• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fortress ***** even more than all of us except for MrEh thought

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Finally I was able to advance Bowser's metagame, too. YAY!

Okay, so, the following. Bowser is able to plank. Not only that, he also planks **** good. Grab the ledge, drop, and immediately UpB. It works everywhere, I tried it on 5 different stages very consistently for several minutes. Considering Fortress has invincibility frames, he's even worse than Meta Knight or Game and Watch with this.

You have to time well and train it, since Bowser falls rather quickly, but dayum. Bowser can plank with Fortress.

Additionally, I've found something on accident. While holding the ledge and preparing to drop, I used the UpB a bit too fast, resulting in Bowser not dropping down and immediately using the Fortress instead. Sounds not too strange right? Well, if there wasn't one single detail that is different. Remember when you use Aerial Fortress and you have awful landing lag when dropping? If you use it from the ledge and perform it correctly, there is no landing lag.

So yea. Fortress really is too good.
I unfortunately have no videos of this, but I consistently did it, so I'm 100% certain it works. Liquid Gen is also currently trying it and probably will confirm it.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Can we please stop using the word "****" as a connotation for "does well"?

Have you tested with a charizard breathing fire in the air from above the ledge?

The no landing lag is not exactly true, there is reduced lag, it depends on how far you fall with fortress.

Also personally I could care less if Bowser is the best planker in the game, I'm not ever going to plank. Ever.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Can we please stop using the word "****" as a connotation for "does well"?
No.

Have you tested with a charizard breathing fire in the air from above the ledge?
You mean the planking? No, why should I? It wouldn't do anything, Bowser grabs the ledge before a flame of Charizard would touch him.

The no landing lag is not exactly true, there is reduced lag, it depends on how far you fall with fortress.
Yea, like 1 or 2 frames of landing lag, I give you that.

Also personally I could care less if Bowser is the best planker in the game, I'm not ever going to plank. Ever.
That's your thing. *shrugs*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
To see if the theorycraft really applies...

I don't think you understand, if this is truly unstoppable, Bowser will be immediately banned.
I doubt he'd be banned, but I'm sure planking or his UpB Planking would be, but I see where you're coming from.

I'm too lazy to start up my Wii now, I've asked Liquid Gen to test it (though he hasn't responded to it yet). If he doesn't answer me or here, I'll try it tomorrow.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
You can do this with Marth too, you are susceptible to being ledge hogged and you'll just up b onto the stage.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Aren't you punishable in the time you drop?
Fortress (the invincibility frames) comes out at frame 1. If you learn the mashing of Down then UpB well enough, you should be able to do this without any punishable window - even if, it's only a few frames small.

You can do this with Marth too, you are susceptible to being ledge hogged and you'll just up b onto the stage.
Really? Ledge hogging? How? That's not possible, noone can react that fast to ledgehog if the ledge's not even open for a second.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Longer lasting hitboxes would hit you out though. Still, this is an advancement, but it's gay that is just had to be planking. Brawl is becoming more and more campy. :(

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Longer lasting hitboxes would hit you out though. Still, this is an advancement, but it's gay that is just had to be planking. Brawl is becoming more and more campy. :(
Probably. I haven't tested it very well yet, but he still is able to plank pretty good.

And well, you know... I kinda was curious whether Bowser is able to do this, so I tried. And it worked.

Besides, there's also the lagless UpB, which also is an advancement.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No. I honestly thought that people knew about this already. lol
This is quite shocking... both the ledgestalling and the lag cancelling? Wow... *kicks the ground* And there I discovered something revolutionary.

Well at least now it's official.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Finally I was able to advance Bowser's metagame, too. YAY!

Okay, so, the following. Bowser is able to plank. Not only that, he also planks **** good. Grab the ledge, drop, and immediately UpB. It works everywhere, I tried it on 5 different stages very consistently for several minutes. Considering Fortress has invincibility frames, he's even worse than Meta Knight or Game and Watch with this.

You have to time well and train it, since Bowser falls rather quickly, but dayum. Bowser can plank with Fortress.

Additionally, I've found something on accident. While holding the ledge and preparing to drop, I used the UpB a bit too fast, resulting in Bowser not dropping down and immediately using the Fortress instead. Sounds not too strange right? Well, if there wasn't one single detail that is different. Remember when you use Aerial Fortress and you have awful landing lag when dropping? If you use it from the ledge and perform it correctly, there is no landing lag.

So yea. Fortress really is too good.
I unfortunately have no videos of this, but I consistently did it, so I'm 100% certain it works. Liquid Gen is also currently trying it and probably will confirm it.
Ummm, this was known, the Marth boards have known it with Dolphin slash (which has the same essential properties) for quite a while. With all the stuff that the bowser boards do with fortress, we thought you guys knew.

Thinking about it now, it might be more useful for you since fortress going onstage is a LOT less punishable then dolphin slash. Also, I don't know this too well, but how's bowser's existing ledge game?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Fortress (the invincibility frames) comes out at frame 1. If you learn the mashing of Down then UpB well enough, you should be able to do this without any punishable window - even if, it's only a few frames small.

Really? Ledge hogging? How? That's not possible, noone can react that fast to ledgehog if the ledge's not even open for a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5rifkmIm8&feature=channel_page

marth can do it faster than that too

yes you can definitely get ledge hogged.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Ummm, this was known, the Marth boards have known it with Dolphin slash (which has the same essential properties) for quite a while. With all the stuff that the bowser boards do with fortress, we thought you guys knew.

Thinking about it now, it might be more useful for you since fortress going onstage is a LOT less punishable then dolphin slash. Also, I don't know this too well, but how's bowser's existing ledge game?
At the moment it sucks, but I've been proposing new mix-ups into it to try and nurture ledge jump, the only real good option we have. It's in my R&D thread if you're interested.

But no, excluding ledge jump, nothing spectacular.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, we're the Bowser boards. We don't get any news, noone visits us or likes us and everyone hates on our character and says they have a 70:30 matchup on him cause he's "slow"! How are we supposed to know?
JK. I just didn't know it was already known, and apparently at least MrEh was aware of it.

Also, I don't know this too well, but how's bowser's existing ledge game?
It's kinda bad, actually.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, we're the Bowser boards. We don't get any news, noone visits us or likes us and everyone hates on our character and says they have a 70:30 matchup on him cause he's "slow"! How are we supposed to know?
JK. I just didn't know it was already known, and apparently at least MrEh was aware of it.
Lol, well you know now, what are you gonna do with it.

It's kinda bad, actually.
Work on it. It's a lot safer then Marth's because Fortress is a lot less punishable if you get ledge-grabbed.

We already know our ledge game is bad, but Bowser's metagame is a lot younger, if you can develop it to the point where you're at a legit advantage on the ledge like MK, it'll probably turn quite a few match-ups around with this.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I think Bowser's ledge game is decent, but that's just me.

I tend not to plank anyway, so eh.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I thought everyone already know that Bowser could plank well. >_> It seemed kinda obvious to me. Drop down, invincibility from frames 1-5, grab on frame 6, repeat. DK could do this fairly well as well, but would have 2 or 3 frames where he is open to attack.

Poor Ike can't plank at all. Not only is aether terrible for it, he can only grab on 5 times in a row with Aether before he'll miss the ledge....and QD is lol.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
So... I'm with MrEh on this one. I ledgestall with upb all the time after I kill my opponent until their invincibility frames run out.

What's next, a thread about how you can *gasp* do a short hop fair and land without lag? Or a thread about how you can WaVeBoUnCe Firebreath?

quicktime edit: pasted this thread link on an irc chat I'm in and ColinJF, a Ness main who has used Bowser around 9 or 10 times total in brawl (probably all on wifi to boot) replied:

[19:59:51] <Colin> wow
[19:59:59] <Colin> even *I* do that with Bowser, Phiddlesticks

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Wait how is this new...? I always did this lol. Not actual planking, but I did use ledgedrop Fortress.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Adumbrodeous, you've been hanging out with us Bowser's a lot recently. You wouldn't be happening to second him or something, would you?
No, if I seconded him I'd know a bit about his ledge game.

Nah, I noticed spadefox's post on the infinite, and that got me interested, so I dropped by a few times.

shadownoss45

Smash Cadet

i think you mean that this was known for marths but not everyone can do it and bowsers didnt know that bowser could do it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Fair enough. I recommend sticking with us, we're all pretty cool/weird.
Well I'm currently seeing another King of Evil, Ganondorf.

Nah, seriously, I've been considering picking up Bowser as a secondary, so maybe you'll see me around more often.

i think you mean that this was known for marths but not everyone can do it and bowsers didnt know that bowser could do it.
Nah, what you need was the up-b that gives you a boost while you're invincible and is invincable till that point, so it was known in principal that it should apply to bowser.

Evidently everyone figured this out except the bowser boards judging by the earlier posted conversation (MrEh excluded, cause he's awesome).

B!squick

Smash Master
I think I sorta knew this in the back of my mind, I just never really applied it to anything as I'm usually more concerned with getting back on stage as opposed to planking, lol. But yes, we should make note of this in the meta thread about his ledge game.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
i knew bout this already.not useful since if u grab the edge to much u lose the match automatically.plankin isnt very useful with bowser.he already is defensive.why would he be avoidin people.not like mk where u can shuttle loop the person when ur on edge.fortress isnt as useful in this way.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Not to put a damper on but I knew about this too. I didn't know howeevr that you can upb right from the ledge, there is no landindlag because he didn't travel too high in the air the same thing will happen if you short hop then just before you hit the ground upb.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So... I'm with MrEh on this one. I ledgestall with upb all the time after I kill my opponent until their invincibility frames run out.

What's next, a thread about how you can *gasp* do a short hop fair and land without lag? Or a thread about how you can WaVeBoUnCe Firebreath?

quicktime edit: pasted this thread link on an irc chat I'm in and ColinJF, a Ness main who has used Bowser around 9 or 10 times total in brawl (probably all on wifi to boot) replied:

[19:59:51] <Colin> wow
[19:59:59] <Colin> even *I* do that with Bowser, Phiddlesticks
Great. Now even the Bowser mains attack me. Fine, if you want me to leave, there you have it.

Farewell, Bowser boards.

Top Bottom