• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Uh, anyways, I've been watching them videos and it seems like SHTL really does make some difference. Especially against Snake. In vids I watched, Foxes that do SHDL seems to put themselves in a little disadvantageous situation when playing against Snake. Unless they get second laser as silent laser all the time, I see that grenades are more likely to reach Fox and then explode. Well, I gotta say, SHTL is really important. Also, has anyone watched vids of Jill from Japan? He recently outplaced Yui in Piosuma back in January 27 or something. He, at times, approaches with rolls. How effective can roll approach be? Has anyone tried that as mix up?
Idk about rolls. They're risky, so I'd think negative of them. I haven't watched Jill though, or really any vids from recent Apex. I gotta do that sometime...

But about SHTL...
Imo, the quality of which laser tech to use goes like this
1) SHSL
2)SHTL
3)SHDL

SHSL grants a lot of mobility, which is very important. If there mid range, I'd use this.
SHTL grants more damage output, but at the cost of mobility and it requires more commitment. If they're further away, I'd use this.
SHDL on the other hand... I never use. For two reasons
1) SHTL is easier to do once you have it mastered. Timing the silent laser for a SHDL is somewhat tricky
2) SHDL and SHTL, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, actually takes the same amount of commitment and reduces pretty much the same amount of mobility. Might as well use SHTL since you'll be getting an extra laser that is definitely silent.

lol triple post. Did not even realize that.
Anyways, here is the vid about grab release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqWHlhan2w
I can immediately pummel if I use shield grab and rapidly tab A but I cannot immediately pummel if I use my grab button for some reason. May be this is Classic Controller Pro thing? Can you pull it off using grab button only not shield+a?
As long as you grab>immediate pummel, you should be good. I don't use classic controller though. On gcc, I personally just tap Z quick twice (first time for grab, second time for pummel). If you do it quick enough, you'll buffer the pummel. I made a video with a short section on it. I think I already posted it, but here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbsVbRIFlU
I'm to lazy to link it to the grab release section
Ok so I NEEEEEEED help on the Diddy MU for Saturday, do you know anything about it? Should I play grounded or aerial? Good CPs?
There are also a few banana combos in there as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbsVbRIFlU
Do you know how to catch bananas? Once you shield a thrown banana, hop out of shield towards the banana and press Z when you're in the air. You should catch it that away. Do be aware that Diddy has some mixups that make catching bananas that away somewhat risky, but its good to know. To busy to post further info atm
Zelda and Wario are good team characters btw~

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Thanks Fox!
Here's the vid of Jill the Japanese (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpxejbrSr3c In this vid, you can see him using rolls to approach at times.
I agree with your assessment of lasers. I mostly use SHTL and SHSL (silent laser of course is a little hard to get but working on it). Personally, I think SHTL helps Fox against Snake.
And thanks for your tip, that's what I should do too I guess. I stopped tapping grab button twice for some reason.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Only watched the first two mins because I'm still busy >.>

Honestly though, the rolls looked really ugly. I wouldn't do them, personally.

...I think I do remember TKD once saying that they're good to use every once in a blue moon to keep your opponent on their toes by 'giving' yourself more options against MK. Either way, I think they should be used sparingly, especially forward roll.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I know that rolling can be easily punished because the punishment is as simple as smashing to where opponent will end up. I would use this as no more than a mix up. Possible things from these rolls seem to be roll->grab/utilt/smash.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, but if rolling gets common, any good players will recognize it and punish the rolling. Heck, even I can punish rolls. Oh and you are early(?)

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Yeah this was one of my big problems at my first tourney. And I'm not really early because it's ten in the morning here.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I guess, but I never see people online here that much when it's like 10:53 or something. Anyways, I just hope I won't be in a tunnel vision again.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Dang it, this tablet updating firefox deleted everything I was going to say. Anyways, the class begun but it is ok for me to talk here :p I envy you sir though. I had mine 3 weeks ago.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Yeah it gives me lot of time to practice for a tourney this weekend, I think you already knew about that, but I have like no real people to play with so it's mostly CPU's :c

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
99 stock match with level 1/3 Snake like M2K or ZeRo? I don't know if I should do that too. Also my roommates are busy playing MvC3 occupies TV all the time. I should just get a Wii and a TV for myself.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I have no opinion about this CPU vs. Wifi discussion. Personally, I prefer CPU because it is lagless to face but I also think Wifi provides good practice. But if you lag too severely or disconnect all the time, I would face and practice with low level CPUs imagining what could real people do. Or watch vids in Youtube.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
My computer hates me enough to make watching Youtube vids a challenge...CPU's are all I have, but usually I go to a tourney like once a month or so. I've got two this month.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
LOL, what a complicated relationship you have with your computer. And tourney once a month? You take bus to get there or someone driving you?

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Usually my aunt driving me and then leaving and spending all day at a shopping mall or something. This next one is only like my third tourney though.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
My first tourney was actually a regional, all I really learned here is that Peach's dominate me for some reason, in singles and doubles.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
But you did not play Fox there if my memory serves me correct? I don't know much but Peach is still annoying to fight against.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I went mostly went Fox until a Peach 3-stocked me in singles lol. But even when I went MK, I did bad. Ironically, I didn't go Ness against any Peach, but guess who that particular Peach was knocked into Loser's by? Shaky.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Technically, I'm only new to competitive Smash. I've played 64 since 2004 IIRC. Never played Melee, though. And I think I've been playing Brawl since December 2010.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's what I meant, new to competitive scene. Well, I cannot be considered competitive since I am not active in terms of tourney going.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I might actually consider competitive 64. But my brother (a good Mario) has quit playing and probably has gotten bad since then.Me and my brother do make a good team in that game, however.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I know nothing about 64 Fox. Heck, I know nothing about 64 except that there's this person called Isai(?) saying "don't get hit".

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
64's realy fun. At times, it feels even more fun than Brawl. And Fox is the third best character in that game (second IMO). In that game, I main Fox and Ness, and second Kirby and Samus. Against certain characters/ people, Samus is my best character despite her being the worst character in that game lol.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Well, I watched suitemates play 64 Smash Bros like last September or so and Samus seemed better. Though it seems like Pikachu was there to own everyone. To be honest with you, I doubt I would have played Fox in 64 if I played. Well, from what I see, Samus has been bad all along.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Pikachu is the best character. His MU's are like MK's, but better, he doesn't lose or have evens.
And I hate to say this, but 64 Fox may be more fun than Brawl.
Samus and Kirby are. Ness isn't though because of double jump cancel, rising aerials are actually impossible IIRC.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I don't know, I enjoy Fox as it is in Brawl. Probably if I play P:M, I will try Spacies first, exception of Falco because I really dislike him. Heard Melee Fox is technical or something. I am sure I can handle it eventually.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Melee Fox is really technical because of shine combos and stuff. Never played P:M, But I'll probably go for Fox and Ness (can't let them go), and maybe Ike.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Fox/Wolf will be my potential P:M main if I get to play P:M at my home but it's so unlikely because my Wii is a black one and I don't think I have old wiimotes. Hmm, watching some vids made me wonder how would Fox do against ZSS in a high level play. Also another thing I am wondering is the movement fluidity. I wonder how higher level players can move around so fast.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I love the ZSS MU. It surprisingly comes so naturally to me. I've never lost to one in singles, and only lost to one I think in doubles.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Sometimes it is, but my shield timing is as good as my reflector timing and I punish her alot. Also I've never been caught in a d-smash infinite XD

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I guess it's because Fox is faster than ZSS? The reason why you have never been caught in a d-smash infinite. If only Fox didn't crouch when I want to get the reflector out... I am yet to try what kind people of this forum suggested because I have not gotten a chance to play.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
When you get to play, try this: stand on a platform lie BF's, and shine. If you drop through before shining, you're pressing b slightly late. If you don't drop through, I dunno what it is.

Top Bottom