• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox tricks. A Fox guide by me I guess.

TKD

Smash Lord
Dare you not know some of these, you're forgiven. I'm in the mood to type stuff.

I haven't read it, but Uzi's guide may contain all of this. This is just really short.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228287

Aerials that can be short-hopped without landing cool-down:
- Uair: It has to be performed as soon as Fox leaves the ground, after the jump can be canceled into Usmash. Performed too late, there's landing cool-down.
- Bair: It has to end/be performed early enough before falling, no fast-fall. Hardest one depending on the target (smaller targets are harder).
- Fair: The easiest one. Buffering the fair and not fast-falling results in no landing cool-down. Hit-boxes run out before Fox reaches the ground though, so this is still punishable.

Special move techniques:
- Triple short-hop blaster: Buffer the first shot. The "special" button needs to be pressed thrice in a row quickly.
- Illusion canceling: Press the "special" button during Fox Illusion. It causes Fox to stop mid-illusion and fall while maintaining forward momentum to gain distance. This technique holds 3 possibilities. Canceling ASAP (short), canceling during the middle and cancelling near the end. Canceling near the end allows Fox to glide the farthest distance away, which is the best escape method (unless it reaches too far to land on a platform you want). The medium cancel is the most common, since it's easier to get that than the perfect one. The shorter cancel is actually used to cover as small a distance as possible, which is good in less situations.
- Grabbing the ledge during Firefox: If you hold down or away during the ledge sweet-spot frames, Fox will never grab the ledge. You need to let go of these directions for Fox to hold on.
- Reflector canceling: For a brief moment immediately after reflecting a projectile, Fox can roll, spot-dodge or hop by pressing up, down, either direction or the jump command. Jumping after reflecting offers mobility, as it's not good to stay put.
- About jump-cancel shines: These should be called "buffered shines from jumps", as jumps can't be canceled by \/B. They can only be canceled by /\B and Usmash.

Other:
- Air-jump fair allows Fox to gain great height. Essential for recovery.

Fighting techniques:
- Fast-fall Nair into the opponent's back-side gives Fox the advantage in mix-up. It's safe on block by itself. A punish attempt out of block from the opponent can be power-blocked by Fox for punishment. Fox can attempt to utilt the opponent as well, or chase the opponent's roll/etc. if they have tendencies of sorts. If the nair connects, it gives Fox either a chance to chase the opponent for a follow-up or simply a bit of damage and neutral position.
- Dair to Usmash combos at high percents and is effective against lighter characters. If the opponent to be Usmashed is behind Fox, a turn-around Usmash must be buffered from the Dair for it to combo. To do this, you need to hold the Control Stick towards Fox's backside as soon as you notice the opponent will end up behind Fox, and during the last 10 frames before Fox can move (while he's landing), let go of the control stick and tap the C-stick up (since you don't need to let go of the C-stick for its commands to be buffered). The moment Fox is able to move, Voilá! Turn-around Usmash is performed. This is easy once you know how to perform it. If you find it difficult, you can practice Wario's dthrow chain-grabs a bit (preferably on Bowser because it's around 0-160%), since they require similar execution.
- Bair can land without cool-down. Depending on the target's height, this becomes possible even while fast-falling from above, to impossible even without fast-falling. An example of a hard character to do this against while they're standing is Ness (you can't fast-fall it btw). An example of an impossible character would be Kirby. Depending on execution difficulty, it's better to simply fast-fall and/or space the bair making it safe on block. It doesn't have considerably long landing cool-down anyway.
- SH Fair can connect against very tall targets, which are only a few characters. This is very useful sometimes.
- The moments utilt doesn't combo into utilt and the opponent can hit Fox with an aerial, one can block, and punish if they perform the possible aerial (by unblocking and performing utilt, possibly something else). At very low %, like 0%, utilt doesn't combo into anything, so it's possible to simply surprise the opponent by turning around and grabbing them.
- Fast-fall air-dodge works great as Fox, just not right into the opponent. If the opponent has a tendency to expect a fast-fall air-dodge, one can fall into them with an aerial (bair/nair are the safest, dair can hurt the most). Besides landing, it's possible to perform \/B to wait a bit, get away by performing Fox Illusion, or jump.

Recovery details:
- When below the stage, sometimes it's better to recover to the ledge on the other side. To reach, it may be necessary to air-jump fair. If necessary, one can turn-around shine before the air-jump fair to face the right direction.
- If Fox falls from the side of the stage from a grab release, shield push etc., it's better to air-jump air-dodge into the stage if there's risk of Fox being edge-guarded to death (starting for example with marth's/mk's dtilt). After the air-dodge, Fox may be hit (or not), most likely grabbed, but after DI'ing that, it's possible to regain one's position, which is the obvious choice besides losing a stock. Otherwise, performing air-jump fair into the stage works and may surprise the opponent.
- Moves like Marth's /\B and MK's dair can be DI'ed directly downwards+away so it sends Fox horizontally straight, this is useful in stages like Smashville to recover to the opposite side of the stage when otherwise Fox would be stage-spiked. This idea was actually quite creative of me, while not so much...considering there was only one move that could KO and it was DI'able. After playing better and taking less risks, I think this situation becomes less and less common though.
- Fox can let go of the ledge and air-jump reaching the Smashville platform, which is good to know. It requires one to jump ASAP after letting go, so I recommend letting go by tapping the Control Stick back, not down, which would probably make it unpractically hard.

About momentum reduction/trajectory enlargement:
- Uair is Fox's quickest aerial, which should usually be performed. If it's only necessary to avoid being star KOed (upwards), Dair's good too (by tapping C-stick downwards, which is said to automatically fast-fall, so watch out). Uair into air-jump fair works the best to enlarge sideways trajectory and avoid a KO. If the knock-back Fox suffers isn't enough to KO him anyway, it's better to perform \/B, which doesn't stop momentum at all, but elevates Fox slightly, after the Uair (just don't tap "down" before the \/B imput, as you'll fast-fall too early). This makes Fox stay high and conserve the jump for it to be performed at whatever moment is required. EDIT: If Fox is being sent upwards, notice which side he is traveling into and hold the Control Stick towards said side. This is easier if you know a match-up, since, for example, Snake's Utilt sends people up and into him. You have to help your character keep moving towards a side because this makes his trajectory larger, making it harder for him to be star KOed. Don't pay too much attention to this, but what I do is C-stick up/down, tap downwards + direction (since I'm not sure if the C-stick makes you fast-fall automatically during knock-back), then hold the Control Stick fully towards the side. If I can be KOed sideways, I'll always Uair since it's better.

Someday I could become able to make a complete guide on Fox, but I think it's good to shed a bit of light meanwhile. Also, none of this is final and your own ideas could be better/wider than some of these.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
re: Momentum cancelling

Uair is better than Dair in almost all situations. Dair is very situational. Frame data and explanation is here.

TKD

Smash Lord
re: Momentum cancelling

Uair is better than Dair in almost all situations. Dair is very situational. Frame data and explanation is here.
I read the thread. It doesn't matter when the move ends if there's no chance of you being KOed sideways. C-stick down is better when only in risk of upwards KOs because you can hold the Control Stick all the way to the side while attempting to Dair. I also heard that if performing Dair with the C-stick, it automatically fast-falls even if performed out of hit-stun, which, if true, betters the window from where you input the aerial command to the fast-fall command, if even at least by 1 frame.

Jupz

Smash Master
TKD is right, you should always be Dairing if you're at the chance of dieing over the top. It doesn't matter when the move ends.

Also amazing guide TKD. Falling Nairs onto the opposite side of someones shield is great. If needed you can turn around shine as well.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
I refuse to believe that Fair is the easiest to fully do without landing lag. How do you buffer it if Fox is one of the quickest to leave the ground after inputting the jump command? Guess I don't have much controller skills...

On a good note, this should help me tons for reducing knockback with aerials and such. Everywhere else great job.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I refuse to believe that Fair is the easiest to fully do without landing lag. How do you buffer it if Fox is one of the quickest to leave the ground after inputting the jump command? Guess I don't have much controller skills...

On a good note, this should help me tons for reducing knockback with aerials and such. Everywhere else great job.
Personaly, and from a data standpoint i see B-air as the easiest since you have such a large windo to auto cancel it out of a short hop, and its the only one you can auto cancel dropping from a mid platform on BF.

TKD

Smash Lord
Fox's jump is actually pretty slow, which is annoying at first. Try MK's jump. That's really really quick.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Great guide. I will be implementing some of these gems into my game play with Fox. Of course some of these I knew already but this little mini guide has something for Fox players of all levels I would say.

Thanks for posting your insights TKD. I hope I can bring Fox to Michigan since I am no longer a Snake main. And Fox is more fun than Falco :)

TKD

Smash Lord
I reply to my thread to let you know I decided to start making a complete guide on Fox (by "complete" I mean everything I know). I think I'm better than most players on west coast for example, except DEHF, so the guide should be useful.

oh yeah but it'll be in spanish

napZzz

Smash Hero
dunno how many o fyou know and if this is new or not, but after playing zeton recently he kept dair'ing me out of the tornado by hitting me towards the middle <_< should be a little useful bit of info for those who didn't know and maybe struggle in that matchup. Sorry if its common knowledge, just trying to contribute :p

TKD

Smash Lord
actually it's more like other people are doing something wrong, since fox mk is even or slight fox advantage and foxes keep losing that one...snake's even too i think...both top tier chars.

RPK

Smash Lord
Im personally having trouble getting a kill...The fact that Im unable to hit any of my stuff is what is more or less troubling me. Especially if the opponent is ahead of me. I have trouble getting that kill in and its hard to find that mistake to take advantage of...

TKD

Smash Lord
You have to think more about the openings you have against each character and not being stubborn about KOing.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Counterpick; ICs basically hard counter Fox. There's not much he can do to reliably and consistently separate the climbers.

Top Bottom