• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Character General Support Thread [WIP]

What is the best Fire Emblem game for someone new to the series?

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem/Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

• Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

• Fire Emblem Awakening

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Fire Emblem Fates

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem Heroes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmm yep maybe I should have checked that before I ran my mouth in the Edelgard thread, I'll get that fixed right away.

Not sure how I didn't have her from the start...
Ah Ok :)

She's an axe-wielder so I think she can be a pretty good pick to make it in.
I don't think sword users have to be completely off the table, but I do think it's about time for something more different. Would still take Lyn tho, probably :)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Ah Ok :)

She's an axe-wielder so I think she can be a pretty good pick to make it in.
I don't think sword users have to be completely off the table, but I do think it's about time for something more different. Would still take Lyn tho, probably :)
Honestly while I really like her design I feel like I'd like to see a little more of her before I really go all in on supporting her. The potential of an axe wielding magic user sounds good, and her design appears to avoid the "waifu-bait" that Fire Emblem is starting to become known for so she has a lot of potential. I just think I want to see her personality before I commit fully.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly while I really like her design I feel like I'd like to see a little more of her before I really go all in on supporting her. The potential of an axe wielding magic user sounds good, and her design appears to avoid the "waifu-bait" that Fire Emblem is starting to become known for so she has a lot of potential. I just think I want to see her personality before I commit fully.
I trust nintendo to make her interesting enough :)
If they time it right we'll see more of her,enough before she'd come to smash.
But yeah, axe + magic would be awesome. But of course, there's plenty of FE chracters to root for regardless.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I trust nintendo to make her interesting enough :)
If they time it right we'll see more of her,enough before she comes to smash.
But yeah, axe + magic would be awesome. But of course, there's plenty of FE chracters to root for regardless.
I want to trust IS but it's not like some of their characters haven't been pushed for their...assets with their personality being secondary.

That's of course not to say you can't make a fan service character interesting, Camilla has a pretty tragic back story that actually explains her personality pretty well, but its still feels more like an after thought when her cut scenes have her walking seductively towards her adopted brother/sister.

But again, Edelgard so far doesn't appear to be that kind of character so I remain hopeful.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want to trust IS but it's not like some of their characters haven't been pushed for their...assets with their personality being secondary.

That's of course not to say you can't make a fan service character interesting, Camilla has a pretty tragic back story that actually explains her personality pretty well, but its still feels more like an after thought when her cut scenes have her walking seductively towards her adopted brother/sister.

But again, Edelgard so far doesn't appear to be that kind of character so I remain hopeful.
Sure. and the game looked epic enough from the trailer. I can see it being a hit, tho the name of the game could feel a bit more grand.
I tend to look more at the design than the personality tho. But of course it matters a lot too.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
her design appears to avoid the "waifu-bait" that Fire Emblem is starting to become known for
Don't speak to soon

watch them put her on the next FEH summer banner, since Three Houses may be out by then

and yeah, Edelgard could end up being a good character for Smash, but I couldn't really say that with any certainty when I don't know how I feel about her personality or her game

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Edelgard has a really cool design and, from a unit perspective, magic+axes+swords is a neat combination that has only been done one other time in the series (Awakening's take on Dread Fighters), so that's neat.

Hoping she's well-written at least.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Don't speak to soon

watch them put her on the next FEH summer banner, since Three Houses may be out by then

and yeah, Edelgard could end up being a good character for Smash, but I couldn't really say that with any certainty when I don't know how I feel about her personality or her game
Ehh while FEH is by far the worst offender of "waifu-bait", I don't think I will hold it against Edelgard if the only way she is "waifu'ed" is in a FEH summer banner. No one talks about Tana or Innes when they mention the summer banners because their personalities are developed in their games and them being in swimsuits is just a one time thing. As long as Edelgard is shown to have a developed personality then what happens in FEH beyond that won't change my opinion of her.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ehh while FEH is by far the worst offender of "waifu-bait", I don't think I will hold it against Edelgard if the only way she is "waifu'ed" is in a FEH summer banner. No one talks about Tana or Innes when they mention the summer banners because their personalities are developed in their games and them being in swimsuits is just a one time thing. As long as Edelgard is shown to have a developed personality then what happens in FEH beyond that won't change my opinion of her.
I mean, it was more of a joke than a serious comment, but yeah, FEH is just a spin-off.

I still think Tana is a nice character, for example

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Hey, so... am I the only one who feels like making BK an Ike echo would be a complete disservice to the character? Like Dark Samus was downgraded so much when she became a playable character.

Here's my take on an unique BK: keep the character 1:1 to his assist trophy. He can't run but he can still double-jump, air-dodge, and has super armor all the time. And if you're worried that fast characters like Fox or Samus can easily outrun him and inflict chip damage to him by spamming projectiles, well, just give him the Alondite's big-ass shockwave (which Ike should also have) so he can repel it all. Just make sure that move has some non-negligible starting or end lag so he can't overuse it. His up-B would be his teleportation powder and work just like Mewrwo's up-B. Side-B is the same as Ike, so he still has two nice recovery options in spite of his limited movement on the ground. And down-B is a counter

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hey, so... am I the only one who feels like making BK an Ike echo would be a complete disservice to the character? Like Dark Samus was downgraded so much when she became a playable character.

Here's my take on an unique BK: keep the character 1:1 to his assist trophy. He can't run but he can still double-jump, air-dodge, and has super armor all the time. And if you're worried that fast characters like Fox or Samus can easily outrun him and inflict chip damage to him by spamming projectiles, well, just give him the Alondite's big-*** shockwave (which Ike should also have) so he can repel it all. Just make sure that move has some non-negligible starting or end lag so he can't overuse it. His up-B would be his teleportation powder and work just like Mewrwo's up-B. Side-B is the same as Ike, so he still has two nice recovery options in spite of his limited movement on the ground. And down-B is a counter
I mean you're more or less describing a semi-clone, which I think would be the best representation for Black Knight. They had the same sword fighting teacher and fight using swords that are both from the same set, they should have a decent amount of similarity in their fighting. I agree that warp powder and a shockwave would make good specials but even then the rest of his attacks would probably be similar to Ikes in the way he wields his sword.
That said, as cool as BK is I don't think he has a chance to get in as anything but an echo since Fire Emblem already has several reps and he comes from an older game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That said, as cool as BK is I don't think he has a chance to get in as anything but an echo since Fire Emblem already has several reps and he comes from an older game.
That, and just about anyone that isn't a Lord and/or main character is completely skipped over. It's gotten to the point of absurdity when even recurrers like Anna haven't been considered.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
That, and just about anyone that isn't a Lord and/or main character is completely skipped over. It's gotten to the point of absurdity when even recurrers like Anna haven't been considered.
Idk I'd argue that while Lucina is a central character in Awakening, she isn't a main character/lord like the others. And the problem is that Fire Emblem has a ton of main character/lords, so then if you start putting in secondary characters over main characters it could feel weird. Just look at the reaction when Robin and Lucina got in over Chrom. While Anna might be a unique situation where that wouldn't really apply, if say Camilla got in over Corrin I think a lot of people wouldn't be very happy about that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Idk I'd argue that while Lucina is a central character in Awakening, she isn't a main character/lord like the others. And the problem is that Fire Emblem has a ton of main character/lords, so then if you start putting in secondary characters over main characters it could feel weird. Just look at the reaction when Robin and Lucina got in over Chrom. While Anna might be a unique situation where that wouldn't really apply, if say Camilla got in over Corrin I think a lot of people wouldn't be very happy about that.
Yeah. And even some main chars aren't guaranteed to get in no matter what (see Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones).

I honestly wonder if IS has become subconsciously aware of Sakurai's picks from FE barely having variety and started to change things up a little from Fates onwards (:ultcorrinf:outright turns into a freaking dragon, and now there's Edelgard, the most viable Three Houses pick, who can use both swords and axes, though I'm not sure if she is a "main" character).

People still aren't happy with FE inclusions mainly using swords, and that has caused problems for character variety there. So really, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
In the case of Anna, she hasn't really had a major role on par with a main character's which is part of why she hasn't made it. She is decently popular and can use a variety of weapons, but I feel like we still have a few more of the main characters that would get in before her (namely Lyn and possibly Ephraim or Sigurd if they can make the mount work somehow).

With side characters, the corresponding main character already being in the game is kinda a soft prerequisite. It's hard to justify Caeda or Tiki over Marth, and it's hard to justify Black Knight without Ike. At least most of the most popular FE characters are main characters so it kind of works out for the most part, though.

I do, however, give Leif a special mention; the poor dude is overshadowed by a non-playable enemy within his own game. Add in the fact that Binding Blade was made just early enough for Roy to make it into Melee, and just like that Leif is sent to the depths of obscurity. He even got the short end of the stick in Heroes compared to the rest of the sword protagonists (I was really surprised he didn't have Distant Counter on his weapon, but no that would make too much sense compared to the other stuff they give DC). And Leif can be a really interesting character with his special weapon.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
For a FE remake, it'd be nice for them to remake one that wasn't localized, like FE4-6. In fact, they seem to be going pretty much in order and it would probably be sensible to keep that going.

Of course, if they wanna do FE7, that would also be really nice. And hopefully they'd time it just right so that Lyn can sneak into the project plan ;)

And yeah, I'm way more interested in hearing the non-Smash news right now. TH has been a dry well for a while in terms of new info. Plus there's a lot of potential for new games to be announced.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay I had this thought in the Three Houses thread, but I think it gets less traffic than we do so I'll put it here too.

We should do a prediction "thread" like they are doing in RTC, only just for what we will learn about Three Houses.
  • see female Byleth
  • get more insight into the story, specifically who the three houses are and tease the big bad
  • gameplay videos showing more units as well as at least one new unit
anything else I'm missing?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay I had this thought in the Three Houses thread, but I think it gets less traffic than we do so I'll put it here too.

We should do a prediction "thread" like they are doing in RTC, only just for what we will learn about Three Houses.
  • see female Byleth
  • get more insight into the story, specifically who the three houses are and tease the big bad
  • gameplay videos showing more units as well as at least one new unit
anything else I'm missing?
Here's a bingo card I made earlier today, with a mix of safe and unsafe picks.
Fire Emblem Three Houses Bingo.png

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
All this love for Edelgard but I don't see any for Dimitri or Claude :(

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I'm seeing a LOT of love for Claude actually.

Now Dimitri? No one can get over his dumb hair.
Claude is my boy. I'd love to see him in Smash.

Hey so what if he has dumb hair? Well I guess it's fair, but still...

Also we should collectively promote the hell out of Camilla, maybe that's just me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Claude is my boy. I'd love to see him in Smash.

Hey so what if he has dumb hair? Well I guess it's fair, but still...

Also we should collectively promote the hell out of Camilla, maybe that's just me.
Yeah, it's just you.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
So uh, about Lyn winning.

As it turns out, a lot of units that got really high were also the ones that were in the first screen upon picking a color. The idea that so many people didn't know/didn't bother to scroll the screen is both hilarious and sad.

So about Three Houses, I'm not expecting a character for DLC but if we do get one for some reason I'm expecting it to be Byleth after the recent Direct. Everything seems to be pointing at them being the main character, they also seem to have a prf sword and while unconfirmed, it's speculated that they have some way of manipulating or rewinding time.

I'm digging what I've seen so far regarding the game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Edelgard has a really cool design and, from a unit perspective, magic+axes+swords is a neat combination that has only been done one other time in the series (Awakening's take on Dread Fighters), so that's neat.

Hoping she's well-written at least.
What it looks like to me, is that there's potential to learn all sort of weapon types in Three Houses. I think I saw very similar choices in the menu for upgrading skills with all other characters, maybe am wrong though. Also a kind reminder that Corrin also had the potential to use either Staves or Tomes as a promoted unit, but never did. Ike never used axes either, neither do Lucina or Chrom use any sort of lance.

I think Edelgard would probably use a sword in Smash, if she where to get in. Probably her own weapon, which is more than likely a sword, seeing she's mostly based around the 'Hero' archetype of Fire Emblem.

Also, I still say that Byleth is the most likely Three Houses character. Doesn't matter which House you pick in the game, Byleth is gonna be the main character anyway. And that makes him the most logical pick. Claude, Dmitri and Edelgard seem like a more glorified version of characters as Ryoma, Xander and Azura from Fates honestly... Byleth seems most like the typical Lord / My Unit character.

D

Deleted member

Edelgard has an axe in the map gameplay, that's definitely what they want to associate her with and it makes sense considering Byleth, Dimitri and Claude wield Swords, Lances and Bows

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay sorry I didn't post a discussion question last week but I have one for this week!

What house will you be supporting in Three Houses?

D

Deleted member

Okay sorry I didn't post a discussion question last week but I have one for this week!

Currently leaning Black Eagles based on current info. I like Edelgard a bit more than Claude and I like the designs for the other students. Hoping we eventually learn what else changes in the game(if it's just your units or the plot like Fates), if it's permanent(do you eventuaply get the others ala Sacred Stones route split?) and if other units are affected(non-students who I really ****ing hope actually do exist).

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024

Blue Lions for me. Despite what people say about his hair I feel like I am one of the few who is more interested in Dimitri than Edelgard or Claude.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
I'm a big Hector fan myself and I decided to make a moveset for him. Sorry if this is a necro or whatever it would be called. I'm not acclimated to forum culture.

I think Fire Emblem could use a hearty dose of inspiration and reference in Smash Bros., and I feel like Hector would accomplish that with flying colors. The GBA games are often looked back upon for their beautiful sprite animations, and I think Hector is just about as bombastic as they get. I wasn't able to completely fill out all the attacks, as it can be hard to pick an animation out of many that is distinctly a back air or a down air. I think we're especially fine with FE character representation, but if another Fire Emblem character had to get into Smash, I would adore Hector most over anything else.

Stario

Smash Rookie
I'm a big Hector fan myself and I decided to make a moveset for him. Sorry if this is a necro or whatever it would be called. I'm not acclimated to forum culture.

I think Fire Emblem could use a hearty dose of inspiration and reference in Smash Bros., and I feel like Hector would accomplish that with flying colors. The GBA games are often looked back upon for their beautiful sprite animations, and I think Hector is just about as bombastic as they get. I wasn't able to completely fill out all the attacks, as it can be hard to pick an animation out of many that is distinctly a back air or a down air. I think we're especially fine with FE character representation, but if another Fire Emblem character had to get into Smash, I would adore Hector most over anything else.
Fantastic moveset idea. Even if Lyn got in, this would still be on the table, due to Pair Up proving that just because a character is in a FS they can't be playable.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Crazy idea time. Make every FE character Bowser Jr. Not literally, but with the Koopalings I mean. Every costume is a different character (or at least some of them). Adjust character heights as necessary. Taller characters are a little shorter and shorter characters become a little taller to meet in a happy middle area.

And of course the fighting style would have to fit the character in question. So no turning Ike into a costume and putting him over Marth just because they both have swords. Characters already in Smash are naturally going to be trickier to work around (some outright impossible like Ike/Corrin), but newcomers themed around certain weapons/classes could allow for multiple characters to fit the role.

Example: Weapon Triangle using Marth and two other og FE characters as a base.

Sword - Marth / Alfonse / / Lucina / Eirika / Leif / - Tried to go with characters who would fit with Marth's graceful swordplay.

Lance - Caeda / Sharena / Hinoka / Cordelia / Tana / Est / Catria / Palla - General theme of the lance and pegasus knight/flying unit. Yes, Sharena isn't a flying unit, but I wanted to keep the Heroes trio intact.

Axe - Minverva / Anna / Camilla / Edelgard - This one was just a very general axe theme, but so far focused on females since I used Minerva as the base.

Incomplete and of course there's room to argue over who fits best/should be included to best sate fans' wants/represent the series/particular titles.

- "Focus the axe/lance characters on males to include characters like Hector, Basilio, Ephraim, Camus, Dimitri..."
- "Sumia, Clair, Mathilda, etc. should be in for lance instead!"
- " Anna shouldn't be a generic axe unit!"
- "Too many waifus!"
- Etc, etc.

Then you could follow suit and maybe make a general mage/tome character capable of various magic (who imo would be a bit easier for including both male and female characters) with Merric/Linde/Mae/Lilina/Soren/Micaiah/Tharja/Ophelia. Of course replace and insert "x" character depending on your preference, plenty of possibilities.

For those that want Lyn, a myrmidon/swordmaster character that also has units like Navarre/Lon'qu, etc.

And then you continue on with maybe large, heavyweight axe wielders like Hector/Basilio, archers like Jeorge/Innes/Virion/Takumi/Claude, etc. and so on.

Just an idea I had.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Crazy idea time. Make every FE character Bowser Jr. Not literally, but with the Koopalings I mean. Every costume is a different character (or at least some of them). Adjust character heights as necessary. Taller characters are a little shorter and shorter characters become a little taller to meet in a happy middle area.

And of course the fighting style would have to fit the character in question. So no turning Ike into a costume and putting him over Marth just because they both have swords. Characters already in Smash are naturally going to be trickier to work around (some outright impossible like Ike/Corrin), but newcomers themed around certain weapons/classes could allow for multiple characters to fit the role.

Example: Weapon Triangle using Marth and two other og FE characters as a base.

Sword - Marth / Alfonse / / Lucina / Eirika / Leif / - Tried to go with characters who would fit with Marth's graceful swordplay.

Lance - Caeda / Sharena / Hinoka / Cordelia / Tana / Est / Catria / Palla - General theme of the lance and pegasus knight/flying unit. Yes, Sharena isn't a flying unit, but I wanted to keep the Heroes trio intact.

Axe - Minverva / Anna / Camilla / Edelgard - This one was just a very general axe theme, but so far focused on females since I used Minerva as the base.

Incomplete and of course there's room to argue over who fits best/should be included to best sate fans' wants/represent the series/particular titles.

- "Focus the axe/lance characters on males to include characters like Hector, Ephraim, Camus, Dimitri..."
- "Sumia, Clair, Mathilda, etc. should be in for lance instead!"
- " Anna shouldn't be a generic axe unit!"
- "Too many waifus!"
- Etc, etc.

Then you could follow suit and maybe make a general mage/tome character capable of various magic (who imo would be a bit easier for including both male and female characters) with Merric/Linde/Mae/Lilina/Soren/Micaiah/Tharja/Ophelia. Of course replace and insert "x" character depending on your preference, plenty of possibilities.

For those that want Lyn, a myrmidon/swordmaster character that also has units like Navarre/Lon'qu, etc.

And then you continue on with maybe large, heavyweight axe wielders like Hector, archers like Jeorge/Innes/Virion/Takumi/Claude, etc. and so on.

Just an idea I had.
I'd enjoy that, especially Lyn having the Navarre archetypes as her alts. It'd be pretty damn cathartic to beat up Roy as Rutger, the REAL hero of FE6.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'd enjoy that, especially Lyn having the Navarre archetypes as her alts. It'd be pretty damn cathartic to beat up Roy as Rutger, the REAL hero of FE6.
Glad you like the idea, but this is the part where I ask the rest of you to fill in the blanks and the like. I like FE, but I started with Awakening. So I'm still playing catch up in regards to the rest of the series. I do own others like Fates, Echoes, Sacred Stones and Blazing, but I've yet to complete any of them.

Top Bottom