• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest horizontal movement across stage?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
My question is basically what is the fastest form of horizontal movement across the stage for each character?

For example, if you hit your opponent from one side of the stage off the other side, and you need to get over there as soon as possible to edge guard, then what should you do?

I think some are obvious: (I think)
Falcon would dash.
G&W would wavedash.

Should Jigglypuff jump cause of her quick aerial speed?
Is Fox faster dashing or wavedashing? Marth? Some just aren't as clear to me.
Peach has a bunch of different ways to move across, floating, dashing, wavedashing... what about fox trotting or dash attacking (peach seems to move faster during her dash attack) I remember seeing Armada run across stage and she just seemed soooo slow, but is there actually a faster way?

I was thinking about researching the frame data, but I want to make sure no one else just knows before I look into this thoroughly.

Some possibilities:
Dashing
Wavedashing
Fox trotting
Jumping to use aerial mobility (but even then is it a bunch of SHs, FH's, double jumping?)
Side B's/dash attacks/special character specifics

Edit:
Run: Fox, Falcon, Sheik, Peach
Wavedash: Marth, Samus, ICs, Doc, Luigi, Mario, Yoshi, Ness, G&W, Mewtwo, Kirby
Not so sure: Falco, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Pikachu, DK, Link, Young Link, Zelda, Bowser, Pichu

Gea

Smash Master
Almost all characters' fastest option is dashing. Very few have quicker wavedashes. To answer your question, M2K probably knows.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Ice Climbers and Luigi would wavedash, I'm sure. Most everyone else would dash.
Actually, if I remember correctly, Falco's walk speed is faster than his dash speed, it only accelerates slower.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Many characters wavedash faster than they run.
I'd say only very fast runners (CF, Fox) or very slow wavedashers (Peach, Sheik) may be able to run faster.

There's not much running in BtT, but of the ones I've TASed that needed horizontal movement:
DrMario: wavedash
Peach: run
Yoshi: wavedash
CFalcon: run
Ness: wavedash
Kirby: wavedash
Marth: wavedash

edit: These are with TAS though, expect more characters to go into the "run" category when played by humans.
Also, some characters have alternate means of transportation =). I want to try something with Peach, but I need some item AR codes to make it worthwhile.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Many characters wavedash faster than they run.
I'd say only very fast runners (CF, Fox) or very slow wavedashers (Peach, Sheik) may be able to run faster.

There's not much running in BtT, but of the ones I've TASed that needed horizontal movement:
DrMario: wavedash
Peach: run
Yoshi: wavedash
CFalcon: run
Ness: wavedash
Kirby: wavedash
Marth: wavedash

edit: These are with TAS though, expect more characters to go into the "run" category when played by humans.
Also, some characters have alternate means of transportation =). I want to try something with Peach, but I need some item AR codes to make it worthwhile.
Thowng bombs at yourself?

dkuo

Smash Lord
get hit by ness/g&w/roy fullcharge bucket counter at 999

Actually, if I remember correctly, Falco's walk speed is faster than his dash speed, it only accelerates slower.
very common myth, but no

on the topic of falco, i like using sideB to hurry to the edge

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
For pure speed:

-Yoshi's Egg Roll
-Jigglypuff's Rollout

Otherwise these characters would dash and jump, respectively.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Come on guys, we all know that Event 33 is pretty much the fastest way to do anything in the game at all. That, or just have Samus do the extended grapple glitch and grab you from the other side of the stage. Dat reel in, son.

AXE 09

Smash Master
For Pika, definitely running is fastest lol.

Or SWD if there's anything to do it off of.

Is Mewtwo faster doing horizontal teleports, or wavedashes?

What about Pichu doing agility horizontally?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Thanks Axe, I was wondering whether Pika was faster doing a horizontal agility or running. I have the same questions about Mewtwo and Pichu.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
It might just be in my head but dash->wavedash->dash feels a lot faster than just wavedash or just dash w/Marth

Maybe something about momentum idk. Marths end of wavedash frames are silly

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
It might just be in my head but dash->wavedash->dash feels a lot faster than just wavedash or just dash w/Marth

Maybe something about momentum idk. Marths end of wavedash frames are silly
Only if you dash for one frame from standin still, so you're actually moving forward during the jump animation. After that, the previous wavedash will keep your momentum up while initiating the next jump/wavedash, where it's just faster to jump when you can instead of wasting a frame on another dash.

Top Bottom