• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Man, the Ismaire death scene in Chapter 14 was a lot more emotional as a result of having drafted Joshua and him handling most of the castle on his own.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Chapter 13: defend chapter, had to wait till turn 6 to finish it cause I needed to kill cormag to get the promotion item for Tana. Saleh and Garcia destroy the front line on their own. On a side note, I hate wyvern knights for making falcoknights complete garbage in this game.

Chapter 14: Blah I hate swordmaster bosses, dodge too well and crit as well... I played it safe and used a bow on Garcia to kill him slowly but garcia kept missing -_-;; Amelia is pretty much ready to promote but gonna let her get more levels in the desert map.. 22 turns due to missing too much on the boss.

chapter 15: standard rout map. Tana kills both bosses, Ephraim hits level 20 and is amazing now Amelia is 19 and 98 exp -_- 13 turns

I'm so sad Ephraim's promoted class has such bad caps ;_;

Here is Amelia at 20/1 Forgot to snap before promoting

on another note, can I use Colm to get desert items? I want that body ring and warp staff...

GAH I NEED TO REMEMBER NOT TO POST -_- (edits as I play)

Last edited:
You can use any character to get the desert items. You simply have to be a bit lucky. I had Vanessa get the Warp staff for trying to attack the boss despite me having Rennac pretty much right behind them.

But, non-drafted units are not allowed to do anything other than recruit the units you drafted. Which should include meatshielding, trading, rescusing, etc.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea, so thats why I think you should help peepz out by taking out random chance. If a person can protect Colm through the map, should be good enough to let a person get the hidden treasure using him to be more consistent than resetting till you get the items while maintaining a low turn count :/ just too much rng otherwise

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I guess with the higher internal level cap, grinding units on Hard mode in Awakening is a lot easier than Normal mode. By this time on Normal I had to resort to Paragon several times just to get levels on the EXP DLC map... I guess Lunatic is even easier, since the internal level cap is supposed to be the highest.

It's nice having some forgiveness. Like, I kinda messed up and made Gaius an Assassin first instead of a Fighter for Sol, so I had to go Thief > Assassin > Fighter > Hero > Assassin

Or, like for Yarne (the first kid I recruited, since his parents didn't require much grinding at all), because I decided to fight the red and the green armies, I kept having to restart the mission to find a way to make everyone survive the extreme onslaught. I kept second sealing him to a Barbarian, because I knew I wanted him to be a Berserker, but I forgot that I needed Vantage from Myrmidon! So I ended up going Taguel > Barbarian > Myrmidon > Barbarian > Berserker, ha ha.

And on the subject of Yarne's recruitment chapter: I LOVE THAT MISSION. Seriously, 46 promoted enemy units all converging on you at once? It was glorious. Such a challenge. RNG saved my butt many times on the final try, which was cool, since I got RNG screwed so many times before then. This was by far the best challenge I've had on Hard mode since the very early chapters.

Now, Nah's chapter... that looks even harder, TBH. I wanted to recruit Nah right after Yarne, but wow... I decided to hold off until I get a few more kid missions completed. Every enemy has forged weapons and high stats... looks intimidating.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I feel like my trying to get good at speed-running Awakening really took the fun exploratory side of the game away from me.
I should really do another run for fun...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
YoOoOo

Just bought FE9 JPN on eBay. Maniac Mode [Heart)
It's been a long time since I heard anyone talk about FE9 Maniac Mode. I've forgotten pretty much all the details about it... Other than it's pretty difficult.

@xLemmy_KoopaX
@ Aninymouse Aninymouse
@ E Elyssa Xey Hexen
@Oz
@ Ussi Ussi

Now, we have a total of 5 people who expressed interest in doing an FE13 draft. After some study and learning about the mistakes last time I present this ruleset:

Drafting
-5 Person Draft
-Chrom, Avatar are free for all to use.
-Played on Hard Mode Classic.
-The last round of drafting is reversed.

Rules
-Undrafted units are not to engage in combat, visit villages, trade with drafted units, heal or support drafted units, pair-up with drafted units, or anything else with drafted units.
-Undrafted may be allowed to do whatever the hell they want amongst themselves such as trading, pairing-up, etc.
-Undrafted units should not be deployed except when forced deployed on a map.
-NPCs do as NPCs does.
-Paralogues are optional (but count towards turn count if you care about that kind of thing)
-Challenge battles are banned. You may have undrafted units clear a challenge battle to shop, though any items obtained must be discarded/cannot be used or sold.
-Map shopping is allowed, excluding items sold from Anna Merchant shops.
-Mothers are drafted with their children, but are drafted at the same time as the rest of the units. Except for Morgan who is a draftable unit.
-Use of items obtained from event tiles, the barracks and renown items is not allowed.
-Use of DLC and Spotpass (including Free Content) should not be used.
-Forging has a free pass as well for all to use.
-No second seal restrictions.

Please tell me explicitly that you still want in on this draft or any rule amendments to suggest.

Please and thank you!

-----

@ NickRiddle NickRiddle
First time I have seen you in a long time.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think random items obtained from event tiles should be allowed. For one thing, I don't want to have to keep a written log to make sure I sell off the correct item after, say, a long and arduous battle (I probably massacred that word, but I have no spell check on my phone).

Other than that, it looks great! Seems like a fun challenge. Maybe I'll even post a few pictures of my progress!

How do we determine the order of picks? And why was Olivia determined to be a standard unit?

I would think that saying they have no restrictions means they have no rule restrictions and therefore are free to use lol

But, to be more direct to your question my answer is:

I think random items obtained from event tiles should be allowed. For one thing, I don't want to have to keep a written log to make sure I sell off the correct item after, say, a long and arduous battle (I probably massacred that word, but I have no spell check on my phone).

Other than that, it looks great! Seems like a fun challenge. Maybe I'll even post a few pictures of my progress!

How do we determine the order of picks? And why was Olivia determined to be a standard unit?
IMO
Event tile items are pretty straightforward to realize that it is not something you would have gotten from a boss drop or chest in the regular chapters we play.
http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/treasure.html

If you look at that list most items are named weapons which I think is clear you should be using it or selling it lol

I am going to do what we did on the FE8 draft pick and randomize the list of names using random.org

Plus, Olivia is an artifact from low turn count attempts. I mean I believe drafting originated as a way to mix up LTC. It just happens to work well for fun play as well. Speaking of which this should mean that Oliva's kid is draftable for all. Morgan is a different enough unit (imo) to warrant being draftable. Plus, having two Avatar's on everyone's team I think trivializes the game.

Last edited:
Inigo draft unit like Morgan? Also forced units are usable still yea?
Undrafted/Drafted units section addresses that about forced units. It pretty much means you cannot use undrafted forced units for anything to do with the chapter. If you do not get Lissa in prologue, then she cannot be used to heal or anything since you did not draft her. I just mentioned in my edit about Inigo being free for all since he is not quite as OP as Morgan and everyone already gets Lucina, Avatar, and Chrom which are good units on there own. The alternative would be to just not allow Olivia to be free for all to use which I am fine with.
No room for one more? FE13 has a lot of characters...
With the layout we have now some child chapters are pretty much impossible to complete mid-game when they first become available since you would not have enough experience from the main chapters to complete them. IMO this restricts the number of characters we have.

I do not see why not. But, I should not say anyone else after your induction Reizilla.

@ Ussi Ussi :
lol Instead of 6 people we just get a replacement. Anyway, welcome Reizilla to the draft pack lol

Why the hell are you giving Fred, Olivia AND Lucina to everyone?
Much of the rules was crossed against recent serenesforest draft rules. Those should focus more on LTC attempts and Fredrick and Olivia to me make sense for all to use otherwise Fredrick can be like a seth unit and be a bit OP turn wise early on. However, Fredrick IMO is not OP in awakening. Certainly not in hard mode either. Olivia helps with LTC strats that cannot be duplicated by anyone. To me, I believe its most fair for dancer to be allowed by all for equal access to strats. Techincally, most drafts you see in even other games like FE8/7 allow the dancer to be free for all to use. No idea why Lucina is allowable.

If we were doing a lunatic run, then hell yes Fredrick is free for all to use and no questions asked.

-------

@xLemmy_KoopaX
@ Aninymouse Aninymouse
@ E Elyssa Xey Hexen
@Oz
@ Reizilla Reizilla

Since the free for all units to play seems the most contested so far would doing this be fine?
Avatar, Chrom free for all to use and the rest are draftable?

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
@ Ussi Ussi :
lol Instead of 6 people we just get a replacement. Anyway, welcome Reizilla to the draft pack lol

Much of the rules was crossed against recent serenesforest draft rules. Those should focus more on LTC attempts and Fredrick and Olivia to me make sense for all to use otherwise Fredrick can be like a seth unit and be a bit OP turn wise early on. However, Fredrick IMO is not OP in awakening. Certainly not in hard mode either. Olivia helps with LTC strats that cannot be duplicated by anyone. To me, I believe its most fair for dancer to be allowed by all for equal access to strats. Techincally, most drafts you see in even other games like FE8/7 allow the dancer to be free for all to use. No idea why Lucina is allowable.

If we were doing a lunatic run, then hell yes Fredrick is free for all to use and no questions asked.

-------

@xLemmy_KoopaX
@ Aninymouse Aninymouse
@ E Elyssa Xey Hexen
@Oz
@ Reizilla Reizilla

Since the free for all units to play seems the most contested so far would doing this be fine?
Avatar, Chrom free for all to use and the rest are draftable?
Yeah, I think since you can likely clear the entire game with just Chrom/Avatar together, those two alone should be sufficient for Hard mode. Yes, chapter 2 and 3 and a few others would be hell if you didn't get any other early characters, but it can be done, I'd wager.

EDIT: I just realized that anyone trying to pick Donnel is in for an incredibly hard road, with no grinding allowed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think since you can likely clear the entire game with just Chrom/Avatar together, those two alone should be sufficient for Hard mode. Yes, chapter 2 and 3 and a few others would be hell if you didn't get any other early characters, but it can be done, I'd wager.
Well, I explained this earlier, but on Lunatic a water walk strat prologue with +Hp/Def Avatar is pretty much fredrick's replacement by chapter 1 with Fredrick as a pair-up.

But, I'll adjust the thingy for this switch.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, I explained this earlier, but on Lunatic a water walk strat prologue with +Hp/Def Avatar is pretty much fredrick's replacement by chapter 1 with Fredrick as a pair-up.

But, I'll adjust the thingy for this switch.
I'm aware of the existance of said strategy, but I've never done it, myself. I'm not sure it'd be necessary for hard mode, or even how to do it exactly, but I could look it up on YouTube later.

Ah, you said Ava/Chr should be enough for Hard Mode and I said that example saying I completely agree. If they can do it in Lunatic they can do it in Hard mode easily :D

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If these are LTC drafts, fine, but I'd think you should survey your players to see if they give a **** or not. Because if you're just trying to clear the game, Fred still totally trivializes early game on Hard. Otherwise, I really only think the free units should be Avatar/Chrom/Morgan.

Awakening isn't that hard mid to late game anyway.

Time for my post-Ch.16 FE8 check-in:

Eirika: 2 Energy Rings, 1 Angelic Robe

Ahead: Def (+1.3), Res (+2.3)
Behind: Str (-2.6), Hp (-2.3)
Average: Skill (+0.4), Speed (0), Luck (-0.4)

Natasha: 1 Angelic Robe

Ahead: Magic (+4.6), Speed (+5.4), Luck (+7.6), Def (+1.4)
Behind: Skill (-1)
Average: HP (0), Res (-0.2)

Colm: Swiftsoles.

Ahead: HP (+2.25), Str (+1.4), Skill (+5.4)
Behind: Def (-1.25),
Average: Speed (+0.85), Luck (+0.95), Res (-0.8)

Joshua: No Boosters (IIRC)

Ahead: Res (+1.2)
Behind: Hp (-2.2), Speed (-1.95),
Average: Str (-0.4), Skill (-0.95), Luck (+0.8), Def (+0.2),

Gerik: Dracoshield, Speedwings

Ahead: Skill (+2.2), Speed (+2.9), Luck (+2.9),
Behind: Def (-1.95), Res (-1.25)
Average: Hp (-0.3), Str (+0.35)

Ephraim: No Boosts (But I'm probably gonna have to E-Ring him D:)

Ahead: None :(
Behind: Str (-5.8) <WTF?!>, Luck (-2), Res (-2)
Average: Hp (+0.2), Skill (-0.8), Speed (+0.8), Def (-0.6)

Knoll: Metis' Tome, Body Ring, Secret Bookx2

Ahead: Def (+0.9), Res (+2.05)
Behind
Average: Hp (-0.7), Magic (+0.5), Skill (-0.4), Speed (-0.85), Luck (-0.2),

To sum it up:

Both Twins have been horrendously strength-screwed.
Natasha is just straight beast-mode right now.
Colm & Gerik are doing great, Josh is pretty average.

Knoll is painfully average despite having Metis' tome. Slightly ahead in defense, since his growth is ****garbage. (Lowest in-game, at 10.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This is why I would want no 2nd seals to make it more challenging.

Tbh i think MU should be banned as well.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
This is why I would want no 2nd seals to make it more challenging.

Tbh i think MU should be banned as well.
No second seals is fine. No MU... Not sure Chrom can manage to survive those early chapters alone... never tried it.

Edit: I mean, I feel that keeping Second Seals optional is fine. Some people will use them, some won't. Not a big deal. With next to zero grinding allowed, you won't be using them much, anyway. The exception would be for MU abuse... if you're just going to abuse MU and clear the game that way, that seems to defeat the point of the draft, right?

Maybe MU is allowed to everyone, but cannot use second seals. Other characters can use second seals at their leisure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

It's been a long time since I heard anyone talk about FE9 Maniac Mode. I've forgotten pretty much all the details about it... Other than it's pretty difficult.
I've played a bit, on emulator. Got to me Ch.17, at best. I quit each time because my computer doesn't run FE9 perfectly (FE10 runs about on par, if not BETTER lol) and you can't de-activate animations 100%. 8E The difficulty was preetty great, imo, thought.
My problem with non-JPN FE9 is that it lacks MM...HM is too easy (not to brag, or anything...). FE9 MM manages to be challenging without just throwing in a bunch of overpowered enemies and calling it a day, like FE13 Lunatic & FE11 H5 do.

-Undrafted units are not to engage in combat, visit villages, trade with drafted units
Please tell me explicitly that you still want in on this draft or any rule amendments to suggest.

Please and thank you!

Time for my post-Ch.16 FE8 check-in:

I just love how you're playing it on GBA Micro...I am also planning on getting FE7 & 8 for the actual console (I have the olde' first GBA), because it just looks THAT much fun...at least much more than emulator. I tend to prioritize FE7, it's harder to get, though...

RE; Draft:

My ONLY complaint would be against not allowing undrafted & drafted characters alike to simply trade...I think it's an option that should be allowed because it's rather simple and doesn't exactly affect character battles unless they're next to each other when an enemy attacks.

Also,are Federick & Olivia draftable like the rest?

Otherwise, I don't really mind if you keep things as they are and how you want them. Will play. (:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
RE; Draft:

My ONLY complaint would be against not allowing undrafted & drafted characters alike to simply trade...I think it's an option that should be allowed because it's rather simple and doesn't exactly affect character battles unless they're next to each other when an enemy attacks.

Also,are Federick & Olivia draftable like the rest?

Otherwise, I don't really mind if you keep things as they are and how you want them. Will play. (:
As far as I know, Olivia & Fred are draftable now.

I disagree on the trade thing. I don't think undrafted units should be able to trade in-battle, no. In between missions, there's no reason you can't strip them of their equipment and use it, though.

Edited my above post with thoughts on second seals and MU.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, that was great.

Was up to Fomortis. He put half my team to sleep with Nightmare, then Ephraim got hit by a Dracozombie on a 60, followed by a 20% Shadowshot to kill him. :(

Top Bottom