• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I truly believe that Germany's moral was completely shot when Paul made the prediction of Spain winning, that German team I saw yesterday was nothing compared to what I saw vs Argentina.
Germany wasn't playing bad at all, they were simply being outplayed.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Germany wasn't playing bad at all, they were simply being outplayed.
I was only able to watch the first half, and they were definitely outplayed, and also those few chances Germany had of scoring were either blocked by the good defense Spain had that match or Casillas was just a beastly goalie and stopped every shot that came (only 3 I think...)

I would put my money on the Netherlands for the final though, they are a very silent and efficient team.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Kuyt won't be the player of the tournament, no matter what happens in the final. If Netherlands wins the cup I guess Sneijder will be the golden ball this year. If Spain wins it will be Xavi for sure (which makes me proud, as he would be the first catalan football player to win this award)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
They score very few goals for how much they're on the attack though.

:059:
That's because everybody who faces Spain knows that they have to do a tremendous deffensive effort during the whole game. You got to remember that the other team's defense also plays the game, it's not just you attacking and going into the goal line.

The funny thing about this final for me, is that this Spanish style of playing football comes from the figure of a Dutch man, Johann Cruijff. He promoted this offensive style of keeping control of the ball when he was Barça's coach and Spain has just been imitating Barça's style. It all comes from Ajax Amsterdam and Cruijff. Cruijff himself predicted after Spain's loss to Switzerland in the first round that Spain was going to win the cup.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Greatest player of all time.
this is stupid. fanboyism. I guess you are too much of a Liverpool fanatic.

Kuyt is in fact one of the weakest players in Netherlands offense imo. Van Persie is not at his best now but he's better than Kuyt anyways, no need to speak about Robben.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
More like a hat trick of broken limbs from a Sergio Ramos tackle.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
Lol holland's team is a joke.. see what happends when they run out of luck and come up against a real team that isnt hoping on 1 player to win the game for them..
Also Bert van marwijk doesnt have any balls... letting a defender play in there offense.. let eliah play and u might actuelly have some threat..

Im calling 3-0 for spain! get at me;)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But controlling the ball is easier for Spain because their midfield is far superior in quality.

Not to mention, they managed to keep the highest scoring team in the tournament from scoring a goal at all, even on the counter attack.

It's actually mystifying that this Dutch team of all Dutch teams is in the final.

Guess it speaks pretty loudly for this World Cup in general. :x

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If Spain wins the final, there is only one team in the whole cup that has gone undefeated: New Zealand.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But controlling the ball is easier for Spain because their midfield is far superior in quality.

Not to mention, they managed to keep the highest scoring team in the tournament from scoring a goal at all, even on the counter attack.

It's actually mystifying that this Dutch team of all Dutch teams is in the final.

Guess it speaks pretty loudly for this World Cup in general. :x
I know the Dutch have been criticised for the two holding midfielders but at least they've done it the right way though. Instead of having just two destroyers, they've got a destroyer and a footballer.

I agree about Kuyt; I seriously don't think he should be there. Yes he's scored and got an assist but there are better players on the bench. Work-rate means nothing if it isn't productive, and it usually isn't with Kuyt.

Especially against Spain on their right side, where Ramos gets forward alot, you'd want a pacey winger like Ellia or Babel to surpress Ramos from going forward and getting that width (although he rarely does anything with it anyway).

Any bet Kuyt will score the winner now after what I've said.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
ELIA is actually one interesting player imo

really looking forward to see that guy signing for a big european team (I don't even know where he plays now)

this Netherlands team is really good. there have been better ones but this generation is pretty good.
however, this generation for Spain is by far the best in our history, both in quality and in style. I really think this Spanish team can get into football history as one of the best teams ever seen.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Loooooool, the Germans must really be pissed off that he predicted Spain would win :laugh:

My money's on Spain. I can't decide myself anyways XD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know the Dutch have been criticised for the two holding midfielders but at least they've done it the right way though. Instead of having just two destroyers, they've got a destroyer and a footballer.

I agree about Kuyt; I seriously don't think he should be there. Yes he's scored and got an assist but there are better players on the bench. Work-rate means nothing if it isn't productive, and it usually isn't with Kuyt.

Especially against Spain on their right side, where Ramos gets forward alot, you'd want a pacey winger like Ellia or Babel to surpress Ramos from going forward and getting that width (although he rarely does anything with it anyway).

Any bet Kuyt will score the winner now after what I've said.
Spain have two holding midfielders too in Busquets and Alonso.

Then you've got the whole Xavi/Iniesta thing going on. That midfield is outrageously good.

Last game had Pedro too obv but as a rule he's not usually there as we've seen.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
ELIA is actually one interesting player imo

really looking forward to see that guy signing for a big european team (I don't even know where he plays now)

this Netherlands team is really good. there have been better ones but this generation is pretty good.
however, this generation for Spain is by far the best in our history, both in quality and in style. I really think this Spanish team can get into football history as one of the best teams ever seen.
Lol, the world has known better teams.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah, Brazil of$ 1970 lol.

Easily could've won without Pelé.

Also, why does Sneijder get absolutely no love?

HE IS HOLLAND'S BEST PLAYER FFFFFFF DIE EVERYONE

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Spain have two holding midfielders too in Busquets and Alonso.

Then you've got the whole Xavi/Iniesta thing going on. That midfield is outrageously good.

Last game had Pedro too obv but as a rule he's not usually there as we've seen.
Busquets is unecessary though.

They should play a narrow diamond midfield with Alonso deep, then Xavi and Iniesta as the wide midfielders, with Fabregas in behind the strikers, who would be Torres and Villa.

I know this team lacks a destroyer like Busquets but Spain will control the ball so much that role is not really needed in the team.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Lol, the world has known better teams.
Spain has never had a better team.

This one can also be in my opinion one of the best teams in football history. I'm not saying the best one but definitely one of the best. They win playing better football than the opponent and always controlling the game, that's something you don't usually get to see.

ps.
I totally agree with Dre, I would put Cesc too, but Del Bosque prefers double holding Xabi Alonso - Busquets and it is giving good results overall. Moreover, Torres is not in a very good shape right now, so he has to redo the strategy if he's not putting him in (Torres should always be in imo)

Maybe I would take Xabi Alonso out and let Busquets in, because Busquets is playing a better world cup until now. Many people in Spain say that he is being the best player in the team, stopping the opponents' offense.

But for me Cesc should always be in too, he's way too good it's almost a sin not to put him as a starter in any team. The problem is Del Bosque sees him as a reserve for Xavi.

Browny

Smash Hater
Lmao, idc if people hate paul, the stories surrounding him are hilarious :p

But the art of football predicting has become a dangerous job for the English-born clairvoyant cephalopod with some bitter German fans threatening to turn him into sushi after he predicted a semi-final defeat for the German team.

Paul's home, an aquarium in western Germany, has received death-threat emails saying "we want Paul for the pan," said entertainment supervisor Daniel Fey.

"Since yesterday our colleagues have kept a very close eye on Paul," Fey added.

No less an authority than Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luiz Rodriguez Zapatero has hinted at octopus bodyguards.

"I am concerned for the octopus ... I am thinking of sending him a protective team," joked Zapatero on Radio Cadena Ser.

Spanish Industry Minister Miguel Sebastian has called for the creature to be given an "immediate" free transfer to Spain to "ensure his protection."

Stung by Paul's "treachery" at picking Spain over Germany in the semi-final, some sections of the 350,000-strong crowd watching the game on giant screens in Berlin sang anti-octopus songs.

The honour of Paul's mother was called into question, according to witnesses
I almost forgot the 3rd place match was tonight :O

Kole

Smash Lord
This sucks, I can't watch tomorrow's game...have water polo. :(

go holland!!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Haha, Paul strikes again!

Germany wins over Uruguay for 3rd place with a score of 3-2.
That octopus should be a national treasure :)
I swear that for a moment I thought Paul would be wrong and my wager would be wrong as well, because for these matches I'm completely basing it on Paul :laugh:

Think he's gonna be alive in 4 years?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
have you guys heard of the psychic parakeet that predicted the netherlands is going to win over spain?

they said he predicted all the quarter final games lol

competition for paul

this is getting ridiculous lol

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
have you guys heard of the psychic parakeet that predicted the netherlands is going to win over spain?

they said he predicted all the quarter final games lol

competition for paul

this is getting ridiculous lol
Dude, my grandmother was all over that. She says that the parakeet is always right and Paul is gonna lose this one :dizzy:

Top Bottom