• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For people trying to get better at melee technically

Status
Not open for further replies.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Alright, if there is one thing I am good at in life it's improving at whatever I do faster than most people. The saying "practice makes perfect" is a motto that I go by. Of course motivation is a requirement for getting better and with that you can do stuff like what I've been doing for the past 3 days, tonight technically being the 4th. If you are not motivated to get better and just want to play for fun that is perfectly alright too.

So, this is what I've doing for the past few days. I've been practicing against a level 1 computer on Yoshi's story, Battlefield, and Pokemon Stadium with Falco trying to perfect his techs and whatever I see DaShizWiz do in his videos. Look up videos of the best player for the character you want to perfect(I like to perfect) or improve.

This is exactly what I did(if you want to get better with Falco technically then do this)

-I downloaded all of these techno songs made by DJ eggz from his fileshare(http://hosted.filefront.com/DJGuy). Why? It's upbeat and gives me that motivational/fast feeling.

-I went and watched these videos for inspiration and ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vHxXE6VmJE <---Shades Of Falco by DSW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1YGUP3l_Q M2k vs DSW at fast 1 match #1

and the rest of the set

-I watched the one vs chaddd to see what ***** a Ganon

This stuff gave me an idea of what a top level Falco can do and should be able to do.

-Practiced for about a total of 15 hours listening to all of DJ Eggz songs on repeat and tried to make my Falco move as fast as the upbeat music all around the stage, while comboing a level 1 computer to get the feel of the physics of my character and the others I'm playing.

Obviously you won't have as much time on your hands since all I do is work 40 hours a week, but in about a month if you practice a couple hours a day(one hour for warming up), then you should be at a competitive tech skill. Then it's just practice from there against other people and characters :]

GA Peach

Smash Lord
develop the mind for the game first, imo. tech skill is good, but what makes a player competitive is the mind. i'm not a technical player by any stretch of the imagination, but i am at a competitive level due to being smart about the game. the only technical thing that is ridiculously vital is l-canceling. unless you want to learn peach, then it'd be float-canceling.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My thoughts?

Get technical at the game. Everyone on a serious level of play has the technical aspect down to second-nature muscle memory. If you can't do that, you won't stand a chance.

Mindgames set apart the good from the great, but you won't be winning tournaments with OoS competitors without knowing how to do the technical aspect of the game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Maybe would should multi-task and learn both at the same time!
It's certainly more enjoyable, but the point I was trying to make is that technical skill benefits a person more than mindgames. Tech skill is a standard that everyone should have.

-Ran

Smash Master
Tech skill opens more mind games. It also allows you to execute maneuvers with a higher success rate. Without out sufficient Tech skill, your mind games will be horrible.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Tech skill opens more mind games. It also allows you to execute maneuvers with a higher success rate. Without out sufficient Tech skill, your mind games will be horrible.
Right. The fact that you predict their every move doesn't mean a thing if you can't control your character well enough to punish quickly and efficiently.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes in 15-hour streaks I like to eat/sleep/go to class/pee/hang out with people

<3 smash bros

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
one time i spent 10 minutes on pokemon stadium firing missles at cpu lv 1

chaddd

Smash Lord
I'd say your biggest problem is the fact that you think that becoming DaShizWiz is as simple as watching videos and practicing against level 1 computers. Watch the video a million times if you like, it won't show you what quote "***** a ganon", it will show you the mistakes I happened to have made that round. The opposite goes for every time I land an attack on Shiz.

This games not about 6 hours in training mode. It's not even about 100 hours in training mode. It's about hundreds and hundreds of hours of combined effort and desire. And computers aren't going to help you do anything but waveshine.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
chaddd is right, chris.
Just being fast doesn't get you that far.

look at GA's own Somasu Naitto. He was technical as all hell but he didn't have good mindgames and his metagame was sub-par. He excels at games like Guitar Hero since that game is 100% practice, but not at melee where you have to play other people in order to get good.

I think Soma and Mike said it best in conversation
Soma: "I remember when the first time we played, I shffl nair combo'd you across the stage"
Mike: "and then I killed you."

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
what remains is that techniques are just options; better players know when to use what and why.
this threads made to get "technical", so further discussion above that is pointless.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
being fast doesn't help you win tournaments, but it is imo the first hurdle you must jump before you become competitive. especially if you play fox. i can go heads up with a lot of people with fox just by jumping around and nairing and shining, just because i can control him fast enough.

but then I play against Xif or nesnoob and get four stocked because i sux in the long run

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
This is a how to get technical guide. Not a how to be expert in a month guide. I'm not debating, I'm giving advice to the newer players a good way to learn how to becoming really technical with their character(s).

Also, if anyone thinks I can't become DaShizWiz in a years time. Get ready to be surprised :]

GA Peach

Smash Lord
This is a how to get technical guide. Not a how to be expert in a month guide. I'm not debating, I'm giving advice to the newer players a good way to learn how to becoming really technical with their character(s).

Also, if anyone thinks I can't become DaShizWiz in a years time. Get ready to be surprised :]
but, you put the emphasis and importance on being technical, which is wrong. it is important, but not as much as being intelligent. Soma was a very good example that Sleepy gave. i just wanted to clarify these things to the newer people, so that they won't get the wrong idea about what it takes to be good at this game.

for the record, though, Bronson didn't even become DaShizWiz in a year's time, i don't think, so don't get your hopes TOO high.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
You could start out dumb as a rock like me and just work on tech skill like an idiot.

only to realize that I need to think while playing, not to autopilot.

I did alot of sucking for over 2 years.

I can now place top 10 in national tournaments =)

just play alot with intention. What you're doing is really not a great idea. working on tech skill is great, but do it during actual matches. Its the same mentality that people have when they say "imma play vs dem lvl 9's on lighting meree so i can be SUPER DUPER FAST!!!" So often people play matches and they don't really register the match at all. They just play.

DO NOT DO THAT!

STUDY EVERY SECOND AND EVERY ACTION OF YOUR MATCH

You'll begin to notice mistakes and opportunities you would not have otherwise.

my 2 cents.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
lol like I said this isn't an argument.

It's like this. I'll use Soccer as an analogy since I know Soccer so well and I'm about college level in skill.

Think of an individual's tech skill in smash as an individual's touch/control of a soccer ball.

What you guys are trying to say is that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zPP-hya_o (#1 freestyler in the world)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heO6oMooNVI&feature=related <---some more for the people who liked it :]

Doesn't matter in the game of soccer. Of course it matters. That is the best freestyler in the world and compared to Ronaldinho, he is probably nothing on the pitch. Ronaldinho has experience and an impressive touch on the ball.

If Tsatsulow had Ronaldinho's experience on the pitch though, I promise you that Tsatsulow would be the better player by far. Ronaldinho is still a very impressive player though.

This is tech skill and experience in Soccer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQ4ZDi4REw&feature=related (2 of the best players in the world)

That is what makes the difference between me and a lot of other Soccer players on my level. When I'm home alone I can't practice playing smart for a Soccer game. All I can do is work on my touch on the ball and watch a lot of Soccer on fox sports world.

Ya, I can catch a ball on the back of my neck and do a bunch of cool tricks and no, I will not run down a field with a ball on the back of my neck. I can cushion a ball coming to me though and have the physics and the speed down **** good because of the practice I did at home which will widen the skill gap between me and the others on my level.

Saying tech skill isn't "AS" important and arguing with me is making it look like you are telling the new kids that "tech skill isn't THAT important. Don't stress it."

What you should be doing is trying to give MORE tips to help them increase their tech skill while they are home alone, so that they can introduce it into their game and have that extra edge and when they are out playing with you giving them strategical/mind game tips.

To some up what I said.

YES tech skill is as equally important as any other aspect of the game. You need to learn how to do everything to be the best, not just one or the other. That's the difference between the average and the best.

Just because I'm not a high level at Melee doesn't mean I'm not at a high level for anything lol. You can trust me or not, but this is my argument and I'm not going to spam anything more off the topic.

Give tips or don't post :]

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
melee is a combination of knowing the nuances of the game, being able to press buttons fast and accurately and not getting hit

just do all that

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
this isn't soccer.
Neither is Starcraft or Halo 3 or Football or Basketball or Tennis or Track or Long distant running or Diablo 2 or Brawl or soon to be MELEE. I'm good at a lot more sports than that too, just not at a bragging level.

Guess what? I'm at a high level for all of those. Obviously not expert because those things take a lot more practice than Melee or Brawl. A LOT more.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
no actually my roommate is #1 in ladder in d2 and he says it takes no sckill at all.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
no actually my roommate is #1 in ladder in d2 and he says it takes no sckill at all.
Ladder has nothing to do with Dueling lol...It has to do with Baal runs and A LOT of them. It's just being level 99 and if he's #1 on the ladder then he either bots or has way too much free time on his hands.

Finally someone said it. I mean, Soccer analogies? What is this? Latin America?

I'm going 4 stock M2K by this summer because I scored the most baskets in my Basketball Rec League.
"Analogy is both the cognitive process of transferring information from a particular subject (the analogue or source) to another particular subject (the target), and a linguistic expression corresponding to such a process."

You're arguments are very terrible. If you want me to make you look dumb, then just message me on AIM. Stop spamming my thread with terrible arguments(off topic ones at that) with your new account Chaddd. Sleepy if you want to argue your point, at least provide an argument lol...

Saying "Mind games are more important, don't practice your tech skill" is not a good argument. That's the same thing as saying "God isn't real, don't go to church".

GAwes

Hidden Boss
People need to practice tech at home.

People need to obsess with simple tech, getting it right every single time, dont be trying jump shine turn around back airs with fox if you cant waveland on platforms or l-cancel every time

People need to realize that when they lose, its not because they werent technical enough, they lost becuase they werent good enough, and in most cases no amount of practice home alone will fix that

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
People need to practice tech at home.

People need to obsess with simple tech, getting it right every single time, dont be trying jump shine turn around back airs with fox if you cant waveland on platforms or l-cancel every time

People need to realize that when they lose, its not because they werent technical enough, they lost becuase they werent good enough, and in most cases no amount of practice home alone will fix that
Ya, telling people to not practice is wrong and that's what your community is doing.

How that makes sense is beyond me.

datman6699

Smash Journeyman
Eggz, you are wrong about d2. I'll show you tech skill in D2!
and yes, light sorce ftw. uhhh btw, mm in d2 anytime

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Eggz, you are wrong about d2. I'll show you tech skill in D2!
and yes, light sorce ftw. uhhh btw, mm in d2 anytime
lol I stopped playing D2 after some dude hacked 3 loaded accounts of mine because I stole a legit 19-19-9 anni off of him because he stole my **** when I was xfering =\

**** that lol.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Nah, we're telling you not to focus too much on tech skill.
My friend who is brazilian japanese is really good at juggling and dribbling and whatnot, all sorts of crazy tricks with the ball
but he had no practice against defenders, and he didn't know how to deal with real people.
Soccer analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom