• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon dive: Underused?

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Btw, falcon dive is up-B, for those of you who don't look on the dojo :laugh:

But anywyay, I've noticed when playing other falcons, that they never EVER use Falcon Dive. But I think its great. Firstly, it does 17%,so would need 5 hits (assuming there is no damage depreciation) for a d-throw to do that. Secondly, no-one uses it, making it a great surprise attack that people won't see coming if they are next to you. And, it has FAR more range than a grab:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qqY3SICZtIE
Also, Its amazingly effective when they are on a platform above you, which is likely to occur quite a lot of times during a match on four of the nuetral stages. When in that position I have never seen anyone spotdodge, they always shield, and there tends to be a point where they will hold the shield, which is your oppertunity for a surprise 17%.
And lastly, if your having trouble killing someone who is on a high percentage, who realises Falcons grabs can't kill them, so only shields: this is your counter.

the only downside i can see is that its punishable, but only a little. While in the hitstun, you can alternate between fastfalling and naturally falling, and can use Falcons great air mobility to help.

I'm not saying this should replace grabs or anything, because grabs are great, but maybe don't just dismiss the idea, because there will be situatuions where it is the best option.

FFFL

Smash Rookie
Also, when you Falcon Dive someone, Captain Falcon says: "YES!".
I mean, how cool is that?!

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
falcon dive is too punishable when you miss IMO
I only use it for recovering:)
and grabbing someon with it who hangs on the ledge = win
but up b out of shield kinda sucks due to beeing so punishable

but one could use it near the ledge that if you miss, you can just DI towards the ledge and end up hanging on the ledge (sorry if this was mentioned before)

but still, I think there are better options than up b most of the time (while on the ground)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Almost every one of Falcon's attacks is underused. But whatever.

It's one of Falcon's better attacks, that's for sure. 17% unblockable that does not return midair jumps. It's one of Falcon's better out of shield options by the way since his grab range is just TERRIBLE. It can kill at really high percents to which helps.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I use it off stage to kill lol. RAR (optionally, hit them with B-air), then reverse Falcon dive (so you face 'forward'/away from stage) - it makes it easier to float back to the stage since the direction you were originally facing was towards the stage.

The teleport frames are awesome when it comes to punishing low aerials, too.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I know so little about Falcon dive..
Does it have good priority on start up or something? Invincible frames? or maybe super armor?

If so.. it could almost be used like Bowsers Up+B ? :ohwell:

crewster

Smash Lord
I do, Dash attack>Uair>Dive>Knee. But I generaly do a double Uair instdead. The thing I use Falcon Dive for is off stage at high percentage.:)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I changed my mind
you guys brought up some good points
I'll try to blend it into my game:)
thanks face

Mit

Smash Ace
I mainly only use it with recovering opponents. If they are coming in low and are doing various ledge tricks I've been jumping past the ledge and using falcon dive towards it, and they either have to move or stop their tricks and just grab the ledge. Or, you know, get falcon dived into the side of the level and most likely die.

I use it when people are coming from the high corners as well. It usually catches them off guard for you to just jump all the way up and grab at them. If they try to use a move it's likely you'll grab them anyways, and if they air dodge you should be able to fastfall back to the stage safely.

You have to remember it's a grab in the air too, so you can grab Snake out of his up+b with it, and you can even grab Kirby out of his down+b when he's falling from the sky. May also work on Dedede's up+b too, although I'm not sure.

Just the fact that it's an air grab give it a lot of uses you don't normally have from an air move.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
I mainly only use it with recovering opponents. If they are coming in low and are doing various ledge tricks I've been jumping past the ledge and using falcon dive towards it, and they either have to move or stop their tricks and just grab the ledge. Or, you know, get falcon dived into the side of the level and most likely die.

I use it when people are coming from the high corners as well. It usually catches them off guard for you to just jump all the way up and grab at them. If they try to use a move it's likely you'll grab them anyways, and if they air dodge you should be able to fastfall back to the stage safely.

You have to remember it's a grab in the air too, so you can grab Snake out of his up+b with it, and you can even grab Kirby out of his down+b when he's falling from the sky. May also work on Dedede's up+b too, although I'm not sure.

Just the fact that it's an air grab give it a lot of uses you don't normally have from an air move.
yes i agree completely, but i've never really thought about using it against kibys brick, although it seems dangerous.

I find a good use for it is ledge stalling then surprising them. ie, fall of the ledge, dive back on then repeat until you think its the right time to up-b into them, and through they're shield. also, in a match just recently i outranged an opponent with it when they ran at me, which might be another use for characters like pit, who have little range (i'm not refering to projectiles!)

YesISpeakChinese

Smash Apprentice
I think we had a big thread about this move a while back
I think the falcon dive is actually very useful OoS since it has some weird teleporting aspects.
The dive is also a better choice than the knee as a ledge hopped move when dealing damage since it goes through the shield

Top Bottom