• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For smash 4 to succeed, we need to change

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Gonna address this first since it leads into the rest. I think you just simplified approach and the neutral position to just speed. In melee its worth approaching because the balance of offensive to defensive options has a strong preference towards being offensive. And this response applies to @ P pitthekit as well. Speed is one thing yeah (granted slowing down or speeding up the game affects both sides, speed is more complex than just changing the game speed), and yes you can toss in increased shield stun. But there's also less shield knock back, worse spot dodges, wave-dash, l cancel, worse out of shield options, easier to deal with projectiles, and many other factors weigh on this as well and speed becomes only one slice of the pie. The mechanics themselves make it easier to land your hit on offense then defense, and couple this with a punishment game thats more straight forward than Brawls and its clear that for most MUs playing smart offense is desirable. This is actually one of the main reasons I find the games aren't easily comparable. If you were to change all of these mechanics that make Brawl a more defensive game then you would not adjust well from melee just as the reverse isnt true.

It's also funny you bring up that conclusion because its actually the opposite for Brawl, which may be partially a result of this difference too. In Brawl strategy comes first, then improved execution giving the game a slightly more offensive tinge. Execution is the dividing factor between high and top level players. In the US we took this for granted then the Japanese came to Apex 2012 and destroyed us for our ignorance of the game. Its also why I say most perspectives built from experiences of the game's pre-2012 meta are very outdated.

The fundamental rules of the game are the same, but the fundamental mechanics are not. I mentioned some of them in regards to approach, but things like the airdodge or floatiness, hitstun, momentum reversals, etc. all play a role. So while the goals may be similar, the way they are accomplished are pretty different and in some ways more comparable to other fighting games. Its like being told to cut wood in half with one person given a saw and another an axe. I may elaborate more later but feel this is already long.
@ the first part, I could accuse you of pulling a strawman (since I say speed is only a major factor, not the end-all be-all factor) and I could also say that most of the things you have listed ultimately contribute to the game's speed. (Wavedashing, dash dancing, L-cancelling etc. are just as important for defense as they are for offense, and in fact, gives Melee more mix up and movement mindgames during neutral than Brawl; their defensive and offensive) However, you ultimately failed to really address an overarching point of mine: When a game is played at its highest level, strategy is the only variable. Theoretically, there is probably just as much mental game in Melee as there is in Brawl, its just that Melee is a harder game to comprehend. If you believe that the inverse is true for Brawl, you are completely wrong since this doesn't make any sense. If two players played Brawl, Melee, 64, whatever, at TAS precision, the only uncontrolled element would be the mental game. Execution is no longer a factor at the highest level.

@ the second part, no. The fundamental goals are the same and the fundamental mechanics are the same. Nuanced mechanics are the only differences between the two. You can't point to a single aspect between both games and say that they cannot be compared. The fact that Project: M exists should be enough empirical evidence alone to conclude that the games are actually just a ton of tweaks away from being one another.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But why isn't the "64 is better than Melee" discussion around anymore? Or, "64 is better than every Smash post 64"? I hardly think time is an issue, seeing how Melee is over a decade old and we're still talking about it.
Simple. Cause they found a new target to vent hate. Brawl.

I meant that most people would try the new game for like a year before deciding whether or not they liked it. A lot of people here who weren't in the scene seem to think that people picked it up and went "Ew, Brawl" and put it back down when in reality it was the Melee scene that more or less kickstarted the Brawl scene and metagame for the newcomers before leaving Smash altogether after a year or so once the metagame started going downhill.

As long as your using Smashboads and going to Apex and expecting yourself at MLG you're not your own community btw. No matter how community relationships wind up in the end every Smash game's tournament scene was started and carried by the one before it.
But, like I've said. We're not in the same boat.
This is the closest to Melee as we've gotten. If anything, we might pick up the crowd Brawl lost.
Or, at least, more open to try it.

Cassio

Smash Master
@ the first part, I could accuse you of pulling a strawman (since I say speed is only a major factor, not the end-all be-all factor) and I could also say that most of the things you have listed ultimately contribute to the game's speed. (Wavedashing, dash dancing, L-cancelling etc. are just as important for defense as they are for offense, and in fact, gives Melee more mix up and movement mindgames during neutral than Brawl; their defensive and offensive)
Well heres what you said:
"speed is a major factor for how defensive a game plays but its also the magnitude of the punish game. "
I wasn't forming your argument, I was amending the conversation. I took this to mean that speed was a major part and the other part was punishment game, if this is incorrect apologies. Anyways, any top level and and intelligent player you talk to about this will instead say this is a conversation about the neutral and punishment game, which you can see in pretty much any discussion about these games. Talking about speed itself isn't useful. As my last post indicates I agree with multiple elements contributing to pace, but when discussing the neutral game we talk about options and the more significant take away is that there are a plethora of offensive options in melee compared to defense. Yes some of them can be used defensively but it's ultimately irrelevant, its like acknowledging that shielding, spot dodging, and rolling can be used as offensive tools in Brawl, which they are (compared to melee). What ultimately matters is the ratio of offensive and defensive tools you are given. If the ratio leans more offensive you will have a more offensive game, and defensive of course the opposite, but the game cannot do both at the same time.

If you want to talk about the games options in purely quantitative terms then I will completely agree that Melee is well above Brawl and thats what makes its technical play so great. I dont want to underplay that by the way, having great technical depth is a very worthy quality. But as far as mindgames and mix-ups its fluff. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the term yomi, but thats basically what mix-ups and mindgames fall under, and the game only requires one option and 3 progressive counter-options to reach the final layer of yomi before its able to loop back. Read or at least skim this:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/yomi-layer-3-knowing-the-mind-of-the-opponent.html
However, you ultimately failed to really address an overarching point of mine: When a game is played at its highest level, strategy is the only variable. Theoretically, there is probably just as much mental game in Melee as there is in Brawl, its just that Melee is a harder game to comprehend. If you believe that the inverse is true for Brawl, you are completely wrong since this doesn't make any sense. If two players played Brawl, Melee, 64, whatever, at TAS precision, the only uncontrolled element would be the mental game. Execution is no longer a factor at the highest level.
This is directly relating to your point about only strategy mattering at top level play and sort of the TAS example. I definitely disagree with this, and if a game could be boiled down to one important aspect (which I disagree with) itd be yomi. First, if the games were played at TAS precision they would be completely different games, theyd most likely turn out like smash 64 (yes, even Brawl) but its hard to predict. Additionally, its a pointless discussion unless we teach robots to play the game, execution will always be relevant to how the game is played. Even among top players some are better at execution than others, or may be forced to execute more difficult gameplay if they are losing elsewhere. Unless I missed something I think its a mistake to isolate different aspects from one another. For instance, a more defensive game is going to have an emotional wear on an individual and those in better control of this will have an advantage. How do you account for this with just strategy and execution? And the fact that its a quality of the game that is interwoven as part of this external emotional response?

The rest of this moreso relates to the mental game (which has many different components) which I may make another separate post on later. But for now will make a basic outline on yomi as it relates to approaching and punishment. I touched on this earlier when discussing quantitative options, but punishment in brawl is difficult but still significant because of yomi. Once attacked out of neutral the opponent has more options and opportunities to escape than he would in melee or 64, but with good yomi you can string a significant amount of damage on them since their options are still more limited than yours. This is how strings play out in practice at top level play in Brawl. Its also important for kills too, killing in neutral is nearly impossible because of defensive mechanics (if you get a solid read it can happen sometimes), so its preferable to place your opponent in an off balance situation first. You can say the same is true in melee and 64 as well, but player interaction off a hit is lower and occurs less often in punishment so it doesn't require the same degree of ability to jump into your opponents mind. In approaching too, melees offensive options being numerous it allowed for game progression to work smoothly. In Brawl progression is a struggle but must still occur, and the primary way to break through your opponents defensive options is with yomi. In these regards, melee cannot imitate Brawl mentally to the same degree.
@ the second part, no. The fundamental goals are the same and the fundamental mechanics are the same. Nuanced mechanics are the only differences between the two. You can't point to a single aspect between both games and say that they cannot be compared. The fact that Project: M exists should be enough empirical evidence alone to conclude that the games are actually just a ton of tweaks away from being one another.
When I say fundamental mechanics I mean specifics like frames, not generalizations. If you want to talk about the games in general sure, but when it comes down to the defining mechanical aspects of the games the nitty-gritty stuff matters significantly and causes all games to play differently. I say this as someone who plays pikachu pretty competently in all smash games, minor differences in things like hit-stun cancellation or extra frames on a spot dodge matter significantly in the way the game is played at a competitive level. Well, that might not necessarily be as true for Melee > PM looking at results. The mental aspects are probably what traverse best between the games but that can be said of other fighting games as well.

But IMO this is the major flaw with this perspective and occurs most when I see people discuss competitiveness. I see this happen when people assess tier lists and MUs too. It's not comprehensive enough mainly because of generalizations and it leads to assumptions slipping through the cracks. In an attempt to understand or complete puzzles certain aspects are simplified and isolated when in reality they're interacting elements that affect one another and may have to admit aren't able to be completely understood. I only mention this because theoretical generalization and isolating aspects were the basis for both points you've used, and from past experience I see this being a recurring issue.

Last edited:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Hmm the defensive tool shield cuts down soo much offence options.

Do you think a yomi is caused by grab? The real counter option to shield.

I agree that smash would boil down to yomi.

Would melee at tas precision also boil down to a grab yomi?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Yes some of them can be used defensively but it's ultimately irrelevant, its like acknowledging that shielding, spot dodging, and rolling can be used as offensive tools in Brawl, which they are (compared to melee). What ultimately matters is the ratio of offensive and defensive tools you are given. If the ratio leans more offensive you will have a more offensive game, and defensive of course the opposite, but the game cannot do both at the same time.
Offensive and defensive play are not entirely innate and much of it is a result of current metagame trends (If I am not mistaken, Japanese Brawl meta was notoriously more aggro than their American counterpart). Causes of these trends cannot simply be the ratio of offensive/defensive tools because smash games have free form movement. Attacks can be spaced to punish approaches just as much as they can be used to initiate approaches. Heck, even shielding is sometimes used for approaching because it can easily be used to counterattack a predicted strike. Dash dancing in Melee/64 is probably the perfect example of how nebulous offense and defense truly are in these games. You are making yourself a harder target to hit, so its defensive, but you are trying to space/bait, so it can be used to initiate offense.

IMO Here are the major reasons Melee has been a predominantly offensive game
1. Socially, people tend to enjoy playing aggressively. Especially when considering the age demographic of the people who started the scene.
2. The risk-reward ratio isn't as risky or as rewarding as it is for either 64 or Brawl. (As I stated earlier, you are technically punished harder for mistakes in Brawl and 64)
3. Melee has more movement options, is faster, and requires more inputs (harder to comprehend and control). This preoccupies the mind more while simultaneously making it harder to react. Thus, catching people off guard is easier.

I definitely disagree with this, and if a game could be boiled down to one important aspect (which I disagree with) itd be yomi. Anyways, if the games were played at TAS precision they would be completely different games, theyd most likely turn out like smash 64 (yes, even Brawl) but its hard to predict. In any case, its a pointless discussion unless we teach robots to play the game, execution will always be relevant to how the game is played. Even among top players some are better at execution than others. Unless I missed something I think you make a mistake I see frequently in trying to isolate different aspects from one another. For instance, a more defensive game is going to have an emotional wear on an individual and those in better control of this will have an advantage. How do you account for this with just strategy and execution? And the fact that its a quality of the game that is interwoven as part of this external emotional response?
"execution will always be relevant to how the game is played"? I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I feel like you are just using it to ignore my point. Melee would be more defensive if execution and comprehension problems were removed, plain and simple. Though I am not sure if reiterating that matters since you sort of agreed with me when you said they would probably play like 64 (extremely strategic and defensive).

And I agree, emotion and strategy are connected, execution and strategy are connected, execution and emotion are connected, etc. they are all connected. However, I'm not really sure what your point is?

When I say fundamental mechanics I mean specifics like frames, not generalizations. If you want to talk about the games in general sure, but when it comes down to the defining mechanical aspects of the games the nitty-gritty stuff matters significantly and causes all games to play differently. I say this as someone who plays pikachu pretty competently in all smash games, minor differences in things like hit-stun cancellation or extra frames on a spot dodge matter significantly in the way the game is played at a competitive level. Well, that might not necessarily be true for Melee > PM looking at results though. The mental aspects are probably what traverse best between the games but that can be said of other fighting games as well.
No offense, but I feel like you were grasping at straws with this part. In all seriousness, do you believe that someone could not write a lengthy essay describing Melee gameplay and then write a lengthy essay describing Brawl gameplay and then be at complete loss in comparing/contrasting the two? We aren't talking about baseless statements like Brawl Pikachu is better than Melee Pikachu. We are talking about something like "Okay, Brawl edge guarding works like this, and in Melee, it works like this" followed by an objective criticism as to which one is literally more intricate.

But IMO this is the major flaw with this perspective and occurs most when I see people discuss competitiveness. I see this happen when people assess tier lists and MUs too. It's not comprehensive enough mainly because of generalizations and it leads to assumptions slipping through the cracks. In an attempt to understand or complete puzzles certain aspects are simplified and isolated when in reality they're interacting elements that affect one another and may have to admit aren't able to be completely understood. I only mention this because theoretical generalization and isolating aspects were the basis for both points you've used, and from past experience I see this being a recurring issue.
I agree that these problems tend to arise when people try too hard to quantify things using arbitrary numbers. The community would be better informed if things were called as they are. Tier lists should be divided into Viable, Somewhat Viable, Situational, and Unviable and MUs shouldn't have any point scale and should be called Even, Advantage, Disadvantage etc.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Simple. Cause they found a new target to vent hate. Brawl.
Wait, so even the old 64 veterans hate Brawl? Why do Melee players get all the flack then?
Or, are you saying that the 64 vets are also the Melee vets? Because I know Isai is a 64 diehard, and prefers it over Melee.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wait, so even the old 64 veterans hate Brawl? Why do Melee players get all the flack then?
Or, are you saying that the 64 vets are also the Melee vets? Because I know Isai is a 64 diehard, and prefers it over Melee.
I phrased my words wrong. :ohwell:

What I mean is ever since Brawl came out. It's become the target for hate.
Why? Because it's the "casual game". And fans from both spectrum went to that.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I phrased my words wrong. :ohwell:

What I mean is ever since Brawl came out. It's become the target for hate.
Why? Because it's the "casual game". And fans from both spectrum went to that.

Well I've been lurking the forums since early 2006 and I don't ever remember any Melee hate.

Also it is good to remember that 64 didn't have as big of a community. The community literally "grew up" with Melee.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well I've been lurking the forums since early 2006 and I don't ever remember any Melee hate.

Also it is good to remember that 64 didn't have as big of a community. The community literally "grew up" with Melee.
Ah.
After thinking about it. This sounds more reasonable.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
No proof? I do exactly that when/if I play Brawl. 1v1 on FD, BF, PS1, SV with no items.
Remember, just because you play with all items on hazardous stages doesn't mean there aren't people like me who play in a competitive manner while simultaneously staying out of the tournament scene.
And remember that just because you play in a "competitive manner" doesn't mean there aren't people who don't. And I don't think anyone would argue against more people playing casually than competitively.
Edit: The point being that, even though there is no solid proof, it is much safer to assume that the competitive consumer IS narrow compared to the casual one.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Offensive and defensive play are not entirely innate and much of it is a result of current metagame trends (If I am not mistaken, Japanese Brawl meta was notoriously more aggro than their American counterpart). Causes of these trends cannot simply be the ratio of offensive/defensive tools because smash games have free form movement. Attacks can be spaced to punish approaches just as much as they can be used to initiate approaches. Heck, even shielding is sometimes used for approaching because it can easily be used to counterattack a predicted strike. Dash dancing in Melee/64 is probably the perfect example of how nebulous offense and defense truly are in these games. You are making yourself a harder target to hit, so its defensive, but you are trying to space/bait, so it can be used to initiate offense.

IMO Here are the major reasons Melee has been a predominantly offensive game
1. Socially, people tend to enjoy playing aggressively. Especially when considering the age demographic of the people who started the scene.
2. The risk-reward ratio isn't as risky or as rewarding as it is for either 64 or Brawl. (As I stated earlier, you are technically punished harder for mistakes in Brawl and 64)
3. Melee has more movement options, is faster, and requires more inputs (harder to comprehend and control). This preoccupies the mind more while simultaneously making it harder to react. Thus, catching people off guard is easier.
Actually I agree that offensive/defensive play have other factors and can relate to one another which is why I don't prefer to directly quantify them. It does depend in part on how people choose to play the game, so in that sense there can be a range. Meanwhile the ratio of options you're given falls into the risk-reward of approaching. Id argue speed also falls into the evaluation of risk.

Now Im not saying any game should or shouldnt always be played entirely offensively or defensively, but I do think the game nudges in a particular direction. The reason this happens even if tools may be interactive and used multiple ways is because there's still a preference for one or the other. For instance shielding in brawl may be used offensive or defensively but its definitely more powerful in defensive play when you take into account OOS options, shield stun, opponents options on shield, etc. Now I dont think its possible to sum up all tools and their applications to add up to how the game should preferably played because youre right theres too many interacting elements. But I do believe we can get a feel for this through experience and observation of top level game play, and thisll be a simplistic summary but when defending against an approaching player the defensive toolset in melee doesnt seem as broad as offensive which makes it harder to pick an appropriate response. I would acknowledge that melee is closer to even, and perhaps in the end the meta-game will show the game leans more defensively (I personally hope not), but for the time being there doesnt seem to be evidence of this aside from particular MUs. Personally I feel that if defensive play were work in Melee we'd have seen signs of it, and so far M2K is the best example and with his Brawl background he certainly has no issue playing this way when needed but still leans more towards offense.

Regarding Japan, its true that in 2012 they came over and turned the tables on our perception of Brawl. The primary reason for this had more to do with their technical skill being much greater than ours, something we felt wasnt as important and neglected. They put in great effort into practicing things we felt weren't important like ledge cancels, platform cancels, and in particular consistent and complex buffer inputs, as well as many other things. This provided them more offensive tools and nudged the game away from defense a bit even in the U.S.
"execution will always be relevant to how the game is played"? I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I feel like you are just using it to ignore my point. Melee would be more defensive if execution and comprehension problems were removed, plain and simple. Though I am not sure if reiterating that matters since you sort of agreed with me when you said they would probably play like 64 (extremely strategic and defensive).

And I agree, emotion and strategy are connected, execution and strategy are connected, execution and emotion are connected, etc. they are all connected. However, I'm not really sure what your point is?
I half agree. While 64 would be my closest prediction I dont think it's a good idea to predict with any certainty. This relates to your last line about how its not so simple to remove execution or other aspects of competitive play from the equation and determine a simple answer because we cant predict how features interact. In any case, my overall point is that I dont think its helpful to discuss speed adjustments or TSA because the speed the game is played at is an integral part of its meta-game, changing the speed would tun them into a different game with consequences we probably can't predict.
No offense, but I feel like you were grasping at straws with this part. In all seriousness, do you believe that someone could not write a lengthy essay describing Melee gameplay and then write a lengthy essay describing Brawl gameplay and then be at complete loss in comparing/contrasting the two? We aren't talking about baseless statements like Brawl Pikachu is better than Melee Pikachu. We are talking about something like "Okay, Brawl edge guarding works like this, and in Melee, it works like this" followed by an objective criticism as to which one is literally more intricate.
I 100% stand by the games not being similar enough on mechanics. Its complicated but Im trying to avoid going into lengthy details about it. Edgeguarding is different, approaching is different, stringing/combos are different, killing is very different. The full mechanics of shielding are very different, spot dodges are different, throws are different, air game is very different. If we talk in generalities we can compare them in so much as they have these things and they have aspects that may be similar or serve a particular basic purpose, but on a deeper level they function differently. I can go into detail on specific ones if requested, or maybe we're not looking at this the same way and need examples anyways.

Also I think pikachu is quite good in melee, but he definitely plays differently too.
I agree that these problems tend to arise when people try too hard to quantify things using arbitrary numbers. The community would be better informed if things were called as they are. Tier lists should be divided into Viable, Somewhat Viable, Situational, and Unviable and MUs shouldn't have any point scale and should be called Even, Advantage, Disadvantage etc.
Yeah I think sometimes stuff tries to get too specific. This is a pretty good discussion.

Hmm the defensive tool shield cuts down soo much offence options.

Do you think a yomi is caused by grab? The real counter option to shield.

I agree that smash would boil down to yomi.

Would melee at tas precision also boil down to a grab yomi?
Grabs are usually a pretty strong option and pretty important in service as a counter option.

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Obviously we need to set up a democratic community which will elect members of the Smash community to decide upon rules for tournaments, stages, and characters.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Actually I agree that offensive/defensive play have other factors and can relate to one another which is why I don't prefer to directly quantify them. It does depend in part on how people choose to play the game, so in that sense there can be a range. Meanwhile the ratio of options you're given falls into the risk-reward of approaching. Id argue speed also falls into the evaluation of risk.

Now Im not saying any game should or shouldnt always be played entirely offensively or defensively, but I do think the game nudges in a particular direction. The reason this happens even if tools may be interactive and used multiple ways is because there's still a preference for one or the other. For instance shielding in brawl may be used offensive or defensively but its definitely more powerful in defensive play when you take into account OOS options, shield stun, opponents options on shield, etc. Now I dont think its possible to sum up all tools and their applications to add up to how the game should preferably played because youre right theres too many interacting elements. But I do believe we can get a feel for this through experience and observation of top level game play, and thisll be a simplistic summary but when defending against an approaching player the defensive toolset in melee doesnt seem as broad as offensive which makes it harder to pick an appropriate response. I would acknowledge that melee is closer to even, and perhaps in the end the meta-game will show the game leans more defensively (I personally hope not), but for the time being there doesnt seem to be evidence of this aside from particular MUs.
It would seem that we mostly agree on this.

Personally I feel that if defensive play were work in Melee we'd have seen signs of it, and so far M2K is the best example and with his Brawl background he certainly has no issue playing this way when needed but still leans more towards offense.
...Hungrybox?

Defensive/reactive play works great in Melee. Its just uncommon.

I half agree. While 64 would be my closest prediction I dont think it's a good idea to predict with any certainty. This relates to your last line about how its not so simple to remove execution or other aspects of competitive play from the equation and determine a simple answer because we cant predict how features interact. In any case, my overall point is that I dont think its helpful to discuss speed adjustments or TSA because the speed the game is played at is an integral part of its meta-game, changing the speed would tun them into a different game with consequences we probably can't predict.
Some mutual understanding here as well. Though I would argue this kind of theory discussion is useful because the meta game will inevitably try to trend towards perfect execution.

I 100% stand by the games not being similar enough on mechanics. Its complicated but Im trying to avoid going into lengthy details about it. Edgeguarding is different, approaching is different, stringing/combos are different, killing is very different. The full mechanics of shielding are very different, spot dodges are different, throws are different, air game is very different. If we talk in generalities we can compare them in so much as they have these things and they have aspects that may be similar or serve a particular basic purpose, but on a deeper level they function differently. I can go into detail on specific ones if requested, or maybe we're not looking at this the same way and need examples anyways.
I think maybe you should elaborate because I am still not following you're logic. How can so many shared aspects be void of comparison? Could you explain why statements such as "Melee has longer combos than Brawl" or "Recoveries are generally stronger in Brawl than they are in Melee" aren't true?

Also I think pikachu is quite good in melee, but he definitely plays differently too.
My statement was primarily rhetorical. Melee Pikachu is dope.

Yeah I think sometimes stuff tries to get too specific. This is a pretty good discussion.
Yeah, definitely.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Obviously we need to set up a democratic community which will elect members of the Smash community to decide upon rules for tournaments, stages, and characters.
The argument for representative democracy is that there are too many things for an average citizen to vote on on a daily basis. That's not really the case with the smash community, especially with a ruleset that is determined early and locked in.

It should just be a democratic vote on the ruleset itself. Only allow votes from players verify their smashboards username at a face-to-face tourney.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Theoretically, there is probably just as much mental game in Melee as there is in Brawl, its just that Melee is a harder game to comprehend.
I really don't understand the need to compare both games like this, but Melee's pacing does have a pretty significant strategic element relating to your opponents reaction time. More specifically, reading their different tendencies in both quick and more staggered bouts as well as capitalizing on any hasty decision making when you move unpredictably.

It's such an important part of the Melee's metagame that is indeed difficult to comprehend. Well, maybe not difficult to understand, but certainly a challenge to not fall victim to.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I really don't understand the need to compare both games like this, but Melee's pacing does have a pretty significant strategic element relating to your opponents reaction time. More specifically, reading their different tendencies in both quick and more staggered bouts as well as capitalizing on any hasty decision making when you move unpredictably.

It's such an important part of the Melee's metagame that is indeed difficult to comprehend. Well, maybe not difficult to understand, but certainly a challenge to not fall victim to.
I agree with this 100%. Melee is a really tough game haha

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If you're not playing a spacie or ICs, the technical aspects of the game aren't that tough. You have wavedashing, L-cancelling, and typical DI, all stuff that is pretty easy to get a handle on pretty quickly. Lcancelling can't even be perfected (it's binary), and neither can launch DI, and melee has a remarkably low emphasis on smash DI, which is largely a Brawl/smash64 thing. Wavedashing is the only open ended opportunity for technical play.

What dwarfs all that is that Brawl matchups are incredibly more unique because the characters are less homogenous. Melee splits into spacie and nonspacie matchups with little stratification beyond that, while with Brawl you have to play very differently for each matchup. Olimar has a busted grab, but redefines the which of your aerials are safe on shield. Sheik will punish you for leaving yourself open to a non-grab option at low percents, which is totally different from how Pikachu will punish you for leaving yourself open to grabs at low %. There's stuff like that throughout the cast, up to and including that Diddy virtually requires you to secondary Diddy to master the matchup. It can take years to learn how all of those changes impact your main's Nash equilibrium, and only once you've learned that can you go yomi on even footing with every other player. It adds up to be a lot more than the weeks of extra tech skill.

Melee players make an arbitrary assignment of value to tech skill when they insist that Melee is a harder game. Which would be fine if they'd be explicit about it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
If you're not playing a spacie or ICs, the technical aspects of the game aren't that tough. You have wavedashing, L-cancelling, and typical DI, all stuff that is pretty easy to get a handle on pretty quickly. Lcancelling can't even be perfected (it's binary), and neither can launch DI, and melee has a remarkably low emphasis on smash DI, which is largely a Brawl/smash64 thing. Wavedashing is the only open ended opportunity for technical play.

What dwarfs all that is that Brawl matchups are incredibly more unique because the characters are less homogenous. Melee splits into spacie and nonspacie matchups with little stratification beyond that, while with Brawl you have to play very differently for each matchup. Olimar has a busted grab, but redefines the which of your aerials are safe on shield. Sheik will punish you for leaving yourself open to a non-grab option at low percents, which is totally different from how Pikachu will punish you for leaving yourself open to grabs at low %. There's stuff like that throughout the cast, up to and including that Diddy virtually requires you to secondary Diddy to master the matchup. It can take years to learn how all of those changes impact your main's Nash equilibrium, and only once you've learned that can you go yomi on even footing with every other player. It adds up to be a lot more than the weeks of extra tech skill.

Melee players make an arbitrary assignment of value to tech skill when they insist that Melee is a harder game. Which would be fine if they'd be explicit about it.

You strike me as a person with a poor understanding of melee's meta. You really can't group the match ups into spacies and non spacies. The spacies themselves are almost polar opposites and have to play the neutral game completely different. Same as any other game, matchups are based around the tools of the characters. I'd say melee would have more variance just because there are so many different good qualities your character can have like a good crouch cancel, good wave dash, ect. And you're dead wrong about SDI. In melee SDI can be the difference between and surviving an edge guard attempt or just dying.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
You strike me as a person with a poor understanding of melee's meta. You really can't group the match ups into spacies and non spacies. The spacies themselves are almost polar opposites and have to play the neutral game completely different. Same as any other game, matchups are based around the tools of the characters. I'd say melee would have more variance just because there are so many different good qualities your character can have like a good crouch cancel, good wave dash, ect.
Anybody who started their contribution to the conversation with "melee is easy" and nothing else is not likely to have much of an understanding of either Melee or Brawl.

That said, the entire Melee vs. Brawl conversation isn't even on topic.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
In cassios defence characters in brawl do have better recoveries.

The magnetic ledges and hit stun cancel, air speed+ other things make recovering and getting hit off stage not as servere as melee.

I am pretty sure in brawl most up specials have way more priority than the melee counterparts.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
So, I put the all the Melee characters into two groups, Spacies and nonspacies, and the group of size two has more unappreciated matchup diversity than the group of size twenty-three?

Good to know.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So, I put the all the Melee characters into two groups, Spacies and nonspacies, and the group of size two has more unappreciated matchup diversity than the group of size twenty-three?

Good to know.
Did you even read his post? He said that the spacies themselves are too diverse for one group, not that they were the most diverse. Every character that doesn't have a pichu or dr. mario in their name is vastly diverse from the other characters from the roster. Putting them into two groups of spacies and no spacies is just plain ignorant.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Did you even read his post? He said that the spacies themselves are too diverse for one group, not that they were the most diverse. Every character that doesn't have a pichu or dr. mario in their name is vastly diverse from the other characters from the roster. Putting them into two groups of spacies and no spacies is just plain ignorant.
Some matchups play more similarly to eachother than others. If you're going to cover your eyes and plug your ears and pretend that's not the case, then go ahead I guess.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Guys just let him go. He's not getting the point and it would appear he's not even aware of the actual topic that's supposed to be being discussed.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's kinda hard to remain constructive on this thing several pages in when so many Melee purists have come in and said "If smash 4 doesn't meet my subjective preferences, which I treat as though they are objective criteria for a competitive game, I refuse to be supportive".

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's kinda hard to remain constructive on this thing several pages in when so many Melee purists have come in and said "If smash 4 doesn't meet my subjective preferences, which I treat as though they are objective criteria for a competitive game, I refuse to be supportive".
It also doesn't help that Brawl players demand it.

Both sides have been mean.

Cassio

Smash Master
I think the conversation became really productive until this recent outburst. Also the stance isnt about Melee or Brawl or supporting smash 4, its about supporting smash. If people dont like a particular game then let it be, theres no productivity in putting down another game.

I actually agree with JV5Chris' post. Putting aside Melee vs Brawl pacing in melee is pretty great and leads to interesting mind games. I don't think its fair to take that away from melee since its a significant part of its mental aspect.

I think Brawl requires more character knowledge but you can't shake a stick at melee either, the character's are plenty unique. Its higher in Brawl in part because it has a bigger cast and in part bc in melee some characters flat out suck. People joke about low tiers in Brawl but theyre not completely bad.

And @ 1 1MachGO I havent forgotten your post but life gets in the way of posting essays on smash, lol. Ill add for now that I do think Hungrybox is another example of a defensive player but it has just as much to do with Jiggs. Mew2King on the other hand just excels at defensive play (among other things) and you can see this across all characters and games that he plays. He forced 64 to include a timer in the last year after almost 2 decades of not needing one. I think Hungrybox is a good example, but if any top level melee player is going to show the peak ability of defensive play imo its going to be him unless someone else comes out of nowhere or the game simply can't be played more defensively. Actually I heard last weekend he beat hungrybox in two sets by running away and lazering with fox like he did vs Mango's jiggs at apex. It's also personally my strongest style of playing at the moment in melee. I may go more into this later.

Ill get to the last point another time since as I mentioned thatll take some more detail.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It's not that hard. If you're noticing that other people are digressing the topic, just don't contribute to the digression.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
And @ 1 1MachGO I havent forgotten your post but life gets in the way of posting essays on smash, lol. Ill add for now that I do think Hungrybox is another example of a defensive player but it has just as much to do with Jiggs. Mew2King on the other hand just excels at defensive play (among other things) and you can see this across all characters and games that he plays. He forced 64 to include a timer in the last year after almost 2 decades of not needing one. I think Hungrybox is a good example, but if any top level melee player is going to show the peak ability of defensive play imo its going to be him unless someone else comes out of nowhere or the game simply can't be played more defensively. Actually I heard last weekend he beat hungrybox in two sets by running away and lazering with fox like he did vs Mango's jiggs at apex. It's also personally my strongest style of playing at the moment in melee. I may go more into this later.

Ill get to the last point another time since as I mentioned thatll take some more detail.
I honestly don't see how anything you just said is relevant to disproving my point: defensive play works in Melee. Its just uncommon (and unpopular).

Actually, some of the stuff you were throwing around helps prove said point lol. However, on the whole, you are beginning to demonstrate an ignorance to the deeper aspects of competitive Melee and its history. This isn't a bad thing, but you have more expertise on Brawl and you shouldn't extend your reach and assume too much.

Last edited:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Can't the Smash community just play the damn game without fighting over whether competitive vs. social is better to do?
Why discuss whether the March Madness or the NBA Finals are funner to watch?

People like to debate, it doesn't make sense to silence everyone and make them hold hands.

Cassio

Smash Master
I honestly don't see how anything you just said is relevant to disproving my point: defensive play works in Melee. Its just uncommon (and unpopular).

Actually, some of the stuff you were throwing around helps prove said point lol. However, on the whole, you are beginning to demonstrate an ignorance to the deeper aspects of competitive Melee and its history. This isn't a bad thing, but you have more expertise on Brawl and you shouldn't extend your reach and assume too much.
The only thing I was addressing that whole quote was Mew2King being a better champion of defensive play overall than HB.

I think we're caught up on semantics, defensive play certainly plays a role in melee (i think ive said before melee was more in the middle) so I mostly agree with your point, but the game itself tends towards more offensive play. Additionally i've mentioned it can be MU dependent too. I dont think its a surprise that vs Jiggs tends to be a campfest, theres a character like that in Brawl (vs Olimar) where the most efficient strategy is to push offensively. Or in terms of situations, you'll see M2K camp by the ledge like M2K vs Shizwiz style when itll provide a high reward for him in a situation where he needs it. Pikachu can take advantage of such high reward gimps too and with my patient attitude and knowledge my current strategy in melee revolves around this when I encounter technical skill gaps, it works fairly well. I also think its definitely important to be capable to the games max extent offensively and defensively.

The reason I use those examples is because I see limited ability for the meta-game to become more defensive than that general idea. I don't mean in a TAS way, I mean in what's capable in competition. It's why I said so far, m2k is the best example. However, as I also said I completely leave open in the end some out of nowhere player shows more defensive aptitude then M2K. But for the time being there doesnt seem to be evidence of this.

I guess my point here is that there doesnt seem to be strong evidence the game might lean defensive (which I think most peeps would be happy with ;o ). At the moment the concept seems to rely on theory but I feel theory supports that the current offensive leaning is about right where melee should be, though we havent delved into the reasoning too much for either side of this theory wise yet.

Also I've been following melee for quite awhile and even found old hidden stuff on melees history throughout the boards (i.e. timer got put into place because of a 30 minute match once and was a big controvery along with items being removed). And I think lately we've mostly been discussing the neutral game, which is pretty universal in terms of its understanding. But if theres something you think Im missing or wrong about i'd def like to know.

Late edit: Actually you can feel free to ignore most of that. Im gonna leave it there since I still agree with it, but I realized it missed the main point which Ill try to outline here.

Regarding neutral game

1. A game with greater defensive options (compared to offense) is a greater mental challenge
I think we agree here. This isnt to say a more offensive game isn't mentally challenging. The reason for this though is that the rules of the game force us to approach, so when the game provide us with comparatively less tools (i.e. a greater defense/offense ratio) to follow its rules its requires greater yomi to pursue game progression when defense outweighs offense. If it weren't for yomi the game would not progress at all, and this is actually a threat for games who's defense/offense ratio is too high.

2. Regardless of how defensive melee is, is not, or is capable of being; Brawl is a more defensive game
You can point out removal of mechanics from melee or the overall slower pace of the game, but besides this many mechanics simply enhance defensive play from smaller shield stun and greater oos ability, to the air dodge, improved spot dodge, projectiles etc. Brawl is just built more defensively.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Why discuss whether the March Madness or the NBA Finals are funner to watch?

People like to debate, it doesn't make sense to silence everyone and make them hold hands.
What's funny about your rebuttal to him is that I don't see why it inherently answers his question haha.

At any rate, I know debates are enjoyable and all, but this isn't really the topic for it...

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It's changes like the one in today's pic (the jab finisher) and the new ledge mechanic that are already defining this game as its own thing. If Smash 4 truly is as promising as it looks, then it will undoubtedly succeed.

Last edited:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
What's funny about your rebuttal to him is that I don't see why it inherently answers his question haha.

At any rate, I know debates are enjoyable and all, but this isn't really the topic for it...
It's simple, debating isn't wrong.

It's changes like the one in today's pic (the jab finisher) and the new ledge mechanic that are already defining this game as its own thing. If Smash 4 truly is as promising as it looks, then it will undoubtedly succeed.
Good, I would hate to have Smash 4 be a glorified Melee/Brawl.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Debating isn't wrong, I agreed to as much. But outright fighting like some people here are doing isn't debating, and that's what the guy was objecting to.

Top Bottom