• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W vs. Doc - Technical Tournament Question

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I figured one of you guys might know. I've been curious about what the official policy is concerning this, so here goes.

As I'm sure you're all aware, the G&W/Doc match up can either be alright or brutal, depending on whether or not G&W sticks to the ground or gets launched into the air from Doc's Dthrow. Whether one or the other happens depends on the ports of the players; if the person playing Doc plugged his controller into a "Higher" port (1 being the highest), G&W gets launched. If not, he sticks.

The question, now, is how is port priority dictated based on official rulings, since it actually does have tremendous bearing on the match up.

otg

Smash Master
I think it's whoever gets there first. Most G&W mains if they know they are about to play a Doc will probably dive for that port slot 1 on the cube (or atleast they should). Regardless, I think Doc ****s G&W up no matter what, all this does is give him another stupid kill option at even lower %.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
hmm i would ask this to prophet he constantly plays against a doc main, he would probably know the answer to this. Not putting him on the spot or anything hehe

but i agree with otg i THINK it has something to do with who has slot priority

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
The question, now, is how is port priority dictated based on official rulings, since it actually does have tremendous bearing on the match up.
If there was a stipulation for who would have the higher port, I believe that Game and Watch would have the benefit of having the higher port.

The argument that would probably guarantee why a Game and Watch player should have the higher port, is the fact that Doctor Mario is higher on the tier list than Game and Watch is. Since he is higher on the tier list, SIGNIFICANTLY, he shouldn't receive a benefit that is contrary against Game and Watch in the match up.

I think most tournament organizers would agree to my argument.
---------
LOL, because of curiousness.

+

I think it's whoever gets there first. Most G&W mains if they know they are about to play a Doc will probably dive for that port slot 1 on the cube (or atleast they should). Regardless, I think Doc ****s G&W up no matter what, all this does is give him another stupid kill option at even lower %.
Mr.Game and Watch: EH..EH..F***..YOU!

QERB

Banned via Warnings
can`t gaw just tech the dthrow if he sticks? sounds a little better than a guaranteed dthrow fair.
I know g&w can tech mario's d-throw for sure. I thought doc's would work the same way, but I guess it doesn't?

I think I'm gonna finally not be lazy and test this **** out lol...it's been a mystery for too long.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
lol. It comes down to how the tourney host decides it. Selecting port priority is one of the many variables of smash that isn't touched upon for whatever reason you want to look at it.

I've actually seen this handled 3 ways.

1) Rock Paper Scissors
2) Coin Toss

the 2 everybody's mentioned,

but long ago when people gave 2 ****s about where they started, there used to be a higher seeding rule. Where like, higher seed gets first choice of port.

The other thing nobody's ever questioned (afaik) is port rules after a game. I've actually done this for how I play corneria, so I've always gone with loser picks stage, then port.

-shrug- Smash bros and its variables.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the DK vs. G&W matchup is also affected by port. cargo dthrow can make G&W just slide on the ground standing, and regular backthrow causing G&W to go up through a platform has weird effects too, depending on port.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
what happens with match #2? can they opt to get a new port if they had the lower port in the initial match?

do they just RPS/flip a coin again?

...but anyways, doc ***** G&W

Top Bottom