• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite rapper(s), rap group(s)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
The title should be self-explanatory. However, it would be nice if you could justify (in a couple of words) why said group is your fav, or one of your favs.

Also, it would be even better if you posted a link to a youtube video/song made by the rapper/ group in question.

Me? I'm addicted to Das EFX, simply because of their great flows. Meaning that their lyrics' syllables are in harmony with the beat; meaning you could actually use the lyrics themselves as the beat and it would still sound coherent.

Das EFX is awesome, just listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dx0iTQlhzg

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Seems like I'm the only hip-hop head around here... but hey, I'm going to give you all the benefit of the doubt and bump this, just once.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Gotta give the nod to all the old groups,

Tribe Called Quest
Souls of Mischief
RunDMC

favorite new rapper would have to be Lupe I believe he's filling the void that is true hip-hop at this point.

Also giving the nod to Akrobatic and Atmosphere.

rhan

Smash Hero
Wayne - For his punchlines. Every time I heard something sick, I would just be like....DAAAAAYYYYUM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePRNJtJQXw

Nas - Cause he's just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN15OoF8cPY

Jeezy - I really can put a specific reason why I like his music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-L3PQlwlAw

Game - His flow is just so sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqtyMijed68

Tupac - Was the greatest! Every song just had me hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av_ftCIrc8

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Dr. Dre
Ice Cube
NWA
Xzibit
Snoop Dogg

nothin new school.. I absolutely hate new "rap."

When I first listened to s*** like Lil Wayne, I thought he was ok but then I just realized that there are better songs than the ones he makes. All his songs are about material things and it gets old. Then I remember some songs that he made where he uses random words just to make it rhyme. Then songs like "Got Money" and "A Milli" are just too f***** annoying..

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
i pretty much like all the rappers/groups that are before 2000. there are some artist i like after that year though.

3x krazy
Brotha Lynch hung
Nas
Andre Nickatina
Mac Dre
Mike Jones (just something about his stuff that keeps me listening...)
Goodie Mob.
Tribe Called Quest

i used to like tech n9ne until someone told me he did a song with the kotton mouth kings. why would he do such a thing )':

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
hmm.. let see here...

Lil' Jon (YEAH!)
Ying Yang Twins
Lil' Wayne
Ludacris
Paul Wall (awesome)
Twista (fast rapper btw)
Young Jeezy
Lil' Flip
Bun B & Pimp C (UGK)
Zero
Mike Jones
Jay-Z

these rappers are mostly from the south with the exception of Twista and Jay-Z, other than those two I really don't like rapper such as Kanye West or G-Unit, I don't know why I guess it's just there style, I find these rapper have a certain rhytm that I find attrated to that I enjoy.

PhillipthaGoober

Smash Journeyman
Triple 6 Mafia
Lil' Flip
Cam'ron
The Game
Juvenile
B.G.
Biggie Smalls
Big Tymers
Dr. Dre
Young Buck
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony

Peek~

Smash Lord
GZA
The D.O.C (First album)
DMX (First album)
Wu-Tang Clan

That's pretty much it

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
these rappers are mostly from the south with the exception of Twista and Jay-Z, other than those two I really don't like rapper such as Kanye West or G-Unit, I don't know why I guess it's just there style, I find these rapper have a certain rhytm that I find attrated to that I enjoy.
Yeah, I generally prefer southern rap as well. Kanye is ok (overhyped times infinity)... Lupe is awesome, I got both his cds. But I was never really interested in many of the NY rappers (not that I dislike them or anything).
Cali stuff is pretty cool though, they got Ice Cube and the hyphy movement.

Some people I can't stand are some of those random snap music guys (DFB is good though, and snap in general isn't bad it's just 'some' of those guys ruin everything), and Birdman... he doesn't even rap he just kinda talks.

Blackadder

Smash Master
1. Eminem
2. NWA
3. Dr. Dre
4. Eazy-E
5. Tupac

Though with Tupac I'm only just adding him to my list. I'm slow with music.
And no one's mentioned 50 Cent yet, right? Right!? RIGHT!?!

Good.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Fiddy's hilarious. I go rawr rawr like a dungeon dragon but I always keep my pistol so my pants ain't saggin'. Nice one, Mr Cent.

This is Drapht, an Australian rapper from Perth in WA. I'm not a huge fan of the Australian hip hop scene but I love this guy; his flow is amazing. All the songs on his myspace page (below) are great except maybe Falling. Drink Drank Drunk especially.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=64696934

And of course the darling child of Australian rap, The Hilltop Hoods. I'm interested to know; has anyone in the states heard of either of these acts?

http://www.myspace.com/hilltophoods

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
In order of preference:

Atmosphere - This encapsulates all I look for in a rap group. Poetic lyrics, unusual word usage, and beats that are more composed of musical instruments, rather than simple bass and treble, with some synth in for the h*ll of it. LINK.

Nujabes - A Japanese DJ that uses some of the most unusual beats you can imagine. LINK.

Outkast - 'Nuff said. You have to respect a guy who put himself in a cartoon, but still promotes B.O.B.

311 - I love these guys. They mix Electric Rock, Hip-Hop, and Caribbean Jazz all in one. LINK.

Q-Unit - If you haven't heard of this project, you need to. LINK.

Tsutchie - Technically there's no "rap" in the group's tracks, but they're amazing sound surpasses words. LINK.

HaDag Nahash (lit. "Snake Fish") - An Israeli group. For the life of me, I can only find one song of theirs, but it's awesome even by itself: LINK. The lyrics are composed entirely of militant slogans that the group found on Israeli highway billboards.

• A Whole Generation Demands Peace
    Let Tsahal [the Israel Defense Forces] Win
    A Strong Nation Makes Peace
    Let Tsahal Play Hardball
    No Peace With Arabs
    Don't Give Them Guns
    Combat Is the Most, Bro
    Draft Everybody Exempt Everybody
    There's No Despair in the World
    The Territories Are Here!

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
: ( no one here mentioned the KRS ONE

none of you can even call yourself oldschool without mentioning a name like his.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
: ( no one here mentioned the KRS ONE

none of you can even call yourself oldschool without mentioning a name like his.
Yeah yeah, MC's act like they don't know. See what I did there?

Now, I'm a mention my favorite, favorite emcee:

Behold:

R.A. the Rugged Man

He's the only one who has me constantly pressing rewind just to listen to his verses. Oh, and he's also the charming guy that I'm using as my avatar on these forums.

Here's a song he did with Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks (I think I posted it a while ago in another thread):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r0KpWMNxnM

R.A. raps in second. Just listen to him ripping this track to shreds, stitching it back together and murdering it again just cuz he can.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Meh, MF Doom's voice sonds kinda... uninteresting. I loved his MM... FOOD album though.
DJ Shadow
You should listen to Dr. Octagon - Waiting List (DJ Shadow/Automator Mix).

Anyone heard of NY OIL? I heard his infamous Lynch song and it's not bad... it stirred up some controversy though... you can youtube him if you're interested.

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Meh, MF Doom's voice sonds kinda... uninteresting. I loved his MM... FOOD album though.

You should listen to Dr. Octagon - Waiting List (DJ Shadow/Automator Mix).

Anyone heard of NY OIL? I heard his infamous Lynch song and it's not bad... it stirred up some controversy though... you can youtube him if you're interested.
I like DOOM because of madvillian(Best Collab ever) plus he's got one of the sickest flows .. and I've heard good **** about Dr. octagon.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yo! Another hip-hop head! Awesome. Well, I have to say that Eminem is my favourite rapper. Hands down. I don't really have any particular favourites besides him, but I do listen to a bunch of different songs by various artists. I also LOVE instrumentals. They're amazing, some of them. I could just listen to the beat(s) for hours on end. Yeah, rap is awesome, just not the typical dumb stuff that comes out nowadays, which consists of artists with no talent rapping about the same old thing, and Soulja Boy... D:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
5. Tupac

Though with Tupac I'm only just adding him to my list.
gosh, I totally forgot about Tupac, how could I have forgotten to mention him *slams head against desk*

D.J. Shadow is also good, but not as good as Jay-Z who will forever be the best there was, the best there will be.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I think Jay-Z's ok. He should've stayed retired though, his new albums aren't as good.
Even though he bites some lyrics but I GUESS that's ok... atleast he gave a reason

Here's another guy who I think's pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpP-8tJ-9Js
His name is Busdriver and what he does is very abstract to say the least... It's not some deep serious stuff, but entertaining nonetheless and funny.

Oh yeah, and old Busta Rhymes (before the Big Bang). His videos are hilarious too like Gimme Some Mo.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I think Jay-Z's ok. He should've stayed retired though, his new albums aren't as good.
Even though he bites some lyrics but I GUESS that's ok... atleast he gave a reason

Oh yeah, and old Busta Rhymes (before the Big Bang). His videos are hilarious too like Gimme Some Mo.
Gimme some mo's awesome... I'll listen to Bus Driver eventually.

Here's a new guy (or as far as I can tell he's new):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dV943OSA4U&feature=related

His name's Bekay, and I think he's pretty good. The diss itself is deadly... Uncle Murda got murked!! :laugh:

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
In order of preference:

Atmosphere - This encapsulates all I look for in a rap group. Poetic lyrics, unusual word usage, and beats that are more composed of musical instruments, rather than simple bass and treble, with some synth in for the h*ll of it. LINK.

Nujabes - A Japanese DJ that uses some of the most unusual beats you can imagine. LINK.

Outkast - 'Nuff said. You have to respect a guy who put himself in a cartoon, but still promotes B.O.B.

311 - I love these guys. They mix Electric Rock, Hip-Hop, and Caribbean Jazz all in one. LINK.

Q-Unit - If you haven't heard of this project, you need to. LINK.

Tsutchie - Technically there's no "rap" in the group's tracks, but they're amazing sound surpasses words. LINK.

HaDag Nahash (lit. "Snake Fish") - An Israeli group. For the life of me, I can only find one song of theirs, but it's awesome even by itself: LINK. The lyrics are composed entirely of militant slogans that the group found on Israeli highway billboards.

• A Whole Generation Demands Peace
    Let Tsahal [the Israel Defense Forces] Win
    A Strong Nation Makes Peace
    Let Tsahal Play Hardball
    No Peace With Arabs
    Don't Give Them Guns
    Combat Is the Most, Bro
    Draft Everybody Exempt Everybody
    There's No Despair in the World
    The Territories Are Here!
Yes, nujabe and outkast
for me its:
D12
Danger doom (Danger mouse and MF Doom)
The roots
Gnarls barkley (he raps some times)
Gorillaz
Normadic Massive
Lupe
Common

there was more can't remember

Blackadder

Smash Master
I'm a huge Eminem fan, but for some reason I've never really gotten too deep into D12. I've no real idea why. I've been meaning to look into them much more heavily one day, but for the past few years I've always sort of let them linger in the background.

I do really enjoy Bizzare's lines though. :laugh:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Has to be Joe Budden.

Flow, charisma, punchlines, material, story telling. The man is a monster.

"They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower."

Jeeez!!!

Blackadder

Smash Master
Have you heard his earlier stuff from like '95 before he blew up?
Fu**ing Backstabber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPfVIsmzZ70
Biterphobia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ru-5_ELBU&feature=related

These were back when he was called M+M.
Heh, I've heard a bit of that stuff. I know I've heard F*cking Backstabber before. It's interesting... really different from his later style.

I like the speed of his lyrics in all that early stuff. I wish he'd start rapping that fast and that raw again.

I really miss his "Slim Shady" stuff.

Top Bottom