• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How to continue this standard Fox on Falcon combo? or
How to do a combo 0%–high% on Falcon? (no wall/ceiling please)

I got 2 examples. on both the combo went wrong (even though Boom got the kill)

TANK :fox64: vs Ballin4Life :falcon64: Friendlies 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mU7XSyakKk&t=3m47s

SuperBoomFan :fox64: vs JaimeHR :falcon64: APEX 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5EfeCsLyaI&t=5m56s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Ls1QpRRx0&t=0m34s

Pop Falcon up with uairs and then you can start a fair chain

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
If you have tried the usual smash index/ my data thread and haven't found, then there's probably none. I could do one sometime, it shouldn't be difficult.
Found it burried deep in your thread in the section of data from the Japanese Nintendo Website:
Most characters have 3 frames of jumping animation
Falcon has 4
Yoshi has 5
Dk and Jiggs have 6
Link has 7.

That makes sense that I would be pressing A too early with link. Anyways thanks for offering to test it, glad I didn't have to put you to work this time :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Alright guys this is kind of embarrassing cause it's like the only technical thing in this game I can't do very well but...

Someone give me some tricks on how to teleport upsmash. I can't consistently do it. I find it harder than anything else in this game (mario's dair/upair isn't very difficult IMO).

I just don't understand the timing I guess.

EDIT: Which is easiest to upsmash with, A or R??

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I do it with A. You just have to get used to the timing of teleporting with just the control stick, and then you can add in the A-button for the upsmash.

I think the timing is something like this:

1. Start dashing. You're in the initial dash animation.
2. Once you're out of the initial dash animation, hold back on the control stick.
3. Immediately after you hold back, bress up on the control stick and A at the same time. The length of the teleport varies. You can have a really short one or one that looks ridiculously long.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I find the 3/4 circle method easiest for Fox's teleport upsmash, though I use the method Solo described for regular teleport with Jiggles.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I also find 3/4 circle easiest

if it helps I find that it feels like you have to press A tad later than you would expect. at first I would always press A a little too early

Sangoku

Smash Master
Instead of dashing to the right, suddenly going left for 3 frames, then up, then a, you turn your joystick clockwise from right, to down, to left, to up then a. Instead of right -> neutral -> left -> neutral -> up, you rotate to input right -> down -> left -> up. There's no theoretical advantage, it's just that for some people the timing is easier that way.

You obviously need to press a after up, since you can't usmash while running, you can only cancel your jump (which you can do while running) with an usmash. I mean this is common knowledge, but the usmash timing is the same as a dash usmash and not as a standing usmash.

Another obvious thing, but maybe it's worthwhile keeping in mind: the teleport length depends on how long you wait holding the back direction before jumping.

Just had an idea: we could easily find the timing of various things and make a video with something beating at that specific rhythm, maybe it could help? I was thinking of SHDL, teleport usmash, shine jab, that kind of things. Tell me if you guys think it might be useful.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Just had an idea: we could easily find the timing of various things and make a video with something beating at that specific rhythm, maybe it could help? I was thinking of SHDL, teleport usmash, shine jab, that kind of things. Tell me if you guys think it might be useful.
I think that would be cool. It is always hard trying to explain shdl online lol

Me: it goes "ba-dum-dum"

them: the **** are you talking about

M!nt

Smash Champion
I always jump-upair when I try to upsmash >.>

same problem with pikachu for some reason, it's weird

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
hmn when i get the good distanced teleport fox moves a fair bit sideways. like, ive done dsmash into teleshine, bouncing them off the tent with the dsmash

Sangoku

Smash Master
But you've thought of it or?

That's the difference it makes:

It looks like it's quite something, but in video I found it suprisingly disappointing/not impressing. Oh and don't forget you need to hold left for 3 frames, so if you instead continue dashing for these 3 frames, you'll get this:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Nobody said you shouldn't do it. It's just that the distance is really not that significant compared to the error rate increase. It could be cool in a (TAS) combo where the only possibility to hit with the shine is to teleport or something.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in the Q&A thread too, but anyone have tips on how to successfully fair chain? I can't get it right, are you supposed to use strong fairs or weak fairs? Or a combination?

Sangoku

Smash Master
It's too specific on the character/percentage. If the percentage isn't too high, I'd say it's better to land a first late fair so that it's strong and you have more time to continue (either by dashing or by doing quick short hop fair, again depending on %).

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
its not that hard to teleport tho, but i see your point.

against the tent are there any 0-death combos that come from a throw? i've been doing a lot of re grabs and chaingrabs against the tent recently

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
If I'm playing fox against falcon, what am I supposed to do if I land a dtlit on falcon at 0%? It seems like he reaches the ground before I can SH uair and often he is too far away to utilt

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Can someone make a comprehensive list of all the technical stuff with Fox ranked by usefulness so I/others know what else to should practice?

(example)

Essential:
SHDL

Pretty Useful:
Shine-lands on platforms
Shine shiedbreak
pivot off platform -> Bair
Pivot -> ledgehog

Useful:
Teleport usmash

Mostly Flash:
Shine->Jab

Pure Flash:
Fulldash Shine canceled pivot

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
nothing. tech-chase at best. into grab most consistently

also yobolight: full dash shine pivots are good on shield, for getting behind the person shielding. if thats even the same thing im thinking of

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Can someone make a comprehensive list of all the technical stuff with Fox ranked by usefulness so I/others know what else to should practice?

Essential:
Spacing and combos are all you need, but the below certainly help

Very Useful:
SHDL
SHL (I find it easier to fire this laser lower than the second laser of SHDL)
Shine cancel

Useful:
Shine-jab
Fastfall aerials from ledges (practicing this has improved my game dramatically)
Drop down lasers from ledges
Dash to ledgegrab

Situational:
Teleport upsmash
Shine-land - it looks cool and I do it to celebrate a kill, but it's really not that great. It's good for when you need to quickly get on the platform to get maximum height for an upair kill. Shine-land from the ledge is almost useless. Shine-land on platforms from the ledge are also almost useless. Don't let TANK tell you otherwise

Eh:
Pivot->ledgehog
pivot off platform -> Bair

I don't even know what this is:
Fulldash Shine canceled pivot

What we do in life echoes in eternity:
Shine shieldbreak

mixa

Banned via Warnings
What is Fox doing?

Kick-ups? Limbo dancing?

Actually, it's the glorious, non stale, Upsmash!

and NOW you can see at exactly which percentage the mighty Fox can kill the infamous Pikachu!
Killing the NE with more precision than ever!

Click below for those %s at your favourite competitive stages!

You can also print this, bring it to the tourney, and show it to your opponent as a way to intimidate him. I GOT YOU.
Wait, did I just discover the solution to the abundance of Pikas on tourneys? I HOPE SO.

[collapse=FOX BALLER]

[/collapse]

DAMN that's lower than I thought, I feel so inspired to go Fox on DL now! My pocket Pikachu has been released!

[collapse=notes:]IIRC, Han Solo said on DL it's 83%.
He's technically right because the knockback is calculated after the damage is dealt. So, 67 + 16 = 83. I think it's harder to work with that though.

I'd cover stale Up smashes, but why would you stale your Upsmash on this MU?[/collapse]

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Very useful post, thanks for the good work, mind if I upload this on Wikipedi...I mean ssbwiki?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
if you are in the tent on hyrule and are near the left wall, what is the minimum percent that pikachu will die at even if he di's into the wall? Or does that depend on how hard he di's into the wall I don't even know.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
While I was doing this, I thought about this DI situation, because honestly that's what will matter ingame, but like you, I don't even know if it depends on how hard the DI is or if wall DI has this sort of variation.

@Koro. Yes, you may post it wherever, even though ssbwiki has bad rep.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Cancelling your dash with a shine-cancel is mad mad maddddd usefull, you create a full stop after hitting someone away, creating the perfect spacing you want unbelievably quick, with every possible option for you to take. I use it regularly.

Say you forward-air a pika to the right side of dreamland, he'll either tech in place, misstech, tech left or tech right. Just run up to where he will be if he techs in place, shinecancel. If he techs or misses his tech, he'll either get hit or you'll stand perfectly ready for a punish.

If he techs to the left/right you can always make it with a grab/dashattack/upsmash. I sometimes use dashattack, when I feel my spacing or reaction time isn't perfect, but it'll often still reset the situation.

I see wayyyyy too many foxes trying to predict where someone will go after stuff like a forward air or whatever.. start using this!
If someone doesn't get it, I'll record it or something.

You can even use it quickly in repetition to achieve a semi-wavedash effect in 64, the accuracy with which you can space increases DRASTICALLY. It is pretty technically demanding, but nothing the average level player cannot do.

Don't bother learning this yet if you can't use lasers efficiently yet though.. Prioritize!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
shine rushing is pretty fun. or using shine as a way to stop the running animation, like in melee when you press down when running.

Top Bottom