• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I was trying to imply the release with this as well :)
AAAAND, I've heroically abstained from reading more then the prologue up till now, since I was having some bbq with some friends! Well, the night is young (not even 4 am here! :)), and I've got nothing to do anymore!

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Halfway through Pride and Prejudice :3

Will read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies soon after :D

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Oh, okay then. :3c
You're questioning me ;_;.

I'm reading Elric of Melnibone atm, the omnibus. Just finished the first story, Elric of Melnibone, and started in fortress of the pearl.
Going through it like a madman. For me, a slow reader, atleast.

Amazing book.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I just ordered some books yesterday, yay.

Birdbrain- Johanna Sinisalo
The sad tale of the brothers Grossbart - Jesse Bullington
Trysts: A Triskaidecollection of Queer and Weird Stories- Steve Berman

NTA

Smash Lord
I've been reading books from the Left Behind series and I'm nearly halfway though but I haven't gotten next book yet. Would anyone recommend any Thriller/Mystery Fiction books?

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hmm.....that reminds me that I need to read some thrillers/mystery books...
Uh I liked Dean Koontz book Odd Thomas, Im not sure if its what you are looking for but just throwing it out there.

Just finished Birbrain, it was an interesting story...the landscapes painted out by the book sound gorgeous and all the little details make it as if youre traveling with the characters.
The fantastic elements are really minimal and don't really make much of an impact. Its more of a travel story and interaction between the couple and the wilderness they travel into.

The only thing I dislike is the abrupt endng, I dont mind things not being explained to me in a story (most of the time) but I wish there was more to it.

NTA

Smash Lord
I may have come across one of Dean Koont's books. I'll check out Odd Thomas though, thanks for the suggestions!
I am having trouble looking for the Birbrain book though. :(

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Finished Pride and Prejudice a few days ago and I must say as a male I highly enjoyed it :)
Loved the characters, the sociological factors that played so heavily in peoples lives back in ye olde times. Social status, wealth, important family and friend connections seemed a lot more significant. Sad that the only real aspiration and goal a woman could have in those days was to find and court an agreeable and wealthy man in which to be married off to.

I'm ashamed to say It wasn't a paper-book but read off my smart phone. I'm somewhat glad because the ebook came already installed on purchase of my phone, if it weren't for that I may never have read such a book.

Moving onto Sense and Sensibility by the same author, Jane Austen.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I may have come across one of Dean Koont's books. I'll check out Odd Thomas though, thanks for the suggestions!
I am having trouble looking for the Birbrain book though. :(
Oh Im sorry I wasn't recommending birdbrain to you haha, I forgot to make a separation there, I was chattering on about the book.
Its def not the thriller type though a fun book :3

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why yes, I am looking for a good read! Any suggestions, Metropolis? :D

My favorites are classics like Crime and Punishment, A Clockwork Orange, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, and things of that nature. I started Heart of Darkness early June and I'm liking it so far.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just finished Game of Thrones, once I finish my summer school work I'm going to reward myself by buying the next 2 in the series. As someone who likes fantasy I've gotta say GoT is one of the best books I've read in a very long time.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Finished The sad tale of the brothers grossbart finally..
It was indeed a very gross book haha, but I enjoyed the humor and this medieval Europe that the brothers live in with its odd fantastic elements to it.
It was a different book than what I was expecting, its not really for everyone but if you dont mind gross things its.....entertaining to say the least!

Also started Invisible cities by Italo Calvio which is something I wanted to own for a long time. The short descriptions of the cities within the book are fascinating so far and I really wish that such were reality .

@Straked: I would recommend Lolita, The good earth, The call of the wild, White fang and Fahrenheit 451 if youre looking for more classics to dive into (granted I'm not sure if all of these exactly count as classics)
:late reply:

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. It was a pretty fun book. After a terrorist attack, the department of homeland security removes people's freedoms and a bunch of high school hackers fight back.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've heard that's a pretty good book. Haven't read it myself though.

I am reading Shogun at the moment. It's really good! Not quite what I expected, but better than I anticipated, in a lot of ways. I've been putting it off for quite a while now, so it's nice to have a chance to finally get to it. :3c

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I've heard that's a pretty good book. Haven't read it myself though.

I am reading Shogun at the moment. It's really good! Not quite what I expected, but better than I anticipated, in a lot of ways. I've been putting it off for quite a while now, so it's nice to have a chance to finally get to it. :3c
Absolutely loved Shogun! I need to read more by this guy hmm.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Ah I really enjoyed both Shogun and Watership Down ahhh
guys stop making me nostalgia trip!

Also finished Invisible cities, worth every dollar and then some. Really lovely cities...ah
I also started Going postal which is already becoming one of my favorite discworld books!

Edit: And then I finished it, and it definitely is, right up there with Equal Rites.
Lythy if you ever do start I am sure Going postal would be a good 'introduction to the series' book it really displays what Pratchett is good at imo.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Ah I really enjoyed both Shogun and Watership Down ahhh
guys stop making me nostalgia trip!

Also finished Invisible cities, worth every dollar and then some. Really lovely cities...ah
I also started Going postal which is already becoming one of my favorite discworld books!

Edit: And then I finished it, and it definitely is, right up there with Equal Rites.
Lythy if you ever do start I am sure Going postal would be a good 'introduction to the series' book it really displays what Pratchett is good at imo.
Basic start should always, ALWAYS, be the colour of magic, and the light fantastic.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah, you could start with Going Postal and do just fine.

I actually haven't read the Light Fantastic yet. Is it a good one?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Honestly, I'm not sure that I would want to invest the time in Terry Pratchett anymore. If I read one, and liked it, I would probably be compelled to read them all. And there's just too many.

Maybe someday though. And I appreciate the suggestion! :3

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Nah, you could start with Going Postal and do just fine.
I actually haven't read the Light Fantastic yet. Is it a good one?
YES
Rincewind is freaking hilarious and it shows off my favorite aspects of the older books, a million footnotes =D

@Lythy: awww.

Started adwd yesterday, I'm enjoying it so far (its hard not to since its focusing on almost every fan favorite)
I cant wait till my next book run....

Orboknown

Smash Hero
OK..not sure if these have been mentioned yet but,,
1.Any James Patterson book.Most of them are crime scene thrillers.
2,Tim Dorsey books.Hilarious.
3.The Night Angel trilogy.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm unfamiliar with that one, although I have read some Dean Koontz. I agree that he's a B-tier version of Stephen King. You're better off reading King.

With King's work, here are my suggestions:
The Dark Tower Series (starts with The Gunslinger, although don't expect the rest of the series to be anything like the gunslinger)
Insomnia
The Bachman Books (4 short novels in one volume, out of print. Order it on ebay or something. You won't regret it. Rage is my favorite short novel included. Get the red paperback. The black and purple one has removed Rage.)
The Stand (his epic)

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Oh god I loved Rage and the Long walk and The Stand is my favorite of his books. Nick ;;
I would also add The Talisman, but not blackhouse , dear god not blackhouse.
And all his short story collections.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Are some of you maybe on goodreads.com? I thought it might be nice to befriend eachother there so we can see eachothers booklists

My name on goodreads is Kukiraz :3

I finished The Return of the Black Company (omnibus containing Bleak Seasons and She is Darkness) and it was really enjoyable. I like how every three/two books the books change a lot, because they're supposed to be the annals of the mercenary band The Black Company, so every few books the character writing the annals change. The first three (written by the company physician called Croaker) focussed a lot on the issue of "There is no such thing as evil" and getting all the facts true, no matter how ugly they are. The two I just read (the 7th and 8th in the series) were written by Murgen, who focussed a lot on how he went through the wars, and how it affected him.

So yeah, the next omnibus is ordered, and I wonder who the annalist is this time :3. It's the last of the current black company books though, and the writer (Glen Cook) said in an interview in 2005 that the next two are on his schedule (A Pitiless Rain, and Port of Shadows) but that he won't begin finalizing them for some years due to other contracts :c.

ANYWHO, anyone who likes fantasy, or wants to like fantasy, but doesn't enjoy the whole "heroes, princes, magical items, magical powers, glorified war, set good and evil" etc to try it out.
It's very unique in the fantasy genre. It's very gritty and grimdark. It doesn't glorify neither sides or war, it shows the bad and the ugly, and instead of some chosen hero with plot protection, you follow normal persons with normal problems etc. Like I said, in the first book you view it from the perspective of the army physician of a mercenary band that has been tricked into getting under contract of the so called evil side of a war on another continent.

For a close a quote from Glen Cook his wiki page:

It was during this time that Cook wrote his first novel of The Black Company, a gritty fantasy series that follows an elite mercenary unit through several decades of their history. The series, currently 10 novels long, has become something of a cult classic, especially among current and former members of the military. When asked about the series' popularity among soldiers, Cook replied: "The characters act like the guys actually behave. It doesn't glorify war; it's just people getting on with the job. The characters are real soldiers. They're not soldiers as imagined by people who've never been in the service. That's why service guys like it."

The goodreads review about the first black company omnibus:

Almost from the moment I finished reading this book and every subsequent one in the series, Glen Cook has been my favorite author. His narrative is great and his characters are both fully developed and individually unique. Almost from the beginning you get the feeling you know each of them. In my opinion, characterization has always been Cook's biggest strength and these books provide the reader with a great example of what to expect from his work.

That being said, the story itself is also interesting, well thought out (with a few nice twists), and overall pretty unique for the time (following the lives of the common soldier as they get caught up into something much bigger than any of them realized). It's a crime that it took so long for people to give this series a chance but I guess better late than never.

The first 3 books of the series which are collected in the first omnibus are must reads for anyone endjoying the darker side of fantasy. All are quick reads so do yourself a favor and give the series a shot. If you don't like it by the end of the first omnibus, you can probably stop reading because it just isn't for you.

I've been rambling. Sorry.

I am currently reading The Strange Case of the Composer and His Judge by Patricia Duncker which is very enjoyable: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12123451-the-strange-case-of-the-composer-and-his-judge

Sorry that my post is long and ugly as **** :c.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I keep meaning to get a goodreads account, but I still haven't got around to it yet.

Maybe I'll set one up when I get home from work today. :3c

Top Bottom