• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fireballs

Eggz

Smash Hero
Are so much better than pills. holy **** lol.

Recovery
Shooting fireballs while DIing back to the stage and after your second jump block certain paths of edgeguarding. If they bounce off the stage, they block low edgeguards as well as mid edgeguards. I fireballed and it hit the stage and gayed my opponent enough to not recover after be bair'd me (mario ditto) **** and i made it back. aw yeah.

Approach
Full hop fireball -> waveland is ****. Lets you close ground while putting a hit box out. Its like a really ****ty shl.
Full hop fireball -> ftilt
Full hop fireball -> whatever
Hit with the fireball and you have enough hitstun to get a tilt or smash in. raaaape.

edgeguarding
s'aight. >_>

Mario > Doc >_> <_< >_>

mario-man

Smash Lord
umm.....pills are only better if you CAN ACTUALLY CONNECT THEM!! The trajectory is so dumb on them it's almost impossible to connect on any smart player

mario-man

Smash Lord
I hope you lol'd because you know it's true and not cuz you still think I'm stupid, but I have a sinking suspicion.....

what's up with the ? mark anyways?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Doc players pretend that pills are good for camping, but in reality they are just as worthless for camping as fireballs.

Kevin, contribute to the conversation.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Fireballs are better for camping seeing as how you'd be able to roast marshmallows with them.

mario-man

Smash Lord
versus what, getting rid of so-called "viruses". Fireballs = way better than pills

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Doc players pretend that pills are good for camping, but in reality they are just as worthless for camping as fireballs.

Kevin, contribute to the conversation.
Ok well personally i think Pills are an extremely good projectile, if not just for the damage but for the ability to start an approach. You're not going to be able to just spam either Pills or Fireballs and the reason i lol'd at mario-man is he made it sound like you CAN do that unlike pills, both are situational, and both are good.

I agree though fireballs roast marshmallows almost as good as Bowsers flame.

Eggz

Smash Hero
anyone read my first post? where i point out why fireballs > pills?

pills cant do like anything i said in the first post as well.

mario-man

Smash Lord
mhmm...it's called delusions of grandeur*looks at the entire Doc boards with an eye of accusation*

LOL

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I believe fire balls move faster than pills. Otherwise, I prefer camping with fireballs because of edible camping reasons...

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
You're all fools. You can't get high on fireballs. That automatically makes Pills superior.

On a more serious note, I have to say that Pills > Fireballs when it comes to approach options. The Fireball trajectory travels far too straight to be able to approach at close range. The practically horizontal exit angle makes short range approach dangerous, since full jumping leaves you really vulnerable from below since the Fireball won't cover that particular low angle the way Pills can. This essentially relegates Fireballs to long-distance spamming only. Any time that the opponent is close, Fireballs cease to be a safe option.

On the other hand, Pills make approaching godly. The exit angle is so low that it makes short-range approaching virtually safe (to a certain degree). This makes approaching ideal; after all, being able to approach (sort of) safely from short range means more pressure options, and being able to take advantage of the opponent a lot faster than if you were spamming at long-range.

And another point to add here: Pill trajectory alone, even after the initial exit angle, is also godly. The whole point of a projectile (usually) is to control the space between you and the opponent by making a virtual "no fly" zone. Look at Bridget's yo-yo from GGXX, or Samus' missiles or YL's bomb/rang combos--you see that **** coming at you, and you're forced to either move to avoid it, or shield. . .and the limited number of options you have to avoid it means that the spammer has a better chance at manipulating and controlling/predicting your movement.

What does this have to do with Pills and Fireballs? Pills cover a wider area when full-jumped, meaning that it severely limits the opponent's movement options. Fireballs cover such a small area (vertically speaking) that it doesn't control/pressure the opponent as much as a decent projectile should.

Other than approaching though, Fireballs > Pills. I like the fact that Fireballs can spike, screw with edgeguarding, and be spammed. It's just that when it comes down to approaching, Pills have Fireballs beat.

Eggz

Smash Hero
You're all fools. You can't get high on fireballs. That automatically makes Pills superior.

On a more serious note, I have to say that Pills > Fireballs when it comes to approach options. The Fireball trajectory travels far too straight to be able to approach at close range. The practically horizontal exit angle makes short range approach dangerous, since full jumping leaves you really vulnerable from below since the Fireball won't cover that particular low angle the way Pills can. This essentially relegates Fireballs to long-distance spamming only. Any time that the opponent is close, Fireballs cease to be a safe option.

On the other hand, Pills make approaching godly. The exit angle is so low that it makes short-range approaching virtually safe (to a certain degree). This makes approaching ideal; after all, being able to approach (sort of) safely from short range means more pressure options, and being able to take advantage of the opponent a lot faster than if you were spamming at long-range.

And another point to add here: Pill trajectory alone, even after the initial exit angle, is also godly. The whole point of a projectile (usually) is to control the space between you and the opponent by making a virtual "no fly" zone. Look at Bridget's yo-yo from GGXX, or Samus' missiles or YL's bomb/rang combos--you see that **** coming at you, and you're forced to either move to avoid it, or shield. . .and the limited number of options you have to avoid it means that the spammer has a better chance at manipulating and controlling/predicting your movement.

What does this have to do with Pills and Fireballs? Pills cover a wider area when full-jumped, meaning that it severely limits the opponent's movement options. Fireballs cover such a small area (vertically speaking) that it doesn't control/pressure the opponent as much as a decent projectile should.

Other than approaching though, Fireballs > Pills. I like the fact that Fireballs can spike, screw with edgeguarding, and be spammed. It's just that when it comes down to approaching, Pills have Fireballs beat.
Yeah, I'll agree that pills are better for close range approach. But the fireballs trajectory makes them good for long distance approach.
You can get to your opponent at the same time as your fireball, with no lag at all with a full hopped fireball -> waveland. It keeps them grounded, and against certain characters, thats just ****.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Pills are better i think they are faster and dont have that much lag on Mario
But its true Fireballs do have some very good uses and these are some good examples

Saith

Smash Apprentice
I love how you ignore when i say they're good for an approach Shane

Lets stop ignoring each other now? KKz?
Pills are better i think they are faster and dont have that much lag on Mario
But its true Fireballs do have some very good uses and these are some good examples
no the fireballs is way faster but the pills do more damage though ya

mario-man

Smash Lord
but the pills do more damage though ya
barely......it's not even worth saying that they do. Doc players rub it in Mario's face, but it's not anything to be proud of as far as difference in %'s go.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I honestly don't know why you guys are just figuring this out. I have been using fireballs ever since I picked up Mario I mean I throw two fireballs and walk to set up a fsmash. Against Samus' Bomb jump you can just swoop in and steal the bombs. I'm not sure about camping they seem to be about even unless Mario has a platform then Fireball>pill.

FullJump fireball-> waveland is sick
full jump fireball-> double jump fireball-> waveland(Something Doc can't do... HA!) is also very sick

I'll probably make a fireball guide sometime over Christmas break that way I can get some of my nifty tricks out before Brawl comes I'll probably call it Fireball: a guide on how to roast marshmallows

Eggz

Smash Hero
I honestly don't know why you guys are just figuring this out. I have been using fireballs ever since I picked up Mario I mean I throw two fireballs and walk to set up a fsmash. Against Samus' Bomb jump you can just swoop in and steal the bombs. I'm not sure about camping they seem to be about even unless Mario has a platform then Fireball>pill.

FullJump fireball-> waveland is sick
full jump fireball-> double jump fireball-> waveland(Something Doc can't do... HA!) is also very sick

I'll probably make a fireball guide sometime over Christmas break that way I can get some of my nifty tricks out before Brawl comes I'll probably call it Fireball: a guide on how to roast marshmallows
By "never figured this out", I hope you mean "been too lazy to post this after doing everything you've listed for like 2 years"

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, I'll agree that pills are better for close range approach. But the fireballs trajectory makes them good for long distance approach.
You can get to your opponent at the same time as your fireball, with no lag at all with a full hopped fireball -> waveland. It keeps them grounded, and against certain characters, thats just ****.
Uhh >.> not to take sides on the issue (I think they both accel at different things, pills being more defensive walling and fireballs being better for recovery and edgeguarding, both phailing at approach overall as far as projectiles go) but pills can do the exact same thing, except most character's can't shffl over a pill.

Fulljump pill -> waveland is easily done and the bounce keeps them just as grounded.

I do have to say though, that fireballs are better at forcing characters to jump (avoidance) while pills are almost always ground-cancelled (jabs).

Binx

Smash Master
people could jab the fireballs as well though, also with the full jump pill waveland they could grab you out of it couldnt they?

Gea

Smash Master
The point is fireball's low (generally, unless fulljumped, but then the arc is still slow and easy to get under) trajectory allows for shffling over. Pills do not. You have to fulljump over them. Most characters lack the mobility to attempt this without getting punished, so they just cancel the pills.

Eggz

Smash Hero
The point is, nobody uses fireball waveland like i do. LOL
and docs like never pill waveland, or do anything aside from run away and pill

Gea

Smash Master
and docs like never pill waveland
Don't make me ruffle through our topics and start posting cites of this. You told someone in this very topic, "Oh, you mean the stuff [you've] been doing for two years? lol"

This is just as old, Eggz.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Don't make me ruffle through our topics and start posting cites of this. You told someone in this very topic, "Oh, you mean the stuff [you've] been doing for two years? lol"

This is just as old, Eggz.
talking about it in topics =/= using it in videos

Gea

Smash Master
lol I assure you it exists, Eggz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyVGCBaVGU

You don't see it as often because Docs rarely fulljump pills because unlike Mario, they don't need to try and bounce them higher. All it does for Doc is inhibit the approach against many characters since they can get under it easier.

Top Bottom