• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

forget it, close/delete this

do you play the piano

• i play the piano

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • i do not play the piano

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEES

Smash Lord
I see where you're going with this. It is the exact same learning process.

Any string instrument would also be the same.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Being good at Melee does not depend on your skills in the form of the piano, but rather at how big your **** is, which is why there are no good femal Melee players/no sexism.
Milk Tea still plays melee <3 (I think) and no cheating Mr.swordsman we all know you use Extenze to make yourself larger, to improve performance and pleasure for melee.

joeplicate

Smash Master
hahaha dude this thread is absolutely not ********, it's completely on point

playing piano and learning tech skill are exactly the same
it's 100% muscle memory, and the process for learning both of them are the same
i might have to practice tech skill tonight LOL

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea but doing one does not make you better at doing the other. theres no causal relationship.

only playing piano can increase your motor functioning for playing piano, vice versa for melee. So this thread is just asking which melee players happen to do something else.

might as well ask how many of us also play beer pong.

Pi

Smash Hero
yea but doing one does not make you better at doing the other. theres no causal relationship.

only playing piano can increase your motor functioning for playing piano, vice versa for melee. So this thread is just asking which melee players happen to do something else.

might as well ask how many of us also play beer pong.
not really

if there is a significant relationship between tech skill & piano playing you can look at how to practice one or the other from one or the other

JPOBS

Smash Hero
not really

if there is a significant relationship between tech skill & piano playing you can look at how to practice one or the other from one or the other
its 5am and im bored of studying so im happy to chit chat about this.

i don't know what you mean by a "significant relationship between tech skill and piano playing". maybe you mean if significant numbers of people play both coincedentaly then there could be a correlation. or maybe you mean being good at the piano can make you better at tech skill.

Either way, i disagree on both fronts (or any other meanings really). Its true that both piano playing and tech skill practice increase the motor functioning of the fingers by improving brain motor cortex allocation to that region of the body, however it doesn't really help in any other practice other than that which you've used to expand your abilities.

Essentially, if you spent tons of times making complex but meaningless finger motions, your finger motor skills would be increased, but only in relation to making complex and meaningless finger motions. Likewise, being great at the piano only makes you great at the piano, it wouldn't actually help at all in being great at melee.

theres nothing to be transfered from the practice of piano to melee, because no amount of improvement via piano practice couldn't have been gained from practice of melee alone. however, it is possible to be coincedentally great at both, but thats different.
This is (for example) why the fastest Freestyle swimmer in the world, isnt also the fastest Backstroker/Buttferly swimer etc. They are similar but not transferable skills cuz thats just not how the body works.

there'd be more of a case to make if the gamecube controller was shaped exactly like the piano. :)

tl;dr meh, the body doesn't gain anything from practicing one motor skill set in lieu of another that it couldn't have gained by simply practicing the skill set of interest ad infinitum. therefore, discussing the concept of if melee players play/do anything non-melee related is really only useful for purposes of breeze shooting.

joeplicate

Smash Master
learning a piece on piano and learning new finger motions for tech skill in melee seem very similar to me

you learn how to practice, essentially, and incorporate new things into your subconscious (muscle) memory

playing piano offered me basically a new perspective on learning tech skill

joeplicate

Smash Master
Well, not just mentality stuff, physical stuff too.

It's like playing piano strengthened a different part of my brain, which helped out with learning tech skill later.

Also, having fast, flexible hands feels great. Playing piano helps me remember that all you need to do is press the buttons you want to press. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's like my hands are more receptive to learning new things. When I used to really play, I would go back to my computer after a piano lesson and be instantly warmed up for stepmania, and be able to type super fast. It's more than having blood flowing through my hands, too, it's like the learning centers in my brain were warmed up too. It's a pretty good feeling.

Plus your hands don't get cramped from gripping the hell out of a tiny gamecube controller LOL

Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense, it's really late and my thoughts are jumbled.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I took 5 years of piano, used to play Moonlight Sonata flawlessly. Haven't touched it in over 10 years though. Now I'm a beginner at guitar.

rhan

Smash Hero
I took 5 years of piano, used to play Moonlight Sonata flawlessly. Haven't touched it in over 10 years though. Now I'm a beginner at guitar.
I smell a Resident Evil fan.

On topic.

No I don't.

But I know 3 friends/smashers that do.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I played when I was little but was terrible because I didn't care about it too much but grandpa is a great teacher he teaches college classes and junk not piano but other music stuff. If you don't want to sit down and learn it and want the end result you'll fail if you don't want it enough like piano or smash. that's how they're most related I think

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Playing Trombone massively helps mindgames.

They try and trick you out with a moonwalk, and you glissando all over them. Nobody else has them skills.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Well, not just mentality stuff, physical stuff too.

It's like playing piano strengthened a different part of my brain, which helped out with learning tech skill later.

Also, having fast, flexible hands feels great. Playing piano helps me remember that all you need to do is press the buttons you want to press. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's like my hands are more receptive to learning new things. When I used to really play, I would go back to my computer after a piano lesson and be instantly warmed up for stepmania, and be able to type super fast. It's more than having blood flowing through my hands, too, it's like the learning centers in my brain were warmed up too. It's a pretty good feeling.

Plus your hands don't get cramped from gripping the hell out of a tiny gamecube controller LOL

Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense, it's really late and my thoughts are jumbled.
makes sense, i see where you're coming from.

Rykard

Smash Ace
i'm a saxophone music major at my college and a lot of time when i practice my instruments i think about why i can't do half the crap i can in melee that i can on my sax. Hence my sig.

i do see a correlation with finger motion, but as compared to actual skill at smash, you have to think on your feet much more than in music cause no one is giving you chord changes or notes to follow

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'd love to be able to play the piano, I just don't want to bother learning. I also can't play two-handed for my life (I guess it comes with practice).

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
you dont move your hands, or fingers, like at all during smash. haha wtf they are like barely correlated. its like saying crocheting improves your golf swing

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I am asian.

At the age of 5 my parents made me do the compulsory few months of piano to see if I was a maestro in the making. I was not. They were disappoint.

Pi

Smash Hero
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WTF GOD YOU'RE DUMB

i don't care if these losers in the pool room play the ****ing piano

i'm only intersted in those that play melee competitively

THAT'S WHY I POSTED IN THE MELEE GEN. DISCUSSION SECTION

HOLY ****

you've essentially tarnished the poll results, and you neglected to make it public as i had initially asked

wtf is wrong with you

just close and delete this **** now

it's useless to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom