• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Styles: The Art of Link

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know what my style is. If my opponent is far I usually pull out a bomb, then rang, then throw the bomb, and hope that one of the two gives me an opening to shffl a fair or grab them, but if we're close I'll shffl more, sh backwards and throw rang more, etc. It depends on how well I am positioned, but I'd much rather be positioned far away so I can tank.

Jibeuz

Smash Cadet
I think if I have to explain my Link style, I would say "random Link". It's very simple, I use Spam Link, Tank Link, Shuffle Link, but all randomly. You throw lot of bombs, arrows and boomerang during few time, than all a sudden you go on tank run on it to combo, than all a sudden again avoid all his attack without attacking, just avoid, then shuffle, than tank Link, avoid, spam, tank , shuffling...
All that randmly as it come in you're head, you want to spam so U spam, then you want to tank than U tank. The random factor will makes your apponent mad !!! :chuckle:

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I've been trying to mix Tank/complex/Aniki style (if that's what you could call it) lately. Tank and Aniki style have been my strong suits, but I've never had much taste for the complex stuff, but Im trying to get better at that right now. Of couse I'm not like, amazingly awsome or anything but I think that describes how I play well.

BSpitz218

Smash Rookie
I use link's boomerang to keep them at bay then run up with a running swipe. If they have low percentage I'll hurricane spin (hopefully at the edge of my range). If they go up, I'll either juggle, throw a bomb, or fake em' out then do a forward smash. Then whatever happens happens.

What kind of style is that?

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
it sounds pretty ballanced it just depends on how often you use your boomerang.

as for me I think I'm starting to lean more toward Tank Link as I'm using my boomerang less and less. I;d say I'm in between balanced and tank it really depends on the type of player I fight.

anyway, my main stradegy is to keep my distance from the enemy (about maybe a bit more then Links hookshot reach) then hurl a boomerang at em. if it connects I'll immidiately go in for the kill with either a running hack, f-tilt, or F-smash, depending on the situation. once I can land a hit on an enemy I'll ussually follow up by waiting for the oponent to land on the ground (ussually the attack will send them flying through the air, if not for only a short while) once they hit the ground I like to shield grab, D-throw to U-tilt, then from there I try to juggle them with Links Nairs and Fairs. I find that an unexpected tactic if an enemy is magnified at the top of the screen, is to up+B them making sure the last swipe connect. this more often then not will KO them if done correctly.

The_Eradicator

Smash Rookie
Well, I recently made the switch to Y.Link, but as for A.Link: my hardest problem is keeping distance. I want to play defensivle/spam projectiles, but some levels and Link's lack of speed give me problems and force me to play offensively. Y.Link solves this problem, but lacks the monumental Up+B spike and general power/KO moves. Y.Link is really fun, maybe if you guys tried him you can use it to actually improve your Link's projectile game.
Young Link doesn't lack power KO moves, in fact he has more than A. Link. He has Dsmash, Fsmash, Dash attack Dair, while A. Link only has Up+B and Dair

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
I persoinally think this should be stickkied. anyone else agree?

Creudant

Smash Rookie
I think im more of a balanced Link, I usually use a bomb or boomerang to bounce em up, then i run in for a running slash, and try to juggle from there. If they are to far for the slash i try to juggle them with projectiles. At the same time i like to mix in close range combat, but i almost always go for a juggle, those Uair's are so addicting. =)

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
My style is realy simple...

I don't try a specific "tank" or "offensive" strategy, if they're close I don't use a lot of projectiles, but if they like to stay away I spam like no other :D I don't try to keep the enemy away but I won't go to them either...

Which means my strategy is more mindbased. The more I know how to do techwise the more versitale my game is, and I can pick up on how the enemy plays generally before the end of the first round.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I like to punish my opponents with the hook shot, especially if they are spacing on a platform. I am mostly a spammer, but I do tend to use alot of sword fighting if someone forces me into the fray. I usually try to have a bomb out to 'give' to my opponents. I also use the hook shot to open the space between myself and an opponent. I am still working on my hook shot game, but give it time and I should have thongs worked out.

Oh, and I really don't care what anybody thinks about me using the hook shot as an attack. Insult me if you wish, but I will continue to use it as a mindgame and punishment for stupid movements. I think I have something original and will continue to use the style I have.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
Props to the author of this thread. The more knowledge we can share with each other, the more chances one of us will rise to the top and make Link proud for all of us :)

To cut right to the chase, I've been modeling my playing style after Aniki's, after seeing that legendary friendly of him beating Ken's Marth on FD. Minimalist, smart, and clean.

However, I will recognize that there is a lot of potential to be had from the faster styles that THE GERM and sometimes Lord HDL exhibits with their Links. I know this has been said before, but even now, I can see the only way for a Link to consistently win matches is to seemlessly switch between all of these styles. Rushing. Camping. Swordplay. Projectiles. Fast. Patient. All of these adjectives can describe fighting styles that Link can utilize...and I think the challenge is to learn all of those styles, regardless of personal preference.

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
To cut right to the chase, I've been modeling my playing style after Aniki's, after seeing that legendary friendly of him beating Ken's Marth on FD. Minimalist, smart, and clean.
link plz. (not to be confused with the hero of time, but the URL of the video.)

I'm not a huge fan of Aniki personally but I have yet to see a good match of his.

out of all the styles of link, i don't think my favorite has been named... is there a type of style focused on setting traps with the projectiles?? ex: like tossing the boomerang under them while they're in the air, jumping up and hookshoting them, at this point they see that they can attack because the hookshot has a lot of delay but while focusing on that they hit the return boomerang, thus giving you time to recover from the hookshot and attacking again. just curious as to what type of link that would be.. ???

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
I think since I havent yet, now is a good time to go over what makes a good projectile Link aka spammer. Honestly, a good spammer will catch flak for his playstyle.
i kno exactly what u mean..... the last tourney i went to 3 ppl called me a camper with no skill. >_< its not my fault my items are thrown in such ways they get comboed to hell once one lands.if they manage to get through the warzone that i have set upon them i often find myself swatting almost every char away with a well timed F smash (especially effective on marth) you could see proof of this in some of my matches against my friends c0nn0r and Sniper.

on contrary to what many link players believe i do use some on my items close range. especially the bomb. although i rarely throw it at close range i do drop it on them. scoring multiple hits with one bomb allowing me to set up a grewsome combo/**** their shield,which i dubbed as BOMBOS(i kno its a lame combo pun but i love it XD). on some occasions i use the boomerang at close range for it has tremendous stun.

many view how i play as mindless spam but i put evey ounce of strategy i possibly can into each one i send hurteling toward my foe.

Exoah

Smash Cadet
Aniki's style is the best way for Link I think. Playing simple like Aniki can get you more focused on how to adapt to the situation instead of trying to SHFFL here and there and wavedash a little. Some players tend to do so much more complicated stuff when a simple move like the Spin Attack for example(lol) could have worked just as good. Things like that are what makes Aniki better I think. It can also lead to more "fun" games, you get to relax and do things like 'taking a bomb out' or 'preparing a smash or something' instead of 'short hop, nair, fast fall, l-cancel' 'reverse grab'. BUT thats just my opinion lol

Umby

Smash Master
Irrelevant factors to the "best" playing style for Link are irrelevant.

I'd also like to add that it doesn't matter what kind of style you are using, you still have to know how exploit your openings. Aniki doesn't wavedash or try to move fast, not a bad thing. He still has to know when Ken's Marth is coming in for a grab after a Dash Dance to Spot Dodge it. Germ moves fast and wavedashes. He still has to know when Ken's Marth is coming in for a grab after a Dash Dance to Spot Dodge it.

If you ask me, it's all about how comfortable you feel with your playing style. There is no "best" kind of playing style.

Merlin 2595

Smash Rookie
Link has three courses of projectile action, I liked to harness them. I'll often jump/shorthop and grab a bomb, and throw a boomerang so that if they manage to avoid both they'll be introduced to some of Links nice cold steel. Also, the air kick is very underrated, and it's very easy to shorthop with, and then quick roll/grab or continue your assault. Whats great about Link is he can wreak havoc upon single players and clear out space with his Spin Attack. To truly use Link I beleive you must be able to do what the original poster said, be as flexible as players such as Germ and Aniki. Which is what I'm currently working on. I watch videos of the two and try to combine the two to come up with combos that can rack up anyway from 75-125% damage. Currently I've managed to do around 87% damage with my largest combo, it was on a CPU however and I don't think it would work on a player. Anyways, I try to adapt a fighting style similar to Anikis, and then a few days later I'll try and be similar to Germ. I tend to smother my friends in bombs and boomerangs, and then like lightning I'll rush in and shorthop a air kick, and start the process over again. When edgegaurding I tend to use the attacks in this order. Boomerang, Bomb, Bow, and Spin Attack if they don't give up and manage to get back after about 30 seconds of mind games. Anyways, I'm no Aniki or Germ, but I love to play as Link, he destroys people.

Aesir

Smash Master
this thread was old when I had my first account lulz

I never posted in here before =(

my links a tank literally shoots beams and all. and he has little men that control him tooo

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Hmm, I'm better with Y.L. than adult, so I'm sort of like the "tank" style or however you put it, but spam bombs a lot and try to follow with a ground up+b or dash attack. Nonetheless...this thread was a good read :)

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
I can beat anybody with link. instead maybe a sheik or peach character... wats good strategies if any when using link when fighting peach or sheik

Evla

Smash Cadet
I usually switch to Tank Link style to projectile style Link. It seems to help alot and if your good at mind games (I'm decent) You can switch to Mind game Link. Using all 3 can help you. Projectile Link should be used to build momentum. and Tank Link should be the main style to use. Throw Mind Game Link a little bit and you should be able to throw your opponent off. Thats my opinion

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
went to Niagara smashfest last weekend and played a Link. he appeared to be somewhat balanced but at one point he stopped at one end of FD then just started jumping and using projectiles long distance. I didnt know how to counter it, so I tried to go in full force with a bomb...it sort of worked.

what should one do in this situatoin? how do you counter a projectile link?

D

Deleted member

Tanking link is really fun, all you have to do is try to get him as fast as you can (mind **** along with WL and WD yeahuzzz!!)

CoM_Sreenath

Smash Rookie
im a noob in these forums right now (checks post count), but i dont consider myself a noob with link

i dont know how to "classify" my strategy with link but i can explain it :). I like to keep my opponent at bay by using a lot of projectiles and damage them as they try to get close to me. When they do get close, i try to use upB or Forward smash to knock them off the edge. from there i usually try to edge guard or at least hit them with a few projectiles as they attemt to return to the edge.

i think my weaknesses are im slow and i dont know exactly when to shield.

what would my style be "classified" as?
thats what noobs do. sorry, but its true. Fsmash and upB, then not using your hylian kick or upB or Fair to edge guard, but instead projectiles to help them recover?

and you need to know how to shield....if you are to not be considered a noob. hell, i know when to shield, i can WD, SHFFL, and i use tons of aerials and dont spam any moves but i still consider myself a noob.

D

Deleted member

and to answer ur question ur a Spam Link

which is IMO the worst way to play link

Saucemonster

Smash Rookie
I don't have a special name for my play style. I guess it is sort of like the tank style:
- I use a lot of projectiles but when the enemy is in a bad spot, I punish them hard.
- Making your opponent predictable (in my opinion) is key. Find out what they do when a projectile comes. Do they shield? Do they run the hell away? or do they jump?
- Generally they jump or shield. If they shield, take the oppertunity to start spacing a F-air so they can't shield grab, then down smash if they stay in their shield (because it goes through) or if they grab. If you hit with the F-air, go nuts.
- If they jump, then they are in the perfect spot to get up-air spammed. Usually, I throw a boomerang, they jump, I jump and throw my bomb, they second jump, then I up-air (or F-air) and they have no jump lol. Then the pain comes.

Top Bottom