• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Nah, MK. Ain't that the most commonly referred Dark Side? I mean it fits perfectly. "Give in to your anger" is upheld because you are frustrated with your main and you end up picking up MK to gradually replace your main. And no, I would never play Olimar because that means I would have to keep track of those little vegetables following me around. I will do no babysitting.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I figured... I thought you were going to drop wall-of-text post on things as simple as "go ahead if you'd like to" when I checked this thread back before your account was logged out or something.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Really late, but I felt an obligatory urge to say this.

Dang it, this tablet updating firefox deleted everything I was going to say.
But Firefox can't be updated. All you have to do is press up+special on your controller :l

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I see what you did there fox67890. Clever Fox :p By the way, while you were gone we took up like 4 pages of this thread lol.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Now, as for the business, Fox's range. is it better to be "up close and personal" or is it good to keep the distance in general? (I know, some characters like Olimar and those with grab ranges are not to be so eagerly approached or end up get grabbed) Does Fox have anything other than f-tilt and d-tilt (not good but still has some range) on spacing?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh ho, I am excited for what fox67890 has to say about this :p Well, I suppose b-air can also be used for spacing but not like Marth's f-air because Fox seems to not drift as much.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
um, not to interrupt discussion or anything, but how do you change a quote to a sig anyway? Never bothered to learn.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
like this?
EDIT: Nevermind, my sig is being stubborn again. Not showing and so on. Anyways you click " mark and then copy and paste I think.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I have changed the colors of my text into purple because it is one of my favorite colors. Besides, purple was a royal color for many countries.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I am flattered to have my post quoted on someone. Hmm, another way you can sig that thing would be click "reply" button and then there will be quote brackets showing up. And then you cut out unnecessary things inside that quote bracket and then copy and paste into sig. That could work too.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Well, yeah, but I've got it up already now. Also, I think your sig showing up has someting to do with the size of your post or what you post about. For example, I think if I post the word/ name Olimar, it'll work.
Edit: Nope, it won't :c

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Seems to work flawlessly on convo but I think the rule is 1 sig showing per person in a page or something. Because I noticed that if you post second time in that page, sig won't show.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I think I'm too addicted to Smashboards. I spend more time here than I do playing lol. And in like a month I made about 150 posts not including PM's.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Now, as for the business, Fox's range. is it better to be "up close and personal" or is it good to keep the distance in general? (I know, some characters like Olimar and those with grab ranges are not to be so eagerly approached or end up get grabbed) Does Fox have anything other than f-tilt and d-tilt (not good but still has some range) on spacing?
Oh ho, I am excited for what fox67890 has to say about this :p Well, I suppose b-air can also be used for spacing but not like Marth's f-air because Fox seems to not drift as much.
Teehee~

But seriously, it depends.
It's more of measuring risk vs reward. Do you think you'll benefit more in a certain MU camping, or "going in"?
For instance, there are characters where it's generally wise to spend a bunch of time camping, such as Lucario, pika, ICs, and Ganon.
But on the other end, it might just be a good idea to go straight in against characters that are easy to combo (which might include characters that are wise to camp).
It's important to do both in every MU though, just one more that than other in different MUs. Take Snake for example. Sure, you can camp him actively. But once you land a hit, you really have to ride the momentum all the way through (imo).

...That probably sounds confusing.
I'll put it this way. Imo, perhaps the number one underestimated thing about Fox is his combo ability. His camping ability is also good, however.
As for which one you should chose, just ask yourself which is more beneficial in a certain situation.
For instance, you'll see TKD camp in matches. But once he lands a single hit, he rides momentum really hard, and gets a massive damage output (watch this for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8cX1zpWbdo)
Nakat, on the other hand, camps much more than TKD does. Even after he lands a hit, you'll often see him going back to camping, even if an attack string might be available. I suppose this strategy might be more safer, but at the cost of a slower damage output over time.

I guess it's really a player's decision at a given moment in time. Do what you think benefits you the most at the given time (which might change vs different players and characters). You can change how much you camp from one moment to the next. Instead of continuing an attack string against, say Marth, you can also back off and camp, so that you won't randomly get dolphin slashed and killed :l

Personally, I generally camp...somewhat hard, but when I land a hit, I go straight in for a string usually (resembling TKD's way, I suppose). There are multiple styles to choose from though. Do what feels comfortable and works is the point I guess ._.

Fox's best tool for spacing is mobility imo. Sounds simple, but it's true. I believe Sheik is the same way.

On second thought... I don't even know if this wall of text even answered your question >.>

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
My good sir, I think it answered the question. I remember reading somewhere you can space with projectiles. Though I must ask you this... How about Mario? It seems you cannot camp forever but then you cannot really approach him from the air and it seems like momentum is always on Mario's side. I played a Mario main today and all I could do to put my situation back to neutral was to shield grab him and punishing with fsmash and lasering for mix up.
Oh, by the way, I think rolling approach kind of worked today and I landed few SH Bair FF also. Much better than last week. But then my MK did way better against the person I played next even though I am a Fox main lol.

EDIT: Though Mario match was fairly close. I ended up shifting some momentum to my side and get some non-usmash kills in.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
But then my MK did way better against the person I played next even though I am a Fox main lol.
Yeah, usually if you have what it takes to main Fox you can usually main MK, it happens to me too.
And I hated playing Mario, then I loved the MU, and now I hate it again lol.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Yeah you should play grounded and don't let him turn it into an air fight. Shield grabbing is good, after that b-throw, or f-throw to reset camping, or get him offstage if you can. Also, he lacks reliable finishers, so don't sweat it when you get to about 110% or so.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Well, shield grabbing can only do so much if he figures out then I am done for. I did use some dash attack and ff n-air. Don't know what will be the most effective way. Punishing his whiffs with fsmash also can be hard at times.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Gotta be careful with ff n-air. You can be punished really easily. But if Mario pulls out his cape in the middle of your recovery, it's like, "lol, you die..."

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
My com. is going so slow now...slower than normal lol. Anyway, it's not foolish, it's learning from your mistakes.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
lol I don't know, I guess either he was lucky or I wasn't mixing up when I am getting back on the stage. But that surely turned things around for me I think. But still took him to the last stock at high percentages.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I think switching between here and PM's is confusing my computer (or perhaps making it crankier(?)).Can we stick to PM's?

Top Bottom