• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I'm not wrong..DSHL works better against Ganon then Full Hop triple laser..Ganon's almost never use their double jump and they will for the most part be Short hopping in which case you should be DSHL not FHTL... If they are on a platform..of course you are not going to DSHL because no lasers will hit them...then you should FHTL but I didn't think I needed to mention that out of common sense. Down B? LOL. How slow of a reaction time do the people you play with have? That move is SO easy to see coming and hit has a wind-up lag that allows you to move fast enough to jump over it or just dash away in time...Down B is horrible on stage and isn't used by almost any good ganons and if it is its only once or twice a match. Even if they don't hit.

Like I said before..nairs are your best friend along with shine in this match..and yeah upthrow uair is good and you should never try to be above a ganon...his Uair is dangourous.
Full hop lasers force Ganon to double jump if they want to avoid all 3. Eitherwise, you're always guaranteed a hit unlike the SHL and DSHL.

Ganon's down+b is an awesome move and SHOULD only be used once or twice in a match. I'm positive I know my **** about this match-up.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Full hop lasers force Ganon to double jump if they want to avoid all 3. Eitherwise, you're always guaranteed a hit unlike the SHL and DSHL.

Ganon's down+b is an awesome move and SHOULD only be used once or twice in a match. I'm positive I know my **** about this match-up.
I play with one of the best Ganons in texas every day and I have played every good ganon in texas but like 1...I know this match-up pretty well.

Why would the Ganon be forced to double jump? When you FHTL the first two lasers are not going to hit him unless he ALREADY double jumped.. And the only laser that is going to hit him otherwise is the one on the way down..so why not just SHL if you are going to do that? If you DSHL both lasers will hit Ganondorf while he is on the ground and the top laser will always hit him if he short hops...the ganon isn't going to double jump because of your lasers unless you are very far away from him...fox can just uair him or full hopped nair or bair him if he does...and it is horrible to waste your DJ.

And you are never guaranteed a hit with FHTL..ever heard of a shield? Also FHTL is much slower then SHL and DSHL and the ganon can approach without taking as much damage..where DSHL usually both the lasers hit him and he takes more.

takieddine

Smash Master
SHDL can get marth ganon and a couple of other characters with two of the lasers, so in that its effective. but of course they have to be standing, so use SHDL for camping, and regular SHL for approaches and retreats.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I play with one of the best Ganons in texas every day and I have played every good ganon in texas but like 1...I know this match-up pretty well.

Why would the Ganon be forced to double jump? When you FHTL the first two lasers are not going to hit him unless he ALREADY double jumped.. And the only laser that is going to hit him otherwise is the one on the way down..so why not just SHL if you are going to do that? If you DSHL both lasers will hit Ganondorf while he is on the ground and the top laser will always hit him if he short hops...the ganon isn't going to double jump because of your lasers unless you are very far away from him...fox can just uair him or full hopped nair or bair him if he does...and it is horrible to waste your DJ.

And you are never guaranteed a hit with FHTL..ever heard of a shield? Also FHTL is much slower then SHL and DSHL and the ganon can approach without taking as much damage..where DSHL usually both the lasers hit him and he takes more.
Ganon's double jump plenty. Jump in toward the person, double jump back out. D-air to d-airs, d-airs to b-airs, b-airs to b-airs. Good Ganons mix up double aerials. Also because Ganon jumps plenty, without even double jumping, Ganon is in range of the middle laser for the full hop lasers. Anyway, it's a silly thing to argue about lasers since I don't think it makes or breaks this match-up.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ganon's double jump plenty. Jump in toward the person, double jump back out. D-air to d-airs, d-airs to b-airs, b-airs to b-airs. Good Ganons mix up double aerials. Also because Ganon jumps plenty, without even double jumping, Ganon is in range of the middle laser for the full hop lasers. Anyway, it's a silly thing to argue about lasers since I don't think it makes or breaks this match-up.

Ugh. I know Ganons Double jump pleanty..but all of the things you listed for him Djing are during him attack which you are not going to be lasering him at that moment in time. Also, again you are trying to hit him with one laser while I am trying to make him get into a bad position by trying to not get hit by two lasers. All I'm saying is that in this match-up unless you are playing on a small stage DSHL is better then TFHL or SHL.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
Hey there guys. I need some help on a few things.

1.how do i beat Young Link?
2.How can i learn how to shinespike someone?
3.just because i use the shield roll instead of wavedashing does that mean that i'm not an advance of novice player?

and that's about it. If someone could please answer this it would be awesome.

I'll answer the YL one right now. Up throw, up air, follow up with as many uairs as possible that can connect, then laser as he falls. camp. fox ***** young link. his uair also gets through your dair so dont come down on him too much. unless hes bad.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I guess I get #3.

First off I'm not to sure what you are trying to say because your wording is horrible >_>.

Wavedashing is nessisary in competative play with fox..It does not replace roll however even though most players will spotdodge as opposed to roll. The roll can be pradictable and easily punished..and when fox can move around so easily why roll? Just fox trot away...

Basically if you cannot wavedash then yes you are a novice player.

Also wavedashing shouldn't be compared to rolling.

No taunts influence stage hazards.
He probably just did the super taunt, and you saw team starfox talking, and I guess from the sound of it, they shot you because it was a coincidence.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
ok thanks for the tip guys. all though Zero FX could have answered better. What is Shined Blind a video? couldsome else take a shot at question 2 again please.

Go to youtube and type in "Shined Blind". I guess that'll show you how it's done. =P
So yes, it's a video.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
wow I've never seen someone play with Fox so fast before. I watched the video but didn't learn at lot. kind of but not alot. Do you guys think someone like me, a novice player, could learn how to do all that. Also do you guys think it's useful to practice wavedashing in training mode on slow-mo?

It is NOT useful to practice in slomo, if anything, it'll make you worse at it lol.
The best way to get good at something, is to practice that thing.
btw that was a very slow fox. ^_^

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
To me it felt fast...or mabey i'm on drugs? so you mean to tell me that that was a slow Fox? no way. I play a slow Fox(just a little slow). btw Silent Wolf would you by any chance(or anyone here)know how to tape yourself have a match with your friends. You get wat i mean?

I don't record for myself so I Wouldn't be too big of a help.
Go to the videograohy forum in video discussion.

darktiamat47

Smash Rookie
How exactly does someone pull off a waveshine? I've seen it done before and attempted it myself but i just cant do it? am i doing something wrong? please tell me step by step what to do plz. Thanks

p.s. fox is not my main but i still wish to get better with him

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
I'd answer your question but I'm in hurry and have a question of my own....In the shine blind video, Zelgadis jumped straight up and shine spiked a guy....How do you do that?

How exactly does someone pull off a waveshine? I've seen it done before and attempted it myself but i just cant do it? am i doing something wrong? please tell me step by step what to do plz. Thanks

p.s. fox is not my main but i still wish to get better with him
Press Down-B, and jump out of it and wavedash from that jump. If you don't jump out of your shine fast enough, you might not be able to do it without holding B. This is because you might go into the animation of the shine going away. You cannot jump when you're doing that.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
Twilightking do u mean when zelgadis Uthrowed the fox/falco and then jumped up and shined?
thats basically all there is to it. make sure u shine him slightly on his right side if ur at the left ledge and vica versa.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
so wherever the shine hits the opponent is the way they will go? Also could you guys post a link to where i can find Fox videos or post them here please?

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
I have a question with Fox. (Obviously!) I've masterred waveshine and can fluently pwn Link with it... But where do I go from there? What should I be working on now? I asked my friends when I first picked up Fox and they said all I need to learn is how to waveshine and I'll do fine... But now that I can do that what should I work towards now?

so wherever the shine hits the opponent is the way they will go? Also could you guys post a link to where i can find Fox videos or post them here please?
No, they don't go whichever way you shined them really, it all depends on DI. Usually they'll go downwards and at an angle though.

I have a question with Fox. (Obviously!) I've masterred waveshine and can fluently pwn Link with it... But where do I go from there? What should I be working on now? I asked my friends when I first picked up Fox and they said all I need to learn is how to waveshine and I'll do fine... But now that I can do that what should I work towards now?
Find out whatever you need work on in certain situations by watching videos and playing for your own personal experiences. Being able to waveshine doesn't really make a solid Fox. Mind games are just about everything, trust me. that's why you just play a bunch of different people in different match ups so you know what to do in situations.
If you mean what new tech can you work towards now, it's up to you. Go watch videos and if you see something cool, try it, and if you don't know exactly how it's done, send me the video via PM or post it here and I can help you.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Twilightking do u mean when zelgadis Uthrowed the fox/falco and then jumped up and shined?
thats basically all there is to it. make sure u shine him slightly on his right side if ur at the left ledge and vica versa.
Sorry I was'nt very specific because I was rushing and I assumed you'd know what I was talking about :p I meant when he was edge guarding, he jumped straight up and shine spiked a guy, I tired to do that but my jumps go in towards the stage and you can't do anything until near the land , so how did he do that? thanks in advance to anyone who answers my question :D

You need to drop off of the stage and then press either X, Y, or Up on the control stick. Just press down, then jump and shine. It's called ledge hopping

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Thanks :) I remember going over ledge hopping a while ago in the MLG guide, I must have forgotten about it, thanks anyways

takieddine

Smash Master
@ TwilightKing.

If you're having trouble shining the opponent because you're timing the shine a little bit off, this trick might help you (or anyone).

You can use the ledge invinvibility frames for a few moments. Jump on a ledge, then Quickly let go, your character will still be invincible but off the edge. Use that and that would be a guaranteed shinespike on ANY (except teleporting) recoveris!

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
this thread is good stuff, helped me a lot with my Fox. but i do have a question...

is a SHFFL'd nair a good attack to follow a "jumped-out-of" shine?

takieddine

Smash Master
yes, generally it is a safer horizontal approach, because the nair has a protruding hitbox in front of fox.

Try to mix it up though, because good shieldgrabbers would grab it easily(after shine).

Mix with full hop ff l-cancel nair...its too good on falco.

SmashNinja02

Smash Cadet
Yo wazup guys. been a while but i have a question: How can i shinespike Captain Falcon?
I've tried and failed miserably because his Up+B can harm me while going up so when you go down to spike him he catches me.

takieddine

Smash Master
get him from behind or above...

Or just wait till the grab hitbox for the up B ends(thatd be when he does the little flip at the top of his jump).

You could also get invincibility from the ledge, or try using the back of your shine, since Fox is more in the front part. That'll make it easier to get him without him getting you.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Falcon's recovery is teh h4x i cnt do n e ting cuz teh hitbox is so big. >_>

Get better at timing is all you can really do. Or do invincible shines, obviously.

Top Bottom