• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Brawl to Super Smash Brothers Wii U - The Differences

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
My summary of Sonic:
I'd like to give a little more detail to the blue hedgehog! Looking at videos of gameplay, there is a quick reaction time needed for some combos, he has quite a lot of ending lag. He is a great juggler though, his side smash and up smash is a great juggling KO combo. His down-a is basically useless, it's ending lag is way too risky. He seems a lot lighter then he was in Brawl, and lastly: his side-b is a lot slower then it was in Brawl. Overall, Sonic might be a low tier, funny considering he is "the fastest thing alive", yet they made him a lot slower...

Sonic got a ton of benefits from this iteration imo. he has a new down smash for killing and a great new dash attack that sets him in an advantageous position. Due to the lack of smash DI his fair and uair have become even better . His Fair still cancels before he hits the ground as in brawl which combined with the new histun allows a myriad of combos. I was able to pull off fair dash fair dash uair uair spring uair. He definitely seems to be strong so far.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Its not fast enough is my point. I no longer get excited at character reveals because i know they are going to play just as spowly as the rest of the cast.
I suppose I see your point. I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm just frustrated Zero keeps talking about the characters when the base mechanics aren't up to par yet.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Sonic got a ton of benefits from this iteration imo. he has a new down smash for killing and a great new dash attack that sets him in an advantageous position. Due to the lack of smash DI his fair and uair have become even better . His Fair still cancels before he hits the ground as in brawl which combined with the new histun allows a myriad of combos. I was able to pull off fair dash fair dash uair uair spring uair. He definitely seems to be strong so far.
Strong, but somewhat slow. :088:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
I suppose I see your point. I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm just frustrated Zero keeps talking about the characters when the base mechanics aren't up to par yet.
We can both agree on that, haha. I rolled my eyes soo hard I think I went blind for an hour when I saw he made a ****ing "tier list"

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
All I want is character balance. I don't care how fast paced the game is. The reason I prefer Melee to Brawl is because Brawl is horribly unbalanced. As long as all characters are at least on NEAR equal grounds, then I'll be satisfied.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Just wanted to say that all these negative posts and youtube videos about the upcoming SSB4 are not killing my good mood and hype for the game... nope... not at all...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Why, oh why, are people evaluating an incomplete product?¿?¿

Definition
DEMO: an early, or partially incomplete product distributed to allow consumers free, but limited, entertainment.
People are voicing their concerns for a game they love and this is a problem?

If the game somehow has additional movement mechanics in the final build and new gameplay in general, as doubtful as it is from how similar it feels to Brawl, I'd be relieved, to be up front. But if the game ends up rewarding the same things as Brawl and makes the kind of show ZeRo put on in the invitational the norm, I'll stick to PM. Once bitten twice warned -- I'm not dropping money on a console for a game that has thus far not delivered in its presentation. I'll be getting a WiiU for Splatoon when it comes out, at the least.

I'm approaching this game with as much caution as I can. If I'm right, hey that's not so bad. If I'm wrong, then I get a product beyond my thoughts. Right now and as I have since the game was announced, I'm expecting "Brawl but with air tripping." Turns out there's no random tripping at all, so I'm already ahead of myself.

Last edited:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
zero didn't mention this but zero suit samus's grab starts and ends quicker from the gameplay I saw, which is very good and overall the developers are doing a great job with her. I hope this game is very balanced. I don't wanna see the same characters in tournaments or 1 character to rule them all *cough*metaknight*cough*. after all they do have 12 people balancing the game this time which is great since brawl only had 4 people balancing. and for goodness sake buff Zelda guys.

they also seem to be nerfing projectiles to limit camping and focusing on close combat by giving characters a better approach and I don't have a problem with that at all.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
"Mr. McCloud has changed quite a bit."
Erm... no I haven't.
And please, ZeRo, no need for formalities.

Angiance

Smash Lord
People are voicing their concerns for a game they love and this is a problem?

If the game somehow has additional movement mechanics in the final build and new gameplay in general, as doubtful as it is from how similar it feels to Brawl, I'd be relieved, to be up front. But if the game ends up rewarding the same things as Brawl and makes the kind of show ZeRo put on in the invitational the norm, I'll stick to PM. Once bitten twice warned -- I'm not dropping money on a console for a game that has thus far not delivered in its presentation. I'll be getting a WiiU for Splatoon when it comes out, at the least.

I'm approaching this game with as much caution as I can. If I'm right, hey that's not so bad. If I'm wrong, then I get a product beyond my thoughts. Right now and as I have since the game was announced, I'm expecting "Brawl but with air tripping." Turns out there's no random tripping at all, so I'm already ahead of myself.
tl; dr

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
That's some encouraging words about Marth at least. Different but not necessarily worthless. I got very little play time with him and actually walked away feeling sad about his noticeable nerfs, but hopefully with time I'll be able to find some new way to main him.

D

Deleted member

I'm praying that they take another look at Zelda after getting some feedback from the players and drastically buff her. I'll be majorly pissed if she ends up being awful again for the third time in a row. I'm seriously not understanding why they are having so much trouble actually making her a competent fighter.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
"[...] JUST play this for fun", implying for nothing else.
We all are playing the game JUST for fun, the way we might set up the conditions or the way we approach the game maybe different, but everyone here plays the game because it's fun, no one is being forced and it's not a chore.

So making a comment saying one would prefer to play the game for fun, in an article where someone else is doing what they personally find fun; is undermining the other person's definition of "JUST for fun".
Alert the elders, we must convert him..
NOOOOO! I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids and that dog!

Last edited:

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
It seems like Sakurai has yet again engineered another unique gaming experience, go Sakurai.

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely hope that things change by the time the game is on store shelves. Nearly every section for each character had a follow up statement or statement prior to what you noticed that prepared people for the bad news. There was some good news. No Smash DI I feel is going to be a massive deal and I hope it's re-added. Ness' PK fire is going to give me nightmares.
Ness isn't in smash 4...

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
I've played as Sonic more than anyone. So I'll be the one who describes Sonic and what's changed if you're willing to give it a listen. However, I only got to play him twice (once on the Wii U, once on the 3DS) so forgive me for not giving all the info. Ok, here goes:

One of the first things I've noticed is his dash attack. It could be my memories playing tricks on me, but in Brawl when he did a dash attack all he did was spin. But this time, he does a flying kick at the end of the spin animation giving him more space between him and his opponent. I haven't been able to confirm whether it has knockback, though.

The second thing I've noticed is that it's much easier to cancel with him now. A good example of this is his Down Special-jump-Up Air, which players are familiar with. Whenever it was used in Brawl, the Up-Air while not impossible to combo into was tricky because it was a bit slow. Not this time. I was able to cancel almost immediately into Sonic's up-air.

Speaking of canceling moves, his moves come out a lot faster this time around. The moves I have seen do this are his Down-Air, Forward-Air, Back-Air (yes, his kick comes out faster) and his Up-Air. If there are more, I apologize if I missed them. I was also able to cancel from a Down-Tilt to an Up-Tilt, if I remember correctly. His Neutral also seems to last a bit longer than before, too. Oh, and his Down-Smash is a split kick now. Don't know why.

There are things I wasn't able to confirm, like the footage Sakurai shared back in April where Sonic Down-Airs Marth and it sticks to him. I was too busy trying not to die. XD

I uploaded a Best Buy Smash-Fest thing (which I'm guessing you've seen) so if you want more of an in-depth look at Sonic just check it out.

Last edited:

Ace76

Smash Cadet
The fact that people are somehow justifying the unnecessary nerfs, or claiming a zero's not a reliable source is scary. The game is not in between melee and brawl. Its just barely faster then brawl, and thats only ground movement. Air movement is just as floaty. Nearly every characters combos have been removed or made more difficult to preform.
Lets cut the crap for a second unless sakurai does some major changing this game is not going to be good.

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
The fact that people are somehow justifying the unnecessary nerfs, or claiming a zero's not a reliable source is scary. The game is not in between melee and brawl. Its just barely faster then brawl, and thats only ground movement. Air movement is just as floaty. Nearly every characters combos have been removed or made more difficult to preform.
Lets cut the crap for a second unless sakurai does some major changing this game is not going to be good.
Not to mention the fact it's still in development and they were taking notes at E3 listening to player feedback.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I feel stupid but what does DI mean? I see it n hear it on YouTube all the time. Lol still learning the smash language.

IronMario31

Smash Rookie
And after spending so many years playing as Mario, hearing that he has improved for the new iteration almost feels like a reward for being a loyal Mario main. xD

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Thank u for explaining DI.
That knowledge helps a lot !!! Btw been ripping with Diddy Kong. Who else rolls with him?

Laserbeamed

Smash Cadet
Am I the only who keeps hearing how several characters are faster or stronger and thinks that excitement over an individual characters speed increases etc. will fade when it just matches pace with the rest of the game?

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps the physics of this game are meant to be a tribute to the original Smash? Its floaty, grabs are KO moves again, and It has a speed between Melee and Brawl (leaning a bit toward Brawl, but oh well)
I'd be perfectly happy with the game if you're right and that's what they do. Smash 64 might not be my series favorite, but it definitely had its unique qualities like crazy throw knockback and ludicrously good down airs.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Something else Smash Bros (64) has is gigantic combos; will we get gigantic combos in the final release? Did Sakurai remember what a "combo" is?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Sorry for double post.

[+]Zelda's side b was buffed, it has a sweet spot in the middle that does a heap more damage.

[+]I think grab range was buffed too.

•It's taking a hella lot of control to not say anything to many of the ignorant people in this thread

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
To be quite honest, I don't care how the game turns out. My inner child is still exploding from all of the love that Nintendo is showing Megaman in this game. The only thing that would make me more ecstatic would be if Capcom approached Nintendo and said "Hey, you clearly care more about Megaman than we do, please accept the rights to Megaman". If they add any more Megaman music to the sound track, I'll shed even more manly tears of joy.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
It's a good insight and a good analysis, but please, stop that "ZeRo" Suit Samus, lol.

Top Bottom