• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Oh my bad, for some reason I thought you where talking about Henry, I'd assume now you where talking about Joe Cole. Ll, my bad.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
C'mon he's not trash and he's better than Yossi. And free transfer? There's only positives.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Cesc to Barcelona

will happen this year or the next one

Henry is finished and needs to do a basketball travel to score goals

Ibrahimovic is useless for Barça and Villa is what they need

I fear Mourinho this year, he is really the kriptonyte of barça

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
if anyone cares, the international friendly between inter milan v manchester city is starting

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I figure there must be some soccer fans in here so...

What kind of information can someone give me on Manchester City F.C. and Inter Milan? I have tickets to an exhibition this saturday in Baltimore, and I want to better prepare myself. I've been to both of their websites, but I figure someone on here might be fans of either team.
Said on the Zelda Social. At least, he cares lol
Anyways, it sounds as an interesting game.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I say prepare yourself for boredom and mediocrity.

It's a friendly.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Yeah, Chicharito is going well (he also scored AGAINST ManU on an exhibition match).
I hope get to the main ManU team.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
It will be easy for him to play for ManU as their only good striker is Rooney. Needs another one.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I know espn started covering games from last season. Be it espn 2 or whatever I'm not sure.

For streaming online, failing espn's website as they may stream, I recommend www.ilemi.com

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Arsenal vs Liverpool at 11am ET on FOX SOCCER

I'm so happy FOX SOCCER are showing these games here in the US :)

Arsenal is probably not going to win, they are missing so many good players due to injury. Also can a mod make this a general soccer thread?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i lol'd at that last minute own goal

i also lol'd at robert green having a replay of usa v eng

man u game right now

Olikus

Smash Champion
Good feeling on Manchester United this year. If king Scholes continue to play like this, the premier league trophy will go to Manchester United XD

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I expect the german Bundesliga and the Premier League to be the most interesting ones whereas the Serie A and La Liga will likely be as one sided as last season.

Inter is just looking too strong and anything except yet another win in the championship would be a huge disappointment. In spain there should be the inevitable struggle between Real and Barca although Real - as strong as Barca might look - may actually have a chance this season as they for once have a smart trainer in Jose Mourinho, who also made some good decisions [such as signing up Carvalho from Chelsea to tighten their defenses].

I'm curious how ManCity will perform this season in the Premier League after signing David Silva and Mario Balotelli and I can see them among the top 3 this season. Liverpool has to hope for Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard to get back into their best shape if they don't want last season's fiasco to not repeat itself. Arsenal is also kind of up in the air - they have been quite consistent during the last few seasons but with a young squad like that there's always a chance that they might over-/under perform.

Germany is looking really balanced. HSV and Schalke made some good sign-up and both teams have the quality as well as the quantity to go very far this season. Bayern and Leverusen both had a great season and based on their signings and sellings there's no reason to assume they won't do as good this year. All 4 teams look strong enough for a top 2 placing this time around.

My 0.02

:059:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I expect the german Bundesliga and the Premier League to be the most interesting ones whereas the Serie A and La Liga will likely be as one sided as last season.
Sorry but no.
the bundesliga is usually the most one-sided league in the world (Bayern only top class team there)
and the premier people always talk the usual rubbish to other leagues to make them look better.
Premier league has been exactly the same as la liga, a two horse race (ManU and Chelsea) for some years now.
This year Man city can be up there but more because of most of other teams getting weaker (Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal) maybe Chelsea will be weaker too.

So to make it sort, pretty much all the top leagues have the usual one or two big favorites and some "B tier" teams.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I would say that Man city has getting stronger rather than ManU and Chelsea getting weaker. ManCity has bought so many players that they might be up there. But as you say, I think also this year that ManU and Chelsea are getting the top 2 places. Just because they simply are better teams.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
FFFFFFFFF I wanted the Netherlands to win the final. Thats why I hated the Fifa 2010 World Cup at the end.

I was with Germany at the start though. Cause I don't our(Englands) team.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I would say that Man city has getting stronger rather than ManU and Chelsea getting weaker. ManCity has bought so many players that they might be up there. But as you say, I think also this year that ManU and Chelsea are getting the top 2 places. Just because they simply are better teams.
Man U got weaker since the departure of C. Ronaldo, and people like Scholes and Giggs are old. Manchester lacks young stars right now.
Arsenal are quite bad and overrated, yes they play nice football, but their only great player is Cesc and he can't even make it in the Spain's starting XI.
Liverpool are just going under, Gerrard is getting old and Mascherano wants to go. Torres may quit aswell.
Chelsea, maybe they will have the same problem as Man U. No great young players and some of them getting older. Drogba is not that young anymore, he will sooner or later start to become useless.

Man City will be no doubt the big surprise of the season, but meh, even my local town team can become a great team with all that money.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Haha, true. The moneyuse is ridiculus. But the way scholes and Drogba are playing atm, I cant say they look weaker than last sesion. But we will wait and see.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mascherano is the most overrated player in the premier league behind Carragher, so they should sell him as soon as possible, and make big money off clubs silly enough to think 1. An enforcer is worth big money 2. That he'll do the job better than any youngster they tell to screen their backline.

If Arsenal get pummelled at home to Chelsea at home again this time Wenger has no excuses, because by now he knows they'll just outmuscle his team and he should prepare accordingly.

Tottenham will probably fade away towards the end of the season like Villa did two seasons ago, because outside of their starting 11 they don't have any top-4 quality.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
You're horribly wrong about Mascherano. Easily one of the best DMs in the world, if not the best.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I know alot of credible people think that, but I strongly disagree.

Let me ask you this- what does he have that other DMs don't?

He's not a goal-scorer, like a Diaby or a Viera.

He's not renown for his ball distribution, like say a Pirlo or Alonso.

He has the disciplinary record of Lee Cattermole, the DM for Sunderland, he gets 2 reds and like 300 yellows a season.

I've never seen him commit a good foul. They're always dirty challenges on the half-way line, or fouls when the player has their back to goal or something like that. He always puts his team under unecessary pressure with his stupid fouling.

Why do you think Liverpool declined last season, where was the major change in the team? That's right, Alonso left. People say he doesn't offer that steel that Macherano does, but ironically, the only reason why Alonso isn't considered a ball-winner is because...he actually gets the ball with most of his tackles. The players that are considered "ball winners", like De Jong, Palacios, Alan Smith, commit more fouls than clean tackles. If "steel" is committing unecessary fouls when there is no momentum to break up, then I don't want it in my team.

So Alonso left, and they played Macherano next to Lucas. Lucas is just pretty much a weaker version of Mascherano, but on the odd day can actually create with the ball.

I mean, the guy doesn't even track runs properly. The guy is supposed to be the best DM in the world, yet you have people like tevez getting a year of free time on the edge of Liverpool's area to score, or you have mediocre players like Cameron Jerome outmuscling him to score from distance.

So I'm curious to see what you think Macherano has that other DMs dont. I'd like to see you name another DM, like De Jong, Palacios, or Etuhu, and then tell me what Macherano does better than them. This isn't a personal attack on you, it's just that so far, every argument I've heard in favour of him pertains to something that all DMs do, like "he walls the space".

Olikus

Smash Champion
I know alot of credible people think that, but I strongly disagree.

Let me ask you this- what does he have that other DMs don't?

He's not renown for his ball distribution, like say a Pirlo or Alonso.

He has the disciplinary record of Lee Cattermole, the DM for Sunderland, he gets 2 reds and like 300 yellows a season.

I've never seen him commit a good foul. They're always dirty challenges on the half-way line, or fouls when the player has their back to goal or something like that. He always puts his team under unecessary pressure with his stupid fouling.

Why do you think Liverpool declined last season, where was the major change in the team? That's right, Alonso left. People say he doesn't offer that steel that Macherano does, but ironically, the only reason why Alonso isn't considered a ball-winner is because...he actually gets the ball with most of his tackles. The players that are considered "ball winners", like De Jong, Palacios, Alan Smith, commit more fouls than clean tackles. If "steel" is committing unecessary fouls when there is no momentum to break up, then I don't want it in my team.

So Alonso left, and they played Macherano next to Lucas. Lucas is just pretty much a weaker version of Mascherano, but on the odd day can actually create with the ball.

I mean, the guy doesn't even track runs properly. The guy is supposed to be the best DM in the world, yet you have people like tevez getting a year of free time on the edge of Liverpool's area to score, or you have mediocre players like Cameron Jerome outmuscling him to score from distance.

So I'm curious to see what you think Macherano has that other DMs dont. I'd like to see you name another DM, like De Jong, Palacios, or Etuhu, and then tell me what Macherano does better than them. This isn't a personal attack on you, it's just that so far, every argument I've heard in favour of him pertains to something that all DMs do, like "he walls the space".

I never think there are gonna come any comebacks on this one. Its nothing but the truth.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Euro qualification started. Good start for England, if un-assured at times. Joe Hart is amazing.

He's not renown for his ball distribution, like say a Pirlo or Alonso.[
This may sound like a redundant point but not all DM's are built the same so it's natural some will excel at some elements rather than others. Viera's career is in its twilight and Diaby is horribly inconsistent thus far, some games he is utterly anonymous. His goal scoring record isn't that good either. Was Makelele a goal scorer? Does that make him any less of a DM? The primary task a DM has to do is break up play and Mascherano excels at that.

Scoring goals is a bonus as a DM, not a demand.

As far as fantastic ball distribution, Mascherano will never have that element to his game because his sole purpose is to destroy not to create. He recognises this, his managers and team mates do too. He's meant to protect the back four and give possession to those that can create. Alonso and Pirlo are exceptional at that but then again do they track runs as tenaciously as Mascherano? Do they make regular vital challenges?

Additionally, Mascherano played at right back during last season on a couple of occasions too and executed the role exceptionally well. I doubt any of the four DM's you named could do that. Does that make them any less a DM?

Having the ability to score and great distribution are great traits to have as a DM, but are not pre-requisites.

I think he's matured recently. He's far less reckless and too often he gets pigeon holed into the category of a disciplinary delinquent.

Mascherano is not Scholes. He can tackle and sometimes he does it superbly. Giving away free kicks again is sometimes due to his reputation, in a 50 50 the ref is likely to go against the DM. I've rarely seen the dirty challenges you're referring to.

I adore Alonso. The reason Liverpool were so strong the season before last was because of the effective relationship between Alonso and Mascherano. Mascherano was the destroyer and Alonso was the creator, which allowed the platform for Gerrard and Torres to be their destructive best.

Alonso tackles differently to Mascherano. Alonso gives away just as many fouls it's just that you don't see Alonso sprinting after the ball and sliding in the way Mascherano does.

Lucas, like Diaby, is horrribly inconsistent.

Jerome's goal is the exception, not the norm. As far as Tevez getting a year of free time, I can't firstly recall the incident and secondly the defensive quartet must be guilty too.

Mascherano does track runs. He chases, he harries, he wins the ball, he breaks up play, he makes vital challenges.

Palacios and Etuhu are both inconsistent. De Jong I do rate highly, but I think he is far more guilty of bad fouling than Mascherano. None of them cover the field like Mascherano, the man pops up everywhere, he is literally a machine. His performance in the 89th minute is the exact same as the 1st and his desire to get the ball is unparalleled. He puts his body on the line, whereas an Etuhu is uncommitted at times and his positional understanding is far greater than that of a Palacios. His contribution to the team is apparent every game and he is never anonymous, he has become an extremely reliable DM.

In conclusion, to answer your question, what does he have that other DMs don't? I'm not saying others can't do what Mascherano does, it's just Mascherano is one of the best at it.

Olikus

Smash Champion
You don't really say why he is that good. He's goalscoring record isn't that good? He has scored 3 goals in his whole career. Even for a DM thats crap. And rarely seen the dirty challenges? I have seen a lot football in my life and mascherano is probably the most dirty of them all. If he gets the ball its a bonus for him. He kick legs, hanging in shirts, argue with the referee all the time, and tackles like he tries to kill. And he cant pass like Scholes and Xavi either. Not even close. So your only point is that he runs in 90 minutes, but when you play in midfield, and especially in the premier league where the speed is at its highest you have to run all the time. So that's a demand not a thing that makes him very good. If it should be a point that made him better, then he should had run more than anyone else, like Tevez or Fletcher, but he dont run that much either.

So, he cant shoot, pass or tackle, he doesn't run very fast but he can run trough the match like an average midfielder in the premier league. Mascherano is probably the most overrated player in the world, after Lampard.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I said he's one of the best because he is fantastic at breaking up the opponent's play reliably. He does it as good as anyone responsible for protecting the back four. He does his job. As a DM he is not required to score goals or have fantastic distribution. You might aswell criticise Reina for not scoring goals then.

Mascherano can tackle. Countless times when watching Liverpool he wins the ball when others didn't. I don't know what Mascherano you're referring to.

You criticise Mascherano for not scoring and then say Lampard is overrated, when he has one of the most consistent goal scoring records for a midfield player in the Premiership. How many goals does someone have to score? How many tackles does a DM have to make to impress you?

Name me some DM's you think are better than Mascherano.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I said Lampard is the most overrated player, not because he doesn't score goals( because he DO scores a lot) but because many regards him as one of the best players in the world. And I don't think he qualifies that title. And again same thing with Mascherano. He is not a bad player but he is not the best DM in the world. Scholes, Xabi Alonso, Essien, Busquets and Yaya Toure are better in my point of view. Scholes and Xabi has a great shot, touch and passes, and Busquets, Essien and Yaya Toure breaks up the play without being so ugly in their play as Mascherano. But its a point that Mascherano gets away with a lot of dirty challenges that the referee don't always notice, but I personally wouldn't call that a good thing.

Top Bottom