• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Custom Image.jpg
Smash bros: Attack of the clones

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I hate that it was leaked... we still have to let Nintendo confirm it, but WOW I am so hype for Ryu! I am happy for Roy but he wouldn't be one of my first choice to come back, although I loved him in Melee and PM. But hey, it's not like a clone is taking the spot of someone else nowaday; we have lots more space for new characters.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
"true all-star series"

you realize that FE does hold that status in Japan, right? Sometimes that's all it takes.

Also, it was a given that Roy was coming back as soon as Mewtwo was announced. With him topping the request polls, how is it any shock to anyone that he's back, especially as a veteran?
But those other three I SPECIFICALLY mentioned are also just as popular over there, except maybe DK. So...why no new Metroid reps? Why no Bandana Dee?

metalman311

Smash Rookie
Ryu is a solid addition. But Roy? Come on... I love fire emblem but giving marth another clone is kinda dumb. There are 5 FE characters now. I hope the next smash (if there is one) they have fewer characters but focus on making them perfect. These giant rosters aren't making the game better in my opinion.

Senoue

Smash Rookie
To everyone complaining about Ryu in the game and his connection to Nintendo...Street Fighter 2 did first come out on SNES.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Why Roy :/....... Why another Marth clone...... No more clones Sakurai, where's the originality that Nintendo is trying to go for? Watch Pichu come after E3... Hope not, nice work on Ryu though, excited to see his final smash

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
But those other three I SPECIFICALLY mentioned are also just as popular over there, except maybe DK. So...why no new Metroid reps? Why no Bandana Dee?
Because SSB isn't just a popularity contest. If the character can't just be a clone and isn't unique enough to warrant their own slot they don't become playable. Simple as that.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Why Roy :/....... Why another Marth clone...... No more clones Sakurai, where's the originality that Nintendo is trying to go for? Watch Pichu come after E3... Hope not, nice work on Ryu though, excited to see his final smash
We don't know for a fact he's still a clone. We haven't seen his normals yet; only his specials.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
So yeah. I wish that Roy could have his semi-clone PM move set with the DED turnaround and the better F tilt / arial game. Too bad Nintendo wouldn't ever recognize PM and take stuff from it. :(

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

"You scrubs didn't think I KNEW this would happen? Buckle up and have your toilet paper ready, kiddies 'cuz Daddy Sakurai's got a few tricks up his sleeve for E3."

Seriously; do you really think this would be all they'd have to present for Smash at E3? Pretty sure they have some things that are much more under wraps than this, and for all we know, this could be distracting us from that. If I recall, Roy/Ryu were discovered around the time Smash Ballot began, so their existence likely isn't because of the ballot. Soooooo, this means we can be seeing some Smash Ballot characters during E3 :D
We can always hope. (Hopefully) More that one Smash Ballot character FTW!!

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
So does anyone think Ryu will get an animated trailer?

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Gut reactions:

Roy - I think our boy's been working out since Melee, and his design is like a mishmash between Sword of Seals and Awakening, and appears to play like a Melee Marth clone, so he serves the same purpose of Dr. Mario's inclusion (which I have no objection to).

Ryu - I so wanted this, but I still can't believe it actually freaking happened! Sure, he's got the basic shoto moveset (plus a focus attack and some SF-like normal to special move combos), but it looks like it'll translate really well into Smash Bros.! I wonder if Shin Shoryuken is going to be one of his customs (assuming all the DLC characters will get customs at some point).

While I am hyped, I'm sure the reveal trailers will have something awesome that we haven't seen yet, so I'm looking forward even more to everything that gets shown tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
So yeah. I wish that Roy could have his semi-clone PM move set with the DED turnaround and the better F tilt / arial game. Too bad Nintendo wouldn't ever recognize PM and take stuff from it. :(
It's a knock off of their own game they created, no company that respects itself would ;)

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
At least we can look forward to some character-reveal trailers. Those are always noice.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
D R O P P E D
D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Thanks for the 3 Marths!

Melee enthusiasts and whoever bandwagoned with them ruined a once fine roster.

Also let's not forget the epic "Roy's our Boy" meme

XDDDDDDDD

F*ck this. I'm not buying him. Hell ****ing no.

Ryu I'm fine with. Roy sucks.
Bruhh, his PH1R3 sword can now turn enemies into Thanksgiving Dinner!!

LET'S ALL GIVE THANKS!!!

Last edited:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
this is so AWESOME! but do we really need another marth clone? I hope they declone roy's moveset or something. ryu looks awesome

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
People be complaining about marth clones where clone characters are relevant in smash games. Sigh... I guess this is what happens when half the fan base is 12 and under

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

But seriously, surprised it wasn't Chun Li, what with the push for more female characters.

And someone needs to remake "Too Many Cooks" to be "Too Many Marths". :D

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

But seriously, surprised it wasn't Chun Li, what with the push for more female characters.

And someone needs to remake "Too Many Cooks" to be "Too Many Marths". :D
I know you are probably joking, but those two things have really nothing to do with each other.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
YO, I'M MORE EXCITED FOR THE ZERO MII COSTUME THAT WAS LEAKED!!! AS FAR AS I KNOW, I'M THE ONLY GUY WHO REQUESTED THAT IN THE BALLOT, SO I KINDA FEEL SPECIAL, RIGHT NOW!!! :'D

I'm buying this in a heart beat

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I find it funny that many are complaining about Roy. I personally think he is perfect for DLC. Sakurai knows that Melee is still a prominent title in the Smash series, and probably added Roy to appeal to those fans. Wouldn't it have been worse if Roy was in the main roster instead of another more worthy character? And besides, you know what the beauty of Roy for DLC is? Nobodies obligated to go and buy him! Look at that, it's like he never existed. Speak o' that. That said, I'm excited for both, and I can't wait to try the hell out of Ryu.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
i'll have to wait before i get lucas just in case i use up the last of my e-shop money and they announce that ryu will come soon and i waste the money on lucas. i only get e-shop money once a month.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Boy, this means that I was right about characters getting into the game from the same company. If we have Ryu AND Mega Man in this game, who the heck is to say we can't have Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield in this? Or maybe even Sophitia, Talim or Jin, maybe even Knuckles or Tails.

But if you refer to the recent Soul Calibur popularity poll, Namco announced they had something special planned. Do you think this could mean Namco might introduce Talim?

The flood gates are even more open than ever, everyone.
You just cannot say that "X character" can't get in anymore for "X reason". No, as we've seen from Ryu and Mega Man, characters from the same COMPANY can get in, but NOT the same franchise.

Guys, seriously, I think we need to reconsider the reasons as to why characters can't get in the game and why they can.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Any number of reasons, really. Also, nobody has ever said "you'll never get more characters". Despite having The Sword of Seals, Roy is not sealing off the roster. He was just extremely easy to implement.

Ridley is too big, he's already a stage mechanic. Who else could come from Metroid?

As for more Kirby reps (and other series), there's always hope. Just depends on how much they're requested, how relevant they are, and probably a hundred other factors that only Sakurai and his team knows.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I know you are probably joking, but those two things have really nothing to do with each other.
Well, kinda.

I mean, let's be honest: Ryu WILL attract Street Fighter fans and some of them are sure to be more serious fighting game players.

Sakurai basically just told us to go play Street Fighter, then he brings some Street Fighter to SSB.

Nothing against Ryu at all, either. Frankly, I like the idea of getting SF players interested in SSB4. I just don't understand Sakurai's logic one bit, here...

Or maybe this is foreshadowing the announcement that Nintendo is buying Capcom (which would be a strategically sound move) or maybe that SF4 is coming out on WiiU?

Though they shot that down pretty damn hard (which means Ryu makes even less sense, really...):
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-and-ps4-but-not-wii-u-eventually-getting-/1100-6421799/

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well, Ryu looks cool. There's always that one DLC character I never get though [Roy].

There's Smash E3 for you, guys. As witnessed by when Gematsu was floating around, they don't care if people know about leaks so...

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I have no problem with Roy whatsoever, honestly. In fighting games, there are always characters that you may not want to choose, and that's perfectly fine, but there's no need to get salty over a character's inclusion. The exact same thing happened with the Tekken 7 fanbase when the character Lucky Chloe was revealed. Some people were really pissed off for no reason (It's not like silly characters haven't appeared in Tekken before). Here's an idea: If you don't like the character, don't play as them. I know that sounds awfully similar to the sorts of things whiny Youtube commenters post when someone constructively criticises their idols, but when it comes to fighting games, including Smash Bros, the phrase is applicable.

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Oh boy. Marth #3 but this time with a sweetspot that's dumb for a sword wielder. Yay?

Also if Ryu's in then Snake please.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
>Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario
smash players: ok
>Fox, Falco, Wolf
smash players: ok
>Marth, Roy, Lucina
smash players: nO ABSOLUTELY NOT too many MARTHS I demand REFUND BOYCOTT SAKURAI

Top Bottom