• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIRST NINTENDO DIRECT OF 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I am not entirely sure, but I would be disappointed if we didn't. Tropical Freeze is one of the biggest releases this year (so far) and the other big releases do not have a potential for reveal (like Yoshi, or maybe Wario with Mario Kart). That being said, we could get a second Mario newcomer or something. This, the first Direct of the year, would be the perfect time to reveal something and again, Sakurai mentioned the Direct. If I recall correctly, the only time he did that was in regards to Rosalina. So I am expecting a newcomer, Diddy is WAY to obvious in my mind. There is no aspect of surprise.
Sakurai would be hard pressed to surprise us at every damn reveal, Direct or otherwise.

Surprises are nice, but getting the expected is just as good, I find, as it means one less unknown to worry about. So bring on the Diddly and whoever else, I say.

*sips tea like a bosse*

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Word from the Leaks and Rumors thread suggests that Lip could be a real possibility for the reveal as well as the already-established Diddy/Dixie, Palutena, and Shulk. Something to keep in mind, personally I'd love to see Lip revealed today since it would be something we wouldn't necessarily have seen coming, but in a good way.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai would be hard pressed to surprise us at every damn reveal, Direct or otherwise.

Surprises are nice, but getting the expected is just as good, I find, as it means one less unknown to worry about. So bring on the Diddly and whoever else, I say.

*sips tea like a bosse*
He isn't going to reveal Diddy Kong with a trailer, especially if there are not drastic alterations to his play-style. So at the very least, Dixie Kong would make sense, we would get a new character and all of the 12 year old Mewtwo fans will think that she replaced Diddy because she was revealed first. It will be glorious.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why? Seriously, why?

Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's most popular series, why can't people be happy about it getting more reps in SSB4?
They just don't seem unique, moveset wise, to me. Hair and crowns make the same hitboxes as swords and boomerangs.

I'm a huge hipster and even I've never heard of a Sakupon
He's the main character of joy mech fight, a fighting game for NES featuring Rayman-esk characters and a story that's a complete rip-off of Megaman. I don't particularly want him, but a DK character wouldn't be surprising.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They just don't seem unique, moveset wise, to me. Hair and crowns make the same hitboxes as swords and boomerangs.
Uniqueness is so overrated. I couldn't care less about that, I just want my favorite Ninty characters to be in the game.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
He isn't going to reveal Diddy Kong with a trailer, especially if there are not drastic alterations to his play-style. So at the very least, Dixie Kong would make sense, we would get a new character and all of the 12 year old Mewtwo fans will think that she replaced Diddy because she was revealed first. It will be glorious.
If a Diddy-Dixie combo is to be inspired by DKC2, seeing Diddy will be inevitable. So he might as well get some trailer spotlight, since he'll already be there.

If Dixie is a standalone announcement, then she'd get her own trailer. Diddy could then appear in the PotD later today, as you say.

Personally, the best outcome would be a DK splurge. A Diddy-Dixie combo reveal, a new DK stage, and King K Rool to cap off the Kong extravaganza. 8D

"I can hold it!"
*quivers in pain*
Or, you can just let it all out. Because we here at SWF accept you the way you are.

Morbi

Scavenger
If nothing smash related gets revealed during the direct... Can I complain without being chastised?
I wouldn't worry to much, but there are some avid Sakurai sympathizers that defend every single one of his poor marketing decisions. I have gotten used to it, so I don't really care if I am chastised.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If nothing smash related gets revealed during the direct... Can I complain without being chastised?
There is absolutely zero chance of that. There was some tweet Sakurai even put regarding it, the pic of the day, the direct, there is no chance we won't get at least SOMETHING.

By the way, Peach's picture isn't getting enough love. So she's now my profile picture for now. I absolutely love her new move, it's either an Up Strong or Up Air. I'm excited for her changes.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
When we are watching the nintendo direct, Alfonzo is in charge of the hype-train.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Morbi

Scavenger
There is absolutely zero chance of that. There was some tweet Sakurai even put regarding it, the pic of the day, the direct, there is no chance we won't get at least SOMETHING.

By the way, Peach's picture isn't getting enough love. So she's now my profile picture for now. I absolutely love her new move, it's either an Up Strong or Up Air. I'm excited for her changes.
I actually really like her new tilt/smash attack. You can never go wrong with rainbows... that being said, they probably should have revealed her picture when they revealed Donkey Kong being hit with the home-run bat. The Peach discussion wouldn't be severely attenuated and there would be more hype!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wouldn't worry to much, but there are some avid Sakurai sympathizers that defend every single one of his poor marketing decisions. I have gotten used to it, so I don't really care if I am chastised.
No, I can understand if people would get pissed if we don't get something.I'd even understand if we just get Diddy and people get pissed.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna sit here, assume it will be a simple un-changed Diddy confirmation and wait 1 more hour.

Hype only leads to disappointment. :c

peachy!

super princess
Word from the Leaks and Rumors thread suggests that Lip could be a real possibility for the reveal as well as the already-established Diddy/Dixie, Palutena, and Shulk. Something to keep in mind, personally I'd love to see Lip revealed today since it would be something we wouldn't necessarily have seen coming, but in a good way.
I was about to bring this up. Lip is in my top ten wishes. I’d love for her to be in the game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see SSB4 at all. And directs don't get alot of attention. I'm honestly surprised we even saw Rosalina before E3.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm just gonna sit here, assume it will be a simple un-changed Diddy confirmation and wait 1 more hour.

Hype only leads to disappointment. :c
I suppose, but again, why would he leave Diddy Kong unaltered; while also retaining him as the announcement via trailer? It isn't logical. However, maybe it is so expected that is is actually unexpected. Most rational speculators would believe something fairly dramatic to happen, so why not just reveal Diddy Kong and crush their hopes and dreams? :awesome:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I still laugh at these... Is that a problem?

That's good to know. Don't wanna miss a second of this Direct.
When Reggie's meme gets old, Alfonzo takes control of Nintendo Memes.
Alfonzo: "My body is ready, so leave it to me!!!"

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Finally this thread is picking up.

All aboard!
just settle for dis, ik its not e3

Last edited:

peachy!

super princess
I actually really like her new tilt/smash attack. You can never go wrong with rainbows... that being said, they probably should have revealed her picture when they revealed Donkey Kong being hit with the home-run bat. The Peach discussion wouldn't be severely attenuated and there would be more hype!
I completely agree! Her new attack looks awesome. I love that Peach is getting a revamp. She was a great character in Melee, but sucked in Brawl.

On that note, having a picture of DK today and mentioning the upcoming Direct would have been such a good move, especially if the newcomer announced is not a DK rep. :troll:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I suppose, but again, why would he leave Diddy Kong unaltered; while also retaining him as the announcement via trailer? It isn't logical. However, maybe it is so expected that is is actually unexpected. Most rational speculators would believe something fairly dramatic to happen, so why not just reveal Diddy Kong and crush their hopes and dreams? :awesome:
He only does that on anniversaries though :troll:.

I'm pretty confident we're getting a newcomer, it's about time. Even once we get another we'll only have the same amount of newcomers as revealed in Brawl's first trailer.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Seriously, if we get Lip, it's going to be the same "Wow, I could not give less of a **** about this" that I felt for Rosalina.

And, as for Lip, I like characters that I recognize without having to go to Wikipedia for an hour.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Seriously, if we get Lip, it's going to be the same "Wow, I could not give less of a **** about this" that I felt for Rosalina.

I like characters that I recognize without having to go to Wikipedia for an hour.
You had to go to Wikipedia to know who Rosalina was? Never played Mario Galaxy, I presume?

But yeah, I am hoping the newcomer this time is a well known character, like Dixie, K. Rool or Ridley.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
  1. Who replaces Alfonzo when Alfonzo memes get redundant (which is about now-ish)?
    When Alfonzo memes get old, Sakurai doesn't know what he's creating.
    Sakurai: "Sometimes the Smash Bros series leaves me confused about what I am creating"

Morbi

Scavenger

I like characters that I recognize without having to go to Wikipedia for an hour.
This. This is exactly how I feel. That being said, I didn't need to look Rosalina up on Wikipedia... so HYPE! :awesome:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You had to go to Wikipedia to know who Rosalina was? Never played Mario Galaxy, I presume?
That part of my post was about Lip. Of course I know who Rosy is. I just don't give a **** about her (being in Smash Bros.; in-universe, she's pretty cool).

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think there's a chance of a K. Rool reveal in this Direct if K. Rool isn't in Tropical Freeze?

What I'm saying is, would they think that showcasing K. Rool when Retro's new game uses different villains would be insulting to Retro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom