566498525757.png

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, I made a moveset concept for Ganon.

Ganon stands out among the other heavyweights in Smash by having the worst mobility by default. His walk and run speed match or perhaps even dip below Incineroar's, and his jumps are some of the shortest-distance in the game. To make up for this, Ganon has three major strengths.
  1. Ganon has a stronger version of Bowser's Tough Guy armor, where he can take more damage at lower percents before he starts flinching. It's not as strong as K. Rool's belly armor, however.
  2. Ganon has not one, not two, but three projectiles, the most out of all the heavyweights in Smash (none of them are his neutral special, I'll get to that later).
    • First is his up special, the energy ball attack used by both of his human alter egos, Agahnim and Ganondorf. Ganon charges a ball above his head, then releases it directly in front of him.
      • When it's not at full charge, it's a straightforward projectile that...well, goes straight. Fully charged, though, and it turns into a series of three fast, homing energy shots, like Palutena's Auto Reticle but much harder-hitting. If multiple opponents are within range (the same fan-shaped zone that Auto Reticle detects), they'll go them separately and try to hit them all, but if it's only a single enemy then the damage and knockback will be very strong.
      • The charge can be stored, however, not storing the charge has a benefit: if you charge the move in midair, Ganon will do a small directional hover as long as he can charge it, allowing it to be a short-distance recovery move (unleashing the move merely gives a small hop instead, like with Yoshi's Egg Throw move in midair). If Ganon charges the move on the ground, they can walk forward or even backward.
    • Second is his down special, Fire Keese. Ganon conjures up three fiery bats that surround him like Mega Man's Leaf Shield.
      • Like Leaf Shield, anyone who touches Ganon while it's active will get hurt. Unlike Leaf Shield, Ganon can move around without needing to hold down the special move button.
      • Ganon also doesn't throw all three fire bats forward at once, instead pressing either the attack (like Mega Man, Ganon can move around while it's active but not do normal attacks) or special allows Ganon to fire them one at a time in a direction aimed with the control stick. This is Ganon's sniping tool for when opponents are very far away.
      • It's deceptively powerful, though it will only kill at very high percents like 170% so it's better used as harassment. The bats go through opponents rather than disappearing upon striking them.
      • If Ganon does not fire all three bats before the move's duration is over, he'll automatically throw any remaining bats in front of him like Mega Man does with Leaf Shield, though instead of a ring shape it's a > shape.
    • Last is his side special, his trident boomerang. It's basically K. Rool's Crownerang, but has a larger horizontal hitbox and can't be picked up by anyone. Since the trident is his weapon, however, Ganon is a sitting duck as long as the move is active, not even being able to move around normally...except with:
  3. Ganon's last major strength is his neutral special: his signature teleport. Ganon boasts the single most flexible teleport in the game, along with the farthest-reaching, going slightly farther than Zelda's. Ganon can cut his teleport path short by cancelling it with a regular attack / aerial or by letting go of the special move button. and he can "bend" his teleport trajectory rather than being limited to straight lines. You know the trajectory of Pit's arrows? It's like that, but with a teleport path.
    • As alluded to in the trident boomerang special move entry, it's the one thing Ganon can do while the trident is out of his hands, affecting its trajectory by, say, throwing it forward toward an opponent in front, teleporting behind another opponent that was going to back stab Ganon, and allowing the return trajectory to hit both opponents. If Ganon's teleport causes the trident to fly offscreen, however, it will reappear in Ganon's hands in a puff of dark magic, locking him in a momentary animation where he's vulnerable.
    • This teleport is very strong, so there's a few weaknesses. First, using the max distance of the teleport will cause Ganon to sit there for a moment upon reappearing, leaving him vulnerable. Second, Ganon's teleport has 3 uses, which regenerate over time through an onscreen meter. Even if a teleport is cut short with an attack or letting go of the special button, it still counts as a use. This was implemented to simulate how, later during Ganon's boss fight in A Link to the Past, Ganon would teleport multiple times only to be forced to do other attacks for a while.
    • I briefly compared Ganon's teleport to Zelda's, so I'll just say that unlike hers or Sheik's, there is no hitbox upon either disappearing or reappearing.
Ganon's Normals:
  • Two of Ganon's smash attacks are stabs with his trident, forward smash going almost as far as Corrin's, and up smash almost going as high as Simon / Richter's; down smash is a copy of Ganondorf's / Cloud's.
  • Ganon's forward and up tilts are similar to Palutena's, being multi-hit twirls of his trident (up tilt looks like his signature "spinning the trident before conjuring magic / throwing it" pose from his fights). His down tilt, on the other hand, is a quick poke with his trident, one of his fastest attacks at close range though also one of his weaker ones. Ganon's throws aren't very powerful but launch fighters at specific angles ready for smash attack skewering.
  • His jab and forward tilt have a unique property: they can reflect projectiles if timed right. His jab is also a single backhand to complete the Ocarina of Time reference and to match how Ganondorf in Smash doesn't have a jab combo either.
  • As Ganon has very bad jumps, four of his aerials are all crushing swings or stabs with his trident, meant to be used either close to the ground or falling to the ground. If you're feeling disrespectful, you can try to dunk opponents offstage with them at the possible cost of your stock if you can't recover in time. His up aerial, however, matches his up tilt in that he spins the trident above his head. When used in the air, like Fox's forward aerial, it can give you just a little bit of air time when returning to the stage.
---

Alright, that's wrapped up. While Ganon was made to be a heavyweight that centered around teleporting to make up for his lack of other mobility options, I also made this moveset to contrast with Link and Ganondorf. Like Link, Ganon's playstyle revolves around making it very hard for opponents to approach them by slinging out various projectiles and letting some powerful smashes rip when anyone gets close, though Ganon can only have one kind of projectile out at a time and can close in on opponents deceptively quick with his teleport. Like Ganondorf, Ganon has a similarly crushing set of attacks and knack for racking up damage, though Ganon mostly does this with keep-away special attacks and multi-hit trident spinning rather than single hit punches and kicks, plus Ganon relies mostly on one special move for mobility while Ganondorf is faster and more mobile than Ganon by default.

Edit: Tried to make the wall of text a little easier to read by highlighting, underlining, italicizing, and bold-ing some words.
Edit 2: Actually that looked ugly so I just indented a few times in a few places.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Hey, guys! I made an account for Ganon support on Twitter. Check it out!

I intend to make at least one pro-Ganon tweet per day. Give me a follow, why don'tcha?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm loving this Smash Twitter campaigning people are doing for characters like Dixie Kong, Skull Kid, and now Pig Ganon. Maybe myself or someone else should do one for my boi Goemon? Hmm...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I’m playing A Link to the Past again but it’s on the Switch. I’m loving it! It’s really one of the best Zelda games and one of the best SNES games and one of the best well-designed video games ever.

Ganon really should get in Smash. That would make up for getting a Captain Falcon clone.

I'm loving this Smash Twitter campaigning people are doing for characters like Dixie Kong, Skull Kid, and now Pig Ganon. Maybe myself or someone else should do one for my boi Goemon? Hmm...
I am doing that for Meowth and Team Rocket. Don’t have a lot of followers but it’s a start.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am honestly still down for Ganon, after Impa he's the most logical inclusion and I say that only because so far he's been part of Ganondorf's Final Smash, and now also a boss. Otherwise there's no good reason to really exclude him if there are more Links and Zelda's running around the block. However, I don't think it's likely because Ganon probably won't appear as this form in Breath of the Wild 2.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ganon really should get in Smash. That would make up for getting a Captain Falcon clone.
Way ahead of ya. ;)

But for real, I'm so glad you guys are into the idea! I've been pitching it on other forums and not everyone is as receptive. Er, any of you want to be my first follower?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Am honestly still down for Ganon, after Impa he's the most logical inclusion and I say that only because so far he's been part of Ganondorf's Final Smash, and now also a boss. Otherwise there's no good reason to really exclude him if there are more Links and Zelda's running around the block. However, I don't think it's likely because Ganon probably won't appear as this form in Breath of the Wild 2.
I agree. Ganon is one of the most logical choices. It is a no-brainer.

My goodness! I can just picture his moveset... using that trident and summoning flame bats and teleporting... and he would be a slow and strong heavyweight fighter... and I really would love a stage from Zelda ALTTP where you battle on Hyrule Castle in Light World and Pyramid of Power in Dark World and the stage transforms between worlds.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hey Dalek, may I share this image on my Ganon-for-Smash Twitter? If so, how should I credit you? I think something like this would make the idea seem more feasible to some.
Go ahead.
Dunno how you can credit me. Just say Dalek_Kolt made it?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Spoilers for Link's Awakening...

With the upcoming release of Link's Awakening very soon, I wonder how the nightmare form of Ganon would look, he'd probably be an all black shadow, but if his model gets ripped (hopefully sooner than the wait for his model for A Link Between Worlds...), we might be able to give him some textures. Would probably give us a higher poly model of Ganon that way too

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Okay, I bit the bullet and submitted Ganon and Yuganon to Model's resource.
Awaiting hopeful acceptance.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice to see a video that focuses solely on Ganon and gosh I never realized he was treated so poorly in the pre ocarina of Time games in terms of official art. I guess its good they mostly stuck with his Oracles design for the most part later on, at least in the top down games, the 3D titles still like to be more experimental with him from time to time...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well the nichtmares in ganon form looked good as i believe someone was hoping for, would be a good for an alt

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
When it's been literal years since A Link Between Worlds came out and no one has uploaded Ganon onto Models Resource.

"Fine. I'll do it myself."
https://imgur.com/LnJACUi

I can try setting up a downloadable link if anyone is interested.
PLEASE do so

and i almost did it
but nobody responded my emails
shame, but im super happy that you did it ;v;

Fixed the rig.
All I need to do is rig the skirt and give him a better necklace.
View attachment 235283
someday i'll commission someone to remake the model ;v;
that looks amazing

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Updated my models, some were in pieces before.
I'll get back on the Ganon update project soon, I swear.
thank you, thank you so much!
im making a lot of progress on learning to model, so i'll be able to tinker over this model ASAP :D

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
thank you, thank you so much!
im making a lot of progress on learning to model, so i'll be able to tinker over this model ASAP :D
I should also mention the trident comes with Yuga. Also they recently added Ultimate/Ocarina Ganon to models resource in case you want to do something with his dual swords.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I put together a moveset idea, along with a couple of stage and boss ideas for Ganon.

D

Deleted member

may i ask your reasoning for your boss choice?
For the UB or Ultimate Boss (Meaning boss already present in Ultimate) I'm thinking an idea for Ganon's classic route could involve fighting female characters who emulate the bosses guarding the 7 maidens in A Link to the Past. With the 7th and final encounter being the 7th Maiden herself. But when a character encounter is the final boss of a classic route there's something special about it. In this case, after you defeat Zelda Link comes in so that you have to fight the hero trying to save all the Maidens.

For the NB or New Boss I went with Malladus as some weird form of "I'll teach you who the real Demon King is poser".

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
How is a such iconic and important character from one of the bigges Nintendo franchises not in Smash yet?
I mean, ok, the OoT version as a boss, and Ganondorf, but they are completely different characters, in look and in movesets.

The iconic version of Ganon is still missing, and I really can't explain the reason of this.
Classic Ganon is so recognizable and appeared in many of the classic Zelda games...

Anyway, you are doing a good job with the modeling, rigging and stuff; it's nice to see our demon king Ganon in 3D and not part of a cutscene where we can see him for a fraction of second and not even the full figure.

D

Deleted member

they are completely different characters, in look and in movesets.
But not in identity. They're the same being, Ganon is just the name of Ganondorf's more powerful demon form. So TECHNICALLY he is represented. Still, it wouldn't be the first time a character has had two forms of themselves as separate characters on the roster and Ganon appears more often than Ganondorf anyway.

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
Haven't been on Smash Boards in ages, but I made a new account just to show my support here. I think Ganon would be an amazing addition to the roster. Smash always needs more super heavies, and Ganon is a no-brainer. Seeing as all the DLC fighters thus far have been 3rd party I don't expect him to be playable until the next game. Regardless we should try to get awareness because he's the kind of fighter people don't realize they want until they are reminded of him.

I'm far from a big Legend of Zelda fan, but Ganon is a character I didn't realize I needed in Smash until recently. He appears more often than Ganondorf and is one of Nintendo's most well-known villains, yet he's only a boss in the 5th installment. Not to mention he has some of the best move set potential of any Nintendo character not already in Smash. Talk about the Ridley treatment.

I have some move set ideas of my own, but I'm super busy with college right now so I can't get into making it. I may have some time this weekend, but there's another fighter concept I'm working on that I'll have to finish first. What I'll say for now is I don't think giving Ganon a second set of normals for the few seconds when his trident is away from him makes much sense, it would require whole new animations and completely different hitboxes where characters like Robin and Joker are just extra animation on top of existing ones and similar, but altered hitboxes.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I put together a moveset idea, along with a couple of stage and boss ideas for Ganon.

That's actually one of the better move sets I've seen for Ganon.

As for stages, whenever I think of a stage for Ganon, my mind goes to the Dark World Temple in Link to the Past.

Top Bottom