• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I miss this old thread, I remember the days when I and others were still speculating about Fire Emblem Awakening coming out and ever since i've still been missing out, going to actually pick this up this holiday season and see if it lives up to the Fire Emblem name

Also need to play FE7 since i've always heard it was one of the best of the series.

Been replaying Path of Radiance and finally started playing Radiant Dawn a few days ago for the 1st time, must say the story is quite enjoyable, cant wait to see what's next.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Just relived sacred stones. It was great, wish I had a 3DS tho. Awakening looks so gooood, but I only like a hand full of games for that thing :( I would just be wasting my money right now.

D

Deleted member 269706

ITS HAPPENING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
We should ask Smashboards to include Fire Emblem as its own forum in the Nintenzone along with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. It's certainly a big enough franchise, with tons of lore and many fans, especially on this site.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Huh. So apparently, Nintendo reprinted Radiant Dawn in the U.S. last year.

Source

Hopefully this might decrease the price of the game a bit?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I might be late to the discussion but uh
tharja for worst girl
Yeah, I agree.

Guys, I have to admit, the fake Grima's Vengeance thing really got me excited. I know a direct sequel would be hell, but I was hoping for a "distant future" thing with a couple time-travelling cameos... Oh well. I just hate how every time I fall in love with a new FE cast, they never stick around for very long...

And, uh, guys? I gotta say, I'm concerned I'm gonna hate SMTxFE. Like, I hope this isn't the only FE project on the horizon, seriously. The more SMT/Persona stuff I see, the less I like it.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Huh. So apparently, Nintendo reprinted Radiant Dawn in the U.S. last year.

Source

Hopefully this might decrease the price of the game a bit?
Every time I see someone mention how expensive RD is, I stop for a moment to laugh at consider the poor sod who sold me a mint condition second-hand copy for €10, not realising that he could easily gotten at least 8x that on eBay.

in other news, since I don't believe it's been mentioned here yet, Sacred Stones is now available on the Wii U VC in Europe

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
Pretty good trailer, Giant Dad from dark souls makes an appearance :p

On a more serious note, has anyone noticed they've kinda dropped the western style fantasy design and picked up a very Japanese shogun/samurai esque style

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Awesome, new Fire Emblem. It's cool to see a change of... I want to say setting but that isn't true. Aesthetics? That works.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Guys, I have to admit, the fake Grima's Vengeance thing really got me excited. I know a direct sequel would be hell, but I was hoping for a "distant future" thing with a couple time-travelling cameos... Oh well. I just hate how every time I fall in love with a new FE cast, they never stick around for very long...

And, uh, guys? I gotta say, I'm concerned I'm gonna hate SMTxFE. Like, I hope this isn't the only FE project on the horizon, seriously. The more SMT/Persona stuff I see, the less I like it.
Welp, I got my wish! I like that we're getting a new, original Fire Emblem, instead of a crossover. The samurai style looks like a neat new twist! I love the fluid battle transitions, too!

It remains to be seen exactly how this entry will stack up, but visually it seems to be off to a good start. Except... I'm not entirely thrilled the character designer from No More Heroes came back. Here's hoping we don't get a bunch of half-naked lolita maids...

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Alright, Just watched it.
yeah the samurai style is pretty hype., new art-style is pretty kick-ass too.
Also camera spin when the battle starts ;V

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
More weeb artstyles.
yay...

I know FE always had anime artsyles but these just...suck.
I got hyped at the start of the trailer with that dark like look.
Then Ms. Blue hair innocent baka danced on screen.

SIGH.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
More weeb artstyles.
yay...

I know FE always had anime artsyles but these just...suck.
I got hyped at the start of the trailer with that dark like look.
Then Ms. Blue hair innocent baka danced on screen.

SIGH.
Dude... what? Every single Fire Emblem since the very first one has used an anime artstyle in some capacity. Perhaps FE games just aren't for you? I don't even know how to properly respond to your angst, here, cause I feel like I don't understand where you're coming from.

The singer/dancer main character doesn't bother me any. Towards the end there, it looked like she had some kind of mirror image of herself going on, or something. The golem in the CGI, the samurai characters, et all, are all hinting at the larger conflict.

I mean, it took me a year to buy Awakening because I judged the game on the character art alone... but when I finally did buy it, I found out that I loved the game. Awakening has some shortcomings in the gameplay, and I don't care for the mild fetish pandering, and the story was par for the course, but you know what? Some of my favorite FE characters are in Awakening. The writing was really excellent, as was the voice work. Lucina's reconciliation with Chrom is the most beautiful and heart-wrenching scene I have ever seen in a video game. The game is usually too easy or too hard, but it's still really fun to play.

TL;DR don't sell the game short because of uguu animu just yet, man. This is the first ever tailer. Game's probably still in development. It doesn't even have a title yet.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Dude... what? Every single Fire Emblem since the very first one has used an anime artstyle in some capacity. Perhaps FE games just aren't for you? I don't even know how to properly respond to your angst, here, cause I feel like I don't understand where you're coming from.

The singer/dancer main character doesn't bother me any. Towards the end there, it looked like she had some kind of mirror image of herself going on, or something. The golem in the CGI, the samurai characters, et all, are all hinting at the larger conflict.

I mean, it took me a year to buy Awakening because I judged the game on the character art alone... but when I finally did buy it, I found out that I loved the game. Awakening has some shortcomings in the gameplay, and I don't care for the mild fetish pandering, and the story was par for the course, but you know what? Some of my favorite FE characters are in Awakening. The writing was really excellent, as was the voice work. Lucina's reconciliation with Chrom is the most beautiful and heart-wrenching scene I have ever seen in a video game. The game is usually too easy or too hard, but it's still really fun to play.

TL;DR don't sell the game short because of uguu animu just yet, man. This is the first ever tailer. Game's probably still in development. It doesn't even have a title yet.
I understand what he meant about the original art style. It looked way too good to be true, especially on a 3DS. However, I actually prefer the anime design. Anything else simply wouldn't be Fire Emblem. Also, what does everyone think about the dancer? i.e. Who is she? Let's get some speculation going!

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I understand what he meant about the original art style. It looked way too good to be true, especially on a 3DS. However, I actually prefer the anime design. Anything else simply wouldn't be Fire Emblem. Also, what does everyone think about the dancer? i.e. Who is she? Let's get some speculation going!
inb4 lucina fanboys says its lucina
Well she was obviously put there to pique interest, and this world looks like one ravaged by war.
im guessing shes going to be somewhere along the lines of a lord-like character, or at least a plot advancer. She seems like the type you would have to rescue/fight in an evil form

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So guys, are you ready for the new Fire Emblem to be terrible waifu pandering and Babby's First Strategy Game crap like Fire Emblem: Awakening?

Because I really want Fire Emblem discussions to continue being terrible.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I forgot to check this section and I forgot that this thread existed, so, this is from the Robin Social thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/time...n-social-thread.334742/page-512#post-18386632.

Has anyone noticed the names of the characters? Sometimes names are just names, but in some cases, they have references to other things no matter how subtle. Hopefully, the localization doesn't mess things too much since yes, Cordelia is linked with "heart" in Latin, but Tiamo, her Japanese name, is Italian for "I love you" which is a larger hint to her unrequited love for Chrom. Reflet is French for "reflection" as in Robin/Reflet/Avatar reflects you, the player.
Y'know what's cool? Names. Kamui is a divine being in Ainu mythology and Marx is a German version of Mars, the Roman God of War. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reference to Bishamonten and/or Kenshin Uesugi.

Kamui apparently are just divine beings meaning they could be a deity of whatever. In this case, Kamui could be a deity of war, warfare, or something else. If Kamui is not the Avatar, but a divine being then it could explain the different forms of Kamui. What if Kamui shapeshifts? What if one version of Kamui is mute? It's all speculation here.
Anyway, I decided to look into "Kamui" and "Marx" a bit more. I remembered Kamui referring a deity in Ainu mythology while Marx is a German version for Mars, the Roman God of War. Well, in the trailer, it looks like Japan versus Rome. Well, Marx may stay as Marx overseas, but maybe not. Maybe in Japan and Germany, he's known as Marx, but in the US, Italy?, and France, he would known as Mars. Hell, if there's a Greek localization, Marx may be Ares.

Considering a war, one faction being based on Rome, and that Marx will probably play a somewhat important role, there may be a reason he's named after a Roman God of War.

Oh, and I hope the dancer lady becomes really important throughout the game. Why? Well, I think it'd be cool for a dance-based fighter in a future SSB game. The closest thing we have to that is Peach with her twirliness.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I think you're overthinking the Marx thing a bit with the Mars comparison. It's best to keep it simple. Obviously we're going to be fighting against communism. What better way strategy could IS come up with to sell the game in America?

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I think you're overthinking the Marx thing a bit with the Mars comparison. It's best to keep it simple. Obviously we're going to be fighting against communism. What better way strategy could IS come up with to sell the game in America?
Fight communists who are also illegal immigrants who defy freedom.
maybe well get a US FE game localized to Freedom Emblem

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marx is based on Mars. Mars is Marth's Japanese name to.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Most translations I've seen of that name so far went with 'Max'.
That reminds me... I should finish my Dark Cloud 2 playthrough... OR RESTART IT AGAIN FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME!!!

... I've never beaten Dark Cloud 1 or 2, but I came so close and then... NOTHING! JUST NOTHING! *cries in a corner*

Anyway, Serenesforest translated it as Marx and mentioned that there are new weapons like maces, katanas, and naginatas. Maybe being on which side determines the weapons you can get, but they still follow the same weapon triangle. Oh, bows might have an advantage and disadvantage depending on what's happening, like if they're attacking, then an advantage, but if they're getting attacked up close, then it's a disadvantage to them. So, archers might be much better now if they basically become a sword to an axe when used they attack, but become the reverse when attacked instead of being static damage and useless up close.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm going with Marx, since the katakana reads マークス, or "Mākusu" - long A in a Japanese loan word is usually meant to be R, since Japanese tends to use British pronunciations for loan words (assuming they meant to take it from English, of course). It could also be read as Marcus, except we already have one of those (and his Japanese name is マーカス (Mākasu), so maybe not). If they had meant Max, they'd probably have used マックス (Makkusu) instead.

(this is all just based on my understanding of how Japanese handles foreign words, and could be entirely wrong; if any fluent Japanese speakers disagree, I'm not going to argue)

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The katakana yields more credence to Marcus or Marx. I'd rather it be either; the name Max just seems lackluster for a presumably-lead character in the Fire Emblem universe.

After analyzing the trailer and screens for a bit, I came to some possible conclusions on things featured in the game:

-The golem in the trailer cinematic bears an uncanny resemblance to the La Bocca della Verità AKA The Mouth of Truth, a discus depicting an old man supposedly of Roman origin. Legend characterizes it as a lie detector; if you hold your hand into the mouth and tell a lie, it will be bitten off. Whether elements of this myth are alluded to in the story remains to be seen.
-Katanas, naginatas, and maces might be new weapon types, speculated to be the stylistic choice of the Japan-motiffed factions' swords, lances, and axes.
-The story might involve a two-faction conflict, as seen by the Rome-themed and Meiji/Edo-era Japan-themed characters opposing each other in numerous cinematics. It was noted that Shin Kibayashi, a notable mangaka, will handle the story. Some of his notable works include Bloody Monday and Psycho Busters, which feature themes such as political intrigue and supernatural happenings.
-The dancer girl's role is currently unknown. One scene shows her being choked by a dragon, which later becomes a projection of what appears to be herself. If she's a main character, it's been speculated that this could hint to a possible "Dancer Lord" class.
-Bows now receive a -1 WTA (Weapons Triangle Advantage) if 1 space away from melee units, as seen in the first gameplay scene. It can be assumed this is the inverse for bow-wielding units to get a +1 WTA if 2 spaces away from melee units.
-There's evidence for a My Unit character. The grey-haired swordwielding girl (not the myrmidon) in the first gameplay scene and the grey-haired prince in the fourth gameplay scene bare a striking resemblance to each other. Translations of the fourth scene's dialogue reveal this character to be a prince(ss), hinting that the MU will be tied into the game's plot like Awakening's.
-The Ganz character in the fourth scene has been suggested to have an evil appearance and traits. Yet they have the green ally health bar in that mission. This could mean that there might be betrayal in the story or there could be a mission objective where enemy factions fight another enemy faction instead of yours, possibly turning hostile later in the mission.
-The paired-up unit in the seventh scene might be a Halberdier, while the enemy unit appears to be of a class that solely uses lances.
-Ice magic has been spotted; in the eighth scene, the mage character uses what appears to be a fan to cast an ice spell. Whether this will be counted under the Wind element like previous installments remains to be seen.
-Monster units have been spotted; in the ninth scene, Marx/Marcus is scene defeating a black ogre-like creature.
-THE MODELS HAVE FEET OMFG YES!!!!!!

My personal hopes for this game from Awakening:

-Make S support levels across both sexes, with the opposite being marriage. Less waifu pandering when handling this; make the characters actually show affection and mutual understanding for each other instead of turning it into some cheesy dating sim.
-Tone down the anime character archetypes and fetishism on the female cast unless it's appropriate to their character. Make most, if not, all the cast nuanced and have at least 2 degrees of development, 3 for main characters.
-With an accomplished writer on board, the story should go back to the grey morality of previous entries, unlike Awakening's blatantly-overt and black-and-white morality where there's little room for plot twists or alternative character developments.
-Include more terrain and strategic diversity in most of the game maps. Awakening had little of this by having a lot of open field areas with clusters of units distributed either evenly or messily. This also means giving more mission objectives or sub-objectives around these, such as defending a structure from a seige or having to kill a decisive target.
-Actually have moments in the story where you can shift the events of the story, adding a neat layer of replay value. Awakening handled this poorly with its false moral choices. Additionally, the Japanese subtitle, if, might hint to the increased affect player actions have on the story. Might also hint at a possible Shin Megami Tensei-style narrative (e.g., Shin Megami Tensei if...) where the player's moral actions affect the plot progression and final boss.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom