• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy 7

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
The Pong part was a joke, you're taking the internets too seriously right there.

Because it's one of the reasons FFVII fans love that game so much. They say it has the most emotional scene in any game, and it did nothing for me. I don't understand why people have any attachment to Aeris. I guess you agree that everyone who thinks FFVII is overrated has brain damage too? Thats a shame, you seemed sensible.

FFVII fans take any insult about the game as an insult to themselves. It found it boring and I still find it to be overrated. It did very few things that hadn't been done before.
Your opinion, however again, opinion doesn't remove the fact that it remained in the majority of people's eyes as one of the most well known scenes from any video game before or since then. Can you deny that? Or are you going to band on your opinion again?

For real, since when was it my opinion that VII's Death Scene with Aeris made as huge of an impact as it did?

Maybe ****ed up was a bit of a strong word to use, but the storyline in FFVII did nothing but bore me. If I really wanted to get to know characters that well I'd read a book. When I play games I expect to learn a little about the characters, but I don't want any drawn out stories. I play games for gameplay.
Again, you riding on "My Opinion", now I don't mind if you didn't like the "storyline" as much, however when comparing to most rpg's before hand. It really delved deep into character individuality and really fleshed them out to be more human then what was seen in most rpg's. This was a big change from the FF series, VI started it, but VII went infinitely deeper. Sad, how you talk about gameplay, when VII's gameplay was spectacular to watch, read, and play through.

You're saying that what I posted is opinion, but what other people post is fact (Protip: them agreeing with you doesn't make it fact, it's still their opinion)? That's flawed on so many levels. FFVII is fine for people who like turn based RPGs and/or feel like spending tons of time on side quests and **** like that. It isn't the sort of game I would ever play again. I found it decent, but certainly not one of the best games ever.
So "how" in the world does your opinion refute that VII was more successful then any rpg before it's time?

I might be confused on some parts of the game because I haven't played it in a very long time (I said before I didn't like it that much). The only RPGs I really bothered replaying were SoM, CT and SMRPG.
Which is why you haven't given me one single valid reason to VII being overrated. Also, the fact that if you dislike turnbased rpg's so much...you are basically saying that anything that's not CT/SoM/SMRPG is not good in your eyes...so basically anything turnbased with that standard is bad.

However, you make absolutely No Sense, because Chrono Trigger is *gasped* Turn Based.

I'll adress OWS's post about the storyline of CT and FFVII. You don't need to know anything about Chrono. He's an average person who just so happens to be thrown into a strange situation. Not much to explain there. I'm saying that CT didn't need to give me tons of details that I don't care about. I got plenty of story from it, any more would have made the game feel like a chore. Chrono is constantly helping the people of the world and seeing the effects of it later. I'm pretty sure CT was the first game to do something like that, and it did that very well. I find its story much more enjoyable than FFVII.s
This is the absolute reason why I said Chrono Trigger's storyline is very straight forward. VII was not built storyline wise to be a straight forward storyline. Chrono was a straight forward character, he did not have multiple dimensions like what you saw in VII.

There is a difference between the two, in one storyline, you have a person playing a pure Hero. In the other storyline, you have one who's weak, yet in the end, overcomes it enough to win.

I never argued about there being more sidequests in CT, but you made it seem like the game was completely straightforward and had no character development at all. I never said CT has more character development than FFVII, I never said CT had more sidequests than FFVII. I also find it hilarious that you said a sidequest being long essentially makes the sidequest good. Oh man, quantity > quality nowadays? Sidequests are great if they aren't tedious, which is why I love the CT sidequests. They are all unique and interesting, each one rewards you well and they certainly don't get boring.
This is what eludes me, firstly, you clearly stated that CT had all these "great" sidequest. Yet, you seemingly "Forgot" about VII's own Sidequest which where incredibly fun to do. So stop the hypocrisy already.

It's not Quantity>quality...however if you have Quantity+Quality>>>>Quality like in VII...I'd rather take Quantity+Quality over just Quality anyday of the week. Btw, each VII quest rewards you well and great (Mime Materia, Knights of the Round Table Materia, Apocalypse Weapon, Ultima Weapon, Death Penalty, Omni-Slash etc, etc), and usually after they are done, you no longer have to do them again.

So where does the quality die? My point exactly.

Stop mentioning CC. It wasn't a good game and it wasn't Chrono Trigger. I'm comparing games, not sequels or any bull**** like that. You are an idiot if you honestly think CC makes CT any better or worse (I'm not calling you an idiot unless you actually think that, in which case you must be). Sorry if this is seen as a personal attack, but you must be kidding if you think CC being released makes CT any less amazing. I might as well say all those terrible FFVII spinoffs make FFVII worse.
I brought up CC, because it was used to cover up "plotholes" within CT. Yes, your precious CT even has plot holes. Being the hypocrite that you are though, you wouldn't understand that, that's the reason why Schala finally came into light.

Sad really, when you have refuted NOTHING from my statements about Chrono Trigger and lolz...I know more about CT then you do, a game that you are trying to compare to VII:laugh:.

Remember, your beloved game had plotholes...just like Final Fantasy VII's.

Since I forgot to multiqute, here's the stupidest part of OWS's post.

You use one fact (that FFVII made RPGs more popular) and that instantly makes all of your opinions facts? It can be overrated, and it is. People like you make it overrated. You worship the game and NOBODY can convince you otherwise. You're extremely bigoted (although you'll deny it), and you refuse to accept that anything in the game is flawed. The game is flawed, get over it. There are better games out there.

You called it the best RPG ever, that's overrating it dip****. It was an influential RPG. does that make it better than games that came after (or before) it? No.

The brain damage part proves you're a bigot, you ran out of things to defend FFVII with so why not insult everyone who disagrees with you?

Edit: This post got a lot longer than I originally intended it to be.
The fact is this, you compared VII to CT, and the fact remains simple. CT did not make the impact VII did, period.

I regarded VII as the best Final Fantasy Game of All Time.
Where in my post did I ever say it was "the best" of all of time? I regard VII as not being overrated, because of the impact it made on a global scale.

My statement has nothing to do with what your bringing it too...an opinion lvl. Your idiocy blinds you yet again, because here you are going "VII didn't appeal to me, blah, blah this." "It didn't wow me gameplay wise" (That boggles me, considering nothing like a summong of Bahamut, an Omnislash or the such was ever that spectacular to look at, but in your eyes, the gameplay fighting was horrible and was boring).

Dude, I'm not talking about VII's appeal to you, I'm not talking about VII's appeal to me either.

What I've been trying to talk to you about is what VII did on a Global Scale. Quite frankly, NO RPG'S BEFORE HAND made this kind of impact. Your opinion, or my opinion, or someone's grandmother's opinion, it doesn't matter.

Now, are you to deny what VII has done/achieved for the company of Square? Or what it did for the Rpg Genre? This is the reason why I feel you have brain damage, so I honestly want to say this to you.

Which other RPG made as big of an impact or achieved in the same success magnitude as Final Fantasy VII did before it's time?

Oh yeah...that's right...you can't name one...and THAT'S MY POINT exactly. This isn't even opinion, it was shown back in 1997, VII was not overrated, it's achievements where one of the most successful within the gaming world ever.

Not just "influential", it changed the face of a company, it change the way rpg's where viewed, it paved the way for rpg's to dominate for the years to come. Without VII's success, we most likely wouldn't have all the rpg's we have today

You sicken me, because you keep bringing up opinion, this, opinion, that, when history speaks differently.

So you can really stop the fanboy riding comments, because all it does is making you look more like a bandwagoner of the I hate VII. Considering you hate turn based rpg's...yet CT at it's core is a turnebased rpg, and funny thing is, and I must repeat myself again, I know more about CT storyline/ingame wise then you do.

To end it to you Skler, VII is not overrated.

To EL, I'll reply to you next time, as I'm posting this at work, lolz.

Skler

Smash Master
The funny thing is, everything you mentioned doesn't make FFVII a better game. It was influential (I never said it wasn't), but it is massively overrated. People who go around saying "FFVII IS THE BEST RPG/GAME EVER!!11!!1" prove that it is overrated. Try asking a bunch of people who play FF games religiously and they will probably all say FFVII is the best game ever. Overrated? I think so. No matter how much influence it had on RPGs or gaming, calling it the best game ever is overrating it. Try and grasp the concept, I'm sure you can do it. I'm not saying people on this thread are saying it's the best game ever (but I"m sure if you look back a few pages you'll see a few people say it), but if you ask fans of the game there's a good chance you'll find people overrate it constantly.

Here's an example of a game being overrated, see if you can point out the similarities between what you're arguing and what I'm arguing here.

Super Mario Bros. had a ton of influence on gaming, it made the NES the most popular system for years and years. It also made platform games become insanely popular and had tons of spinoffs. It basically made Nintendo dominate the console market. Does this mean that if I say Super Mario Bros. is the best game ever that I'm not overrating it? No, of course I'd be overrating it if I called it the best game ever. Saying any game is the best game ever is overrating it no matter how much influence it had on gaming.

On me disliking turn based RPGs, I only think that turnbased is way overdone. It was fine...for a while. I don't bother playing turn based RPGs anymore because they are all (pretty much) the same thing.

To recap, I never said FFVII wasn't influential. I only argued that it isn't this perfect, untouchable game that deserves to be put on a pedestal for the world to adore. I found it to be a decent game. This is why I think it is overrated, since most FFVII lovers will say "NO WAI IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER". It isn't, there's no arguing that. Just because you don't overrate it (and you probably do unless you consider Super Mario Bros to be just as great of a game) doesn't mean it isn't overrated.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Reply to what exactly?

I think it's FF7 fanboyism that makes the game overrated not the game itself.

I feel the same way about Death Note and Inuyasha.

Rampant fanboyism combined with ignorance is what makes something overrated not that particular thing itself.

I'm not stupid. I know well what FF7 did for Sony, the playstaton, the videogame industry, the RPG genre, etc. And I know it pioneered alot of different things.

What of it?

I'm not gonna suck the games **** because of that since after playing many many other RPG's I don't think FF7 is the greatest although it still is great.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Arguing about games being overrated is senseless. Play what you like. Ignore everything else. What's the problem here?

People who relentlessly try to push games on people are not intelligent. That is all. Not everyone who likes certain games are like that.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Arguing about games being overrated is senseless. Play what you like. Ignore everything else. What's the problem here?
QFT.

People who relentlessly try to push games on people are not intelligent. That is all. Not everyone who likes certain games are like that.
I hope OneWingSephiroth and Skler read this. It's getting annoying to read them stating the same thing over and over.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I hope OneWingSephiroth and Skler read this. It's getting annoying to read them stating the same thing over and over.
I love FFVII, though, while they argue, I can be playing it and enjoying myself. You don't need to listen to people arguing about your opinion, and you don't need to force your opinion on people. Just enjoy yourself.

And on that note, since this is an FFVII thread, How many Knights of the round materia does everyone have. <_< :psycho:

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents

Rampant fanboyism combined with ignorance is what makes something overrated not that particular thing itself.
I agree with this, and the FF7 fandom in general is dumb sometimes -_- that's why I stopped being involved.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Reply to what exactly?

I'm not stupid. I know well what FF7 did for Sony, the playstaton, the videogame industry, the RPG genre, etc. And I know it pioneered alot of different things.

What of it?
thats my point of view with nintendo and their f***ed up fanboys

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I agree with this, and the FF7 fandom in general is dumb sometimes -_- that's why I stopped being involved.
I am the biggest FF7 fan out there. But I agree, sometimes everything in general is ridiculous. The game to me has a lot of meaning and its like the first RPG that brought us a confused main character that has a lot of potential but at the same time, fails his dream. Sephiroth is by far the greatest villain ever (EVER). Materia and the life stream fit perfectly into the story (materia is by far the best magic system ever created and yet, it still has much room to expand). Overall, in terms of story and character development, it is the best RPG ever created. I know that most of the haters are going to say, "if there was such good character development, why are sequels and prequels STILL coming out." To answer this; the characters and story have received so much interest that Squenix has decided to expand on their development. In terms of gameplay, it didnt bring us anything new (besides the awesome materia system). Overhyped ... yes. To many fan boys ... yes. Greatest game ever ... to certain people (me included), yes. FINALLY, I really do hope they end the FF7 series with a sequel. Advent children was awesome. Dirge of Cerberus, was not so awesome. I mean, the only good thing that came out of that game was the intro of Genesis. It wasnt an awful game but, it wasnt great either. Crisis Core is going to be awesome. Forget the remake, give us one last chapter of the series and give us something entirely new.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Really, it wouldn't make sense to not have some kind of last sequel to finish off Genesis' story. Though, it's up in the air for now.

Also, Crisis Core's going to be awesome.

pikamon

Smash Ace
Isn't Crisis Core out yet? Oh, if only I had a PSP...

FF7 was a pretty cool game. The materia system is still my favorite (followed by the Sphere Grid). The biggest downside to the game, though, was the ending and the mediocre translation. If this game had come out later on, say, on the PS3, it would have been hands down fantastic. I'm still hoping they remake it and update the translation, music, and so on (do I even need to say graphics?). Don't get me wrong though, the game is still one of my favorite RPGs (FF9 was my all time favorite) and I think it deserves some of the fandom, but it is seriously dated and needs some retweaking for the new generation of gamers.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Played it briefly, and it was indeed awesome. But in terms of epicness, Final Fantasy VI>Final Fantasy VII. And in terms of badassery, it is sadly outclassed by FFVIII. I think VII is a great game, it just had the misfortune of having too many fanboys and of being sandwiched between my two favorite FF's of all time.

And seriously, if you want the greatest FF villain ever, go pay a visit to Kefka Palazzo. Seriously, only VG villain ever to survive the whole game, around five encounters with the main characters, and kill thousands of people, all BEFORE accomplishing his goals and ruling the world for several years. Then, of course, he gets confronted and defeated, but what did you expect?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
way overrated. Yes, it had a good story, but why do people think this game is top ****?

really? this game is nothing special. FFX is the best FF by a long shot.

FFVII does not need a re make, you are just die hard fans, look what it did to X. Just die-hard fan boys saying remake remake remake. What would a remake achieve?

good game, overrated.

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
I can see how VII can be called overrated but it was an amazing game it did have a great storyline, not to mention an amazing soundtrack.
I'd have to rank Ocarina of Time over it, though, it just seemed more epic to me
thats just an opinion though
Either of these games can be classified as the best game ever.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
I got to agree, FF7 is the SINGLE best game in the world (to me) and i really wouldn't mind a remake with better graphics, but i dont want any sequel/prequel/more movies.

EDIT: Note - FF7 is the game i grew up playing from when i was 7, as i got it the day it came out with my PS1, and i didnt get another game until i was 9 except destruction derby but i got sick of that in like a day. I didnt understand the storyline back then, but now i do and it is simply the best storyline and a very complex one too.

Kotep

Smash Cadet
I played Final Fantasy Seven, and I have to say, it really needed work in the graphics area. I can see the progression from sprites to 3D models, but it just looks...ew. I liked FFVI's magic system better, since you didn't have to level up your Espers endlessly. Also, FFVII's translation was just funny at points. That's not necessarily a good thing, though.

tl;dr- FFVII was okay. Not my favorite.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I played Final Fantasy Seven, and I have to say, it really needed work in the graphics area. I can see the progression from sprites to 3D models, but it just looks...ew. I liked FFVI's magic system better, since you didn't have to level up your Espers endlessly. Also, FFVII's translation was just funny at points. That's not necessarily a good thing, though.

tl;dr- FFVII was okay. Not my favorite.
You have to remember that this game is 11 years old now. Of course the graphics are going to be crap, except for the cutscenes, it's a PS1 game! Any old game we play now that is from early PS2, GC, etc. the graphics are going to be horrible compared to now.

Maldazzar

Smash Cadet
FF7 came out in 95, and compared to FF6, it had a massive graphic upgrade. At the time, 7's graphics were hailed as being great. Also when Doom 1 came out, I still vividly remember people writing reviews saying how realistic the graphics of that game was. Today, we see both of those games having horrible graphics.

Ideas on how good the graphics of a game are progressively deteriorate with time and newer technology.

Did 7 have good graphics? For the time, yes, it had some great graphics.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I believe that point has already been stressed to clarity. What I'm saying is that FF6 is simply a better game, graphics be ****ed. In terms of characterization, storyline, and gameplay, I just liked it so much better. Then again, I'm a sucker for old school 2D gaming, so meh.

Maldazzar

Smash Cadet
I wasn't picking at the gameplay factor of FF6, in fact my only reference to it was for graphics progression in the series as a whole. I wasn't necessarily defending FF7 as being a better game than FF6 just by graphics. I've loved all the FF games (except 8, for some reason I had to force myself to finish it out of necessity with no real appreciation of the game).

spindash

Smash Ace
The one frustration I'm having with a couple of my friends right now, is that they refuse to give any other video game that's a compilation of Final Fantasy VII the light of day. Simply because they believe the game ended and began with Final Fantasy VII, the original, and that's the end of the discussion.

That, is shallow and ignorant, I feel.

Dirge of Cerberus had a great gameplay system, and the storyline was polished and explored the development of characters as well. It's fanservice and expanding on one of, if not THE most successful title in the history of Square-Enix. However, in my opinion, unless they end the series with ONE final game after Dirge of Cerberus (with the old RPG system that we know and love and adore), the end of Final Fantasy VII was Advent Children to me. It's not say to say that Dirge of Cerberus was bad, but until we see a defining end of the series, then it's just unnecessary to me.

Crisis Core?

I am playing it since I just got it yesterday? And let me tell you all. It is THE prequel that does the legacy of Final Fantasy VII justice. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's a brilliant exploration of the events that take place before Nibelheim and Sephiroth's descent into insanity. In the original Final Fantasy VII, when we saw/looked into Zack, we just saw him as the one who had the true accomplishments that Cloud had used to mask his own failures, as the one who befriended Cloud and was the 1st Class SOLDIER who got killed while travelling to Midgar, on the run from ShinRa. In Crisis Core, we see Zack, Zack, Zack, and a LOT more Zack. And it's executed in an atmosphere that just SCREAMS "This is Final Fantasy VII. This is Midgar, this is ShinRa, SOLDIER, the exploits of a 2nd Class SOLDIER aspiring to be a hero and work alongside the legend. Sephiroth. And we are here to tell you a story about how it all began. Who is Genesis? What is Project G? Let's explore why Sephiroth only opens up to the likes of Angeal and Genesis."

"This is Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII. And we are here to give you one hell of a game that'll have you wanting to come back for more."

Call the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII milked and running dry, but Crisis Core is the game that will silence the people who believe that VII's only popular because of the ridiculously large army of fanboys/fangirls.

It is and always will be, my favorite Final Fantasy of all time.

Play Crisis Core, people. You won't regret it. And pray, along with me, that they DO end the series soon, because Dirge of Cerberus sets us up for the perfect big finale, if Square-Enix decides to give us one final chapter that brings us back to what made Final Fantasy VII, the original, a classic and a legend.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Spindash, you're absolutely correct.

Crisis core is amazing. I've been playing it for three days straight now. Almost forgot about Brawl.

spindash

Smash Ace
Spindash, you're absolutely correct.

Crisis core is amazing. I've been playing it for three days straight now. Almost forgot about Brawl.
Hahaha! You too, huh? I've logged 18 Hours in and I'm near the end, I believe. However, the New Game + Feature will be more then enough for me to want to repeat the game all over again~ The game's almost too much of a button masher. However, if you take the time to go out of your way for some of the missions/secret battles, strategy becomes implemented. That and a LOT of good timing with the roll. :p

It's going to obviously be shorter then the original legend, but it's length is more then enough for those that don't exactly try to power through, for a prequel. Zack Fair's gained a LOT more attention from me ever since his overhauling expansion of characterization in Crisis Core. Him, Cloud, Sephiroth, they're all just amazing to me. In fact, the whole cast is. I could go on and on. :p Easy button masher? If you just go straightforward and don't look for a challenge, yes. Great game? Yes.

Seriously, the moments, the dialogue, the kind of scenarios and how the characters interact? It's brilliant.

I'm kinda stuck though. I dunno wether if Zack looks better with his hair like it was in the beginning, or when he changed his style later in the game. X3

pikamon

Smash Ace
What happened in Dirge of Cerberus? And what makes you think there will be another installment afterwards? I never was able to play Dirge, simply because the battle system seems iffy to me, but I am certainly interested in the storyline of it.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Dirge of Cerberus's storyline might look like a clean finish to the compilation, but its secret ending is what screams "ONE MORE GAME'S COMING".

The main game clears up Vincent's story and puts a close to it, just like Advent Children did for Cloud (kind of).

Secret Ending:
When the scene starts, you see the aftermath of the battle with Omega Weapon. The camera zooms down to the underground where Weiss (the main antagonist) lies on a rock. He's seems to only be knocked out, as he wasn't absorbed into the Lifestream or anything like that. Suddenly, Genesis flies down, says some stuff leading to calling Weiss "brother". He picks him up and flies off.

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
I plan to beat Crisis Core then the Real game then Dirge,
I officially will have no life for over 2 months!
=]

Top Bottom