• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Best part of Wii U version is you get to see his muscles in HD
Easily. Pause When using Eruption to see his triceps in full glory, or pause in Down Taunt to gaze upon his virile chest.

I still say we petition Sakurai to add an Ike alt with briefs only.
I agree, but Ike in tight, form fitting boxer-breifs is the way to go.

Last edited:

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
Ugh what am I doing wrong

trying to grab with ike feels like trying to hit a rest

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ugh what am I doing wrong

trying to grab with ike feels like trying to hit a rest
Can't running shield grab anymore since you don't slide with standing grabs. Gotta just dash grab, which is similar to many other characters'. Kinda sucks, since I still do it out of habit. Standing and pivot grabs still has nice vertical reach and pivot grab lasts a while.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Yup. If I run in with a shield my intention is generally to just plant some jabs. Otherwise, it's a decent bait for grabs against those that like to spotdodge. I can consistently get a dash grab off of jab 1 in the heat of battle, but I don't overuse that. Most of my grabs come from reading either rolls or aerial choices. Patience and positioning are key from my experience.

Something hilarious I like to do against Little Mac at low percents is n-air -> run beneath him and pivot grab to throw him offstage and set up an edgeguard.

Edit: When I start games against Bowser Jr. players in FG they begin the game with a down B. I full hop QD to be in their face and nail them with a jab before they can answer and they usually end up eating 50% or more when I rush them down from there. Just felt like mentioning it.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm like 99% sure they increased the SDI multiplier on Ike's bthrow in 1.0.4 ever since I watched some of Ryo's matches. These guys are getting launched above Ike's head. A shame really because I liked how it forced tech chases at mid percents but it also ended Little Mac pretty easily. Lol

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm like 99% sure they increased the SDI multiplier on Ike's bthrow in 1.0.4 ever since I watched some of Ryo's matches. These guys are getting launched above Ike's head. A shame really because I liked how it forced tech chases at mid percents but it also ended Little Mac pretty easily. Lol
Bthrow wasn't changed at all, but I did see Ganon SDI Ike's bthrow. Maybe it's something specific to the Wii U for his bthrow? Either that or you can SDI throws now.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Bthrow wasn't changed at all, but I did see Ganon SDI Ike's bthrow. Maybe it's something specific to the Wii U for his bthrow? Either that or you can SDI throws now.
How to you SDI a throw? I know you can SDI multi-hit attacks, like infinite jabs or Pikachu's down smash.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
No clue but I never notice it on 3DS. Unless it was like that the entire time and people can freely mash on the analog rather than destroying their circle pads.

Side note, got 5th out of 35 at a local on Sunday. Considering I don't own a Wii U yet, Ike is carrying me pretty hard. Lol
I'm curious on how long I can keep this up.
Crouching Kirby can shut down a lot of options from Ike in neutral but thankfully Dtilt can stop that **** and force him to jump/shield.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Speaking of d-tilt: I can't emphasize how much I have come to love it. I've grown a lot more comfortable with using it over the last several days. Before then I was only using it for ledgeguarding, but now it's one of my most utilized ground options. Jab 1 -> d-tilt -> f-air is great for setting up a ledgeguard itself.

Also, zero to death in five seconds.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Speaking of d-tilt: I can't emphasize how much I have come to love it. I've grown a lot more comfortable with using it over the last several days. Before then I was only using it for ledgeguarding, but now it's one of my most utilized ground options. Jab 1 -> d-tilt -> f-air is great for setting up a ledgeguard itself.

Also, zero to death in five seconds.

That's an amazing combo! Are you using CGN Controller? I really enjoy Dtilt as well. It reminds me so much of Roy's Dtilt in PM, as they both share so many options. Combos, set-ups, edgeguards, shield pokes. It's becomes a staple for Ike. I need to use this move more.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
How to you SDI a throw? I know you can SDI multi-hit attacks, like infinite jabs or Pikachu's down smash.
I have no idea, whatever caused this to happen at 11:06

My new capture card shipped in, so I might try testing uploads with how to use certain characters such as Ike. That'll be a lot easier than writing essays on message boards.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Are you using CGN Controller?
Nah, I use the Wii U gamepad. I thought GCC would be the only acceptable way for me to play Smash 4 but I think I've adapted to the gamepad well enough to where it doesn't feel necessary anymore. I get awkward n-airs with the right stick sometimes, even though it's set to smash. Not sure if that would persist if I used a gamecube controller instead.

-Ganon does a crazy-

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I've seen notation of canceling Jab 1 a few times now.

Apparently something happened one of the days I wasn't around to read up on stuff, because last I heard about Jab Canceling was for the 3DS and wasn't particularly practical. Is it the same input as before in Brawl? What can be combo'd into?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've seen notation of canceling Jab 1 a few times now.

Apparently something happened one of the days I wasn't around to read up on stuff, because last I heard about Jab Canceling was for the 3DS and wasn't particularly practical. Is it the same input as before in Brawl? What can be combo'd into?
Unfortunately, buffering is still the same on the Wii U. You can still "jab cancel" with frame-perfect timing, but you can't buffer it like you could in Brawl, the essence of the technique. Jabs lack the hitstun and trajectory to want to jab cancel into other jabs. For instance, combat walking is still there which was even better than simple jab canceling in the past, but most characters can escape easily.

We do have jab->utilt on non-fastfallers (until rage) and with rage, have situational jab1->utilt/ftilt or jab2->dtilt. It's not too bad considering it's flippin dtilt after all.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I have no idea, whatever caused this to happen at 11:06

My new capture card shipped in, so I might try testing uploads with how to use certain characters such as Ike. That'll be a lot easier than writing essays on message boards.
That was nice. Nice video though.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Landing tech chase fsmash or usmash after bthrow/fthrow...

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
So totally ***** with Ike at the local tourney today. But then for the last match I played Doc and got ****ed up :( Then came in fourth after Winning the Losers Bracket.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I won a tournament.

Not exactly normal rules... 5 stock, 8 minutes, Omega Stages only, one fight and single elimination. It was for a charity event.

But there were some pretty good players in the later rounds and I won the thing so I'll take it.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
When you dunk you opponent on their first stock and they take a moment to consider their life choices.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Where is the Sweetspot on Dair and how do you aim it.
That's what I'm still trying to figure out, since I'm still not too sure. All I know right now is that the hilt = horizontal knockback while the middle and end of the sword = spike. At least that's how it has been for me consistently when it has come to using d-air. As for spiking with it I just keep the spacing for it in mind to make sure that I'm hitting with the middle/end of his sword. I don't always land the spike because of that but even still the horizontal knockback is usually enough to kill or gimp them.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I won a tournament.

Not exactly normal rules... 5 stock, 8 minutes, Omega Stages only, one fight and single elimination. It was for a charity event.

But there were some pretty good players in the later rounds and I won the thing so I'll take it.
Congratulations! That counts to me!

In a related note, I think Ike has an advantage in formats with more stocks. While I'm a personal proponent of two stock matches, I feel the extra opportunities to have rage makes our character really shine.

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
This is a really stupid question but is there an input to let go of the ledge without having to push down.

Essentially an input that gives you the same momentum that happens if you get trumped off a ledge

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Push away from the ledge.

That's the closest to what you're asking.

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
Basically I'm trying to figure the fastest way to Bair in this area is

D

Deleted member 269706

Basically I'm trying to figure the fastest way to Bair in this area is

Just tab back diagonal on the circlepad/joystick or jump in that direction. Just mess around in training mode and see what works for you

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The fastest way is to push back from the ledge, do a jump then back air. You should be able to recover from it if you don't fast fall it.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I either press down or back for my ledge release -> jump and b-air depending on where my opponent is. I like mixing up my use of the ledge while edgeguarding, but normally, turning around before I leap offstage and whipping out a b-air while I fall catches people off guard, especially if they're trying to recover low. They do that when they're afraid of getting f-aired/b-aired from at or above stage level, though I'm not sure if people usually expect Ike to go for a d-air spike/gimp so maybe they just feel safer recovering that way.

Got a Rosalina to end a game in FG with an SD out of irritation today. Felt great.

Edit2: Another reason I love down tilt. Sorry about the potato.

Last edited:

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
I just got 7th at a tournament yesterday going all Ike, and I definitely felt I could do better. Sadly there's no videos because the stream equipment is at TGC2 right now. But I'm pretty happy with how I did yesterday.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Playing For Glory as Ike against Dedede. I go offstage to edge guard him after having a good time combing him. He's recovering to the ledge so I use Aether to recover as well. Best part is that I manage to catch him in Aether and meteor smash him with it. You could feel the salt after. I even recorded the match. Aether Spike is the best spike

D

Deleted member 269706

Playing For Glory as Ike against Dedede. I go offstage to edge guard him after having a good time combing him. He's recovering to the ledge so I use Aether to recover as well. Best part is that I manage to catch him in Aether and meteor smash him with it. You could feel the salt after. I even recorded the match. Aether Spike is the best spike
Yeah I got like 4 or 5 Aether spikes yesterday in various matches, I love it when you do it off stage, manage to catch the ledge and just watch them plummet. It's even better when they're trying to edge-guard you and you pull that on them.

On a side note, I've been getting gimped when I use quick-draw to get back on stage. For some reason, every once in a while, I hit someone with quick-draw and then am left in free-fall similar to Brawl. Like, I'm unable to act out of it and I don't understand why. Anyone else been facing this problem?

Top Bottom