• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
So how do you guys get turnaround jabs consistently? I just can't seem to get it to work, there's always a good amount of delay between the turnaround and the actual jab. Is there a specific input or do I just have "heavy" fingers?

Falkore

Struggler
NNID
Falkore
So how do you guys get turnaround jabs consistently? I just can't seem to get it to work, there's always a good amount of delay between the turnaround and the actual jab. Is there a specific input or do I just have "heavy" fingers?
You have to move the control stick only very slightly in the direction you want to jab in, it can be very difficult to perform consistently, however I'm not sure what you mean by delay, the turnaround and jab are more or less simultaneous. Hope this helps.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I suppose the delay is just coming from not inputting a jab quickly enough. I'm trying it out using the c stick's diagonal input to jab and now I'm getting it almost simultaneously when I do get that turnaround.

Guess I just need to work on being more gentle with the stick, which is easier said than done in the middle of a tense match.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Input the direction you want to jab in (tilting, not tapping, works best from my experience) and release it to buffer a turnaround, then jab as soon as you release it. Ike should jab in the direction opposite of where he was facing without conspicuously going into turnaround animation, so there shouldn't be any more of a delay than there needs to be.

I had a lot of practice with it from Brawl already which translated well into Smash 4, but it still took even more practice for me to develop comfort. It's also good to recognize the soonest moment you can act out of whatever you're doing (your "IASA" frames) so that you can respond with jab in any direction if need be.

I've been experimenting with turnaround d-tilt too, which I have come to prefer in some cases.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
So, I'm almost 100% sure I met up with SilentSpectre (the famous professional Captain Falcon player from Melee on the West Coast) on For Glory today. He played Captain Falcon and it was just spectacular seeing him play. We must have played at least 30 matches in that same For Glory room. I won maybe 7-8 matches while he won the rest, but finally playing these matches against a great Falcon like that made me realize how much more important empty hops are than I initially thought.

To bring up that discussion vs. fast characters that Baggy initially brought up, I think empty hops along with aerials that autocancel are definitely the way to go. Nair is a bit riskier since it doesn't autocancel and faster characters can punish your whiff pretty easily. @ san. san. , you're definitely right about aerials being safe so long as your opponent has to shield it. It's definitely not easy spacing aerials (at least Nair) so that you don't hit too deep into C.Falc's shield and at the same time, not whiff it in the center of the stage, with both being easily punishable. Anyway, I added SS and hopefully, I could learn a bit more about the C.Falc matchup that I could share with you guys. This guy was intense.

EDIT: Grabs/pivot grabs are really good vs. C. Falc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
I had a lot of trouble vs a Sonic in For Glory today, though I just lost because of a Down smash that sent me too far from the edge to recover. :ohwell:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
Anyone see any Ike play on the Apex stream at all? Wondering if there's any footage to look out for.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I'm not sure Ryo even went.

Was just hoping there was some relatively unknown Ike player coming out of the woodwork. Ah well.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That's a shame. Ike is actually quite good. I would have love to seen some top tier Ike play against the best.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
You guys watching Apex? How do you feel about Ike going against Mr. R, M2K, ZeRo, and the others using Sheik, Diddy, Sonic, and the like?

Guess I better add our old friend Olimar to the list.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Didn't see much that we didn't know already except for the Olimar stuff to me, just the highest tier of skill that we currently know.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Mii Gunner banned, didn't like the rules, and the weather was terrible. Maybe next time.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Are there any Ike mains from Florida that go by the tag D.T.R. here? The name sounds so familiar from the Brawl days...

Anyway, I had a couple of games with him on FG just now, with blonde :4robinf:. I was Johan. Nice Ike, I'd like to play again sometime!

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
How far did you get in pools? Do you have any videos?
2-2 round 1 pools, no vids. One of the guys I lost to ended up being 1st in the pool, and he played a campy Sheik. (Spammed needles, got a couple hits, then went back to needles.) The other guy I lost to played Link, and it was mad close every game. I honestly think I would have won if I played Ike both matches instead of starting off with Sonic.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
2-2 round 1 pools, no vids. One of the guys I lost to ended up being 1st in the pool, and he played a campy Sheik. (Spammed needles, got a couple hits, then went back to needles.) The other guy I lost to played Link, and it was mad close every game. I honestly think I would have won if I played Ike both matches instead of starting off with Sonic.
That's too bad. Are you happy you went regardless?

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
That's too bad. Are you happy you went regardless?
Heck yeah man, it was a blast! Got to meet all sorts of cool Smashers, and I got a white Smash Bros controller signed by Ken + the 5 Gods, and a Smash Bros shirt that has 80+ signatures on it. Also definitely surprised people in my pool and in friendlies with my Ike. They didn't know he was actually usable in Sm4sh.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Heck yeah man, it was a blast! Got to meet all sorts of cool Smashers, and I got a white Smash Bros controller signed by Ken + the 5 Gods, and a Smash Bros shirt that has 80+ signatures on it. Also definitely surprised people in my pool and in friendlies with my Ike. They didn't know he was actually usable in Sm4sh.
That sounds awesome! I wish I could've gon, but I live in Canada.

I'm going to Apex next year to destroy everyone.

Possibly EVO this year to enter Melee, Smash 4, and any other fighting games I feel like I can comfortably relearn/learn by then.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm gonna start practicing smash4, but I'm still used to brawl Ike spacing playstyle. What sort of playstyle should I be aimming for in smash4? With fair completely changed, I can't play my spacing game I'm used too. I dunno if I will main Ike in smash4, but atm he's my best character just because of brawl. However I might opt for someone with better MUs across the board if Ike has any unwinnable MUs (brawl MK and Olimar levels bad)

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I don't think Ike has any of those, since his recovery is much better, and has overall faster moves. Ike still has a good spacing game, superior I'd say due to improved fair and d-tilt. His grab combos are good. His off stage pursuit is surprising good. Watch some Ike gameplay and you'd figure out how to use him.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
The guys at Super Desperation Radio totally wished there was more Ike representation. Shame. lol

Crazy. I feel like we could have made a little splash if more of us went. Oh well. Better luck next time...

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm gonna start practicing smash4, but I'm still used to brawl Ike spacing playstyle. What sort of playstyle should I be aimming for in smash4? With fair completely changed, I can't play my spacing game I'm used too. I dunno if I will main Ike in smash4, but atm he's my best character just because of brawl. However I might opt for someone with better MUs across the board if Ike has any unwinnable MUs (brawl MK and Olimar level)
Jab is much worse, but it works for setting up grabs and dtilt.

Nair has more combo potential but it is less safe.

Replace dash shield grab with dash grab. Throw combos are better, so fish for the grab alongside other moves.

Aerials can halt your fast fall. I think fair is better during a slow fall compared to Brawl because of better drift away. Feinting aerials is more common. Bair is still excellent?

More aerial feints. Dtilt replaces jab as best ground tool and dtiot can lead into combos or traps.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I actually hate that nerf most because for some reason he's now a heavyweight who does less jab damage than Shulk does without Buster active. That just feels... so wrong.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Some questions:

Is FF fair any good? (One of my favorite things to do in brawl :x)

Are bthrow/fthrow any useful?

What kills when? What moves should I fish with normally or try to set up?

Can jab cancel to anything? I miss jab > utilt as a kill option ;_;

Common frame traps?

Ledge options, since ledge hop > AD is not a thing anymore... I know ledge hop nair/fair is doable, but is it worthwhile to do?

Also what do I do against people hanging on the ledge?

Oh God I'mma calm down and end my questions here. That said, I need people to play and help me improve my Ike so message me if you want to play/help me.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm going to Apex next year to destroy everyone.

Possibly EVO this year to enter Melee, Smash 4, and any other fighting games I feel like I can comfortably relearn/learn by then.
Looks like we're going to be rivals. We best play soon. Leave me a shout or a message when you want to battle.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Some questions:

Is FF fair any good? (One of my favorite things to do in brawl :x)

Are bthrow/fthrow any useful?

What kills when? What moves should I fish with normally or try to set up?

Can jab cancel to anything? I miss jab > utilt as a kill option ;_;

Common frame traps?

Ledge options, since ledge hop > AD is not a thing anymore... I know ledge hop nair/fair is doable, but is it worthwhile to do?

Also what do I do against people hanging on the ledge?

Oh God I'mma calm down and end my questions here. That said, I need people to play and help me improve my Ike so message me if you want to play/help me.
1) No. Either shorthop Fair or full-jump Fair and then fastfall. Doing neither will get you punished on landing.

2) FTilt and Bair can kill off the edge at 90%. Midscreen, we're looking at 120%-130%. USmash can take down most at around 90%. It can kill Rosalina at 75%. Eruption kills at 70-something percent if you edgeguard properly. FSmash kills much later than it did in Brawl, so I never bother using it. UThrow - Uair, if comboed successfully, can kill around 95% on Diddy.

3) No more jab-cancels, I'm afraid. I didn't even know you could jab into UTilt for a kill in Brawl..

4) I don't know anything about frame-traps, sadly. As far as I know, he doesn't have any.

5) You on the ledge: Wait for the enemy to approach, then Uair. I've killed a Diddy with this one. You can also do Fair if you choose.

6) Them on the ledge:

-If you're waiting for them to come up neutral, grab and FThrow
-If you're waiting for a roll, short-hop backwards into Nair.
-If you're waiting for a jump, nair.
-If you choose to not shield or use it as a punish waiting for an attack, powershield when they do attack and FTilt or DTilt into Fair/Nair.

Also, if they left the ledge once, tried to attack, missed, and try to go for the ledge again, you can get a free Bair when they clip the ledge a second time. This can potentially end their game early. I do *not* recommend trying to force a ledge-trump for two reasons.

1) It's inaccurate and unreliable. Sometimes you clip the ledge, other times you fall through and have to recover yourself.
2) Most good players see it coming and react accordingly. If you get lucky and Bair them the first time from ledge-trump, do not expect to do it a second time.

Hope that helps.

Looks like we're going to be rivals. We best play soon. Leave me a shout or a message when you want to battle.
I can possibly play Sunday or next week. Today I'm waiting on someone I texted this morning to hop on, Saturday I'll be out with friends, Sunday is when I'll remodel the royforsmash4 website to keep more interest and split it into multiple content sections, and Monday and onwards is when I may be free. Sunday if I'm done quick.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I can possibly play Sunday or next week. Today I'm waiting on someone I texted this morning to hop on, Saturday I'll be out with friends, Sunday is when I'll remodel the royforsmash4 website to keep more interest and split it into multiple content sections, and Monday and onwards is when I may be free. Sunday if I'm done quick.
Tournament tomorrow, hanging with a friend Sunday but he might be willing to watch if you're free. I don't work till Friday after tomorrow.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I know that the games has been reeased for an while, but was Ike buffed or nerfed overall? If so, in what ways?

Top Bottom