• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Again, asking the tourney-going public if MK should be banned is like holding a poll among billionaires to ask if rich people should pay more taxes; that's how popular MK is, heh.

I don't really have an opinion (I voted yes because I like upsets), but it should be noted that just because the public wants it by 1.1/3 minority doesn't mean it is best for the game.

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
I think we should ban Captain Falcon. I mean when he charges up with that up taunt, he just becomes a killing machine. And when you use it like 3 times in a row, sweet jesus are you ****ed

noradseven

Smash Lord
First of all, I don't think I ever gave the impression that I was surprised. I certainly am not surprised. And I won't be surprised if in a few months (provided MK is not banned), the number of MK mains more than doubles. I realize it takes skill to win, even with Metaknight, but it takes less skill to win, because the character itself has so many options and advantages.

When I'm fighting with Ike I have to think about everything I do, I have to constantly watch my spacing and I need to approach, all the time, even if I am disadvantaged. Metaknight does not need to approach all the time, he can camp and he can stall. He can wait it out until he sees a safe opening and he can take advantage of that opening very easily. Even a scrubby player using MK would beat an intermediate player using a low tier character at least half the time because Metaknights moves and capabilities are broken.
You think MK players don't have to do this, I mean seriously now. Also wtf you talking about MK NEEDS to approach if he is losing on the health/life side, I mean if anything the oppenent could just stand there and do nothing (lolol), this happens to us sometimes, only is with walking/rolling back and forth, to get in a better position.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Again, asking the tourney-going public if MK should be banned is like holding a poll among billionaires to ask if rich people should pay more taxes; that's how popular MK is, heh.

I don't really have an opinion (I voted yes because I like upsets), but it should be noted that just because the public wants it by 1.1/3 minority doesn't mean it is best for the game.
Ssh, logic and facts have no place here, this is where we use theory and unproven ideas!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
And your whole argument falls on

"Don't draw correlations with other games, we're not that game"

When the scientific community uses correlations all the time as observational evidence.

Or sorry am I not supposed to draw that correlation either?

You attack gigantic arguments with snide remarks and expect us to post substantial things back, if you can't look at a tournament where quite regularly the top 8 had only Chun li and a few Yun's and think nothing of it, you're ignorant to the point of being illiterate.
What more do you expect out of a non BRoomer grunt like myself other than insubstantial snide remarks and ignorance to the point of illiteracy? Obviously I am illiterate. That's a fact, proven by my incapability to read your post or to type this.

However, I'm done with this thread, it's gotten boring. The arguments are lame, the tangents are plentiful and ridiculous, and the logic is all but completely depleted.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Why Melee veterans do not play Brawl:

Its slow
no combos
no hit stun
Falcon sucks.
Meta Knight.

WHY they play Brawl:

$

Why people play Melee:

Its fun
you can combo
levels dont flip.
it takes more skill to win
its about 10X deeper than Brawl will ever be.
There arent stupid debates about banning characters who fly.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Crashic got banned before mk did, get *****.

how many infractions does mk have? 4th poll so what? 4?

Famous

Smash Champion
First I would like to say nice job to both sides for presenting their arguments. I will make a second post after reading through this thread, but for the meantime, I will refer only to the OP.

The red line is just nitpicking. Genesis was in Antioch, which was near San Fran. Normally, I would insert a smiley to stick a tongue at you, but the one of the emoticon eating it's eye is not appealing to me and actually creeps me out a little.

MK does not have unlimited safe options. While MK is pretty comfortable at nearly every junction, Marth can effective prevent MK from getting back onto the stage from the ledge until MK outsmarts him. Without the use of his tilts, or grab, Marth severely pressures MK since he generally beats him in the air. It is true however, that even Marth does not have answers to Dimension Cape shenanigans.

Marth is also at an extremely distinct advantage when MK is high in the air. MK is actually WEAK from below in many match-ups, such as vs. Marth. In Marth's case, he outranges MK's Dair with Uair, and can send him up again. Furthermore, Marth has greater aerial mobility than MK, so he can effectively juggle him or platform pressure him until MK goes for a ledge, which still leaves Marth in an advantageous situation. Metaknight can Tornado, but high in the air, this is punishable, so it is not at all broken. It is also beaten by Marth's Usmash. Of course, Marth still does not have answers to Dimension Cape shenanigans or planking.

Metaknight has the best recovery, but it is not perfect. A perfect recovery would be the ability to automatically transport yourself from any point to the ledge, or recover with unbeatable hitboxes in front of you. As it stands, MK has an excellent recovery, being able to transport himself to the ledge from an amazing distance, or using a priority ball to reach the ledge or stage. Still, Marth can challenge this. Both Counter and Dolphin Slash breaks all priority balls, which must be committed to when recovering. Dimension Cape is easily thwarted if Marth is holding the edge, or close to MK and hits him before he warps. If Marth hits MK far off stage, and jumps towards him backwards, his Bair will beat all of MK's aerials and hit Glide attack from below, where MK is weak when gliding. If MK tries to recover from low, Marth can pressure MK so that he is unable to SL to the ledge. If MK tries to Glide under the stage, nearly any character with a reasonable falling speed (Marth can do it) can drop down and FOOTSTOOL MK out of his glide.

Yes, MK has a lot of options, and he may have a perfect recovery. In that case, my brother claims that Marth has a perfect edge guard. Naturally, it's difficult to cover all of the options at once, and requires good reflexes, but it is possible to severely limit MK. Not every character is guarenteed to get hit once they get knocked off stage. In fact, edgeguarding Marth is nearly equally difficult, since he actually has aerial mobility, and is protected extremely well due to Fair/Bair/Counter. Dolphin Slash is invincible on start-up, and Dancing Blade prevents edge-hogs.

I feel like MK is helping other characters develop their metagame FASTER. If I had not invested discovering so many ways to beat or mimic MK with Marth, many of the things discovered would not have been learned. Furthermore, m2k discovered a lot of the ATs and strategies with MK, and since he is the best character, top players have developed him to win. Other characters are slowly catching up, even if their number of players is dropping. I completely agree with the fact that MK over-dominates mid-level play though.

Air camping does not beat Marth, lol. Actually, wait, yes it does! Please don't aircamp me LOLOLOLOL.:laugh:

I'm sad that my friends in the SBR haven't come to me with questions or discussion. I'm well versed in both sides of this argument and know quite a bit that I wish I could've contributed. :(
Every character doesn't have options like Marth...Even with all of Marth's options he still doesn't beat/outplace MK in tourney...

Someone also mentioned that it doesn't really matter if you win the 1st/2nd match since you'll always be stage counterpicked...This is somewhat true

Roxas M

Smash Master
First I would like to say nice job to both sides for presenting their arguments. I will make a second post after reading through this thread, but for the meantime, I will refer only to the OP.

The red line is just nitpicking. Genesis was in Antioch, which was near San Fran. Normally, I would insert a smiley to stick a tongue at you, but the one of the emoticon eating it's eye is not appealing to me and actually creeps me out a little.

MK does not have unlimited safe options. While MK is pretty comfortable at nearly every junction, Marth can effective prevent MK from getting back onto the stage from the ledge until MK outsmarts him. Without the use of his tilts, or grab, Marth severely pressures MK since he generally beats him in the air. It is true however, that even Marth does not have answers to Dimension Cape shenanigans.

Marth is also at an extremely distinct advantage when MK is high in the air. MK is actually WEAK from below in many match-ups, such as vs. Marth. In Marth's case, he outranges MK's Dair with Uair, and can send him up again. Furthermore, Marth has greater aerial mobility than MK, so he can effectively juggle him or platform pressure him until MK goes for a ledge, which still leaves Marth in an advantageous situation. Metaknight can Tornado, but high in the air, this is punishable, so it is not at all broken. It is also beaten by Marth's Usmash. Of course, Marth still does not have answers to Dimension Cape shenanigans or planking.

Metaknight has the best recovery, but it is not perfect. A perfect recovery would be the ability to automatically transport yourself from any point to the ledge, or recover with unbeatable hitboxes in front of you. As it stands, MK has an excellent recovery, being able to transport himself to the ledge from an amazing distance, or using a priority ball to reach the ledge or stage. Still, Marth can challenge this. Both Counter and Dolphin Slash breaks all priority balls, which must be committed to when recovering. Dimension Cape is easily thwarted if Marth is holding the edge, or close to MK and hits him before he warps. If Marth hits MK far off stage, and jumps towards him backwards, his Bair will beat all of MK's aerials and hit Glide attack from below, where MK is weak when gliding. If MK tries to recover from low, Marth can pressure MK so that he is unable to SL to the ledge. If MK tries to Glide under the stage, nearly any character with a reasonable falling speed (Marth can do it) can drop down and FOOTSTOOL MK out of his glide.

Yes, MK has a lot of options, and he may have a perfect recovery. In that case, my brother claims that Marth has a perfect edge guard. Naturally, it's difficult to cover all of the options at once, and requires good reflexes, but it is possible to severely limit MK. Not every character is guarenteed to get hit once they get knocked off stage. In fact, edgeguarding Marth is nearly equally difficult, since he actually has aerial mobility, and is protected extremely well due to Fair/Bair/Counter. Dolphin Slash is invincible on start-up, and Dancing Blade prevents edge-hogs.

I feel like MK is helping other characters develop their metagame FASTER. If I had not invested discovering so many ways to beat or mimic MK with Marth, many of the things discovered would not have been learned. Furthermore, m2k discovered a lot of the ATs and strategies with MK, and since he is the best character, top players have developed him to win. Other characters are slowly catching up, even if their number of players is dropping. I completely agree with the fact that MK over-dominates mid-level play though.

Air camping does not beat Marth, lol. Actually, wait, yes it does! Please don't aircamp me LOLOLOLOL.:laugh:

I'm sad that my friends in the SBR haven't come to me with questions or discussion. I'm well versed in both sides of this argument and know quite a bit that I wish I could've contributed. :(
it's....it's beautiful.
a perfect post that can be discussed and debated.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Well, the first two are right anyways. They don't argue that Metaknight isn't the best, they argue that he isn't nearly as good as people make him out to be.
Man, I fail at prepositions. I meant that they all work as arguments for why MK shouldn't be banned, but I guess that kinda factors into "No Johns."

'V'

Smash Lord
First of all, I don't think I ever gave the impression that I was surprised. I certainly am not surprised. And I won't be surprised if in a few months (provided MK is not banned), the number of MK mains more than doubles. I realize it takes skill to win, even with Metaknight, but it takes less skill to win, because the character itself has so many options and advantages.

When I'm fighting with Ike I have to think about everything I do, I have to constantly watch my spacing and I need to approach, all the time, even if I am disadvantaged. Metaknight does not need to approach all the time, he can camp and he can stall. He can wait it out until he sees a safe opening and he can take advantage of that opening very easily. Even a scrubby player using MK would beat an intermediate player using a low tier character at least half the time because Metaknights moves and capabilities are broken.
True that, but it isn't just Meta Knight that does that. All of the other top tiers do that to low tiers as well. Some other top tiers are even worse than Meta Knight for quite a few low tiers. Which is why I say if you're gonna ban him, ban more characters as well because the game's only gonna be more balanced for the top end of the tier list. The lower end will still continue to get destroyed.

Top tiers in smash as a whole are all broken.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
By the outlined definition of bannable (alien to the game, etc.) I don't actually believe MK should be banned because I don't feel that he is vastly superior to the rest of the cast. In fact I don't feel he is vastly superior to anyone but a very few characters in the cast. That said though I do realize he has advantages over a great deal of the cast and I do however feel that for the sake of keeping the game entertaining he should be banned due to inherently limiting the development of a large number of characters.

I know this isn't a full argument, but I've discussed my full argument with a number of people and don't feel like going through the hours it will take to write the whole thing out. Don't try to argue the obvious flaws in my stance because in my previous discussions with other players I have beaten them into the ground and dislike redundancy.

Voting ban; I've even been maining MK at recent tournaments and I still feel this game will be more enjoyable for more people without MK than with. When it comes down to it we play this game because it is fun, regardless of what technicalities you want to argue the less entertaining the game becomes the faster the community will die - and MK dittos (and 4x MK doubles grand finals) are already getting really old.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Because Ally is a LOT better than everyone bar a very select few players.

I hope this isn't the best argument anti-ban has to offer, Jesus.
he is, he nearly defeated M2K with CF. And DSF or Dojo (not sure) too.

This shows how amazing Ally just is.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
If ppl ban MK, they're gonna ban other chars after that....

And, if we ban MK, a lot a ppl will most likely quit.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
he is, he nearly defeated M2K with CF. And DSF or Dojo (not sure) too.

This shows how amazing Ally just is.
Falcon also doesn't have the worst matchup against MK.

People need to understand that:

Bad character vs Good character != Bad matchup

EDIT:
@Above
I'm Anti-Ban, and anyone who argues the landslide effect needs to GTFO. Seriously, it wouldn't work like that. The other characters don't meet anywhere near the level of Meta Knight. Holy ****, I can't believe people still try to use the landslide argument.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
this is based off the match up charts

Smash 64

Top-Pikachu: #of bad matchups:0
#of even matchups:0

Smash Bros. Melee

Top-Fox: #of bad machups: 1
#of even matchups:1

Smash Bros. Brawl

Top-Meta knight: #of bad matchups:0
#of even matchups:3

ok, according to this chart, of all the 3 tops of Smash, Pikachu if used effectively is the most broken, since a skilled pika has the edge over everyone. Fox comes in with his usual effectiveness and dominance, tieing with Marth as a match up and only having a slight disadvantage against skilled Falcos. Meta Knight, as has been stated many times, has no bad mach ups, but has the most even match ups of the group.
on the list, it was stated that IC's, Falco, and Wario could fight an even game with him, and even though it's out of date, according to most pros he fights even with Diddy, Wario(still) and Snake, so it's still 3 regardless. the point of my topic is that from what I heard( mostly from a podcast) is that one of the main reasons that Meta should be banned is because of his near-perfect matchups, yet according to this, he has roughly some of the most even for top tiers. in fact, Pikachu from 64 has the best matchups IN THE ENTIRE SERIES. the exact kind of matchups that people said Meta has...but doesn't. Meta has specials that can be used as recoveries(every one of 'em), high knockback in his ^B, and the most unpredictable approaches of all the characters.....but I say he should not be banned. why? for he will advance the game for you brawlers. when Melee was an infant before I got into the Smash community, Shiek was called the most overpowered character as well. and how did the Melee community react?they advanced the game, so they could eventually counter skilled Shieks. that was when Advanced techs started having their big boom. Brawl, by it's nature, is designed to be a completely different game from Melee. so obviously sticking to the same ol' same ol' and porting them to a new game will not work. after all, if someone walks into Street Fighter III expecting the same usual techs as Street fighter II without advancing their skills, they usually end up with their *** kicked. this is the chance for you guys who play Brawl to try and discover new techs, and Meta is the wall you will have to break. besides, it's not like he's the most broken fighting game character ever.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Falcon also doesn't have the worst matchup against MK.

People need to understand that:

Bad character vs Good character != Bad matchup

EDIT:
@Above
I'm Anti-Ban, and anyone who argues the landslide effect needs to GTFO. Seriously, it wouldn't work like that. The other characters don't meet anywhere near the level of Meta Knight. Holy ****, I can't believe people still try to use the landslide argument.
The CF boards have the match-up listed as 80:20. I know that doesn't mean jack, but I was always under the impression CF vs MK was bad. Like really bad.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Its slow
Falcon sucks.
These are my main gripes with brawl, thankfully, once you start getting really deep into the game the input speed revs up alot at least with ZSS, at least my hand feels like its on fire doing dances all over the place just to move back like 4-5 inches while facing the right way while doing it in a way to minimize tripping, and be subtle.

But then again falcon sucking only increases the manhood level when you win with him.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Every character doesn't have options like Marth...Even with all of Marth's options he still doesn't beat/outplace MK in tourney...

Someone also mentioned that it doesn't really matter if you win the 1st/2nd match since you'll always be stage counterpicked...This is somewhat true
This is true.

even though MARTH may have options, marth can be beaten in other ways. He has qualities that hurt him. MK does NOT. Not even the lightweight argument works. He's out of place, and bends the edgegame to an extreme point. Characters with weak edgegames get pushed out of the potential they could reach due to MK. And not just GOOD MK's, horrid MKs can make good players look bad too <_<;

'V'

Smash Lord

Its slow
no combos
no hit stun
Falcon sucks.
Meta Knight.

WHY they play Brawl:

$

Why people play Melee:

Its fun
you can combo
levels dont flip.
it takes more skill to win
its about 10X deeper than Brawl will ever be.
There arent stupid debates about banning characters who fly.
QFT. Even though Melee's still pretty broken, it's much more entertaining and fun than Brawl is by far.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Praxis said:
Before anyone brings up Akuma again, consider this.

Generally, Akuma and MK is a bad comparison because Akuma 90:10'd his whole cast. But...has anyone considered the cast of HD Remix?

In Street Fighter II HD Remix, Akuma was REBALANCED (by David Sirlin himself, hired by Capcom) to be a playable character, intended to be tournament legal.

He ended up having no bad matchups, but still being beatable and not even winning every tournament.

The SF community fought for months. Several anti MK ban smash players like AlphaZealot were arguing against banning him too.

In the end- the SF community banned him, and he was banned at Evo. And David Sirlin SUPPORTED this.

A major player wrote:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=170255

Street Fighter II HD Remix Akuma == Metaknight?
I'm assuming this is the quote your talking about?
lftrpllr said:
It's as simple as this: Akuma does not fit well into this game. The risk/reward with this character is so out of whack with every other character in the game. Sure, some characters can fight him, but no one can go toe to toe with him. Banning him simply keeps the game more interesting on the tournament level. He might not win every tournament, but guaranteed someone (who probably doesn't deserve it) will finish very high in the placing with him on a consistent basis.
Just plug MK's name into this instead of Akuma. And here I was thinking SF players were more stubborn than Brawl players...

Llumys

Smash Champion
guys, why there is so much subaru? cause it is cheap car. like golf... the look of subaru is like ****. no style, no history - take a look at EVO. those how hate EVO. try look at new EVO X and new Suabru. EVO forever. was riding subaru GT, than Evo 6. forget subaru find something more than few stars, find revolution.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
you're dumb, most melee players are anti-ban
You should probably think before you type. Most Melee players are anti ban because most melee players wish melee was still around so they could have fun and make money but since Brawl is the preferred game they use MK and make money off of people.

PC Chris and Cort hate Brawl but when they played they played for the $

M2K plays for the money and definitely prefers and respects Melee more so than Brawl.

If the money was in Melee......we would all still be playing Melee.

But no, we have to play Brawl where we debate flying characters and whiny stupid arrogant people vote without a viable reason, and pro banners whine and complain and ***** and we go through this cycle of crap after every big tournament.

Brawl is garbage. Not just as a game but it has ****ED this community up.

Does anyone remember when everyone was friendly and we all enjoyed playing Melee and BRAWL wasnt out yet? I do. Life was good.

noradseven

Smash Lord
QFT. Even though Melee's still pretty broken, it's much more entertaining and fun than Brawl is by far.
My problem with melee is this is what goes though my head, okay why arn't I playing Melty blood right now. Brawl has a unique feel to it and thats kinda why I defend it, because melee feels more like other fighters which I already play alot of.

SuSa

Banned via Administration

@SFP
The more I play some matchups, the less I believe many matchup ratios. I sincerely believe Falcon vs MK is at worst 65-35 (Strong Disadvantage) for Falcon. Which is borderline impossible to win.. that's why Ally was "almost' the winner, and not the winner.... but I was arguing against the logic in general rather then this particular matchup.

EG:
Link/Ganon actually go pretty well against Snake.
Bottom 2 chars == 2nd best?

I end my case.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
The CF boards have the match-up listed as 80:20. I know that doesn't mean jack, but I was always under the impression CF vs MK was bad. Like really bad.
I helped discuss some of the early matchup.

Falcon has NOTHING on MK.

Well, Falcon kick I think can break tornado.

Outside of that, Falcon can't approach because MK locks down ground/low aerial approaches with fair/dtilt/ftilt, high approaches with uair, and running only puts you closer to MK's fatal edgegame. The first time I got daired by a MK WHILE FALCON DIVING, I put my controller down and let myself fall. Its bad. VERY BAD.

The dude who edgeguarded me got demolished next match, 2 stocks, by my snake. Its not cool bro, not cool.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
He seriously needs to be gone. The overexposure to controversy has only damaged his reason to remain part of the game.

itsWillyo

Smash Rookie
even tho pro ban is in the lead it would be very disheartening to see us not reach 66.6 percent

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
You should probably think before you type. Most Melee players are anti ban because most melee players wish melee was still around so they could have fun and make money but since Brawl is the preferred game they use MK and make money off of people.

M2K plays for the money and definitely prefers and respects Melee more so than Brawl.

But no, we have to play Brawl where we debate flying characters and whiny stupid arrogant people vote without a viable reason, and pro banners whine and complain and ***** and we go through this cycle of crap after every big tournament.

Does anyone remember when everyone was friendly and we all enjoyed playing Melee and BRAWL wasnt out yet? I do. Life was good.
you just typed a whole lot and made no effort to address my point

most melee players are anti-ban because mk is fun to play and fun to watch (usually, more-so than falco and wario)

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace

I remember the times when the melee kids knew when to stop trolling topics that don't concern them.

NO JOHNS

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Goody goody, another ban Meta Knight thread. Now all I need is some popcorn and see if anti ban would place higher this time... but that won't happen if a whole lot of people can't stand Meta Knight. >.<

I'm still anti ban.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
LOL Pierce, air planking is broken as ****

Also, Marths ability to juggle MK is overrated imo. He can just fly away or shuttle loop ledge cancel if he wants.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

T h i s . .

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Goody goody, another ban Meta Knight thread. Now all I need is some popcorn and see if anti ban would place higher this time... but that won't happen if a whole lot of people can't stand Meta Knight. >.<

I'm still anti ban.
I'm anti custom formatting. Seriously, you are not cute or original, please keep the cute hearts, pink text and stars to a minimum so I don't have an aneurysm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom