• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

dlai226

Smash Rookie
So I'm not supposed to use x or y?
For a while I just switched to claw to JC Up-smash (Ring hand index finger hits Y at the same time right thumb hits up on the C-Stick). Overtime, I just decided to switch to the slam both Sticks up at the same time

TrevR

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0528-5701
Can Fox do a sh aerial to get over Marth's dash attack and hit him? Or am I going to have to fj to get over it?

g_f

Smash Cadet
How can you practice the fastest nair? basically I wanna guarantee I do a frame 7 nair as many times as possible. No access to 20xx. I know sheiks know they're doing the perfect (frame 6) nair if they can hit puff with the raising hitbox of the aerial... anything similar for fox?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How can you practice the fastest nair? basically I wanna guarantee I do a frame 7 nair as many times as possible. No access to 20xx. I know sheiks know they're doing the perfect (frame 6) nair if they can hit puff with the raising hitbox of the aerial... anything similar for fox?
You included solution in your post: pick sheik and try to hit puff with instant nair, it's the same input. Other thing you can look at is short hops becoming lower when you do aerial frame perfect. The effect is hard to notice but it is still recognizable.

g_f

Smash Cadet
You included solution in your post: pick sheik and try to hit puff with instant nair, it's the same input. Other thing you can look at is short hops becoming lower when you do aerial frame perfect. The effect is hard to notice but it is still recognizable.
interesting. but isn't the input slightly different since it's one frame earlier for sheik? is it a one frame buffering kind of thing? will pay attention to sh height from now on, definitely.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Both sheik and fox have 3 frame jumpsquat, so you need to input the nair frame 4 with both chars. With sheik the nair hitboxes come out a frame earlier, but that doesn't matter for the excecution.

Gr33ns

Smash Rookie
Hey does anybody wanna give this match a peek?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZR0D8w-lE
I am Red Fox.
Your edge guarding is bad, and your punish game/option choice can be greatly improved. For instance you Forward threw almost every time you got a grab and that got you nothing Up throw up air instead. You over use up tilt and you don't seem to know when moves combo into other moves. You choose no other option out of shield besides shine. Yes it is good priority wise, but it does not cover the space a back air will. Just because your opponent hits you with a charge smash attack does not mean you should go for those, most of the time it means they are a good player and got a read on your habits after one game, or they play you often, or it was dumb luck(lol).

Hope this helped.

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
How the **** do you shine-bair shield pressure? I just cant do it. I'm doing X+B and it just doesnt work

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I play against a Peach that loves to FC Fair, land, and then jab right away. What's the best punish for this? I was thinking Nair, but I haven't tried it yet. If so, when is the best time to do it? If you guys have any other solutions I'd love to hear them.
I know this is old, but you can shield the f-air and buffer spot-dodge the jab and then punish afterwards.

dlai226

Smash Rookie
This isn't really a Fox specific question, but how does one get the really far jump out of a moonwalk? I can do the moonwalk motion pretty well but I'm having trouble getting the "Launch" out of it,

tauKhan

Smash Lord
There's no secret or strange mechanics there; your speed before the jump determines how fast you'll jump off, along with the analog jump effect.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
How the **** do you shine-bair shield pressure? I just cant do it. I'm doing X+B and it just doesnt work
I'm assuming you can pressure with fox's other aerials, so bair might be giving you trouble since the timing is a little different. It has 3 more frames of landing lag than nair and more freeze frames as well. It's not much slower than nair-shine pressure, but reminding yourself to slow down might help you get the rhythm down.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hello Fox players. I often find myself in a situation where I'd like to shine while on a platform, but I suck and I fall through.
Now if I'm planning on doing an aerial before hand I can just hold down and then I'm fine, or if I WD or something I can get the stick down while I'm in lag.
However to do just a completely raw shine it seems very difficult.

I think the way to do it is to tilt the stick only half way down, so as not to trigger a platform drop, but still have it low enough to be able to use the shine instead of a blaster when I press B. This is kind of difficult and before I started practicing I figured it would be worth it to ask what you all do?

Perhaps you send the stick to a diagonal notch first instead to get it down more quickly, or you just super slowly tilt the stick all the way down, or perhaps you jump before the shine, sacrificing a few frames? Or maybe you all just plan better than I and get the stick down while you're in some lag, haha.
Anyway, love to hear your thoughts.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Hello Fox players. I often find myself in a situation where I'd like to shine while on a platform, but I suck and I fall through.
Now if I'm planning on doing an aerial before hand I can just hold down and then I'm fine, or if I WD or something I can get the stick down while I'm in lag.

I think the way to do it is to tilt the stick only half way down, so as not to trigger a platform drop, but still have it low enough to be able to use the shine instead of a blaster when I press B. This is kind of difficult and before I started practicing I figured it would be worth it to ask what you all do?

Perhaps you send the stick to a diagonal notch first instead to get it down more quickly, or you just super slowly tilt the stick all the way down, or perhaps you jump before the shine, sacrificing a few frames? Or maybe you all just plan better than I and get the stick down while you're in some lag, haha.
Are you having trouble getting the shine out? Or shining and still falling through.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman

With falco u can just jump--> shine immediately --> wd down to avoid dropping threw the platform. This may not be preferable with fox as certain characters become actionable immediately when they hit the ground after an aerial shine (ie, Peach) but depending on the situation I think u can decide if it would be useful to do so.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Are you having trouble getting the shine out? Or shining and still falling through.
I'm shining and falling through the platform. It usually messes with my WD timing and makes shine->SHFFL pressure impossible, sine I get a DJ instead of a SH.

With falco u can just jump--> shine immediately --> wd down to avoid dropping threw the platform. This may not be preferable with fox as certain characters become actionable immediately when they hit the ground after an aerial shine (ie, Peach) but depending on the situation I think u can decide if it would be useful to do so.
This seems to be the safest way, but I don't like the wasted frames in jumpsquat. That consistency would be appreciated though >.>

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I'm shining and falling through the platform. It usually messes with my WD timing and makes shine->SHFFL pressure impossible, sine I get a DJ instead of a SH.

I'm pretty sure this is a similar problem to inputing Up-B without using tab jump. I'm going to test it at home today, but I believe you just need to press down and B sequentially much faster than you're doing. Remember to let go of down the moment you shine as this will cause you to fall through the platform.

g_f

Smash Cadet
comboing a nair into shine vs a crouching fox at 0% is only possible if you do a weak nair, right? also, do you get more leniency for the combo if the nair is stale?

oh and one more thing: how hard (in term of frames) is it to link a running shine into a sh nair out of shine on another fox, assuming no di and pal version? i believe you also are required to move quite a bit forward with your nair in order to hit no di.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Hey. I'm working on my fox, and there's one thing I can't quite figure out myself : uair platform techase. I find it super hard to hit them on reaction, and drop it when they get-up attack or something.
-How is it done, is there more to it that just waiting below the platform and uair their tech option on reaction ?
-Should I be able to always react to missed tech and hit them before they can get-up attack ?
-Is tech in place > shine a good option to be safe from the uair tech-chase ?

theMagnumDragon

Smash Cadet
Hey. I'm working on my fox, and there's one thing I can't quite figure out myself : uair platform techase. I find it super hard to hit them on reaction, and drop it when they get-up attack or something.
-How is it done, is there more to it that just waiting below the platform and uair their tech option on reaction ?
-Should I be able to always react to missed tech and hit them before they can get-up attack ?
-Is tech in place > shine a good option to be safe from the uair tech-chase ?
A big part of the tech chase on reaction is positioning before the tech option. Watch top players and how they position themselves for the tech chase.

Always if you are positioned correctly. Just watch for the visual cue

Not as good as shield drop

g_f

Smash Cadet
honestly tech in place feels just like the easiest thing to hit with the upair. also tech in place shine frame perfect shine is a lot harder than tech in place frame perfect shield (just hold l/r), and that would protect from the uair just as well. tech roll to their back into frame perfect shine may honestly be your best bet.

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
honestly tech in place feels just like the easiest thing to hit with the upair. also tech in place shine frame perfect shine is a lot harder than tech in place frame perfect shield (just hold l/r), and that would protect from the uair just as well. tech roll to their back into frame perfect shine may honestly be your best bet.
If the fox is centered under the platform, and I tech behind fox and buffer shield, does the fox needs to smash turn to get the uair before my shield comes out ?

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
If the fox is centered under the platform, and I tech behind fox and buffer shield, does the fox needs to smash turn to get the uair before my shield comes out ?
Pretty sure on most if not all platforms fox has enough speed (without smash turn) to hit you.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys like to use to beat Peach's down smash on platforms?
U cant beat it straight up, but u can dd under her to bait it out and up air her for it. If u practice it enough u will get better at timing it so u catch her just after the hitbox disappears. U will be dsmashed many times practicing this lol

Top Bottom