• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Ice Climbers

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
With either Sonic, Falco, Marth, or Wolf. i play a guy online and he does grab combos with the IC and i cant escape at all. like he will grab and have Nana do the meteor smash across the stage.
can any1 help me out on how to beat an IC player who does that good grab combos?

Browny

Smash Hater
it doesnt matter who you play as, no one can survive it. or you could just counter-pick metaknight and abuse the hell out of tornado and spam up-b non-stop until the IC player rage quits.

Tenki

Smash Hero
if you're 40-60%, you can actually survive the Nana spike with a Spring jump. if you're at 60%, you have to be careful cause if they grab-release you from spring, you'll get gimped @.@

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Across the stage? The spike? Can you escape with a tech roll or a get up attack?

Or was he chain grabbing across the stage TOO the spike?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Across the stage? The spike? Can you escape with a tech roll or a get up attack?

Or was he chain grabbing across the stage TOO the spike?
actually, at the first 2 grabs (assuming you're at 0%), the spike leaves you in the "OW" hitstun phase on the floor, completely vulnerable. I think after 40% is when they have to move on to different grabs cause then it'll start knocking you down.

He probably means varying chaingrabs until the edge > spike.

If you wanna counterpick, choose Yoshi's Island or any place with a hill xD

Umby

Smash Master
I still think this discussion should go into the matchup thread so BlueTerrorist has an easier time updating, but, once you're past the Ice Shots, I recommend double takes. The ICs will most likely just shield grab you otherwise. Even if you dash attack, they'll probably perfect shield and pivot grab afterwards. I'm not sure how well ftilt can follow up after, considering Nana can still grab even if Popo gets hit, but definitely you want mostly double takes before you attack. Just make sure you mix it up so you don't force them to spam dsmash.

I'm only theorizing here, but I believe landing a SH nair behind Nana can work to separate them.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
one thing to say that has lead to me winning all of these matchups (ive had alot)
spin dash! it breaks up the ice climbers SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EASILY!
u wudn't belive how ez it is 2 split 'em up and gimp the lone i.c!

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Down Smash, my friend. If you're Sonic. The second you seperate them it's harder for the player to hold the synchronization. If you can help it and if Nana's in a vulnerable spot, take care of her and then work on Popo.

But it's still one hell of a matchup. :\

I may be using Meta Knight against them.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
In most cases the only real advice i can give is don't get grabbed, spacing is a friend.. it should be a long battle, but if you're a little prick like me who has no patience, just go in there swangin' and stay air bound. Any good IC player that can CG you to death is beatable, any IC player than can "da-sink" at will...you're screwed.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
IC's can destroy Sonic's spin dash approach with their side b. Homing attack tends to work pretty well. If it's shielded, it usually still hits Nana. Once they're seperated, you can actually start playing an offensive game. The grabs are a pain, and the only lame advice that can be given on them is don't get grabbed, which obviously doesn't help much. That's all I can think of right now.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Down Smash, my friend. If you're Sonic. The second you seperate them it's harder for the player to hold the synchronization. If you can help it and if Nana's in a vulnerable spot, take care of her and then work on Popo.

Diddy doesn't hurt either, that's probably my best bet, though I have snake as well.

I prefer Diddy to Meta because of his Bannanas and he suits me better than Meta.

Violent-nin

Smash Ace
You can't really escape it you get caught into it.

Like some people have said, your best bet is to counter pick with Meta Knight.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman

I agree... With Sonic down smash and Fair like crazy and try to be safe until you hit and the IC desych. But if you want to counterpick, use meta... Glide Attack/Dair to down smash is GREAT!

Tenki

Smash Hero
I agree... With Sonic down smash and Fair like crazy and try to be safe until you hit and the IC desych. But if you want to counterpick, use meta... Glide Attack/Dair to down smash is GREAT!
D smash isn't that great though. It's got punishable lag afterwards, which totally sucks if Popo shields it, cause then he can grab you and, possibly, start a new CG from there. If you're between them and you hit Nana away, then that's fine. Just don't do it when they're both on the same side.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
D smash isn't that great though. It's got punishable lag afterwards, which totally sucks if Popo shields it, cause then he can grab you and, possibly, start a new CG from there. If you're between them and you hit Nana away, then that's fine. Just don't do it when they're both on the same side.
I approve. Of the post and the avatar.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
It's nice to see someone that makes sense in this thread.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
He he... If you down smash like crazy you'll get *****... I meant Fair a lot, not down smash, sorry... I works for me and using ASC aiming between them works too (If they shield just jump away)

Top Bottom