• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel like I've heard good things about "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie. Would you all recommend it? I might pick it up this year if you do.

I just finished Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez. It was fun but forgettable. His characters are extremely shallow, and his story is almost non-existant. Either way, I like this author. About twice a year, I just need some pulp comic fantasy/sci-fi and this guy delivers it. I'm sure I'll end up reading his complete works in the next year or two, since he's only got about 8 books published, and I've already read 3.

Started Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" last night. Gonna finish that, and then probably pick up book 3 in A Song of Ice and Fire. I might slip "A Moon is a Harsh Mistress" in before that, though.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm in this delectable position where I have too many good books on my to-read list, and too many people making good book recommendations and asking me every week if I've started their favorite book yet. I just had a birthday and spent about $120 picking up all these new books that I've been curious about forever.

The only trick is limiting how much I play league so I have more time to read.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
200 pages into Infinite Jest.

Some passages are absolutely amazing. Others are like the dragging yourself through a back dumpster full of the unknown.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Dastrn, finish what you have already and try your hardest to ignore us gushing about other books :p

D

Deleted member

I finished Mein Kampf today. Anyone thinking of reading it, please spare yourself. It's so damn long, boring, and repetitive. Hitler was not even close to the same writer (well, he technically dictated it) as he was orator.

sammy p

Smash Lord
The Hunger Games(incase no one has read the series yet) = AMAZING BOOKS!! id TOTALLY rank them right up there with the harry potter and twilight series.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've only read the first Hunger Games. It was okay. Better than I thought it would be, but it's more or less just a rip-off of Battle Royale.

Twilight is really bad imo. You can't even compare it to Harry Potter.

sammy p

Smash Lord
really? i guess everyone has their own opinions :p ahahha
but i DO think that they have the potential to e as big as HP or twilight. as long as the movies do the books justice... which is unlikely..

Jane

Smash Hero
just finished Winter in the Blood by James Welch. amazing story about a native american guy in montana.

and now the non-fun part, writing a 10-12 page research paper @_@

Kanelol

Smash Lord
200 pages into Infinite Jest.

Some passages are absolutely amazing. Others are like the dragging yourself through a back dumpster full of the unknown.
I downloaded a pdf of this book an hour or so ago, right after i read this

The diction reminds me of Stranger in a Strange land, almost. Even if I've never been huge on Heinlein, this still looks like an awesome *** book. Gracias.

EDIT: For slightly more superficial, quick reading: Simon R. Green.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Starship troopers and The moon is a harsh mistress are both very good classic sci-fi. I haven't read Stranger in a Strange Land yet, but it's on my list...

I finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy today. I can't say I'd recommend it, since it kind of dragged and was pretty sad. the writing style was not fun to read, since about 60% of the sentences were fragments with no verb, which irritated me. I can see why people like this book, but it didn't do it for me. 3/5

Not sure what I'll start next. I need something light and fast to pick me up after The Road.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ooooh, Lyth, I started Good Omens last night before bed. I <3 Terry Pratchett, and I think I'm going to fall hard for Neil Gaiman too.

American Gods in on my shelf, too.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
American Gods is so good. <3

I haven't read any Pratchett. I've heard good things, but I just haven't wanted to dive into such a long series. Maybe someday though...

I need something to read for a trip. Think 20 hours-ish. I'll take American Gods, for sure. I've been wanting to reread that. And maybe one of the thicker Murakami novels? Thoughts?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've read all of his books, but I'm not opposed to reading them again.

I just need something that will last me for a while. For the most part, I like his shorter books better, but you can read all of them in an hour or two. I'll probably go with Kafka on the Shore. You have to be in a very special sort of mood to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
American Gods is so good. <3

I haven't read any Pratchett. I've heard good things, but I just haven't wanted to dive into such a long series. Maybe someday though...
Believe me you don't have to read all of them (some are better then others anyway), granted some jokes are more enjoyable if you have read some of the others that feature reoccurring characters.
Try the light fantastic and equal rites :3

I would take American Gods, granted I only say that because Ive been wanting to re-read it a little..... how about Stardust?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah the great thing about Pratchett's series is that you don't need to read them all. I actually started with one of the newest ones in like 2005 and then went back and caught up on 3-4 of the most interesting ones to me. I've only read like 1/6th of the whole series. Going Postal was probably my favorite, or Guards Guards.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I just finished The half-made world by Felix Gilman.
I enjoyed the story, and the characters though the background of the world is what interested me the most about it yet the reader learns nothing about it and
it has one of he most disappointing 'what' sequel hook endings ever

:sigh:
Why make an interesting world and we dont get to learn much about it =\
Though I am a bit salty, I probably will read the next one....

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm halfway through Good Omens so far. It's got pratchett's style almost 100%. Im curious how big of a role Gaiman played. I don't know his voice at all, since this is my first Gaiman book. But I'm reading Pratchett all over this thing.

I bought Stardust by Gaiman today, as well as Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Not sure where they'll go in my to-read list, but hopefully I'll get them both in 2011.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hmm interesting that you say that, as someone who reads both I heard both voices pleasantly throughout more of Gaimans during the dialog between the characters though.... I need to read it again.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Beat Generation by the one and only Kerouac (Not technically a book, but still good)
Water for Elephants by.. Someone. Idk. Google it.

D

Deleted member

Finished the Communist Manifesto. Not exactly sure if it counts as a book, but it's a good read for anyone interested in government, or someone who wants to further their knowledge of Communism.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I finished Good Omens last night. It was pretty fun. I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight since many of them were written to be the "clever sarcastic englishman" with one distinguishing characteristic from the next.

Adam Young was my favorite character, for sure.

4/5 overall. I won't run around and recommend it, since it never felt like it came together as a story that captured me, but it was fun.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I just started and finished The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

Its a ya book so some of the things were a bit typical, pseudo love triangle, some teenaged sulking/angst and some usual plot points (dealing with being the special teased girl/whatever) but I really really dont care, it was such a fun read in a place I would like to go and see.

Plus I love steampunk and while lots of things just through it onto a blurb to get some attention, there were actual elements of it in the book mixed with some lovecraftian strangeness.
I was pleasantly surprised by some things in the book and with my overall enjoyment.
I'm really hyped for the next one and this makes me want to read the authors works for older people right now, yes~♥

And I finished The blade itself (Law 1) yesterday, I feel that it is a very good fantastic story....fond of the good mix of action and character interaction and I am eagerly waiting till I can read the next. I dont get as much of a grasp of the world within this one but it makes up for it with the interesting characters.

About to start Life of pi to add to my already too long list of things I'm reading
this and Hard-boiled wonderland at the end of the world take priority
Also thinking of picking up Roadside picnic.
Why are there so many books to read ♥
And then of course I look up Caitlin Kittredges other works and none of them interest me at all....man

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Wiscy, Life of Pi is really hit or miss for most people. And Hard-Boiled Wonderland is one of Murakami's craziest, if I remember correctly. I should really read it again. Maybe after I finish Kafka on the Shore again. :3c

Werekill, American Gods is SO GOOD. I think you'll enjoy it.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Just finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World..
Gosh I enjoyed it so much, the dream like feeling the whole thing had..and the double narrative worked so well.

Dear lord bittersweet endings errwhere man. I also like how the story is never awkward with the lack of names, freaking amazing

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just realized I've been deliberately avoiding this thread because I was reading A Storm of Swords and since it's 1100+ pages, it takes a while to get through. I didn't want to think about any other books while I was reading it, so I stopped checking this thread to keep myself from being distracted.

102 pages to go until I finish SoS, so I'll be back soon!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, I understand, Dast.

Recently, Penguin has started publishing short stories of modern classic writers. I've been picking them up, partly because they're cheap, but also because they're a really nice size to carry around, not like my usual monster-sized tomes.

Just finishing up some Kafka, then moving on to some William Trevor.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK I finished Storm of Swords. That makes 13 books I've finished in 2011 so far.

As always, I'm unsure what to pick up next. Here are my candidates:

American Gods
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
or something else

Top Bottom