• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

falcon compendium / Q&A thread

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
hmm.. i dont actually agree with this... if i need to move a short distance I'd surely wavedash
maybe in some situations? I dunno I mostly only walk as mindgames and when i throw out random smashes
On this

Wavedashing leaves you with a 6th of a second or so where you can't do anything which is why walking can sometimes be preferable if you need to wait and react to something

edit: although i don't have a cube anymore i will try to find some new stuff with falcon next time i play for the sake of this thread rofl

Walt

Smash Ace
Actually I have noticed Mango, and most of socal uses walking really intelligently. Like, they use it as a way to close space when it needs to be closed without being impatient. Like someone just got hit and got out of hitstun early enough to grab the edge, close enough that dashing will put you in danger of getting hit by an invincible ledgehop aerial, but walking will close the gap to cover ledge options. Also walking is just really intimidating and baits out silly stuff sometimes because it's so rare. Also no. 2 you can do smashes out of it. Which couples well with the intimidation.

but whatever I only ever walk with Fox and Ganon.

Windrose

Smash Lord
whenever i see a marth walk...you know 100% he's gonna try to do a F-smash (either mindgame walk past you f-smash, space f-smash...delayed f-smash...or other mindgames but it's ALWAYS F-SMASH)

agree??

you know it's true...i play against so many marth players.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
whenever i see a marth walk...you know 100% he's gonna try to do a F-smash (either mindgame walk past you f-smash, space f-smash...delayed f-smash...or other mindgames but it's ALWAYS F-SMASH)

agree??

Pretty true. Or grab, but most the time F smash

D

Deleted member

usually an indication that the marth player is really bad if they walk past f-smash back

now walk past --> dash dance or anything else is better

S l o X

Smash Champion
first post is so good even if it's in its infant stage. spaced nairs / knees are really good vs crouch cancel "characters". if i do space it really well then i usually react to what they do (roll, wave dash oos or something)

Hax

Smash Champion
just added juggling, the most important section yet

leffen

Smash Champion
"-if you aerial before the peak of your jump, you cannot fastfall"
uhhhhhhh incorrect

also: knee is +1 on shield if it hits the frame before you land
However, you'd almost never space it that low so its more often ~-2
Also, since knee does so much damage, it stales faster
So if you hit someone with a knee once (weak knee stales strong btw) its +-0 if perfectly spaced, then -1, -1, -2, -2, -3...
In other words, Knee->grab loses to shield grab about 80% of the times where you hit knee on shield.

HOWEVER. Do realize that CF can just knee->dash away/behind them, so using that properly you can easily condition people to not try to shield grab you and instead try to something else OOS, most of which grab beats. I don't really like Knee->jab all that much unless they're shielding at a edge with little to no space behind them (so that you can time the jabs to hit them when they fall off).
Knee->jab loses to lots of CC moves at low percents (Mashing CC grab after the knee ***** both knee->grab and knee->jab most of the time) and you could even be facing the wrong way and still get a punish since jab turns you if you get hit by it.

Another important thing to consider is the fact that you can't (sometimes its possible but incredibly hard) actually react to most aerials hitting your shield if they're done to hit late in your jump. This means that doing mixups between late uair/bair/knee and just landing empty->dash away, grabjabsidebwhatever is more or less a true, very powerful mixup on shield (granted how big of a punish you get from both late aerials and grabs/sidebs).

Experiment more on these mixups and you could easily turn the 50/50 of lateaerial/early aerial or grab/jab etc and you could easily turn the tables in your favor very reliably. For example, you space so that you'll land behind them with your empty by not fast falling, wavelanding, DJing, you name it.

Hax

Smash Champion
i'm assuming you read that as:
"if you aerial before the peak of your jump, you cannot fastfall whatsoever during that entire jump"

what it's meant to be read as:
"you cannot fastfall before the peak of your jump"

bad wording. i'll fix it

Niko45

Smash Master

agree??

This is why walk grab is ****

Dees

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is a pivot grab? I never really understood pivots. Or is it as easy as just turning around after an initial dash and grabbing?

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is a pivot grab? I never really understood pivots. Or is it as easy as just turning around after an initial dash and grabbing?
i think its just turning around after an initial dash and grabbing on the spot.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
When you dash dance, there's a moment when your character is standing straight up (watch sheiks dash dance). At that moment he IS technically standing. This is a pivot, and since you're standing, you can do anything you'd normally be able to do while standing, like a normal grab aka a pivot grab (instead of a dash grab which is slower and more punishable). Pivot forward smash owns.

Scar

#HarveyDent
i'm also curious about why walking is underrated, as hax said i literally have never walked ever

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yesterday i was wavedashing out of shield ftilting at falco, it was actually kinda cool

ive been playing too much samus

S l o X

Smash Champion
i don't think it's frame perfect. i get it like 99% of the time the first try / when i'm actually using it against someone but after trying the second time i only get it like 50% of the time.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Bair regrab is really easy ... considering knee regrab is possible there's a pretty big window for Bair

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
what about
knee->gentleman? Training my shield pressure and this seems old but very ideal

Windrose

Smash Lord
I think that depends on the opponent's percents. even knee can be CC'd at very low percents.

gentlemen can also be cc'd.

Facing someone who knows when to CC falcon's aerials is very gay. Why shield when you can cc--> punish

EDIT:

@Slox, IS THAT YOU? I didn't think you were asian.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I think this guide should also include things like Scar jumping, the Doraki, Moonwalk edge hog, shield drop u-air, and other discrete falcon tech skill. That information is just so spread out everywhere.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Shield dropping isn't really a Falcon specific thing but whatever
I think the rest of that stuff should be in a separate thread called "marginally useful technical things" so people don't think they need to learn them to play Falcon <_<

Hax

Smash Champion
i'm gonna have to agree with Wenbobular here; while i'll admit the OP doesn't do a good job of hinting at this, my intentions with this thread were to provide people with mindgames/tricks i've come across over the years. notsomuch widespread things like moonwalking or scarjumping. i shouldn't really have called it a compendium.

i could put those things in for you guys if you want but i dont really see the point lol

D

Deleted member

don't put in shield dropping, these are really legit falcon tips that's really applicable and shield drops, while sometimes a really good option are more situational

lol@ at my walking post

Top Bottom