• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Florida Smash Statistics Site

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I know I've posted this in the Florida Power Rankings thread but I wanted to open a thread for discussing how to improve this site http://rohins.info/ssbm .

Right now it has nothing to do with PRs and is just a collection of statistics. The goal of this thread is to transform these statistics to a means of ranking players. So far I have talked with a couple of smashers on how to do this but Derf has given me the most influential feed back.

Now before I begin I want to get something out of the way. The site is to reflect tournament performance not individual skill. So if X person can beat Y easily and is not on the top 10 list, more power to them but that alone doesn't not mean they should be there.

Here are some proposed guildlines for the site:
  1. Qualified tournaments consist at least a certain amount of people. This number is up for discussion, but a general consensus from the people I've talked to (QDVS, Derf, Skrach) 30 seems like a good number for this.
  2. Qualified players achieve top 10 in a tournament.
  3. Players should receive points based on their percentile at each given tournament. The power ranking is then based off the sum of these points. (The amount of points for a percentile is open for discussion)
  4. The Power Ranking will be reset every "period". Right now, the proposed amount of time for a period is 6 months. The purpose of this is to give newer players a chance to strive to be #1 and not let placings of the past interfere with your ranking.
The main issues I see deal with the amount of points and with players attending tournaments. It would not be fair to hold most of the tournaments in one region; this would create a huge bias with the rankings. Skrach recommended that there be only specific tournaments recorded on the site. These tournaments would rotate which region they are held in (North, Central, South) that way no one region gets a major advantage.

Also I realize that doing all this with only two months left of melee is academic. I would like to have this system completed for Brawl, so Florida can have a nice, organized means of ranking their players. I know I need to make a few more tools and assign an administrator for the site. I'm nominating Colin since he has been the most involved in supplying me with tournament data and seems genuinely interested. This of course is also up to you guys to decide.

discuss.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
So I have to place top ten in a tournament of at least thirty to be reconized? Guess I'll have to wait until Brawl for this, since my tournament placings have always been less than great. Good luck with this though. I look foward to seeing it implemented in brawl!

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I nominate The smash bashes as the south fl regional tourny. Gigs can be centeral, i dunno bout other places. All i kno is i've been holding mine between 2 and 3 times a year, each one getting as little as 30, to as much as 60. Pretty good turnouts, especially now that i have a stable venue to hold future tournies in the future.

Asside from maybe linguini, i dunno any other major south florida tournies.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Sounds great to me. We have two of the regions down. North Florida should hold a regional tournament too that way we have it all balanced.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Georgia desperately needs a ranking system like this.
Our PRs are already really ********.

We have people who have only been to like two tournaments in the past year still on the top 10 lists, yet there are people who are not on the list who have been to many more tournaments and place consistently higher than the ones on the list.
I could actually list a number of different things wrong with our PRs, :( But nobody will probably care. lol.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I was just looking over some things on the site... I don't remember there being 37 people at No Linguini's... I could be wrong tho

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Hmm... I'd say 20, MAYBE... Verify with chops, linguini, sighrax... Pretty much anyone that got top 5 lol
I'd just average all our guesses together for a decent estimate.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I'll admit I don't have a very organized method of getting the tournaments. Right now the only real rule is that it should have 30+ people. If anyone is willing to post links to results in threads here that would make the process a whole lot easier.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
A new point system would also help.

30+ sounds fair to me.

That way we can ditch out all the random tiny tourneys.

And i think that inactive players shouldn't be as much on the list as active players.

So also take into account how many tournaments they actually do attend.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Yea i agree i really like the FL rating system. Tis awesome. There is only one thing wrong with it.

*whispers* my name isnt on the website. So yea. Add lol. I got top 10 last gigs. not sure exactly what place.
I'm guessing 6th or 7th. They didn't release a list.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Yea i agree i really like the FL rating system. Tis awesome. There is only one thing wrong with it.

*whispers* my name isnt on the website. So yea. Add it lol. I got top 10 last gigs. not sure exactly what place.
I'm guessing 6th or 7th. They didn't release a list.

Crap i posted twise. G@y internet.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
It's probably a bit much to ask, but do you think Teams tournaments will ever make it onto your website?

PS: The website is amazing either way.

Top Bottom