• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No.

Spain have never won the World Cup before. They were famous for choking at major competitions until 2 years ago when they won Euro.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Actually, he definitely should have, but he didn't.
No, he shouldn't have. If it's intentional or a billionth offense, then yes. If it's an accident and a first offense, then no.

Uruguay dude was an overhead kick, no clue what's happening behind him.

De Jong, open play, knows Alonso's going to contest for the ball, nails him in the heart.
He was looking at the ball and jumped up to control it, he didn't see Alonso until he was already in the air and about to fly into him iirc. (I honestly doubt he purposely kicked him in the chest)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No, he shouldn't have. If it's intentional or a billionth offense, then yes. If it's an accident and a first offense, then no.
He was aware the dude was right behind him, jumped way up in the air and kicked a head height ball, and almost took the defender's head off.

That's extremely reckless.

It's why two footed tackles from behind also get red cards, and studs up etc.

@ insekt: Lots of countries have amazing clubs but they have lots of foreign players. England has great clubs but a **** national team.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Lol at American people thinking they know something about football and English people thinking the referee was too lenient.

Look, we didn't deserve to win, if you don't score yourself you will never win, simple as that, but you can't deny the fact that the ref did a lousy job.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
He made mistakes. I'm just saying Holland can only really complain about the corner that wasn't given.

Laem

Smash Champion
are you ready for it
i have just deduced the single most genius thing this earth has ever conceived
The best team of this worldcup was, undoubtedly:

Switzerland

They came
They saw Spain, the cup winners
They subsequently conquered Spain
Andd they left
That's all they needed

So modest
So mighty

Ladies and gentlemen
They've been the true winners
I've been Inui

GOOD NIGHT!

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
He was aware the dude was right behind him, jumped way up in the air and kicked a head height ball, and almost took the defender's head off.

That's extremely reckless.

His intention was still the ball.

It's why two footed tackles from behind also get red cards, and studs up etc.
Two footed tackles from behind means you have no intention to play the ball, that's why it's a red card. I don't know what a stud up is.

Actually seeing this again it is a red, he knew the defender was going for the ball.
No he didn't, he was looking at the ball, not forward.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
He undoubtedly saw the guy jumping for the ball in his peripheral vision. You know the ball is going to be contested for, you can't go with legs flying all over the place especially above waist and shoulder height, it's just deemed dangerous play.

No matter how innocent your intentions are, dangerous play is well... dangerous.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think this argument explains the disgraceful mentality the Dutch had.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
He undoubtedly saw the guy jumping for the ball in his peripheral vision. You know the ball is going to be contested for, you can't go with legs flying all over the place especially above waist and shoulder height, it's just deemed dangerous play.

No matter how innocent your intentions are, dangerous play is well... dangerous.
Intention is everything.

I think this argument explains the disgraceful mentality the Dutch had.
Of course.
It's not like I was actually rooting for Spain because they're my favorite team and I bet on them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You can't pull that off with location set as Amsterdam!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
A yellow is a late tackle, dissent, a handball etc.

Decapitating and impaling are reds.

Anyway, well done Spain.

and honestly I have never despised any player ever as much as I hate Van Bommel. Seriously. Even Gary Neville doesn't even come close.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
You can't pull that off with location set as Amsterdam!
I'm not denying I'm dutch.. o_O

A yellow is a late tackle, dissent, a handball etc.

Decapitating and impaling are reds.
Not really, they're unlucky yellow cards, unless it's on purpose.

It's similar to how a handball is yellow, but on purpose is red.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Handball is a red only when it clearly denies a goal.

De Jong and Uruguay dude both knew the ball was being contested *shrugs*

My players of the tournament were Forlan, Coentrao and Schweinsteiger.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It's similar to how the guy from Urugay kicked a dutch player in the face, it was an accident.
Doesn't matter if it was an accident. Putting your leg up that high is a reckless move (which is why, under the rules, it gets a booking), and it is most definitely deserving of a yellow card. That kind of play really should have gotten a red.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Iniesta is the best player in the world.

:059:
Forlan did not play a better WC than Iniesta.

Nobody did.

He's the best player in the world.

The best player in a - once again - weak world cup.

Can't wait for the Champions League.

Where good football is shown

HYPE

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If you've ever played soccer yourself, you'll know that's not true.
It's called football man.

Forlan did not play a better WC than Iniesta.

Nobody did.

He's the best player in the world.

The best player in a - once again - weak world cup.

Can't wait for the Champions League.

Where good football is shown

HYPE

True, but Uruguay were an average team pretty much lead all the way by Forlán. His ability to take his team all the way is what I think got him the Ballon d'Or although quite frankly I think it should've been Iniesta's.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Doesn't matter if it was an accident. Putting your leg up that high is a reckless move (which is why, under the rules, it gets a booking), and it is most definitely deserving of a yellow card. That kind of play really should have gotten a red.
Because it's an accident, it's yellow.

It's called football man.
American boards.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Also, De Jong's foul was quite clearly intentional. I mean, did he intend to hit the ball with his foot from Alonso's head but was unaware that he could hurt him in the process? That doesn't make sense. Even if he was just being "stupid", it's still 100% his responsibility to avoid such a predictable foul. It's not wrong to call it intentional.

But then again I already thought Puyol's first foul should've been a red card already. Quite obviously, Webb made poor decisions but in the end Spain deserved to win.

How symptomatic for the world cup that the two strongest teams - the finalists - were both playing far below their possibilities. Half of the dutch team was far from their best and Van Persie, Kuyt and De Jong were out of shape pretty horribly. I also expected a lot more from Torres and Alonso on the spanish side and Xavi's performances in the Chamions League this season were a lot better too. David Silva also failed to make an impact.

What a shame

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Referees can't judge whether something is intentional or not reliably though, they should only judge what happened and De Jong's attempt to get the ball was more appropriate for kick boxing.

Torres :(

Alonso getting stabbed in the heart :(

Arbeloa and Reina = players of the tournament.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dirk Kuyt is ******** and that was a vintage performance from him.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
lol Dirk. At the end of the game he was just over the moon that he saw and hugged Reina, Torres, Arbeloa and Alonso.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
That kick to the heart was seriously rough.

Also the amount of yellows in that match was beyond silly.

My friend just won a cool 550 euro because he put bets on all the current top goal scorers to be the top.Since they all drew he won all the bets.

The drinks were on him after that.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Also, De Jong's foul was quite clearly intentional. I mean, did he intend to hit the ball with his foot from Alonso's head but was unaware that he could hurt him in the process? That doesn't make sense. Even if he was just being "stupid", it's still 100% his responsibility to avoid such a predictable foul. It's not wrong to call it intentional.
I don't even think he saw Alonso, he was trying to control the ball coming from high, bad decision given how it turned out, but still unintentional.

But I guess given how rough it was the ref could've given a red card (ruining the game in the first 5 minutes).

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
This thread was good while it lasted, shout out to everyone that made it worthwhile.

A big thank you to Slhoka for the prediction tournament organisation. Round of applause for the man.

...and thank you to all the American users for their horrible terminology.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
A big shoutout to all Euros who came together and argued amongst each other as we let our biases get in the way of all rational thought and reason, don't forget that one.

This is why I love football.

It's the only thing that can make even a 20/20 visioned individual completely ****ing blind to the obvious.

Until 4 years from now!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Okay, in retrospect, Spain deserved the win. But my nationalistic side still wanted to see a Dutch win :(.

Plus Spain just has a good team this cup and last Euro cup.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Arguing for your country is what you're meant to do.

I'd never think less of a football fan that does that.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Because it's an accident, it's yellow.
Sorry, but this isn't true.

According to the FIFA Laws of the Game:
"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred inside the offender’s penalty area).
"

Putting your leg up that high and kicking a guy in the chest is a send-off worthy offense.

Top Bottom