• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
pressing A to attack requires a directional input, which is a bigger deal for mewtwo than peach since he can move in every direction while hovering. You'll lose some of your desired movement direction by dedicating the control stick to that time for the aerial. I changed my L button to jump and have started practicing using it to float as peach so come time for mewtwo I'll have separated the muscle memory for floating/hovering from that of jumping, so I can just use cstick to do aerials.
That's a good idea. I've also started practicing float canceling. Float cancelled nair shield pressure baby!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm going to love using nairhover pressure to get behind someone's shield and work my way in from there

Please stop calling it float, it's hover, which sounds cooler and befits our psychic badass
but I guess I can't stop you

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to love using nairhover pressure to get behind someone's shield and work my way in from there

Please stop calling it float, it's hover, which sounds cooler and befits our psychic badass
but I guess I can't stop you
I was referring to Peach. I'm going to practice float cancelled nair shield pressure to get ready for hover cancelled shield pressure.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Hover canceled nairs are going to put on some deadly shield pressure. You probably will be able to get a grab off fast enough to beat out most shield grabs too. I think the key hover maneuver is going to be the retreating bair and fair. Those two are going to be really safe, and you will be able to follow them up with lots of good moves (ftilt for example) at low %.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
Mewtwo's teleport is the same as in Melee + you can attack out of it.

lol

May as well give a certain ****ing annoying character a playstyle that revolves around one move that cancels into goddamn everything and makes them look like the crown jewel in a crown made out of trash and turn off everyone who sees this guy played from wanting to play PM. Evar.

..............oh.

I suppose Mewtwo shall be the successor of ****ty character design then!

(Can Ness be next after Mewtwo is released then inevitably nerfed after Wizzrobes cousin comes in and shows the world the atrocity that is PM Mewtwo? It's not hard really just copy and paste Ness from SD Remix 1.0. He probably wouldn't be that bad though just ****ing annoying so you would probably want to give him like oh.....I dunno let's say 5 frames of invincibility from startup on all of his moves. That might be enough to bring him to 2.5 Sonic and PM Mewtwo's levels.)
Let's remember that Mewtwo's teleport goes a set distance and, though it may not require what you would consider cooldown to go into an aerial attack, it requires some amount of time to do another teleport. Mewtwo's aerial mobility (since he'd end up in the air if he was trying to abuse teleport) is also much worse than that "certain character" and all of his mobility options. Yes, even with hover. Hover accelerates fairly slowly, and Mewtwo is a pretty big target.

Also please remember that Mewtwo can't sit in one place and charge his teleport with a clankable hitbox to win the neutral game. If you've got a teleport happy Mewtwo, bait him out and punish the crap out of him for it. It's by no means a get out of jail free card.

Remember that most people have only seen Mewtwo played. No one who has actually used him has come away with the impression that he is broken. I don't mind speculation; it'd be kind of boring if you guys didn't talk about things before they're released, but trying to call Mewtwo out as game-ruiningly annoying and broken without even grabbing a controller and using him is silly.

It's also completely bizarre to try to compare Mewtwo's teleport and Sonic's spindash just because they move and cancel into things.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Also it *does* require some cooldown -- 5 frames in the air (and no AD after teleport) -- which may not sound like a lot but when you combine that with the fact that his fastest aerial hits frame 5 it ends up being enough to ensure that teleporting into a region with any kind of active hitbox (even a flub) can be tricky or impossible.

Zolom

Smash Apprentice
So, I have a question. In Melee, when I would try to practice my Mewtwo, I always had a big issue with his up-b and air-dodge. If you named yourself, your name would follow you through your teleport, allowing people to know exactly where you were going. Thus, while playing Mewtwo, it was always wise to remain name-less. It is my hope that this is no longer the case. Can anyone possibly confirm this? Will playing Mewtwo, with a name tag, remove the "surprise" of air-dodging and up-b? Or does the name tag disappear as well?

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
So, I have a question. In Melee, when I would try to practice my Mewtwo, I always had a big issue with his up-b and air-dodge. If you named yourself, your name would follow you through your teleport, allowing people to know exactly where you were going. Thus, while playing Mewtwo, it was always wise to remain name-less. It is my hope that this is no longer the case. Can anyone possibly confirm this? Will playing Mewtwo, with a name tag, remove the "surprise" of air-dodging and up-b? Or does the name tag disappear as well?

It does with both actions, as well as a spotdodge.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
If we could figure it out, sure, but we haven't been able to do that so far for either character and it's not very high on our list of priorities... You can do rising aerials with Hover, though, so it's not such a big loss.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I'd much rather not let them have that option since they're djc'ers with float/hover. Let the non-float/hover chars with djc have rising aerials.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Could hovering around projectiles be a possible strategy for Mewtwo? Probably projectile dependent, but it's possible. Kind of like how Peach floats above Falco's laser game. Problem with Mewtwo, is that unlike Peach, our hover doesn't last that long. On the flip side, unlike Peach, we have 360 degree movement (Think like quick hovers to zig-zag around a Tink's boomerang game.

I'm also curious to see the hitbox on Mewtwo's fair. Apparently it's larger than it appears. How large will determine how much his game plan changes.

EDIT: A big problem with hovering around projectiles is Mewtwo's large size. It might just be safer to keep on the floor and wavedash/shield/teleport/roll/etc. But when Mewtwo gets released, we should try to see if us Mewtwo brothers can use the hover to our defensive advantage and report our findings back here.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Could hovering around projectiles be a possible strategy for Mewtwo? Probably projectile dependent, but it's possible. Kind of like how Peach floats above Falco's laser game. Problem with Mewtwo, is that unlike Peach, our hover doesn't last that long. On the flip side, unlike Peach, we have 360 degree movement (Think like quick hovers to zig-zag around a Tink's boomerang game.

I'm also curious to see the hitbox on Mewtwo's fair. Apparently it's larger than it appears. How large will determine how much his game plan changes.

EDIT: A big problem with hovering around projectiles is Mewtwo's large size. It might just be safer to keep on the floor and wavedash/shield/teleport/roll/etc. But when Mewtwo gets released, we should try to see if us Mewtwo brothers can use the hover to our defensive advantage and report our findings back here.
Remember that Confusion reflects projectiles now, so that gives us yet another option for dealing with projectiles (and tbh it's probably the best option imo)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

I think mewTWO's gonna be able to maneuver around projectiles like falco's lasers well, but not with just hover due to his size and reduced hover time from peach. He's gonna need smart usage of confusion and teleport too. His shield being bigger (i think) will make PS reflects easier as well (well, it will when PM has melee's PS mechanics).

EDIT: Yeah i see you der, m2k, post somethin'

xFumbles

Smash Apprentice
and honestly, we cant go around spamming our float because if we get hit out of it, we lose our jump. its best used when you are in control of the stage.

RKM

Smash Cadet
and honestly, we cant go around spamming our float because if we get hit out of it, we lose our jump. its best used when you are in control of the stage.

From what I've seen on stream, you can float directly off the ground and keep your dj, so float > upb > dj is possible.

GeZ

Smash Lord
From what I've seen on stream, you can float directly off the ground and keep your dj, so float > upb > dj is possible.
I really don't think so. I'm pretty sure that using hover takes away your second jump in all instances, and I'm near positive that teleport takes away all jumps regardless.
I got to play some Mewtwo on friday and I love the character. He feels really fun and weird, though definitely a high skill base character. I don't think float moves fast enough to dodge many projectiles, and coupled with Mewtwo's size you'd be hard pressed to bob and weave through much of anything.
If you guys have any questions, I might be able to answer a few, and I'll be playing him later this week, so I could test anything you guys were curious about.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I would like to know how fast you were able to hover cancel aerials, especially shadow claw. I think this move is going to be essential to putting on shield pressure. Doing 2 or 3 shadow claws to lock someone into their shield and then grabbing them would be awesome because it would give Mewtwo a way to set up grabs. Imagine teleport float cancel shadowclaw shadowclaw grab dthrow shadowclaw. It would be sort of like peach's float cancel fair jab dsmash.

Anyway, this is all contingent on the speed a human can input hover canceled fairs. What was your experience?

xFumbles

Smash Apprentice
the only thing about m2 that seriously bothers me is hardly indication when you fully charge shadowball, but lucario has one! i can also confirm that you can float/double jump out of teleport.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
the only thing about m2 that seriously bothers me is hardly indication when you fully charge shadowball, but lucario has one! i can also confirm that you can float/double jump out of teleport.
I feel like the purple fire on his hand is enough. It seems simple, yet elegant.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Even better, when somebody shoots a projectile, Teleport behind them and F-air them in the back of the head before they've even touched the ground again/the projectile even leaves the animation of them shooting.

Riotnerfplx

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Even better, when somebody shoots a projectile, Teleport behind them and F-air them in the back of the head before they've even touched the ground again/the projectile even leaves the animation of them shooting.

Riotnerfplx
Now that's an idea. With a little prediction you could get falco before he starts firing those stupid lasers. Wolf and Pit are really going to have to watch out for that.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You barely have to 'predict' it really.
If there's even like... half a stage between you and the opponent, what else is Falco/Pit going to try doing anyway?

If I can SH Nikita fast enough to get hit by a laser and have the missile free-fly at Falco's face in time, there's no reason Mewtwo free-flying at Falco's face will even need pre-meditative thought. XD

RKM

Smash Cadet
You barely have to 'predict' it really.
If there's even like... half a stage between you and the opponent, what else is Falco/Pit going to try doing anyway?

If I can SH Nikita fast enough to get hit by a laser and have the missile free-fly at Falco's face in time, there's no reason Mewtwo free-flying at Falco's face will even need pre-meditative thought. XD

Teleport behind snake and disable him just as missile comes out,
Teleport back and side-b missile back towards snake.
Shenanigans.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
As a Melee Mewtwo main, I would probably argue that side-b will not be a solid option to deal with projectiles. The move looks slightly faster than Melee, but unlike many other projectile reflecting moves, it is pretty laggy. More likely, we will see the move get used more as part of Mewtwo's offensive game than his defensive game,

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
As a Melee Mewtwo main, I would probably argue that side-b will not be a solid option to deal with projectiles. The move looks slightly faster than Melee, but unlike many other projectile reflecting moves, it is pretty laggy. More likely, we will see the move get used more as part of Mewtwo's offensive game than his defensive game,
I got a chance to try out Mewtwo yesterday, and I have to say that Confusion was EXTREMELY useful in dealing with opposing projectiles, especially from opposing Links and Falcos.

On large stages like FD and Dreamland, against a campy Falco, Confusion was quite literally the only thing that made the MU bearable.

And it definitely is great for the offensive game, though I was disappointed that I couldn't combo Confusion -> SH Disable. Disable looks like it's going to be a good gimping move when you hit them while they're in the air :)

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
I got a chance to try out Mewtwo yesterday, and I have to say that Confusion was EXTREMELY useful in dealing with opposing projectiles, especially from opposing Links and Falcos.

On large stages like FD and Dreamland, against a campy Falco, Confusion was quite literally the only thing that made the MU bearable.

And it definitely is great for the offensive game, though I was disappointed that I couldn't combo Confusion -> SH Disable. Disable looks like it's going to be a good gimping move when you hit them while they're in the air :)
Good to hear! However, Confusion's defensive usefulness will probably go down on smaller stages like Battlefield or Yoshi's Story. Perhaps the move just looks laggy and actually allows the player to act out of it sooner.

Rikana

Smash Champion
You are correct. Confusion is horrible against low lag projectiles like Falco's. Don't even bother with confusion to reflect lasers against Falco. You're better of wd'ing oos, hovering, or teleporting.

Also, Falco destroys Mewtwo regardless of the stage in Melee. Even FD.

Top Bottom