• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's grab game.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Hello fellow falco players, how goes it.

As you may or may not know, falco's throwing game sucks ****ing balls. However, due to his SHL and general movement, grabbing flows well into his game. I was wondering if anybody knows any ideas/techniques to make falco's throw more useful. Sometimes I manage to land upthrow to bair, but his other throws don't really go anywhere. Is it a matter of predicting and chasing DI?

Any advice is appreciated especially from the pros. But anyone really.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
upthrow generally leads into a move vs most of the cast and more commonly vs floaties. esp if u double jump because it accelerates faster.
vs spacies u can kinda do janky combos like upthrow->shine or nair/bair but those shouldnt really work often vs competent people but its ok to throw out randomly sometimes.

u can do silly things vs spacies like backthrow-> regrab cuz people generally instinctively shield. or f-throw->laser->regrab

i almost never use Dthrow. unless i have a really good read on their tech pattern.

otherwise, throw them offstage.

falco grabs are mediocre.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
upthrow generally leads into a move vs most of the cast and more commonly vs floaties. esp if u double jump because it accelerates faster.
vs spacies u can kinda do janky combos like upthrow->shine or nair/bair but those shouldnt really work often vs competent people but its ok to throw out randomly sometimes.

u can do silly things vs spacies like backthrow-> regrab cuz people generally instinctively shield. or f-throw->laser->regrab

i almost never use Dthrow. unless i have a really good read on their tech pattern.

otherwise, throw them offstage.

falco grabs are mediocre.
I see, thanks.

About dthrow, if you ever do use it, how do you suggest following it up?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Uthrow to shine *****, I just started actually doing that, also Fthrow off the ledge, then fall off and double laser Fox's recovery, it forces him to recover low, and then you get a free Dair.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
f throw to laser to f smash vs marth/other midweights can be useful but its all DI dependent

X1-12

Smash Champion
I see, thanks.

SH dair, but you'll have to start running as soon as the throw finishes, so just guess and go with it. Near the edge people instinctively roll inwards, also on platforms you can normally follow on reaction with anything

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I see, thanks.

tchchase dair. sometimes downsmash if im on a platform cuz it will pretty much garuntee to hit.

oh and i forgot to mention things like B-throw-> fsmash/ftilt near the ledge to jack their jump or kill them.

again, most of this stuff doesnt really work and relies on catching youropp onent offguard.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Forward throw ***** spacies/falcon/probably gannon too. Fthrow by the edge and then forward smash if they jump right away, or down air if they wait and then jump/up/side B. Up throw usually works well on fastfallers or marth/sheik because it leads to a free shine. Down throw also works well on samus because she's easy to techchase to another grab.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Down throw >
Read tech with a short hop laser >
Regrab >
????? >
Profit!

Nah but srsly I think the best way to use falcos throws are to mix them up. Esp vs Space animals. You can get a regrab on back throw if they don't DI it. Back throw can also lead into a dash attack on many characters if you mix it in sometimes. Iv seen mango do this to M2k.

As stated Up throw can lead into many different things on many different characters... but it can also lead into nothing.

Down throw combos on Fox and Jigs if they don't smash DI, on other characters it is also really useful if you are on top of a platform because it limits tech options. I like to throw out a jab after it in case they miss a tech I can go into a jab reset.

Overall I think Forward throw is the best option because it keeps them infront of you so you can just start hitting them with lasers right away.

Falco's throw game is really good, just nothing is guaranteed.

null55

Smash Master
falco's grabs are like all mindgames.... none of them are like fox's uthrow where you pretty much have a guaranteed follow up. which is exciting because you can do some really creative stuff that don't just require reaction like with shine combos.

i believe the grab game of a falco shows his real skill.

i know a few things i'll share...

fthrow... throw them and wait. this is especially cool against spacies where pressure is so high naturally on both sides that the opponent will sometimes roll into you while u sit there waiting. free shine. sometimes they'll shield thinking you're try to follow up surprise. fthrow train. also puts spacies in a teching position at the right %. quick and low lag, ****.

uthrow... again, can be **** on spacies. stupid **** can occur like uthrow–>fmsash (****). marth's and other floatyish characters can be surprised with a dair follow-up if they're not ready. uthrow–>bair (and reverse bair) and uthrow–>shine (vs spacies) can work as well. Dr Peepee likes to uthrow–>nair puff which is nifty. uthrow–> uair is also good in that match up and others imo. i've definitely uthrow–>uair–>dair a peach before.

bthrow... sometimes n***z jump and u can **** them up for it. bthrow bthrow g'***** fox.

dthrow... almost useful on platforms, but you can escape it. if they tech there's really not much you can do on the stage besides laser. if they don't tech you can do some damage with the right option covering. i really like dthrow just cuz it's so swag.... i mean you ****ing throw the ***** in the ground and shoot in his face. but yeah i have the ongoing belief that dthrow is useful, some would disagree, i'll try to prove them wrong.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow is **** against a scrub Fox lol. It's worth trying out once on randoms to see if they know to shine out of it. :colorful:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
uthrow -> shine on fastfallers if you think you can get away with it.

If you're playing someone who will shine you out of it though, you can mix up with uthrow -> shffl nair or uthrow -> fsmash at lower percents, because those will hit them if they attempt to shine asap.

StoneColdBeast

Smash Cadet
Well, the d-throws are dangerous because if you try to get out of it with DI you can get b-throwed to f-smashed to laser (fox falls below the stage) to d-air/smash edge guarded..

We call this the "Rob Money"..

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
dthrowing if you manage to get a grab on a platform can be very strong, they cant tech far enough to get away from a tech chase fsmash/tech fast enough to get out of a dsmash straight after, and if they dont tech is a free dsmash/utilt/whatever you want

otherwise during standard neutral if you just abuse grabs enough it makes them scared, they block less and try to hit you more, then it makes things easier for you when you just stop trying to grab (8

Top Bottom