• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

February 8th, 2014 - Y-Town Throwdown I - Melee/PM - Feat. Mango, S0ft, Abate - Youngstown, OH

What should the side event for Y-Town Throwdown I be?

• Crew Battles (any size)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Low-Tier Tournament

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Project M (would need setups)

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
..............Wait im not the only smash player in youngstown I tried to get something organized years ago with brawl+ I can forsure bring 4 more people to this, I attended ysu in 2012 but i never would of guest someone would throw a pm tourney...I can bring a wii/melee/ and project m btw if anyone wants to private message me they can been a minute since i been on here..

..almost forgot..we need turbo mode bi weeklies lol thats the true way to play smash
YSU is starting, slowly, to grow a nice little scene. We got a lot of new players, including myself, BAPS, Amalio, and more guys who aren't really online much. We also got the old favorites (Kitty, Pat, Get Low, Jwnz) back from the dead. And I'm thinking about starting a Smash club on campus, but that is still in the early phases. I'm really excited for smash at YSU in the future. :bee:

Get Low

Smash Ace
..............Wait im not the only smash player in youngstown I tried to get something organized years ago with brawl+ I can forsure bring 4 more people to this, I attended ysu in 2012 but i never would of guest someone would throw a pm tourney...I can bring a wii/melee/ and project m btw if anyone wants to private message me they can been a minute since i been on here..

..almost forgot..we need turbo mode bi weeklies lol thats the true way to play smash
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NEOHBURGH/

There's NorthEast Ohio's/Pittsburgh's Melee Facebook page. Join it and become acquainted with us.
Also, you and FOUR MORE PEOPLE? I don't know who you guys are, but we need to play soon.
Youngstown Melee be poppin'.

By the way, get out of here with that turbo mode crap. Turbo mode is literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Just play the actual game.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Update: This may not apply to most of you, but all YSU students will now get their venue fee waived! Just show your ID at check-in.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Really excited for this announcement!

YSU Smash is proud to announce that we have official streamers for Y-Town Throwdown: Smash Studios!! They will be coming down to the event and helping out with the streaming. Make sure you give them a follow on Twitch at http://twitch.tv/smashstudios! We're really excited to have them working with us!

For those wondering, there will also still be secondary streams, at channels which will be announced in the future. Get hype!!

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Another bump. Sorry yall.

IMPORTANT TO ALL PEOPLE PLANNING TO ENTER PM:

We're requiring pre-registration for PM. You will still pay entry fee at the door, however pre-registration WILL BE REQUIRED. Just fill out this form and you're all good. Any questions can be directed to either myself or Get Low.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1moadxnPWTjpm4Z2wWZBLeXaFM8ZbsbPjq_n3BPAdJBU/viewform

NOTE: We are capping this event at 32 entrants due to time constraints, so sign up quickly!

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably be at this. For people from Youngstown, I went to BHS and now attend OSU. Hope to meet some fun people and have a good time.

Thrilllho

Smash Rookie
I dont play melee or brawl because im not good at them, but i still love to watch them. i will be coming to this with a crt and a 64 setup in hopes that a couple ppl will want to play 64. me and my buddy are actually pretty decent if anyone wants to money match.

Thrilllho

Smash Rookie
OP updated with a poll: What should the side event for Y-Town Throwdown be? You can vote for any of the options listed, or post on this thread if you want something else.
i think you should seriously consider hosting a small 64 tournament. it will make it worth my while to come out to this....or at the very least, advertise 64 friendlies or money matches?

Get Low

Smash Ace
I dont play melee or brawl because im not good at them, but i still love to watch them. i will be coming to this with a crt and a 64 setup in hopes that a couple ppl will want to play 64. me and my buddy are actually pretty decent if anyone wants to money match.
i think you should seriously consider hosting a small 64 tournament. it will make it worth my while to come out to this....or at the very least, advertise 64 friendlies or money matches?
Um dude, I'm not trying to break your spirit, but Freky and I are already strapped for time and space as it is. We already have enough events going on as it is, and we need the space we do have for Melee and PM setups. Freky mentioned something to me about possibly holding a Smash 64 tournament in the future, but for this one we'd appreciate it if you didn't bring Smash 64. We'd still love for you to come, though!

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Freky mentioned something to me about possibly holding a Smash 64 tournament in the future
There is actually a big 64 contingent at YSU. I've been thinking about starting one up for a while. But yeah, for this one, we have limited space, and we need all the space we can for Melee/PM. Still love for you to come down!

Thrilllho

Smash Rookie
ah thats ok. ysu is a 2 hour drive from me, and there is not a real reason for me to come without any 64 going on. is the venue really that small that there couldnt be one 64 setup in the corner or something?

Get Low

Smash Ace
ah thats ok. ysu is a 2 hour drive from me, and there is not a real reason for me to come without any 64 going on. is the venue really that small that there couldnt be one 64 setup in the corner or something?
It's not that the venue is small, it's just that Ohio Melee tournaments have been skyrocketing in attendance for the past few months, which limits space.
I encourage you to keep playing Smash 64 because that game is awesome, but the fact of the matter is that the scene for that game is tiny.
Therefore, I encourage you also to pick up Melee. It's ridiculously fun, it has the biggest scene of all the smash games, and it just keeps growing and growing. Also, you'll have a much easier time finding people near where you live to play Melee with rather than Smash 64. I know it's difficult to get the hang of at first (I kept trying, failing, and going back to Brawl in the beginning, haha), but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Actually, never mind this post.

Nice to see WNY making it out. I've missed Rochester smash terribly ever since leaving. Now I've a reason to go.

Last edited:

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
It's not that the venue is small, it's just that Ohio Melee tournaments have been skyrocketing in attendance for the past few months, which limits space.
I encourage you to keep playing Smash 64 because that game is awesome, but the fact of the matter is that the scene for that game is tiny.
Therefore, I encourage you also to pick up Melee. It's ridiculously fun, it has the biggest scene of all the smash games, and it just keeps growing and growing. Also, you'll have a much easier time finding people near where you live to play Melee with rather than Smash 64. I know it's difficult to get the hang of at first (I kept trying, failing, and going back to Brawl in the beginning, haha), but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.
I will be attending primarily for Melee, but for all it's worth: I'd absolutely enter 64 singles and MM anyone in 64. I'd also probably be able to convince 1-3 other people from Columbus to come if 64 happens. I totally appreciate what you guys are already doing, and just wanted to express that the demand for 64 is there.

Thrilllho

Smash Rookie
it's not that ive never play melee or brawl, i grew up with all of them, and follow the melee scene somewhat closely. it's just that ive always just preferred the play style of 64. more simplistic= more fun to me. i know the scene is small, ive stuggled to find like 4 tournaments over the past 2 years, i was just hoping this could be an event where i met a few 64 players while they werent taking place in melee or if they were knocked out of a tournament.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
I'm posting confirming the presence of myself, JesiahTEG (his first tournament after un-retiring), and three others from Rochester, possibly more. We could have 3 cars making it out there if we can get the logistics sorted out.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Couple of updates:

First of all, we changed the actual room inside of the venue to the Chestnut Room. It's a much larger room, with much more space... and a large space on the front wall for a PROJECTOR SCREEN. Let me tell you from experience from going to events in the room; top 8 is going to look amazing on that wall.

Second, because of the awesome work of one Josh Lozar (CoffeeMug), we got some SICK overlays and logos for the event. Much better than the crappy logo/overlays I had. If you're bringing a recording setup, I'd greatly appreciate it if you used any of the overlays he's provided for us. Comes in two different colors! Just click on them to preview/download 'em:

Black, two cameras
Black, one camera
Black, no camera
Red, two cameras
Red, one camera
Red, no camera

Last edited:

mr.magik

Smash Cadet
side note, i really hope we can get a crew battle going over project M. not that project M is bad or anything but i feel a crew battle would actually change up the formula of the tourny for a bit. watching a good crew battle always hypes the crowd.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
side note, i really hope we can get a crew battle going over project M. not that project M is bad or anything but i feel a crew battle would actually change up the formula of the tourny for a bit. watching a good crew battle always hypes the crowd.
We MAY (keyword MAY) do a crew battle if we have enough time after doubles. Both the PGH and NEOH camps have been clamoring for one.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Ugh, just so everyone knows, anyone who signed up for PM after the 27th is not guaranteed a spot in the bracket. People are still registering like crazy, and it's completely full. People are going to be mad when I tell them they were too late and fml.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
FYI, we reached the PM player cap a little bit ago. We can't guarantee anyone who registered after January 27th a spot in the PM bracket. However, you can still sign up, because if someone who signed up does not show, we will go to the next closest person in the sign up sheet based on the time they signed up.

Last edited:

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Could you just list the first 32 players that registered for PM in the OP. Would save everyone alot of trouble, including yourself.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
me and my bro is bring atleast twenty bucks to MM. and sad news about PM. i didnt know there was a sign up for it. i was really hoping crew battles would win out
We should do one for $5 in PM. I play Melee a lot but I'm new to PM.

Jaiye! No way dude, can't wait to see you! If anything, we should do one for $5 just in honor of WNY legacy haha...But either way friendlies at some point :)

Top Bottom