• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

takieddine

Smash Master
use Y & R to wavedash...,

i used to be slow wavedashing with X and R, what is worse is wd with X and L, it just makes things harder IMO.

Krahman

Smash Rookie
Since I can't verse any human players and all I have to train on are CPUs, Which character makes a good warm up and opponent for Fox? Thanks

Play a avriety of lv. 3 cpus. they dont attack and have DI unlike lv1s. (more DI at least.)
Mainly upper tier characters, so its useful practice. =P thats what i do.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
ok i now i've asked before but here's a re-phrase of it: how do you beat a Young Link that jump alot? my cuz'n does that and it bothers me alot.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Upsmash out of your sheild when they are coming from above you...

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
oh that's a good one Hylian. So now i gotta practice Upsmashing out of my shield instead of wavedashing or SHFFLing.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
to upsmash out of a shield easy do this: Instead of upsmashing the normal way, click the control stick and then c-stick, near simultaneously. the control stick will start a jump, the up c-stick is an alternative method to smash with. they will happen after each-other so quickly that you will perform an up-smash seemingly directly out of your shield.

or jump-canceled up-c smash out of shield if you prefer the short sweet and to the point

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
anyways...

I've never been a huge SHFFLer in the past but I'm doing my best to improve. I've hit a roadblock of sorts. I play with guys who consistently play in lightning mode, and I have a small problem SHFFLing at such insane velocities. I am able to perform nearly all the other techniques flawlessly, with practice, at this speed. However this big, rather essential piece eludes me. Other than constant practice, what are a few good practices for effective SHFFLing?

So you're saying you want SHFFLing practice for lightning melee?
and it's essential? I wouldn't call anything in Lightning melee essential, just because it itself isn't. =P
nothing but practice though.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
if fox's lasers had knockback, that would be so broken.. but it would own SOOO HARD!!!! loll

but anyway, should i fastfall whenever i do sh drillshines? i was just wondering because i jus recently started pillaring correctly (fastfalling falcos dair, before i would just sh dair with no fastfall). and i was wondering if i should also apply fastfall to the drillshine. sry if this has alrdy been brought up

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I fastfall instinctivly >_>...But I would say it's better to fastfall so they have less time to think about smash DIing the shine >_>.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
ah i see. yea i mean sometimes i find myself fastfaslling the drill unconciously . but most of the time i jus let fox fall normally. oh well. im not good at fast falling my dairs with fox since i use the control stick to dair. but i have been experimenting with c-stick drillshines.

Addled_Leper

Smash Rookie
I know there are many Fox vs Marth threads, but this is more a specific question. Recently I played a Marth who was very sound at wavedashing. He'd wait for me to approach and then wavedash back/forward smash me. I couldn't find a way around it, except blastering him at long range/ short hop blaster at mid range. Once he started staying just about tipper range, I kept feeling the need to ariel assault.. but he'd just wavedash back and I kept eating side smashes. Any advice on approach/ tactics? I saw the sidesmash coming but still was a sad fox.

Next round I switched to Falco and short hop laser'ed in place. (Final destination =D )It was pretty gay. But very, very effective... lost by a stock still, but minus that accidental illusion things might of been more interesting. Oh well, it was alotta fun!

You could run at him and shield I guess. then punish after he smashes if he does it all that much.
you could jump near him, and when youre close enough to the ground, jump again, because it sounds like you land each time. that might get him to smash, and you'll be up thre from ur 2nd jump. then punish then.
if thats all he does, you could side-B at him LMAO

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Yep another question of Fox Vs. Marth
Ok today at a tourney here I went against a good wavedashing shorthopping Marth and everytime I went to evade I was caught in his down Smash and when I try and get back he either tips me Counters or wavedashes back and shines what can I do?

DiSCO

Smash Rookie
I can't SHDL. Period. It's just impossible given the way I hold the controller, and the way I short hop. (I flick the bottom of the X button with my thumb[nail].)
The movement is way too great for me to possibly SHDL, or even possibly hope to SHDL.

How much of a hindrance is this? I know that it's not like my damage will depend on it but the mindgaming aspect of it is fairly large.
I just picked up Fox a few days ago, and I'm still working on getting down waveshines, but I'm making progress in that aspect.
It's just those lasers. I can not, and will never be able to do (at least any time within the next few months, even then I doubt my thumb gets much faster).

tl;dr : I can't SHDL. How huge of a problem is this? Advice?
Advice on waveshining alse accepted, though I feel as though if I work on it enough I can do it. Doesn't mean words of wisdom aren't appreciated.

Yep another question of Fox Vs. Marth
Ok today at a tourney here I went against a good wavedashing shorthopping Marth and everytime I went to evade I was caught in his down Smash and when I try and get back he either tips me Counters or wavedashes back and shines what can I do?
What do you mean by "Go in and evade"? You'd go at him, but at the same time avoid him and still get hit? Or are you talking about recovering? If you're talking about recovering, up-b against the sadi of the stage and hold L or R within 1/3rd of a second of getting hit to tech. holding towards the stage would help too, so the tech would be more likely to occur.
if the marth is good enough, theres not much you can do off the ledge, just try not to try the same thing over and over. you can tech the side of the stage if you DI the counter right too.

I can't SHDL. Period. It's just impossible given the way I hold the controller, and the way I short hop. (I flick the bottom of the X button with my thumb[nail].)
The movement is way too great for me to possibly SHDL, or even possibly hope to SHDL.

How much of a hindrance is this? I know that it's not like my damage will depend on it but the mindgaming aspect of it is fairly large.
I just picked up Fox a few days ago, and I'm still working on getting down waveshines, but I'm making progress in that aspect.
It's just those lasers. I can not, and will never be able to do (at least any time within the next few months, even then I doubt my thumb gets much faster).

tl;dr : I can't SHDL. How huge of a problem is this? Advice?
Advice on waveshining alse accepted, though I feel as though if I work on it enough I can do it. Doesn't mean words of wisdom aren't appreciated.
SHDLing isn't very important at all. It might not seem possible at some points of beginning Fox, but after playing him enough you're hands get faster and used to things like that more. I myself like doing any variation of it with the control stick. its weird at first but if SHDLing is what you want, its worth it. =P
just practice. not in 1/3 speed or anything like that, that doesnt help at all.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
What I ment by evade is roll behind him and he would Down smash and hit me and what do you mean tech the side of the stage?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ewww don\'t roll >_>.

Kita

Smash Rookie
i feel stupid about this. I'm ok with fox, started playing him about 2 months ago and I have most of his stuff down (still trouble with JC grab and waveshining. the rest are fine).

I just played a pretty good falco for the first time, but I don't even think he is that good. He always catches me in the up-A attack (the one where he flicks his leg back and up) and does it like 6 times before I can get out.

He also uses the f-smash alot and I have no idea what to do about it. When he does it, I'm too far away for me to shield it and then grab him afterwards and rolling is of course out of the question because it still hits.

What do I do in both of these situations?

Thanks very much

For the "up-A" one, which is known as Falco's up tilt by the way, just hold a direction to get out, but prepare for a different attack once you're out of reach of that one.

just get used to when you think he'll fsmash and punish him for it. the more you play falcos, the better idea you'll have on what situations theyll do that in.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Then what do I do if I jump in the air he'll certainly counter my drillshine or anything else I try.
Oh and I'm having another prob when waveshining sometimes I do the foward b but not always and most of the time my wavedash won't get close enough to shine them

Change up your approach and don't always attack on the same jump or in the same spot so he won't get you each time.
As for waveshining, just practice.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
do u think using Y to wavedash, multishine, shdl is easier than using X? im looking at the controller and it seems Y is closer to b than X. ive been experimenting and i jus feel more comfortable with X, but i cannot multishine at all. it seems as if X > B is too far for my thumb to move in those short frames.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I use the control stick >_>...

Giggidax

Smash Ace
this isnt asking for advice or anything, but whenever people make pointless posts like the recent "waveshine faster" thread, Silent Wolf u should jus link them to this thread.

practicing makes perfact.
man im getting cramps in my thumb trying to double shine with fox. and i refuse to use the claw method

Giggidax

Smash Ace
the claw method is when u put ur right index finger on a jump button, with ur thumb pressing A, B, or the c-stick.

it feels very awkward if uve never held a controller this way before.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Ok ok, I need help Shorthopping, and wtf is with my waveshining I can only do it to the left...
And off topic I've heard about a shorthop mod on controllers how does it work because my tourny's over here don't know how to check for it.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
if this question was asked already sorry but i couldnt find it. what kind of mindgames should i play on samus. because the circle jumping and dashing and wavedashing back and shining the occasional missile doesnt really work for me.

just shine jump and fall with a bair a lot. change it up by double jumping sometimes and at different points so not to get hit. run away and laser. and after dairs, waveshine usmash. if nairs send her right, follow up with an usmash or uair.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
How do you shine blind? I am not sure is it reflector,wavedash reflector?? I tried it but it did not look connected at all. Also I wans wondering about the proper way to shine at the edge. Is like Jump reflector? what about when falco is trying to come back sometimes I try to use the reflector and I just get hit. please advise :)

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
reflector=shine
what you mean by "shined blind" is waveshining.
you shine, then Wavedash out of it, and repeat.

lol sorry I know that reflecter = shine I just wanted to make sure I was explaining myself clearly but what I mean by shine blinding is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcyBVJbhoo4

and as for shinning off the edge would that be a short hop shine? or can i simply just regulary jump and then shine?

just do whatever you can to get the hit box of the shine within range of the characters hitbox, then shine. jumping, dashing, wavedashing, w/e. :D

Press22

Smash Journeyman
That shined blind vid is just what he likes to call it, Shined blind really stands for a kill with a shines.

Top Bottom