• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon is top tier

Player-3

Smash Hero
hey guys

falcon has uair

auto better than ganon jiggz ike and w/e else is below ike currently

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It isn't just that Falcon has U-air. Falcon has Jab Grab U-throw/D-throw U-air. That makes Falcon >>> bottom tier.

Kishin

Smash Ace
The only thing that Falcon has going for him that keeps him out of bottom tier is his speed + mobility.

EDIT: and u-air...

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
w/e else is below ike currently

Lucas
Mario
Ness
Yoshi

Hahaha good one :p. No way in hell Falcon's better than Mario. These characters are below Ike currently in this order

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Falcon still sucks. Lacking disjoint (or utilt, someone show the hitbox size of Falcon's utilt?)
Take Lucas' Fsmash, Falcon's Utilt beats it.
Take the platform on Smashville, Falcon's Utilt reaches it.

Zelda doesn't have the frame data of MK teloborg. Her frame data is more like G&W's honestly, slower on the startup, quicker on the cooldown, but she lacks the mobility and aerial options to really feasibly do anything to approach. And approach options are very relevant in Brawl, since what options you do have to deal with other campy playstyles are obviously neccessary to survive in this game.
Just throwing that here :
Fsmash hits on 16, IASA 40 (MK 23/42)
Dsmash hits on 4, IASA 40 (MK 5/35)
Usmash hits on 5, IASA 57 (MK 8/50)

I won't even bother talking about the aerials, Dtilt or NL.
Add to this a recovery that is good as long as she's not under the stage level and you have a really underestimated character that has better potential than Falcon.

And campy playstyles<powershield.
The fact is that if you find yourself approaching in Brawl instead of zoning you are doing it wrong.

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
guys, if you believe Wario Vs. Falcon is even, then why do you think Ganon has an advantage over you?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
If Falcon doesn't beat anyone but Ganon and arguably Link and gets ***** by so many characters, why isn't he the 2nd worst character?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Are you really sure that Falcon's matchups are that bad?

Although for now I guess his matchups are bad...considering how difficult it is to use this character.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Falcon's match-ups aren't bad at all.

It's just his horrible properties compared to the rest of the roster and his ability to utilize them that's really keeping him down. It's basically "Anything Falcon can do, someone else can do better". Most of those horrible properties allow him to get wrecked in various ways too. Falcon's really subjectable to a lot of really harsh ****. Which makes using him properly that much more difficult. You got to have a LOT of skill to actually play Falcon up to par with most other characters, regardless of what their skill level is.

Like it was said before, his mobility and ability to punish are the main things that are unique about him. Speed, aerial control and auto canceling. Fox, Sheik and Meta Knight are the only characters that even come close to that. Even then, Falcon still has the most control.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I disagree. Most of Captain Falcon's match-ups plainly suck. All we got on them are mindgames and such. Of course, there are exceptions (I can think of Bowser, who's not that bad, and Ganondorf) but...

... well, like you said, we need to be REALLY good to outclass the other characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There is a difference between a matchup being technical and a matchup sucking.

Well uh frankly, I guess both apply to most of Falcon's matchups...his matchups are all technical and they usually suck. But anyhow assuming you have the technical skill to control Falcon, I really think his matchups are generally underestimated.

Falcon requires a fairly good understanding of how followups work, and he needs rather precise timing to make the most of his aerials and other moves. His aerials can do decent things, but besides being hindered by Falcon's limitations, he's also hindered a lot by what his player is capable of doing.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I think Falcon's best option is to mindgame and punish the opponent, by predicting his/her moves. But for that, you must know your opponent. Which means that kind of gameplay is useless in a massive tournament.

Of course, going technical is also very important, but if your opponent ALSO knows the match-up, you're pretty much ******.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Falcon's metagame is stuck between two things.

1.) Being used at a professional level, how this game should be played: Defensively. Reading your opponent and punish accordingly. At a somewhat sluggish pace, spacing yourself and getting percents and combos in accordingly without trying to stay in your opponents face the entire match.

2.) Being manly. Screwing the rules because you have a helmet, a suit with pins on it's nipples and the calves of a god. Who cares if you win or lose? Whatever looks manly, DO IT.

Obviously #2 isn't smart at all, but eh. Falcon is one of those characters people use for fun and as a 'joking around' character. I only know a handful of people who use him at a truly competitive standpoint.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Darky, you can play fast and that doesn't automatically mean you're "screwing the rules".

Yes, defensive play is theoretically better, but you're not giving option #2 much light.

You can play fast and still punish/read your opponent, it's just that the slow/boring style is arguably more effective.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think Falcon's best option is to mindgame and punish the opponent, by predicting his/her moves. But for that, you must know your opponent. Which means that kind of gameplay is useless in a massive tournament.

Of course, going technical is also very important, but if your opponent ALSO knows the match-up, you're pretty much ******.
I disagree with the last statement to an extent. Yeah Falcon does have unwinnables admittedly, but at the same time on an objective analysis of Falcon's options, I really think his options allow him to be competitively competent in many more matchups. He has mobility and a few very safe attacks that come out before reaction time, which is something that a few other characters in this game actually lack.

I guess one of my advantages when I use Falcon is my superior mindgames (being a Mario main has given me really good intuition for spacing F-smash, and I deliberately try to apply Falcon Punches for serious mindgame kills), but I don't really consider spacing his safer moves and juggling/pressuring someone reliably a matter of mindgames. I think it's something the character is actually able to do.

Although I guess I really can't argue that Falcon is any better than pretty much low tier, but ultimately I think his matchups could stand to be revised in the future.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Darky, you can play fast and that doesn't automatically mean you're "screwing the rules".

Yes, defensive play is theoretically better, but you're not giving option #2 much light.

You can play fast and still punish/read your opponent, it's just that the slow/boring style is arguably more effective.
lmfao. I know that. You know that's basically how we play.

People aren't going to play Falcon like a Bowser turtle obviously. That's just the best way to put it's effectiveness in words, as a general idea.

That, or they can play like me. Stand in place, short hop and fast fall with Bair over and over while the opponent is deciding on how to approach or punish, then just randomly go in for a buffered dash grab or something if you don't decide to move the bair and smack 'em with it. xD

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If falcon was to go defensive midgame, What would be his greatest optoions?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
N air and U air, ok, they both cancel into another move if they are auto canceled right?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Defensively, you will also want to abuse your grab as much as possible to pressure opponents off of the stage. At least, that's what I do. It makes reading your opponent that much easier because their options of recovery are often limited to things that Falcon can punish really easily.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^Não dês comida aos trolls do off-topic, fachavor. Isto é o forum do :Falcon: ....

Darky-Sama, I think the best play-style for Captain Falcon is a hybrid between your #1 and #2, like lordhelmet said... because nothing feels better and is good for your ego (more important than you think) than ending a match with an epic knee/meteor smash/falcon punch.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok I change my mind: Falcon vs Wario is no fun for Falcon lol. I had no idea that Wario could CG Falcon for THAT long lol. I always knew he could CG him, but I forget the exact %'s.

I did it in tournament this weekend.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I had it going past 80%. Not sure exactly how long.

Top Bottom