• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Oh hey, guys. From this point onward, this thread will now serve as a book suggestion thread. Neat, eh? We'll see how it pans out. Basically, the idea is to share some great books with each other. Read any excellent books? Feel free to share. Need a suggestion? Post and someone will (most likely) give you one.

I don't really think it's necessary to post any other rules beyond that. You know the deal, am I right?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay, I had been pushing for something similar to this but on a grander scale(an entire forum for Literature) 2 years ago, so I fully support this idea. However, I was really into books then, which isn't nearly the case now. :(

However, I'll gladly suggest books and provide a why, but I don't think I'll be having the time to read them unless the text is online and it's a small read.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Aww, thanks Zero! And I understand the time constraints. I don't want anyone to feel pressured. And I'm not expecting anyone to sit down and read (and comprehend) James Joyce's Ulysses. This is meant to be fun.

Where are your suggestions? :mad:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Wow sounds good! Excellent idea.
Could you list the books that will be read, since I may need to order them, which takes time. :(

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, I was hoping that you (the readers, that is) would have some input. If you want to suggest some books, I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking we would start off small. Perhaps, Animal Farm or Catcher in the Rye. But then again, I don't want this to feel like school to you guys. So, suggestions are welcome! :)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Nice, a book club, it would be nice to read recommend books from other book readers, at this point, I've only read from 2 authors and I'd like to expand that.

Mota

I'll suggest Eragon, it is kind a big, but it reads easily and it is a good book... Nice topic btw!
Love Eragon! Can't wait for the last book.

I need to reread it, after reading LOTR everything I know about Eragon has been jumbled.:dizzy:
Very similiar plot and characters.

Maybe search on google :laugh: something along the lines of: Top 100 most popular novels.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'll suggest Eragon, it is kind a big, but it reads easily and it is a good book... Nice topic btw!
I liked it too, until I read the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books and realized how unoriginal Eragon is. It screams Lord of the Rings, and even takes some things from Harry Potter and other series to a lesser degree. That kind of lowered how much I liked the Eragon series somewhat.

Mota

^ True...More like LOTR characters with Star Wars plot. The chosen one, last of his kind, leading the rebels against a much more powerful foe.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I've read and understood Ulysses, just not in its entirety since I read it in 12th grade and for that book you need the world's largest library right next to you at all times.

Anyway I think Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf is a short book(some 270 pages?). It may seem complicated or hard to follow at first due to its style of writing(stream of consciousness) but it's an amazing book I always recommend to any of my friends because the meaning of the book drastically changes depending on how old you are when you read it.

If you're nearing your 40's or late 30's, I STRONGLY SUGGEST IT. If you're around 15+ I also recommend it under the condition that you read it later on in life as well. It's a marvelous book and I'd say why you should read it but I don't want to risk spoiling anything! I guess I could tell you it's about
the many faces you wear in society, people's benevolent natures, and the acceptance of death.

Heavy mofo.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'll read with you guys! SWF Book Club!

I would love to read Gaiman first. Love love love to. Good suggestion Wiscus.

thread stuck

edit: I guess my suggestions for August's BotM are The Graveyard Book and Neverwhere. I've read neither and I'm looking for an excuse to read them and I think everyone would enjoy them.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Virginia Woolf would be great too. I love her writing!
I haven't gotten to Mrs. Dalloway however, this would be a great reason for me to do so. No matter what we read I am quite excited :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I would love to read some more Gaiman too. I've only read his short stories, but that sounds like fun. Any of them sound good to me. :)

The only problem I have with Eragon is that it's in a series. I'm not sure it would work unless it can be a stand-alone type of book. I haven't read it myself, but it seems like people love it or hate it.

Zero, I knew you were going to say Virginia Woolf. :p

Clownbot

Smash Lord
This sounds cool!

As for book suggestions, I've been kind of wanting to read The Screwtape Letters... But it pertains to religion, and I don't want anything along the lines of a flamewar to start, so that may not be the best choice.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've really wanted to read that too.

I think as long as everyone can be mature about discussions, it shouldn't be a problem. That being said, I don't want this to turn into a flamewar either. As stated in the rules, we should respect others' opinions.

I'm mostly just trying to shy us away from explicit sex scenes.

EDIT: Thanks for the sticky, Tom!

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay, so does anyone have a really good book to suggest that is short-ish and the text is online? I'm willing to read along if it's a short book and its text is online.

For example, Brave New World is an amazing book/you can find the text here.

Here's the synopsis:

Brave New World is a novel by Aldous Huxley, written in 1931 and published in 1932. Set in the London of AD 2540 (632 A.F. in the book), the novel anticipates developments in reproductive technology and sleep-learning that combine to change society. The future society is an embodiment of the ideals that form the basis of futurism.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm a pretty simple-minded person, but as long as that book's compact and understandable enough, I guess I wouldn't mind reading it. :)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Oh it's understandable except I must warn you, do not take everything you read SERIOUSLY or "to the heart," because it's full of satire.

Satire: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Satire, lampoon refer to literary forms in which vices or follies are ridiculed. Satire, the general term, often emphasizes the weakness more than the weak person, and usually implies moral judgment and corrective purpose: Swift's satire of human pettiness and bestiality. Lampoon refers to a form of satire, often political or personal, characterized by the malice or virulence of its attack

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've read Brave New World many times, but I wouldn't mind reading it again.

Okay, so thus far, our suggestions are:
  • Eragon by Christopher Paolini
  • The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
  • Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  • The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Any other suggestions? We'll be voting on a book soon. :)

Smash Journeyman
This'll certainly help me prepare for honors english when school.

I'd suggest Tuesdays with Morrie, or The Five People You Meet in Heaven, or preferably One More Day since I haven't read it yet. They're all written by Mitch Albom.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Not too long and pretty awesome. I guess it might be hard to follow though. Is there some sort of reading level we should be shooting for cuz Eragon is a kids book and those people might struggle with stuff like Brave New World or Slaughterhouse Five but whatever.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a great idea, and i would love to join in.
Plus i have suggestions.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
or
Choke -Chuck Palahniuk

Both might have questionable content. But are very high on my list of books to read.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
This'll certainly help me prepare for honors english when school.

I'd suggest Tuesdays with Morrie, or The Five People You Meet in Heaven, or preferably One More Day since I haven't read it yet. They're all written by Mitch Albom.
I'm glad to hear that you're interested. I've heard The Five People You Meet In Heaven is pretty good, though I don't know much about the other ones.

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Not too long and pretty awesome. I guess it might be hard to follow though. Is there some sort of reading level we should be shooting for cuz Eragon is a kids book and those people might struggle with stuff like Brave New World or Slaughterhouse Five but whatever.
This is one of my favourite authors, and I agree, we should definitely have some Vonnegut in here.

Also, in regards to reading level, I'm guessing the majority of people in SWF are teens and early twenty-somethings. I don't think anyone will have a problem reading Brave New World or Slaughterhouse-Five, but it is possible that they may miss out on some of the finer nuances. But hey, that's okay. That's what the discussion is for. And as for Eragon, children's books can be enjoyed by anyone of any age. Harry Potter is an example of that.

I think this is a great idea, and i would love to join in.
Plus i have suggestions.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
or
Choke -Chuck Palahniuk

Both might have questionable content. But are very high on my list of books to read.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're interested.

I love Chuck Palahniuk, but I don't think Choke would be appropriate for SWF. I have read it before, and a sex fiend who pretends to choke on food for money doesn't seem like a good idea for a PG-13 site. Maybe Fight Club would be a better option? Sorry, but I think we might have to veto that one, but we'll see what other feedback we get.

As for your other suggestion, drug experiences would certainly give us something to discuss. However, I'm concerned about the obscurity of this book. I have a feeling that it may be hard to find. Would you know by any chance?

Any more suggestions? Voting will probably begin later today.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Okay, I've just checked this book out, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no, as my personal opinion. However, we can wait and see what feedback we get on it.

First, as you've said, it's three books in one. It is 673 pages. I seriously doubt most people would be able to finish that in the time allotted. Secondly, I'm not sure what we could discuss. The website claims that the contents are "the strange fate of the Dodo bird, the best of the worst country song titles, the history of vitamins, the wisdom of Miss Piggy," etc.

I work in a bookstore. I know this book is in the humour section, and I'm sure that it's truly humorous, but I cannot see it as having much to discuss in terms of literary quality. Like I said, I'll put it on the list, but I really cannot fathom what there is to discuss.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
You are probably right about Choke being a little to intense.
However I have a couple more suggestions.

1984- George Orwell (Its short, and very good, plus there is lots to discuss.)

or

The Curious Incidence of the Dog in the Nighttime -Mark Haddon (Another short book with a lot of substance.)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I've actually been kind of interested in 1984, as well as Animal Farm, another book by George Orwell.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer

or

The Curious Incidence of the Dog in the Nighttime -Mark Haddon (Another short book with a lot of substance.)
jber4life, would you please pm me with all your book recommendations? I think I love you. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is one of my favorite books ever. I also love Palahniuk and Orwell is always interesting. I might have to go look at The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test just because its the only one you recommended that I haven't read (and thereby enjoyed).

On the topic of what the August book should be, though, I've read Animal Farm and 1984 and wouldn't necessarily want to read them again when there is so much out there to read, y'know?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oo, I'm so down with this. You should cut the reading time down from 2 weeks tho, to maybe just one week. That way we could fit in more books.

My Suggestions:

Sooo many good books.

I would suggest staying away from classics, or books that everyone might have read already.

@zero beat, A book forum would be pretty amazing. Though I'm not sure how much activity if any at all it would get.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
The Great Gatsby is a pretty good book to read. Itz no longer than about 140pgs long, basically u can get it done in one week if you try to.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
@Macman: Well, I bleive lythium said to suggest two books, but those still look great. :laugh:

I've already read The Thief Lord, but I'd love to give it another go, and I saw the movie version of Everything is Illuminated, which I loved. I usually tend to enjoy the book version better than the movie, so I'll probably like reading that. :bee:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oo in that case, I would suggest,
I am the Cheese [Robert Cormier is amazing. We need to read atleast one of his works.]

and

I am the messenger.

I've never seen the film. And yes I generally like the book versions better than the film versions. I was mad when I realized fight club was first a book. Though someone told me the book wasn't as good.

A month is sooooo long for just 1 book. o2d2nibd

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

or

Both of these books are excellent. I am in cahoots with you there. Also, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time reads fairly quickly. I think I read it in a day or so. Not a difficult one, but very compelling and beautifully written.

I've actually been kind of interested in 1984, as well as Animal Farm, another book by George Orwell.
Both are great works. Orwell is one of my favourite authors, so if you ever get a chance to pick up one of his books, you should definitely go for it. :)

jber4life, would you please pm me with all your book recommendations? I think I love you. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is one of my favorite books ever. I also love Palahniuk and Orwell is always interesting. I might have to go look at The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test just because its the only one you recommended that I haven't read (and thereby enjoyed).

On the topic of what the August book should be, though, I've read Animal Farm and 1984 and wouldn't necessarily want to read them again when there is so much out there to read, y'know?
Agreed and agreed. Don't get me wrong; I love Orwell and Huxley, but this is an opportunity to read pretty much whatever we want. Like I said, I don't want anyone to feel like they're stuck in school. Especially in the summer.

oo, I'm so down with this. You should cut the reading time down from 2 weeks tho, to maybe just one week. That way we could fit in more books.

Sooo many good books.

I would suggest staying away from classics, or books that everyone might have read already.

@zero beat, A book forum would be pretty amazing. Though I'm not sure how much activity if any at all it would get.
Thanks for your suggestions! So many good books. I haven't read I Am The Messenger, but I've heard that it's absolutely fantastic. And I've read another one of Jonathan Safran Foer's, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, and it was just wonderful.

And I understand why you would want to squeeze as many books in as possible, but I tried to pick a schedule that would work well for everyone. I'm guessing that you're somewhat of a speed reader (like me), but I want this to be feasible for everyone. But I'll see if I can rework the schedule to include the faster readers sooner. Sound fair?

And like I said before, Orwell and Huxley are some of my faves, but yes, they have been done my many before. :p

The Great Gatsby is a pretty good book to read. Itz no longer than about 140pgs long, basically u can get it done in one week if you try to.
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll add it to the list.

@Macman: Well, I bleive lythium said to suggest two books, but those still look great. :laugh:

I've already read The Thief Lord, but I'd love to give it another go, and I saw the movie version of Everything is Illuminated, which I loved. I usually tend to enjoy the book version better than the movie, so I'll probably like reading that. :bee:
I lol'd. Everyone definitely has more than two books to suggest, so I've just been letting that one go. :laugh:

I've read The Thief Lord when it first came out, but it was sorta 'meh' for me. But I agree, Everything is Illuminated sounds really good.

oo in that case, I would suggest,
I am the Cheese [Robert Cormier is amazing. We need to read atleast one of his works.]

and

I am the messenger.

I've never seen the film. And yes I generally like the book versions better than the film versions. I was mad when I realized fight club was first a book. Though someone told me the book wasn't as good.

A month is sooooo long for just 1 book. o2d2nibd
Okay, I'll put those on the list. And your other ones. Why not?

Also, whoever told you that Fight Club was better as a movie, they lied. Except the ending. I like the ending better in the movie. :p

EDIT: The voting has begun!

Top Bottom