• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIRST NINTENDO DIRECT OF 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Hyped up! Everyone is expecting Diddy or Dixie for TF and Valentines, but I'm hoping for the original SmashBros lovers, the ICE CLIMBERS

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isn't Popo and Nana's relationship to one another sort of...undetermined?

They could be brother and sister. They could be husband and wife. Boyfriend and girlfriend. They could be just friends. Stalker and stalkee. I don't think it's ever been specified what they are to one another.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Too bad there's no chat room here so we can watch and discuss in real time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think we're getting Diddy by himself. I'm pumped for Diddy and Dixie, or Palutena or Lip or Shulk or Wonder Red or Bayonetta or whatever we get.

I'm just sure we're getting a trailer with whatever we get for Smash today.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nintendo is advertising Tropical Freeze with some valentine's images on their Facebook right now. I'll be damned if it won't be a Diddy/Dixie reveal, together or seperate doesn't matter.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think we're getting Diddy by himself. I'm pumped for Diddy and Dixie, or Palutena or Lip or Shulk or Wonder Red or Bayonetta or whatever we get.

I'm just sure we're getting a trailer with whatever we get for Smash today.
You think a newcomer is a complete given? I mean, I know it's pretty likely, but they might just reveal Diddy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For whatever reason I'm almost expecting more than one character, maybe even two newcomers in the same trailer. I kind of have the sneaking suspicion that I also like to set myself up for disappointment too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
rememeber sakurais retweet

Link added - https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/433722899275337728)

im going to show the translation (estimate) the amount of hype is going to be nukeclear warheads of hype

[Iwata] Good morning, is Iwata of Nintendo. I taped broadcast the "Nintendo Direct 2014.2.14" from 7:00 February 14 tomorrow. I will deliver to the soft center to be launched in the spring of this year, this time

EDIT: just found out they already posted the translation but no matter

Last edited:
I think people who are dreading Dixie and Diddy together lack faith. Sakurai isn't going to ditch Diddy's moveset. He knows fans love it. Two characters never attacked at once in Donkey Kong Country like Ice Climbers. Each character played differently. If we get a Dixie/Diddy combo I'm pretty sure they will be completely independent from each other, except for their forward B which will remain the same, but with a different animation (Dixie picking up Diddy and throwing him)

Of course he could just show Diddy and Dixie at the same time today even if they are separate characters. There's no rule that says he can't

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
You think a newcomer is a complete given? I mean, I know it's pretty likely, but they might just reveal Diddy.
Luigi was the only Veteran confirmed during a Direct (Sonic is a Third-Party, so he got a short trailer). It was the Year of Luigi, so it made sense.

I'm not sure Tropical Freeze is as significant enough to warrant a brief slideshow of Diddy's return in Smash. And certainly not an entire trailer. Why not simply show him off in the PotD, as with all past Veterans?

All signs point to at least a Diddy-Dixie combo, as that would be significant enough new to warrant Direct spotlight. Whether we get anything else on Smash, however, is up in the air.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
For whatever reason I'm almost expecting more than one character, maybe even two newcomers in the same trailer. I kind of have the sneaking suspicion that I also like to set myself up for disappointment too.
Yup, I have a similar feeling. Something tells we might get two characters today (three if you count Diddy, a veteran).

I am thinking they might reveal Dixie+Diddy and... King K. Rool. All three in the same trailer.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Luigi was the only Veteran confirmed during a Direct (Sonic is a Third-Party, so he got a short trailer). It was the Year of Luigi, so it made sense.

I'm not sure Tropical Freeze is as significant enough to warrant a brief slideshow of Diddy's return in Smash. And certainly not an entire trailer. Why not simply show him off in the PotD, as with all past Veterans?

All signs point to at least a Diddy-Dixie combo, as that would be significant enough new to warrant Direct spotlight. Whether we get anything else on Smash, however, is up in the air.
and for something else the hype bomb would be so big it would destroy the world if this happened

Regular free-for all gameplay with some of the already announced things from the daily pics, until at the end of the trailer, the camera slowly zooms into the hole in Pyroshere. Once enough tension is built, a big yellow eye shines from the darkness. The trailer cuts the action and ends with the release date.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Yup, I have a similar feeling. Something tells we might get two characters today (three if you count Diddy, a veteran).

I am thinking they might reveal Dixie+Diddy and... King K. Rool. All three in the same trailer.
If we got K. Rool and Dixie and/or Diddy in the same trailer, I'd probably die.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Incest is wincest
Mmmm. Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles.

Oh wait...

Yes. I think a newcomer is a given at this point. I don't think any veteran outside of Luigi that's first party merits a direct unless they've been completely revamped.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd be pretty disappointed if it was anything DK for the new SSB... I want something unexpected like Sakupon.
Why? Seriously, why?

Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's most popular series, why can't people be happy about it getting more reps in SSB4?

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
This NDirect will be about games that come out in spring so Smash will be released in spring :D

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
I predict we will see a new 'Sonic Boom' Trailer.. Maybe some 3DS footage. After that, the announcement of the Sonic Lost World Hyrule Zone DLC(maybe footage as well).

What newcomer for SSB4 considers. I just hope the best! I don't have any wishes. :3

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not entirely sure, but I would be disappointed if we didn't. Tropical Freeze is one of the biggest releases this year (so far) and the other big releases do not have a potential for reveal (like Yoshi, or maybe Wario with Mario Kart). That being said, we could get a second Mario newcomer or something. This, the first Direct of the year, would be the perfect time to reveal something and again, Sakurai mentioned the Direct. If I recall correctly, the only time he did that was in regards to Rosalina. So I am expecting a newcomer, Diddy is WAY to obvious in my mind. There is no aspect of surprise.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm totally hyped for this Direct. I'm eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream with blueberry syrup. I'd never do that on a normal day.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I'm totally hyped for this Direct. I'm eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream with blueberry syrup. I'd never do that on a normal day.
Hope that doesn't cause you to have to rush to the bathroom when the Direct starts LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom