• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Character General Support Thread [WIP]

What is the best Fire Emblem game for someone new to the series?

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem/Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

• Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

• Fire Emblem Awakening

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Fire Emblem Fates

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem Heroes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Azura (Fire Emblem)
Caeda (Fire Emblem)
Camilla (Fire Emblem)
Celica (Fire Emblem)
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Henry (Fire Emblem)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
Tiki (Fire Emblem)
Tsubasa Oribe (#FE)
Veronica (Fire Emblem Heroes)
White Wings (Fire Emblem)
These are all the Fire Emblem characters I support. :)

MagnoliaMidna

Smash Rookie
I'd really love to see Azura join. I know it's probably too late for her, now that Three Houses is coming out and they're moving on from Fates. Still, I adore her character and think she'd be a unique fighter, using her singing, dancing, and water bending skills in her moveset. Plus it'd just be cool to have a FE character that doesn't use a sword (not that it bothers me TOO much, but they definitely need to be more creative and represent the other classes)
The amount of Fire Emblem characters has never bothered me either, it's just the fact they ignore a lot of interesting characters and go for the basic promotional characters that use swords. I LOVE playing as Corrin (he's one of my mains) but I do wish sometimes Azura was chosen over him.
Among other characters I really want to see, I would love to see Celica and Alm. Caeda would be cool, too. And if it were possible, I'd want to see either Alfonse, Eir, or Fjorm from Heroes, in that order.
Though it'll never probably happen either, I'd also like to see Leif, Seliph, Sigurd, and/or Eirika. I don't know much about these characters but if they're the main protagonists of their games (as far as I know they are, I'm a new to this series), then it'd be cool to represent them somehow.
Finally, I support Lyn and Micaiah too, not necessarily because I know much about them or really want them, but I know of some people who want them in the games more than anything and heck - people like that deserve their favorites in Smash Bros, as long as they are reasonable (and they are)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Time to set up a farm of bots to spam votes for Forrest so he wins everything
Is a staunch hater of Fates, and uses Forrest as one of many examples as to why.

...Yet I'm not even mad. As much as I loathe. Despite. Yearn to see the destruction and erasure of am disinterested in Forrest...I could see it work by Forrest's personality alone...because most Fire Emblem characters people like are Stoic or Reserved in some way (Which is why I like Lord Punches-Babies-Who-Look-At-Him-Funny AKA Hector of Ostia) or they're...well, in Fates. I do not like Fates. But at least Forrest, while polite, is not a boring, stoic/reserved, toe-standing blue haired lordy boi or girl. Plus, they can give him feminine animations like they did in Fates, and that amuses me for the people who don't know that he's a boy.

Lyn? Stoic swordswoman with an eastern flair.
Azura? Reserved and oooh mysterious. Also water stuff.
Ephraim? Kind of Stoic, but the type who'll punch you in the face.
Forrest? Polite effeminate boi in a dress.

...Also, L'Archel is best Troubadour.

-----------------------------

Man, I just can't imagine how you'd do a mounted unit (not to mention a unit whose utility purpose is team healing and support)...unless they only used their mount as their Final Smash. I suppose this is why I think of units who start on foot (Ex. Ephraim using a mount in his Final Smash) can pull it off versus dedicated riders.

...You can't really have a horse cling to a ledge without it looking both ridiculous and unbelievable....Maybe they can mount their horse for horizontal movement and a built-in damage attack for dashing (like that spirit effect), but have to dismount or jump off in order to grab ledges? This kills the horse, of course, and your opponents can kill your horse too, but it respawns eventually...For it to be...killed. Again. Huh. Do we want really want a pile of dead horses in Smash Bros?

Man, they can't catch a break in any media, can they? Horse Movie? It dies at the end. Horse book? Dies at the end? Game with horses? They can die (Especially common in more modern games).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is a staunch hater of Fates, and uses Forrest as one of many examples as to why.

...Yet I'm not even mad. As much as I loathe. Despite. Yearn to see the destruction and erasure of am disinterested in Forrest...I could see it work by Forrest's personality alone...because most Fire Emblem characters people like are Stoic or Reserved in some way (Which is why I like Lord Punches-Babies-Who-Look-At-Him-Funny AKA Hector of Ostia) or they're...well, in Fates. I do not like Fates. But at least Forrest, while polite, is not a boring, stoic/reserved, toe-standing blue haired lordy boi or girl. Plus, they can give him feminine animations like they did in Fates, and that amuses me for the people who don't know that he's a boy.

Lyn? Stoic swordswoman with an eastern flair.
Azura? Reserved and oooh mysterious. Also water stuff.
Ephraim? Kind of Stoic, but the type who'll punch you in the face.
Forrest? Polite effeminate boi in a dress.

...Also, L'Archel is best Troubadour.

-----------------------------

Man, I just can't imagine how you'd do a mounted unit (not to mention a unit whose utility purpose is team healing and support)...unless they only used their mount as their Final Smash. I suppose this is why I think of units who start on foot (Ex. Ephraim using a mount in his Final Smash) can pull it off versus dedicated riders.

...You can't really have a horse cling to a ledge without it looking both ridiculous and unbelievable....Maybe they can mount their horse for horizontal movement and a built-in damage attack for dashing (like that spirit effect), but have to dismount or jump off in order to grab ledges? This kills the horse, of course, and your opponents can kill your horse too, but it respawns eventually...For it to be...killed. Again. Huh. Do we want really want a pile of dead horses in Smash Bros?

Man, they can't catch a break in any media, can they? Horse Movie? It dies at the end. Horse book? Dies at the end? Game with horses? They can die (Especially common in more modern games).
I don't get what's your definition of stoic but you're already on thin ****ing ice for saying you hate Forrest

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Was gone for most of the afternoon, can someone explain to me what the actual hell just went down in the GD? Someone apparently made a hate thread toward FE and permission to view it was blocked. I know I sound like a five year old by asking what happened, but......seriously? What could someone possibly say to get their own thread censored?

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Nino could be a somewhat unique mage character, and she's decently popular so I don't feel completely crazy for supporting her inclusion. She'd obviously be blazing fast (which is already unique among the mage-y type characters in Smash like Robin, Zelda, and Ness), and she could also use a stave or 2. They could do some fun stuff with the little character details too, like having her never actually open her tomes and making her gestures look shaky/unrefined. I imagine her moveset would consist of fast mid ranged magical disjoints, with some slow but explosive smash attacks that mimic the gba animations. Victory screens could reference her support conversations by having her hold up a necklace she made, admire her locket, or have her sound out Jaffar's name slowly. Her inclusion is almost certainly never going to happen, but I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

Also, "I'll do my best!" is the best taunt that isn't in the game.

Roberk

Smash Champion
If we're going to have Nino, I'd like to make her part of a standard mage/anima mage character. 90% of FE characters are archetypal, Nino doesn't have some special power/weapon that other mages don't have, so why not throw in a few alternate costume character a la Alph and the Koopalings? We've seen that alternate costumes can have wildly different assets and different voices, so I'd like to see a couple of other popular mages like Lute, Lilina, Pent, Erk, etc. I'd think pretty much every GBA mage would fit in with each other (since they use most of the same sprites and designs) and maybe even a few popular characters from other games.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If we're going to have Nino, I'd like to make her part of a standard mage/anima mage character. 90% of FE characters are archetypal, Nino doesn't have some special power/weapon that other mages don't have, so why not throw in a few alternate costume character a la Alph and the Koopalings? We've seen that alternate costumes can have wildly different assets and different voices, so I'd like to see a couple of other popular mages like Lute, Lilina, Pent, Erk, etc. I'd think pretty much every GBA mage would fit in with each other (since they use most of the same sprites and designs) and maybe even a few popular characters from other games.
Honestly, while I think it would be great to get 8 characters in at once I don't really love the idea of characters being costumes. It works for the Koopalings but that's more about who they are than anything. Yeah you could have 8 mages all doing the same moveset, but I don't think I would ever expect Pent to fight like Nino to fight like Erk. They all could sure but I think in order to make the moveset work for everyone you would risk missing out on the individual's personality. Things like what Specs64z Specs64z said about Nino not actually opening her tome or having cute victory animations would never work with Pent trying to be the same character.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Honestly, while I think it would be great to get 8 characters in at once I don't really love the idea of characters being costumes. It works for the Koopalings but that's more about who they are than anything. Yeah you could have 8 mages all doing the same moveset, but I don't think I would ever expect Pent to fight like Nino to fight like Erk. They all could sure but I think in order to make the moveset work for everyone you would risk missing out on the individual's personality. Things like what Specs64z Specs64z Specs64z Specs64z said about Nino not actually opening her tome or having cute victory animations would never work with Pent trying to be the same character.
Yeah I'd also say that they have to pick one character to make. If that character can also come with an Echo, sure, but going crazy with clones/alts will only reinforce the false idea that all FE characters are the same. Some simple palette swaps that reference other characters are fine, though, like Lucina's costumes. I think that each character that they select should be important to the series; they're not gonna get in everybody's favorite this way but hopefully almost everybody can at least have someone they like. For example, there are Shadow Dragon characters that I like better than Marth, but I still think Marth is the best representative for Archanea (I do like Marth quite a bit, though, I'll admit).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So I discovered today there was an Alm support thread that wasn't on the OP post, does anyone know of any others I don't have listed?

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Speaking of CYL, vote Micaiah!

- She's underrated
- She has only one alt
- She has a bird
- She nukes stuff with Thani bombs
- She could potentially get a costume based on Yune, Sanaki, Altina, or the Black Knight, and that'd be pretty cool

Also Micaiah would be amazing in Smash.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So I am a little surprised how the voting for the poll is going, I didn't expect Blazing Blade to be winning over Awakening and I never would have guessed Heroes would have been 3rd. Thanks everyone for participating!

Question, should we keep this poll going or should we periodically change the poll to something new?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, and despite voting for it, I'm surprised as well.

Frankly, FE7 is no longer indicative as to what a Fire Emblem game is. Ignoring my bias to writing and designs, the gameplay is substantially tighter with finite resources. Really, Awakening is the best if you want to understand what Fire Emblem is...though I guess FE7 is a good place for if you want to know what it is was (and prefer harder games).

...anyone who thinks FEH is indicative of what a Fire Emblem Game is, is...not wrong, but- also wrong. Y'know? It's got the core, and the spirit, but not so much the heart.
-----------

I say we change up the poll more regularly...perhaps something like 'best lord', though that's bound to bring up the obvious three.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Frankly, FE7 is no longer indicative as to what a Fire Emblem game is. Ignoring my bias to writing and designs, the gameplay is substantially tighter with finite resources. Really, Awakening is the best if you want to understand what Fire Emblem is...though I guess FE7 is a good place for if you want to know what it is was (and prefer harder games).
Personally, the reason I voted for Blazing Blade over Awakening was because I find it harder to go backwards in games. If you started with Awakening and tried to go back to Blazing Blade you might find that you miss some of the mechanics. So while Awakening might have a few aspects that make it slightly better to start with, Blazing Blade won by virtue of not potentially ruining your experience with half the games.

...anyone who thinks FEH is indicative of what a Fire Emblem Game is, is...not wrong, but- also wrong. Y'know? It's got the core, and the spirit, but not so much the heart.
I voted for Heroes because one way to look at it is as a free demo. You get a taste to see if you like it with out having to commit much to it. The other advantage there is that you get introduced to characters from every game, so if you find a character you really like you can then just decide to go play their game.

I say we change up the poll more regularly...perhaps something like 'best lord', though that's bound to bring up the obvious three.
lol I started with this question because I thought it would be the least controversial question I could ask, so I guess it makes sense that we just jump right into the good stuff with best lord/mage/game/waifu questions.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Heroes was my introduction to FE
And there is nothing wrong with that. Heroes is indicative to how a Fire Emblem Game is played at it's uttermost basic, so it can be seen as a demo the way shocktarts17 shocktarts17 said, but it is missing a lot of the core embellishments of a Fire Emblem title (This would be the part where I remark on it's poor characters...but that's not a fault of Heroes, and its original cast are actually quite interesting, especially when compared to FE:W's.).

This is also why I think FE7, despite my heavy bias for it, is also not the best start for a newcomer to the series...and is arguably worse at this role than Heroes:

- Supports, which are now a massive thing, were finite in FE7. Not to mention the writing style is different than in something like Awakening.
- Weapon Durability? Both a thing and you dealt with finite weapons.
- Money? Finite. Affects the above. Arenas are a heavy risk-reward gamble that can ruin a playthrough if you're not resetting like a coward AKA like me.
- Leveling? Finite, and also less forgiving. Arenas are a heavy risk-reward gamble that can ruin a playthrough if you're not resetting like a coward AKA like me.
- Characters? Obviously Finite, but you're going to use less and less of them because of the above factors.

This is all in comparison to Heroes, where Weapon durability is non-existent, leveling is streamlined and more forgiving, supports are- well, non-existent in the narrative sense, and money is-

Ooof. You know what money is in FEH. But, in general, FEH is way more accessible to newcomers, and would be where I would recommend a newcomer to the most if I wanted to just show them what it was like in the immediate moment. But, for an actual FE Main Game? I'd go with Awakening...even if that FE7 part of me would die on the inside.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay so starting next week I will change the front page poll at the start of each week (Monday morning) and will post the results of the last one in the first post. I have a few ideas for different poll questions but if anyone has some suggestions between now and Monday I'm all ears.

D

Deleted member

Regarding the poll, objectively, I find Awakening to be the best for newcomers. Presentation is tighter, you can ease yourself into perma-death by first trying out casual mode, it does a decent job teaching you of what you need to know of basic mechanics. There are some areas I think it fails in design, though. Normal mode is pathetically easy with pair-ups while hard mode actually starts to require strategy that the game never teaches you. Same turn reinforcements is just a horrible idea when they can fly and easily dog pile your tanks. Map design is heavily reliant on throwing tough enemies at you, which encourages grinding, which encourages less strategy.

FE 7 rectifies anything I had wrong with Awakening. Houses give you neat tips on mechanics and strategies. Grinding is less an option. Taking advantage of map design is key to success. Resource management is an actual thing to think about now that grinding is less of an option. There is a literal tutorial section dedicated to just teaching you the game while providing a nice little story for Lyn. (Plus I like the story and writing more as I find it more immersive and less silly than Awakening's.) I think the only thing against FE 7 when compared to Awakening is presentation and convenience. Those are just naturally better in nowadays. Otherwise, I find FE 7 to be the tighter game. If Awakening introduced me to the series, FE 7 is what made me love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Amen on that one, though I would recommend newcomers coming off of Awakening to instead try FE8 before easing them into other games in the series.

Now, not to get a reputation of being the guy who hates everything that people like (though I doubt anyone likes peri so I'm safe there at least), but I do not like Sacred Stones. I don't hate It, mind you: It has a great story and includes some of my favorite villains (Orson and Valter) and player characters (Duessel, Gerik, and-honestly, everyone in general). I'd go as far as to call it my second favorite FE game..but mechanically speaking, it is similar to Awakening.

The ease of resource generation makes the game feel easier than it should, even if you step over all the options the game throws at your feet. But, ignoring my bias towards linear Fire Emblems, it still provides more of a challenge than Awakening with a much better cast of characters (though I like a lot of Awakening' s cast...even tharja, before she was devolved into being a creepy DISSERVICE Fanservice mascot.)

...man, Lyon would be kind of cool as a character, but he doesn't have that exciting of a personality. You'd need to mix his calmness with the brutality of Formantiis I think.

EDIT: Typed this on mobile, it auto corrected fanservice to disservice and this amuses.

EDIT2: FEH results came in, the winners are:

1. Micaiah
2. Camilla

1. Alm
2. Eliwood

...Alm and Camilla are unsurprising, positively and negatively to me respectively, but it's great to see Micaiah and Eliwood get some love...part of me hopes they will make Eliwood his 32-ish year old self from FE6.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So apparently I don't know how to change the poll lol

I set a timer for it and I'll see if it lets me change it tomorrow.

For the time being, discuss the question!

Who is your favorite Fire Emblem Smash fighter?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
It’s always been Ike. In brawl (before I knew competitive smash was even a thing), I liked how explosive his sound effects were and how strong his fsmash was.

By the time smash 4 rolled around, I’d become an old school fire emblem fan (I’ve played Blazing Blade-Shadow Dragon and Echoes), and I liked Ike more as a character. I still enjoyed his hard hitting playstyle, even though he wasn’t an amazing character.

Now that he’s finally really good in Ultimate, he is far and away my favorite. His range, power, and combo game are so much fun.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Insert picture of Dwight D. Eisenhower here

Honestly, I just like that Ike beats things with a big pointy metal stick. I'm a simple man.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Insert picture of Dwight D. Eisenhower here

Honestly, I just like that Ike beats things with a big pointy metal stick. I'm a simple man.
In a world of prissy blue-blooded nobles, Ike is a battle hobo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Old Hector and Old Eliwood are indeed long overdue. Also, Ike is my favorite Fire Emblem character and this is due to playing his actual games. I supported him getting into Brawl, and he's been a solid secondary character for me since. I am currently playing Awakening however, and it's also real good fun. Chrom is a goofball but a lovable character, don't get why he gets **** on so badly. I also really liked the GBA games, even FE6 featuring Roy the Boi. Shadows of Valentia was also greatly done, and I think Alm is also definitely on my Top 5 of favorite Lords.

I still hope IS is gonna make more Echoes-styled remakes. Three Houses is taking long, we haven't really seen much from it yet, but it's due for Spring release which I find somewhat strange.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Marth, easily.

Marth is the FE protagonist I enjoyed the most, and Shadow Dragon's also the FE game I enjoyed the most.

Marth is my second most-used character after Ness.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
You need to get one of the mods for this section (so, not me), they can delete the poll so you can add a new one.
Hmm that sounds like a pain, I don't want to make them mess with our thread every week. I wish there was an easier way lol.

Okay I'll just reopen the poll and we can just have weekly discussions lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Chrom for me, followed by Marth. Not only are they two of my three favorite lords (and two of my five favorite characters in general) in the Fire Emblem series, but I absolutely love the way they play in Smash.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Marth/Lucina > Chrom > Roy > Robin > Corrin > Ike

I've played Marth ever since Melee, and Lucina is basically the same, so they're way out in front for me. Chrom and Roy are similar enough that I'd rank them up there too, but Chrom just about edges it (still mourning the loss of the Chromicide, though). The others are cool too, but I suck with them. :p

D

Deleted member

Ike is weirdly my best FE character now after being the only one I couldn't play in Smash 4. Marcina and Robin follow him with Corrin after them and Chroy at dead last because they just feel too heavy for me.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I guess I should put my own.

For me Ike has been just about my favorite Fire Emblem character since PoR came out, so I was thrilled for him to be in Smash and he was my best pretty much right away since I always preferred heavy fighters anyway. That said when I played Awakening I really enjoyed the idea of my avatar being the tactician and thought he was really cool, so when Robin got added I got all geared up to add him to my mains. However, I was really bad with him lol. Now with ultimate I'm finding it much harder to find success with Ike and I'm doing really well with Robin so the order has switched (switched on the Switch :laugh:).

So for Ultimate my order goes Robin > Ike > Corrin > Chrom > Lucina > Marth > Roy.

EDIT: Can't believe I actually forgot Corrin...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me, I think my preference is :

Ike >> Lucina >> Chrom > Roy > Marth > Corrin / Robin (I suck with both honestly)

D

Deleted member

For fun it's Robin. For practicality, it's Ike.

Robin's projectile game is obnoxious. The thunders and arcfire present a barrier to get past and his recovery usually never runs out, and if it does, it's charging up nicely. If you do make it close to him, his levin sword will brush you off the stage like a mop. He also makes me think on my feet because sometimes I just don't have the projectile or sword I need. Weapon durability really made for a compelling mechanic. When he's bad, he's a liability. But when he's good, he's great. Ever play eight-player Smash and go Robin? The site of having your thoron clear the stage is amazing. You can also throw his worn out tools and it makes for an unexpected kill move. I have to practice with that before I can consider Robin a stable pick.

Ike is just good. His speed is better now, his up-air has so much reach, his down-tilt comes out fast, his neutral-air creates a bubble around him, and his power is through the roof. Having two recoveries make up for his **** up-b and being heavy means it'll take some time to KO him. Once the Ike train rolls, it rolls. If I just want to beat the **** out of you, I'm going Ike (or Ganondorf). There was nothing more satisfying in Brawl than landing a good smash attack.

I should practice Lucina more because she gets rid of the dumb tip mechanic, which means I just have to worry about hitting my opponent. From what I hear, she's plenty viable. She also looks way better in Ultimate than she does in Smash 4, so better visual appeal draws me more to her. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
To answer the new question for me it goes like this...

Chrom>Lucina>Corrin>Marth>Robin>Roy>Ike

Chrom is my favorite of the bunch and one of my favorite Lords in Fire Emblem. Still kind of iffy about him technically being another Marth clones but I still have the most fun to playing as him in Smash. After that is Lucina who is my second most played as FE character if only because I'm not really good at using Marth's tipper otherwise Marth would have been my number 2.

Corrin is not as overpowered as they were in Smash 4 but I still play as them every once in a while. I tried again to play as Robin but their moveset just doesn't match my playstyle. Haven't played as Roy and Ike but those two were never interesting to me.

Top Bottom