• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite rapper(s), rap group(s)

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Im not too into old school. I used to listen to rap all time but now ive changed and the only tolerable rapper is young jezzy cause hes the best.

and lil wayne is mas annoying

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Apart from Joe Budden listen to alot of Jadakiss aswell. And old school LOX joints.

Jay-Z before Beyonce.

Wu Tang Clan.

B.I.G.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yes, nujabe and outkast
for me its:
D12
Danger doom (Danger mouse and MF Doom)
The roots
Gnarls barkley (he raps some times)
Gorillaz
Normadic Massive
Lupe
Common

there was more can't remember
I don't really think you could classify Gorillaz as "rap". The actual people that make up the group never actually rap, but they often have other, actual rappers featured in some of their songs.

For some reason I never got into Danger Doom...but I can't believe I forgot to add Normadic Massive and Common in there. Props man.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Danger Doom
Dangermouse's Grey Album is awesome. He took the Beatles' White Album and mixed it with Jay-Z's Black Album.
Im not too into old school.
Me either. I listen to a lot of crunk/buck, beat-people-up-to music... mostly southern.
Memphis Rap (Three 6/Hypnotize Minds, Prophet Posse, Evil Pimp), Some ATL (Lil Jon, Pastor Troy, Trillville/Lil Scrappy(lol... but mostly the joint album stuff like Some Cut and Neva Eva), T-Rock)... that kinda stuff.

But I enjoy and listen to all kinds though, that's just what I mainly listen to.

Also horrorcore.

and lil wayne is mas annoying
This. He's the most overhyped rapper next to Soulja Boy. Only his Hot Boys stuff and '99/00 was good... and Phone Home.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think you could classify Gorillaz as "rap". The actual people that make up the group never actually rap, but they often have other, actual rappers featured in some of their songs.

For some reason I never got into Danger Doom...but I can't believe I forgot to add Normadic Massive and Common in there. Props man.
Ya, i wasn't too sure but i put them up any way

4Serial

Smash Lord
I'm a huge Eminem fan, but for some reason I've never really gotten too deep into D12. I've no real idea why. I've been meaning to look into them much more heavily one day, but for the past few years I've always sort of let them linger in the background.

I do really enjoy Bizzare's lines though. :laugh:
D12 was great. Proof was my favourite out of all of them. He could have made it really far with his talent...
RIP Proof.
I like Ludacris because of his powerful voice. Eminem was crazy back in the day.

YourTooSlow

Smash Apprentice
One Man Army/One Be Lo (Binary Star)
Deltron
Mighty Souls/Heiro
Cunnin Linguists
Jedi Mind Tricks
Living Legends

i like alotta old school stuff like Fresh Prince Jazzy Jeff, MC Lyte, RunDMC,

Even some early 90's rap from Coolio to NWA.

Cant really stand what hip hop is becoming though.

Anything commercial that hits my ears nowadays generally only comes from Common, Mos (blackstar), and maybe even Nas.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
One Man Army/One Be Lo (Binary Star)
Deltron
Mighty Souls/Heiro
Cunnin Linguists
Jedi Mind Tricks
Living Legends

i like alotta old school stuff like Fresh Prince Jazzy Jeff, MC Lyte, RunDMC,

Even some early 90's rap from Coolio to NWA.

Cant really stand what hip hop is becoming though.

Anything commercial that hits my ears nowadays generally only comes from Common, Mos (blackstar), and maybe even Nas.
I agree with you, i also don't like the direction hipi hop has taken. Living legends are great, i haven't listen to those other guys but i will probably give em a try when i get the chance.

I use to like ludacris but he seem to change after he cut off his cornrows.

Reezy989

Smash Cadet
Im too lazy to list reasons why, but these rappers all get constant rotation for me

Jay-Z
Nas
Royce da 5'9" (wordplay and rhyme pattern are sick)
Common
Lupe
Jeezy
Freeway
Beanie Sigel.. **** I could go for days tho, im a hip hop head

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Royce da 5'9" (wordplay and rhyme pattern are sick)
I just discovered Royce Da 5'9 today... mostly because you just mentioned him and his name was interesting. He's pretty good, and I'm checking out more of his stuff.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I kinda frown upon new school rap. All of the old school stuff (Easy-E, Dre, Snoop, Pac & Biggie) are the best. Stuff now with the exception of Wayne and Kanye (and they still aren't all that) is too full of materialistic rhymes. Nobody cares that you have more money that me. Now I must admit that I like some of the new stuff, but those lame 1 hit wonders that talk about money, hos, respect, etc is what turns me off and makes me believe the rap game is going down the drain.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I hate rap, can stand their "stupid" rhyme.
I waited for somebody like this to come around, only I expected more of them.

First, Looocas, you're assuming that we care if you like rap music or not. Hint: we don't.

Second, if you don't have a favorite rapper or rap group, then why the **** are you posting here? Huh? What, you thought it would be clever? That it would add something to the topic?

-Get the **** out, and start your own love rap/hate rap topic that will end up locked.

Oh, and learn to write. Your sentence makes no sense. Maybe you should have added " 't " after "can", and maybe you should have put the quotes around "rhyme" instead of "stupid".

-But then again your post would still be useless, and moreover I can't write your stuff for you.

---------------

Now, on topic:

Here's an old song by Outsidaz. The beat is awesome IMO, and I'd call Young Zee's flow decent:

(beware, lots of profanity in the chorus, even for a rap song)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=n7C0iNLiTms

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I like my old school, mine are Run DMC, De La Soul, Sugar Hill gang, etc.

More recent rappers that listen to, are guys like Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, etc. I also listen to a lot of guys who aren't as big.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Joe Budden is The Truth!!!!!!!

Who Killed Hip Hop 1 & 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQC0rKl884
Who Killed Hip Hop 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxhFgoxwtE&feature=related

I said it before, the man is a monster!
Wow... I just listened to the whole **** song... and I'm speechless. Budden drops jewels the whole way. And he closed strong too.

Now here's a song by King Gordy: Horrorcore

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fJvlqyNKgHo

Gotta love his anger on the mic.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZc1dw4PVq0
Killa Klan Kaze ft. Lord Infamous (Hypnotize Camp Posse) - Don't Make Me Kill.

Also some darker music. It's by those Memphis guys I was talking about earlier (who I mainly listen to), just felt like sharing some.

King Gordy HORRORCORE
Pretty cool verses, not a fan of the hook though...
Some other horrorcore is Brotha Lynch and Ganksta N-I-P... sick people, talk about eating people and stuff. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBwku4PegY (seriously, listen to what he's saying)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, so don't kill me for this, but I'm interested: what exactly do some of these esoteric terms like "hook" and "flow"? I think I can maybe guess, but I'm clearly not as knowledgeable about this stuff as the rest of you.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Okay, so don't kill me for this, but I'm interested: what exactly do some of these esoteric terms like "hook" and "flow"? I think I can maybe guess, but I'm clearly not as knowledgeable about this stuff as the rest of you.
"Hook" is the chorus, usually. It's the bit of the song that's made to be the most catchy. The ear candy. Really, the bit that'll get the attention of the casual listener.

"Flow" is harder to describe with words for me... It's how the artists raps the lines. Fast, slow, hard, angry, sad, how it works with the beat...

If you hear Eminem's "The Way I Am" you get slower and more eratic "flow" than if you looked up "Ain't Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" which is very laid back and calm. I suck at describing!

So, anyway, who's into Cashis? I finally got 'round to hearing his EP. His gangsta talk to me is old and done. Move on man. The only song that's got me interested is "Ms Jenkins". It's a really cool idea, but it needs work, I think.

Cashis seems to have some ideas, but I think he needs to aim over the trired and true "guns and *****es" stuff. His flow seems a little off too, or is that just me?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Flow is the way the rapper rides the beat.

Take the A Millie tune and go hear all the remixes, and see all the contrasting flows.

One of my favourite Jadakiss bars....

"F*** riding the beat, n**** I parallel park on the track"

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
"Flow" is harder to describe with words for me... It's how the artists raps the lines. Fast, slow, hard, angry, sad, how it works with the beat...
On Urban Dictionary it has these definitions for flow
n. A rapper's ability to rhyme to phat beats in a skillful manner
A rappers ability to vocalize a rhythmic yet complex string rhymes that fit together in a logical and seamless manner.
I also think the beat plays a part in the flow (as in flow with the beat).
Some people don't even ride the beat at all and just flat out talk.
*cough* Birdman

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Kill you? I'm glad you asked! :bee:

The hook is simple enough, and has been described already.

The flow... well, I'd define the flow as the rythm of the words spoken by the rapper.

To actually rap, a person has to be consistent with his words' timing. That is why I envision a rap beat as a clock that helps to measure the cadence of words. In fact, the beat is to rap as the number of feet is to poetry.

Here's a song by Biggie Smalls rapping on a Preemo beat: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8VgDkzAZHs0

You should nod your head along with the beat: notice that in Biggie's case, almost every time, your nods will not only be "in tune" with the beat, but with the lyrics too.

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
I've got to say am a little disappointed nobody has mentioned Immortal Technique who actually brought me back into rap after a few years of obsecurity due s**tty rappers like Jeezy, Lil Wayne and 50 Cent.
Maybe people don't appreciate how meaningful and political most of his songs are like The 3rd World, Tell The Truth or even You Never Know. It was so refreshing to hear a rapper who wasn't boasting about his wealth or the hos they've got.

Other rappers/groups I like are:
2Pac
Thug Life
Outlawz
Bone Thugz 'N' Harmony
Nas
D12
NWA
Snoop Dogg (mainly his earlier stuff)

There's more but that's all I could think of just now

maximus

Smash Apprentice
For delivery (drama in voice), 2pac or Gil Scott Heron.

Ex:2pac-God Bless The Dead
Ex: Gil Scott Heron-No Knock

For lyrics, Big L.

Ex: Big L-Put it On

For delivery, lyrics, and "flow", Percee P.

Ex: Percee P-Percee P vs. Lord Finesse Improvisation (AMAZING)

nice1

Smash Lord
nas, jay-z, lupe, Tribe called quest, cypress hill, Nwa, slick rick, and a lot more but nas is my all time favorite. That dude has a mind and vocabulary out this world

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Canibus, Common, Jedi Mind Tricks (strictly for the production), M.F. Doom, Ghostface, GZA, Wu-Tang Clan, De La Soul, El-P, Mr. Lif, Aesop Rock, Lupe Fiasco, and Big Pun.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
The Beastie Boys are also good. Classic stuff right there.

And also, 50 cent used to be very good. Before he made Get Rich or Die Trying he was pretty solid (the last four tracks from on that album were actually from an older unreleased album. Since he got shot his record deal got cancelled).

How to Rob (Hilarious, he disses almost everyone): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuysVCJ7Ito

Life's on the Line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVguYtALEFA&feature=related

Ghetto Qu'ran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34hn-vgbTc

Blackadder

Smash Master
It's better than Encore, no doubt, but he's doing that *** Like That accent again, and rapping about all those random pop culture things.

It's better than his other recent stuff, but I'm not too fond of it. I guess I'm after the old Shady **** again. After all, he's having a Relapse right? Relapse to the classics, no?

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
It's better than his other recent stuff, but I'm not too fond of it. I guess I'm after the old Shady **** again. After all, he's having a Relapse right? Relapse to the classics, no?
Yeah, that's what it's supposed to be. We'll see if that's true soon enough -- by December.

Now here's another song I can't believe I didn't post. It's by Masta Ace, and it's called (with good reason) Beautiful:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=j9bZXevd-Ng

LISTEN TO IT!

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
You guys should listen to Slipped Into a Coma by Point Blank/SPC. It's tweleve minutes long but you can usually find a 4-minute cutoff version on
Limewire
(... I bought the real version on Amazon). Near flawless.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
Eazyaezyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyaezyeazy
eazyaezyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy
eazyeazyeazyeazyeazyeazy

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
For the first time in a while I'm actually excited about upcoming hip hop music.

Joe Budden, Royce da 5'9, Crooked I and Joell Ortiz are forming a group called Slaughterhouse. They've already released a couple of tracks, including Slaughterhouse which I posted before, and another called Onslaught. They're apparently working on an album.

I personally can't wait, four great artists collaborating to make what should be a monster of an album!

Aanyone else heard about this and is as equally anticipating their work as I am?

laki

Smash Apprentice
I been listening to Lupe Fiasco who I think is the best lyricist next Nas, Nas, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, Tech9, and Kanye.

Really the best out that group are Nas, Pac, and Biggie plus maybe Jay-Z and Eminem but I don't really listen to the last 2.

Heres Lupe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_ejhMKpt8

Nas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_IFAt8ka0

Pac http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JuArhpTB8

Biggie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsT8FaZnzdE

And Techa Ninna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfkLmkAZ9M

Top Bottom