• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GA Melee PR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I'm actually wondering whether the GA Melee community just doesn't care about a Power Rankings (which is understandable),

or we're just really lazy about it.

I'm not bashing our community in the least, this is a legitimate question.

We had a pretty solid panel established, but that's as far as we got. Because a panel existed, I think it's safe to say that GA does care about it (to some extent).

I might have just answered my own question, but I want answers from other people, particularly the Panelists (I think they were Sleepy, Fullmetal, Dan, and Dogy).

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I'd like to see a GA Melee PR. I think GA Melee has been thriving pretty well lately, and I'm sure a few of us would step up our game to see our name on a list.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm sick of the thought. >_< Wes tried like... 3 times. I tried next to take over, only to fail on my second attempt because people whined and *****ed about everything.

We're better off without one until someone can come up with a highly simple yet extremely fair way of ranking players. PR started to become more of a "I beat him or her so I should be ranked *insert # here*" instead of a list based on a sole decisive figure.

Not to mention, it becomes hard to create criteria and adhere to them strictly.

Think about it in a general case.

Case 1: Base PR off tournament placings.

Well, do we consider people like Chops/XIF as GA? They win a lot or place extremely high. Or do we just consider 100% residents (i.e. those who live here full time, not just school time or summer time). What actually counts as being worthy of going toward the PR list? What about fluke wins/losses? Alpha would not make this list. (@Alpha: I am using you for a general person analysis because you are probably the most recognizable GA player aside from the "best" like Mike G or Chaddd)

Case 2: Base PR off of "skill"

So you can beat *insert name*, who cares? Does the person's skill level rank them higher than others? What counts as skill? Does tech skill count? Knowledge of the game? The ability to think and control a situation? Alpha would get top 7 here, because he may not win tournies, but he's one of the smarter thinkers among GA smashers. Mike G would rank #1 simply for his knowledge and ability to come back from months/years out of practice and place very well, etc etc etc.

Case 3: Combine skill and tourny places

This becomes a strictly bias list (which all of our attempts have been in the past). Even if you divide panelists from regions, most are going to favor certain players. Obviously I favor Alpha. FullMetal might favor himself and Chaddd. PB&J would favor himself. (Note: I am merely giving examples, not stating any sort of fact). This type of list leads to bickering and complaining. "Why am I not above Alpha? I beat him all the time!" "But Alpha places higher than you in most tournies, even if you beat just him."

Can you see where I am going with this?

Again, I think PR should lie low until a truely useful and fair system is devised.

But if GA decides to make a PR anyway, then ok lol.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Hey Gerbil it would be nice if you would answer my question. I'm not going to read your post yet, but the question I asked is an either/or. I don't need a really long explanation.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
we could do a PR easily if everyone didn't get so butt hurt over their placing.

You know, what we've done in the past is really no different from what other states do, we just like to whine and complain and moan all the **** time.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Hey Gerbil it would be nice if you would answer my question. I'm not going to read your post yet, but the question I asked is an either/or. I don't need a really long explanation.
I did answer your question in the form of an opinion. If you just read my post you would see where my answer is coming from. In fact, let me narrow it for you. >_>

Can you see where I am going with this?

Again, I think PR should lie low until a truely useful and fair system is devised.

But if GA decides to make a PR anyway, then ok lol.
I don't want to come off as mean or a jerk or whatever (that's the whole reason I rarely even post on this board anymore; people take my posts far too seriously) but I was merely giving examples why I believe a PR should lie low. This ties in to answer your question as "Do I think GA is lazy? Prob not, but I don't think GA should create one just yet until *insert my post*."

Do I think GA cares about a PR? Sure. Most probably secretly do in their hearts. Who doesn't want to be recognized in a competitive game they love and play for money?

After reading XIF's , he summed up what I said in my lengthy post lol.

Is that better?

Rayku

Smash Lord
Do I think GA cares about a PR? Sure. Most probably secretly do in their hearts. Who doesn't want to be recognized in a competitive game they love and play for money?
Once again, Gerbil, I didn't want any form of explanation. I just wanted someone to answer either/or.

Also, I do not care about being recognized. In fact, I would prefer to stay off of any list.

Rayku

Smash Lord
well if what Gerbil says is true, then GA needs to stop *****ing and step up their game.
I don't recall when people have been complaining about their spots, unless this was a long time ago, way back when.

Man...up...like...the Brawl players?

They don't seem to complain except about how PR's shouldn't be up at the moment.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I don't recall when people have been complaining about their spots, unless this was a long time ago, way back when.

They don't seem to complain except about how PR's shouldn't be up at the moment.
Yeah I'm actually quite impressed with their attitudes. Most of them are even fine with a top 5 only PR. Pretty legit.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
lol we all know what happens when we do this...

ok watch this

*is serious btw*

here's my quick top 10 list guys ok!?

1. Soft
2. SleepyK
3.Eugene
4. Rayku
5.Chaddd
6. Xif
7.Fullmetal
8. Merc
9. Cornel
10. Dogy

OK, Since i was actually added on as a panelist the last time this is my final list, anyone who disagrees with this should go eat a **** or man the **** up and place higher in tourneys.

done.

and Dogy sucks

Also Prac and Alpha suck :)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Just have a giant pools tourny that is singles only. Then everyone will play everyone else, and then rank by matches won. It would work, but there are some problems with it.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
@Rayku - You really don't remember ANY of what I've discussed?

Dude. I could call out like... 10 different names *****ing about where their placements were in almost EVERY PR. In fact, the ONLY successful GA PRs were Wes', myself, and 112 doing the first one (Our list included co_and_me, Blake, and Merc) . Then the second PR that worked was FM's, Dogy, and I can't remember who was the third guy, and they had only one person truely ***** about their spot.

I gave you an answer with an explanation man. If I gave you anything shorter like a one liner "yeah GA is lazy" then I would only be PROVING that statement by not giving an elaboration on my thoughts. Then people would get pissed about how "you gave no reasoning, and you call GA lazy? You don't even show to tournies anymore blah blah blah"

At least I stepped up and put the facts out there.

: ) Smiley face for no beef : )

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
GA cares about having a melee PR.
GA is too lazy to create it.
And/Or-

Theres always a huge ****-storm whenever an "Official" melee PR gets put up- because everybody thinks their opinion matters when in truth IT DOESN'T.
Thats the point of choosing panelists- you trust their judgement and are (supposed to, at least) accept what they come up with as a PR.

And LOL @ Mike G's list.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
lol we all know what happens when we do this...

ok watch this

*is serious btw*

here's my quick top 10 list guys ok!?

1. Soft
2. SleepyK
3.Eugene
4. Rayku
5.Chaddd
6. Xif
7.Fullmetal
8. Merc
9. Cornel
10. Dogy

OK, Since i was actually added on as a panelist the last time this is my final list, anyone who disagrees with this should go eat a **** or man the **** up and place higher in tourneys.

done.

and Dogy sucks

Also Prac and Alpha suck :)
This list is ****ed up! Why am I not on the top 10? fffffffffff

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I really feel like the panel should be some combination of myself, chaddd, fullmetal, sleepyk, Marty, Dogy, and Dan.

I personally feel like I've been to such a large majority of the GA tournaments and have the kind of experience necessary to be a good panelist, not to mention i was a panelist for Florida before anyway.

The only reason why I never suggested/wanted to be a panelist before is because I thought everyone would take one look at the list, find something they didn't like, and just say "BAAAWW ZOMG STUPID BIASED FL PLAYER BEING TOOOOOTALLY UNFAIR" (which to be honest I think was a wise decision).

But now I don't really care, because well, there aren't many people here that can argue with my attendance and experience.

To be fair to everyone though (although this isn't how it works in other states either, but GA needs their bib and pacifier with everything), I'll refrain from placing myself at all, and let the other panelists decide whether I should even be on the list or not. This is all assuming you guys will let me be a panelist.

So whenever you guys get your **** together let me know, and I'll be down for some melee PR-edness

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
the melee barline is my wee-wee

if you cannot get down n dirty, you have no hope of being good at melee

GAwes

Hidden Boss
did everyone just forget about my ****** ***? first off, there's gonna be another GA-PR

2. IM gonna be a panelist.

3. by the time one gets made i'll be in top 5 without argument, top 3 by next summer. first unless someone starts making some insane strides.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
did everyone just forget about my ****** ***? first off, there's gonna be another GA-PR

2. IM gonna be a panelist.

3. by the time one gets made i'll be in top 5 without argument, top 3 by next summer. first unless someone starts making some insane strides.
I didn't forget yo ***! When you actually live in GA i'll put your washed up *** on my list...right under soft. no one beats Soft LOOLOLOLOLOL

oh wait...

"results at Waba tourney"

3. PB&J

4.Soft

LOL i'm such a jerk

<3 Josh and Wes

Rayku

Smash Lord
@Rayku - You really don't remember ANY of what I've discussed?

Dude. I could call out like... 10 different names *****ing about where their placements were in almost EVERY PR. In fact, the ONLY successful GA PRs were Wes', myself, and 112 doing the first one (Our list included co_and_me, Blake, and Merc) . Then the second PR that worked was FM's, Dogy, and I can't remember who was the third guy, and they had only one person truely ***** about their spot.

No, I have never cared about being on something so petty as a list of players ranking their skill, because I don't care what other people think of me. I know where my skill level lies in comparison to other people, I don't need other people to tell me that.

My response remains the same. Tell the Melee people that ***** to reference themselves to the Brawl PR, because hardly anyone *****es about their placing. In fact, NO ONE *****es about their placing, just random other stuff to ***** about because Brawl players are *****es as a whole.

Also, seeing as how I originated the post, you could have just given me an either/or answer so as to appease my question. If anyone bashed you for "being lazy" or whatever like you said, I would have defended you. Probably would have asked for the thread to be closed

/smileynobeef

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Doesn't the ENTIRE mid south (which I believe is 4 states combined) have it's own PR? Don't talk about making a PR just make one.

Panelist suggestions: Mike G, GAwes, FullMetal, Dogy, SleepyK, Dan.

you only need one panelist per region, who the crap has more than one person supervising the same area?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
No, I have never cared about being on something so petty as a list of players ranking their skill, because I don't care what other people think of me. I know where my skill level lies in comparison to other people, I don't need other people to tell me that.
man why do you guys want someone like this as a panelist
obv. has some security issues

Gerbil

Smash Champion
man why do you guys want someone like this as a panelist
obv. has some security issues
They never said that lol

@Rayku - Search up the old PR threads for Melee and just pick random pages. I promise there is some *****ing somewhere lol. Probably those that remember best are Wes, Mike G, FM, 112, and Dogy (I picked out the panelist see? LOL).

Rayku

Smash Lord
They never said that lol

@Rayku - Search up the old PR threads for Melee and just pick random pages. I promise there is some *****ing somewhere lol. Probably those that remember best are Wes, Mike G, FM, 112, and Dogy (I picked out the panelist see? LOL).
Tong's just trolling me like he's been doing the past few months

Also, I believe you that people were complaining about their placings. That's just senseless pride, though. Tell them to man up >.>

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Melee Barline is now taking 2 or more stocks from me.

So sorry but not yet.
ouch.... :(
Give me more opportunities to play against you and I'll do it. I'm just always afraid to ask you for friendlies because you always seem so angry D:

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Basically gerbil is sucking himself off for not being an active tournament participant over the past year.

<3 gerbil

people i think would be good panelists

mike g
gawes
fullmetal
dan
dogy
chaddd
xif
sleeprky

but i'm fairly certain we wanted to keep the panel at around 3-5 so idk.
gawes can prob not be on it for a while since he hasn't been playing in GA due to a french girl that needs an american diick, i guess.

normally i would include marty, but he vocally states that he's pretty much done with the game and dislikes it competitively. having a person who is against the competitive aspect of the game on a competitive panel would be <_< regardless of how intelligent person is. no love lost marty, you know i <3 ya.

the real issue is that we decided on a panel then never got together because no one took incentive.

Rayku

Smash Lord
the real issue is that we decided on a panel then never got together because no one took incentive.
Exactly my point. There was enthusiasm to make one once upon a time, but I just wanted to know why the act was never completed.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
basically it was the asian kid college dilemma
they try super hard to get into good schools like princeton or harvard
then they fail out of the super good school because they reached their goal and they believe the hard part to be over, which it isn't.

i hope that explains it.

TL;DR
we just never got to it, due to laziness/forgetfulness

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Basically gerbil is sucking himself off for not being an active tournament participant over the past year.

<3 gerbil

people i think would be good panelists

mike g
gawes
fullmetal
dan
dogy
chaddd
xif
sleeprky

but i'm fairly certain we wanted to keep the panel at around 3-5 so idk.
gawes can prob not be on it for a while since he hasn't been playing in GA due to a french girl that needs an american diick, i guess.

normally i would include marty, but he vocally states that he's pretty much done with the game and dislikes it competitively. having a person who is against the competitive aspect of the game on a competitive panel would be <_< regardless of how intelligent person is. no love lost marty, you know i <3 ya.

i would like to be a panelist, if anything, JUST to get the **** done. everyone knows i will be to the point and un-biased. i'm already at every tournament anyway for teams, so why the Hell not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom