• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
@Xianglian: How does it compare to Interview With the Vampire?
It's not as nearly as sophisticated because Interview With the Vampire was aimed towards adults, this is aimed towards teens. However it sort of flips the real world around a bit and sort of fits better in the real world than IWtV. It's probably not a well written as Anne Rice's novels but it really is an entertaining read, especially after the 2nd and 3rd books (the books aren't that long).

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I finished A Clash of Kings today. It was excellent.

Gonna start City of Ember tonight, and then I think I'll read CS Lewis' space trilogy after that.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I finished City of Ember already. It was only 270 pages, and written for maybe 8th grade readers? maybe lower? I can't tell. It was a fun story. Maybe I'll pick up the next book eventually?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i just finished Kokoro by Natsume Soseki

the first two parts seem somewhat pointless but it leads up to a good explanation in the third part

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice
The Wheel of Time series, by the late Robert Jordan
last book comes out in 2012

Also, Dastrn, of all of the City of Ember books, my favorite was Diamond of Darkhold. But don't mind me, I'm a sucker for PAW stories. Relatively, I may read Mockingjay soon.

Also, not that it has any deep or alternative meaning to be appreciated, but I got a kick out of John Dies at the End.

I am thinking about reading A Song of Ice and Fire, I hear it's really good.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm finally reading Hunters/Sandworms of Dune and... I don't know.

Some of the chapters feel like good ol' classic Dune, but anytime they mention the Kwisatz Haderach, the Oracle of Time, or "Paolo," it kinda falls apart. The seaworms were admittedly cool, but the "ultraspice" was completely unneeded. The authors also repeat themselves a lot and occassionally try to make it into an action novel, and it's annoying.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I'm partway through Sandworms, and I'm kinda scared about the ending. I'm completely scared that they are going to ruin it and go the opposite direction that Frank Herbert intended.

But yeah, pretty much whenever they try to do something new, it falls apart. There's just a bunch if pointless crap that I don't want in my Dune.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Werekill, your rant reminds me of this:

[collapse=Collapsed because it's long and there's some f-bombs in there.]
[/collapse]

It's true though.

Just finished rereading the entire Harry Potter series. What now?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Do eet.

Though if there are spoilers, you should probably use tags. Though no one in their right mind should read Brian Herbert's trash anyway, but you never know.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Do eet.

Though if there are spoilers, you should probably use tags. Though no one in their right mind should read Brian Herbert's trash anyway, but you never know.
Thanks. I'll use the collapse thing.

NSFW, I guess.

Fake edit: VERY NSFW. Don't read if you don't want to hear a LOT of cussing. :mad:

Fake Edit 2: Oh dear. I got carried away. Definitely NSFW, and TL;DR.

Well, I just finished Sandworms of Dune. It was complete and utter ****, and I'd like to create a letter to the author(s) that I will never actually send. Here it is...

****. YOU.

Ok Brian, so you took your daddy's story and butchered it with your 2nd grade writing style, but I'll give you credit and say that Hunters of Dune was almost decent. Or at least, it almost got up to twilight standards.

Sometimes I would get a glimpse of old Dune, and it would keep me going, but to be honest, that's the only thing that was good. I mean, it feels like you took the outline that you "inherited," rolled it into a joint after giving it the briefest of glances, smoked about half of it, passed the rest to Kevin Anderson, and while staring at the now hazy computer screen, began to type your wet dreams about robots onto. I mean ****, both books just reek of amateur fan fiction that is only one yiff away from being exactly like the rest of the trash on the internet.

I mean ****, you couldn't even write a plot without using FOUR ****ING DEUS EX MACHINAS IN A ****ING ROW TO END YOUR ****ING SERIES THAT YOU EVEN HAD AN OUTLINE FOR.

Hell, I could excuse the Duncan Idaho "ultimate Kwisatz Haderach" **** because it was implied that Duncan was special during God Emperor of Dune, but damn, you just pulled it out of your *** without any real foreshadowing whatsoever after "Paul" (who I'll get to in a moment) suddenly said HERP DERP I'M NOT THE HADERACH YOU ARE DUNCAN MY MANG! ****, I was actually expecting it to be a better revelation, not some **** that you threw in to make every end happily.

And the face dancers having a kill switch? Damnit, I was expecting the Kwisatz to actually use his powers to hunt them down or something but NOPE! You just threw in a convenient plot device so that you could end the book more quickly. But hey, that what you ****ing get when you try to write a book a year, amirite?

Oh, and Paolo... What the ****? The "evil paul" thing was done way back in the first book with the Baron's nephew; why the hell would you revisit the concept? In fact, everything involved with him and the "search for the kwisatz haderach" felt more forced than a turd after constipation (which, btw, makes me feel better than your books ever did). I mean, the ****ing Kwisatz Haderach wasn't part of any prophecies, he was just a superhuman who could see into the future. I can see Duncan fusing with Erasmus (who was uneeded) to form a bond between robots and humans, but everything leading up to that? It was like you wrote the ****ing ending first and had no idea how to it, so you brought back a ****ton of characters, which is what all the fans always wanted! No, it ****ing wasn't. We wanted an ending that expanded the concept of not relying on a single entity for humanity's fate, but nope! INSTEAD, YOU MADE A ****ING ENDING THAT WENT AGAINST THAT COMPLETELY, YOU DUMB ***.

The Oracle of Time... **** YOU BRIAN FOR EVER COMING UP WITH THIS ****. THIS IS THE WORST OFFENSE THAT YOU COULD HAVE ****ING MADE. I CAN SEE HOW FRANK MAY HAVE THOUGHT UP THE CONCEPT OF A SUPER POWERFUL GUILD LEADER, BUT YOU JUST DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND MAKE A CHARACTER FROM YOUR ****TY BUTLERIAN JIHAD **** INTO SOME GODLIKE ENTITY WITH NO CHARACTER DEPTH WHATSOEVER. IN FACT, I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IN THE LEAST TO FIND OUT THAT SHE WAS JUST PUT IN AND MADE EXTRA POWERFUL (IN FACT SHE EVEN SEEMS MORE POWERFUL THAN SOME KWISATZ) SO THAT YOU COULD CONVENIENTLY GET RID OF OMNIUS! **** YOU FOR PUTTING HER IN; EVERY SCENE THAT SHE WAS IN FELT STILTED, ARTIFICIAL, AND WORSE THAN ANYTHING IN DUNE, OR MOST OTHER BOOKS, YET.

THE LAST PARAGRAPH WAS ALL CAPS BECAUSE THE ORACLE WAS ONE OF THE MOST HATED THINGS FOR ME. **** YOU.

Now let's move on to individual characters, shall we? Dumb ***.

The only ghola who had any actual depth to him was Yueh and his tale of redemption, and I actually sorta liked him. Thanks to your obnoxiously repetitive writing style, I hated several of his scenes that essentially copied earlier chapters, but he was still, sadly, my favorite ghola.

Leto 2 coming back was cool! You know what wasn't? Barely developing him or touching the concept of a ghola who might not want such a tidal wave of memories or guilt. He was one of the most tragic characters in Dune, but at the end of the book, you turned him into some Sandworm controller and essentially killed him off. Hell, I was even sorta excited by the fact that he could somehow turn into a sandworm, but you never really ****ing expanded on that. Dumb ***.

I already spoke about Paul. **** you.

Chani was only there as a filler character, and you know it. **** you.

Jessica had huge potential, but she was whiny and only had one or two interesting scenes AT ALL. **** you.

Thufir could have been cool, but him being a face dancer was so badly done that I didn't enjoy it at all. **** you.

Scytale was barely touched upon and none of Frank's build up with him practicing his whistling for Duncan was used. He just seemed like a shadow of his former self. **** you.

Waff and Uxtal were mostly uneeded, but they both could have been MUCH better. I suspect that Frank had plans for them, but you butchered them to pieces. **** you.

Speaking of Waff, his tale of bringing the worms back to Rakis and the seaworms was horribly done. I'll touch on the seaworms, but damn; you ruined a potentially good character. **** you.

Sheeana obviously was in for some big stuff, if Frank was to be believed! You turned her into some ***** who barely ran a ship and pretty much had no REAL part in the overall plot and could have been replaced by anyone else. **** you.

Alia could have been cool, but nope! She was just used as a handy plot device twice. **** you.

The Baron was barely decent, and there was never any reason for Alia being there. **** you.

Serena Butler was obviously thrown in to advertise for your Butlerian Jihad books. **** you.

Omnius and Erasmus were FACE DANCERS! Frank obviously intended to explain in 7 that they absorbed some ancient robot leader, but you took two ****ty characters from your ****ty prologue books to convieniently explain away the old people. Both characters had no depth, bored me, and honestly never seemed like much of a threat. **** you.

I don't give a **** about talking about the rest of the characters that you butchered like Murbella, so **** you.

Now on to the seaworms and ultraspice.

The seaworms I can understand; they were a way for the guild to finally bypass the Sisterhood for spice, and I applaud FRANK for potentially coming up with the concept. The concept itself is admittedly cool, but you took it and made it into something completely boring and unrecognizable. The whole time I was reading those sections with the seaworms, I honestly put down the kindle and asked myself, "Am I reading Dune?"

The ultraspice? Don't make me talk about that ****. It was so obviously a cop out for your terrible "Kwisatz Quest" that it wasn't even funny. **** you.

I don't even feel like talking about anything else right now, so I'm going to stop with these words:

**** you, Brian and Kevin. There is a special place reserved for you in hell, and I hope that there is lots of pain, screaming, and no escape.

*Pant* *Pant*

Ok then, that's off my chest.

Wise Man's Fear ships today! ^_^

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Wow, Werekill.

But you know, it's so very true. Brian Herbert and KJA took one of the best series OF ALL TIME and pooped on it.

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice
Have any of you read 1984? I've been thinking about reading it for a while.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I really like George Orwell, and 1984 is one of my favourite books.

He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like him.

Homage to Catalonia is really interesting too, if you like historical autobiographies.

Life

Smash Hero
search thread "Wheel of Time"
1 result

This makes me sad. WoT FTW

Also, 1984 is a good book and you should read it.

S l o X

Smash Champion
as a male teenager i reallly liked looking for alaska.

i r need more books directed towards teenage / adolescent females, obviously. (and i need to read lotr / other **** that's on my waiting list)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
On a real reading binge at the moment.

Just finished Life of Pi after months of leaving it half read. Really enjoyed it and the pace of the final third was extremely enjoyable.

Moved straight on to the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and nearly finished that. Very good, easy to get into read so far.

I have so many lined up. Want to read Robinson Crusoe, Macbeth, The Israel Lobby, The Caged Virgin and much much more.

Looking through some best books lists and a few are grabbing my attention and there are a lot I need to go out and grab. So glad to be enthusiastic about books again.

Skimming through the thread led me to check out goodreads.com. Has to be the worst website ever lol! I just added another 30+ books to my reading list! My room is already littered with books I have to read, it's too much!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
9, I'm glad you liked Curious Incident... I loved it. You might enjoy his 2nd book "A Spot of Bother." I found it very good as well, although nothing like Curious Incident.

I finished "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis last night. I didn't enjoy the Narnia books, but I loved this one. I've got the rest of the Space Trilogy (consisting of "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra", and "That Hideous Strength") and I think I'll finish the whole trilogy before picking back up with book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Also, I'm thinking about buying a Nook. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with a nook? How well does it handle random pdf? I've got a huge ebook library but no reader, so I don't ever read any of them.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I finshed The Wise Mans fear last night, really nice sequel.
However I still feel that Kvothe is a bit too good to be true.....however it will not stop me from loving the book. Ah the wait for the next one is going to be so hard. ;^;
I hope Skarpi is in the next book......

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Lol at my post getting edited.

Read The Kite Runner. Absolutely amazing.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just finished Perelandra, which is book two in CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. It was beautiful.

Gonna take a break from the series before I read book three, though. I picked up Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and American Gods by Neil Gaiman all yesterday. Gonna read through those next, I think.

My to-read list for the rest of 2011:

Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Endgame by Frank Brady (biography of Bobby Fischer)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley
Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez
That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis
A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin
A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

That should get me through 2011.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
American Gods is SO GOOD. It's one of my favourite Gaiman books. <3

I do need something to read. I should take a browse through my books. I have so many that I haven't read, so I can't really justify buying more.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, you're the one who's turned me on to it. I've always wanted to read it, but your recommendation is why I bought it this week.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, I hope you enjoy it. :3c

I have the sequel, Anansi Boys, but I haven't got around to reading it yet. Actually, maybe I'll reread American Gods. I could use some Gaiman in my life right now.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have never been able to understand that emoticon. I always see a man flexing his muscles.

Lyth, did you read Lev Grossman's The Magicians?

If not, pick it up at the library or something so you can read it NOW. It's fantastic.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
:3c is this expression:

The c is the hand.

Anyway, I have not, but I just read some reviews of it on Amazon, and it sounds really good. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, I've been looking for a book that sounds kinda like that, if that makes sense.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Also, I'm thinking about buying a Nook. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with a nook? How well does it handle random pdf? I've got a huge ebook library but no reader, so I don't ever read any of them.
I absolutely love my Kindle, and it seems to read PDF's rather well unless it's encoded in some weird way. It's really useful on trips and at school, since I don't have to worry about carrying a ton of books, and it's so easy to pirate stuff too, lol.

I finshed The Wise Mans fear last night, really nice sequel.
However I still feel that Kvothe is a bit too good to be true.....however it will not stop me from loving the book. Ah the wait for the next one is going to be so hard. ;^;
I hope Skarpi is in the next book......
I absolutely loved tWMF! Kvothe, to me, is offset by the ****ty things that happened to him. Besides, he even directly says that he
never really becomes better than a child among the Adem
, so his fighting prowess can be mostly attributed to his legend.

I'll still be angry at Pat if his sleeping mind does most of the heavy lifting in all of his other fights.

American Gods is SO GOOD. It's one of my favourite Gaiman books. <3
Thanks to this little sentence and the quick summary that I read, I'm going to check this out after I finish rereading tWMF! :D

damn, i got so mind****ed when i finally figured out that friggin emoticon.
... I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know what it was either.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
@Were: For me that is simply not enough, I dunno he seems larger then life even when he is having a hard time. His mistakes are usually for his benefit as well. Almost almost mary-sueish however he is way too likable for me to care.

@American gods
I love that book so I hope you enjoy it Dastrn.
Lyth you should read Anansi boys, its really great. Amusing story and lighter compared to american gods but really great. You should also pick up Fragile things, it has a short story involving Shadow.

I just started The blade itself by Joe Abercrombie and Dragon in chains by Daniel Fox.
I plan to start reading Howls moving castle as well since I never got to finish it as a kid :3

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
SPEAKING OF JOE ABERCROMBIE

I'm kinda reading Best Served Cold, and it's good and stuff, I like revenge stories and fantasy. But one thing I'm noticing in a lot of revenge plots lately is that the protagonist knows who their target is right away. I'd like to see more investigation, like how Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo doesn't know why he was imprisoned and then he figures it out. The movie Faster had the same problem, main guy just gets a list of dudes to kill and he starts killing them. I guess it's not so much a "problem" as it is me wanting every revenge story to be like Monte Cristo, but whatever.

Oh yeah, back to Joe Abercrombie, while the plot would allow for a lot of investigation, it's not really shown, it's just kind of assumed the protagonist buys the information somehow. Of course, this is all just based on what I've read so far, I'm not even halfway through the book I think.

Top Bottom