• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's an odd dilemma that I'm in. I was able to complete the true All-Star Mode with Captain Falcon without using any healing items, and yet the challenge didn't get complete on the challenges table. I'm absolutely certain that I didn't heal any damage, so I have to be missing something.

Edit: Apparently, I have to do this on the normal difficulty level; easy does not count.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I need you, Captains!

I am need of a rush-down character, one I feel comfortable throwing out attacks and going head-first comfortably. My question is: Is Capt. Falcon capable of being that character? I don't care how hard he is to learn.

The reason I am searching for a new main is because I feel too many of the characters I play compliment my very conservative and patient play-style. Someone who I can use to surprise my opponents with a sudden change in aggression is sure to help me achieve victory. The only three characters that I consider to be "rush-down"orientated are: Sonic, Sheik, and Capt. Falcon. I've played Sonic before and used to like him but he eventually felt too cheap and easy to use and lost the fun factor. Sheik, I have no problem considering but I think it would be funner to FALCON PUNCH my way to victory! Not saying that Capt. Falcon is the only choice though since I wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

What do you guys/gals think? Can you help me or is this something to find out for myself?

Thanks in advance!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Coming from Melee as an aggressive "rush down" player, I think Falcon is a good choice.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
played sm4sh with Gamecube controller, feels good but not enough, need more practice...
It takes some time to adapt, but it eventually clicked for me. Keep at it!

@ FlAlex FlAlex sounds like Falcon is perfect for you. Falcon in Sm4sh is basically an upgrade from his Brawl incarnation. He can be fast and deadly, and he can sit back and wait for the opponent to attack... and then counter-attack mercilessly.

If you read this subforum and watch our videos you'll fall in love with the good captain in no time :)

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
It takes some time to adapt, but it eventually clicked for me. Keep at it!

@ FlAlex FlAlex sounds like Falcon is perfect for you. Falcon in Sm4sh is basically an upgrade from his Brawl incarnation. He can be fast and deadly, and he can sit back and wait for the opponent to attack... and then counter-attack mercilessly.

If you read this subforum and watch our videos you'll fall in love with the good captain in no time :)
I'll look into those vids and forums then! Thanks for the input, Captains victra♥ and BigLord!!

Good luck to your GCcontroller training, Lionman!

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else having trouble to sh uair or fh uair (or Amy aerial afaik) to double jump ? It seems that sometimes, even offstage i can't double jump after an aerial.

We noticed it using falcon and lucina but didn't test any further.

Also what's the difference between c.falcon 3 hit jab and the multi hit ? In % ?

I'm not much of a lab monster, but something Falcon had on ROB in Brawl is now possible vs other characters in Smash 4, namely his first hit nair > footstool. There might be some cool tricks to figure out with this, especially when you start shorthopping the footstools.
Airborne footstool ? Could it lead to some lock ?

Last edited by a moderator:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I have had a nice experience last night. I thought my Falcon skill had kinda plateau'd, though I had seen some awesome gimp/spike vids with dair and utilt. Suddenly I started getting them all over the place, many matches in For Glory barely lasting more than a minute due to crazy spikes. Anyone else had that moment of realization where suddenly the edgeguarding becomes real?

XPyromanicX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eazy5Flash
3DS FC
0344-9812-7584
I can't believe I was lucky enough to find a GCN adapter
Well darn, I tried to get a GCN adapter the day I bought Smash Wii U and it wasn't in right now. The Gamepad is doing fine for the moment but I really wanted to see why people praise this controller so much.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I really wanted to see why people praise this controller so much.
Careful with that. The Gamecube controller is, objectively speaking, not that much better than the Gamepad or the Pro Controller. It's just because most of us have Muscle memory from Melee and Brawl :p

If you fell comfortable with the Pro Controller/Gamepad, use it!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think I've changed my opinion of Nair haha.

I've noticed that downthrow into nair is actually pretty fantastic. You can over extend the nair upwards and you will either connect via true combo, or (if you didn't do it tight enough) you'll catch their second jump, airdodge, and depending on the character, you can out trade them.

Nair definitely has different uses nowadays. It seems like something that might not be that great any more as a spacing tool like in Melee, but you can use it like a sex kick by overshooting your nair and hitting with your body when the opponent is airborne. Otherwise you can just single hit nair into gentleman asap and you should be able to catch their shield grab with jab (I'll double check on this one actually). Will definitely look into the true combo details of down throw -> nair etc.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
sup dawgs no vids but got 7th/35 yesterday all falcon

falcon is scary as **** in this game i wish i had a wii u because i know im missing alot of crazy things i can be doing

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
sup dawgs no vids but got 7th/35 yesterday all falcon

falcon is scary as **** in this game i wish i had a wii u because i know im missing alot of crazy things i can be doing
Falcon is so crazy he's hilarious! Nothing feels better than kneeing ROB, then as he recovered back to the stage, BAM! another knee to finish him off xD And then there's the king of manly hilarity , the Falcon Punch...

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
A good Falcon in Sm4sh is a force to be reckoned with. After the Brawl disaster, our time has come.

(maining Brawl in Falcon DID prove to be useful, though. I had to get good at reading people so I could punish with Brawl Falcon and actually win consistently, heh)

ZDH

Smash Rookie
Hey Falcons I have a question, I'm a toon link main sorry not part of the Falcon army but I think he is a ton of fun and like playing with him. Now I am a new player like very new like first smash game in a long time new in fact I plan to get a melee set up later feel like playing smash for a bit and taking it serious. But I digress the noob question is why is it that I lose my double jump sometimes after I attempt a down throw into Knee follow up. I do this off stage btw but sometimes i retain the double jump other times it's just not there causing me to SD any ideas why is it a game mechanic I don't understand yet or what?

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Hey Falcons I have a question, I'm a toon link main sorry not part of the Falcon army but I think he is a ton of fun and like playing with him. Now I am a new player like very new like first smash game in a long time new in fact I plan to get a melee set up later feel like playing smash for a bit and taking it serious. But I digress the noob question is why is it that I lose my double jump sometimes after I attempt a down throw into Knee follow up. I do this off stage btw but sometimes i retain the double jump other times it's just not there causing me to SD any ideas why is it a game mechanic I don't understand yet or what?
What? An outsider? Falcons, get him!
Haha Just kidding. Always nice to welcome a new Smasher!

Well, I find that it can happen sometimes, and while I'm not 100% on this, I think it might be due to the game registering a jump as two jumps. This could be due to lag or thinking you pressed the button twice. Believe me, it happens :/ Another reason it may happen is if you fall off the ledge BEFORE you jump into knee, which would make the game think it was your second jump.

Something you could do counteract this, even when is happens, is to try a wall jump. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but characters like Falcon, when close to the stage's wall, can do this. To wall jump, you quickly move the control stick in the opposite direction to the wall. It's kind a third jump, and makes it much easier to recover. However, don't use UpB before trying a wall jump, as Falcon won't be able to jump then. The wall jump is best used for if the knee takes your double jump and you're close to a wall.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Smash! :)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yo this place feels amiliar but also strange. Why is no one talking about One Punch Man or Samurai Flamenco ?

Anyone else having trouble to sh uair or fh uair (or Amy aerial afaik) to double jump ? It seems that sometimes, even offstage i can't double jump after an aerial.

We noticed it using falcon and lucina but didn't test any further.
Haha bide.

I often have a similar problem because the buffer system doesn't work like in Brawl. It usually leads to me dying offstage for no good reason haha.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Yo this place feels amiliar but also strange. Why is no one talking about One Punch Man or Samurai Flamenco ?

Haha bide.

I often have a similar problem because the buffer system doesn't work like in Brawl. It usually leads to me dying offstage for no good reason haha.
Hyes, exactly. So how am i am supposed to use Uair properly ? If i buffer the jump, it's not gonna work ?

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Any tips on playing against projectile users? Played against a good Luigi a few matches and felt like I had no idea how to approach or handle the mu. Ability for them to juggle us and how fast they can rack up damage is insane. Same goes for Fox. Whatever input is appreciated!

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
So I was playing around in training mode, messing with approaches, anyone tried SHFF Nair into Dtilt near the ledge? It seems like that could be one hell of a way to gimp quite a few characters especially at higher %'s.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It's surprising how many people don't realize that you can legit true combo into knee. Lots of misinformation is being spread about this and it's pretty sad lol

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
Could someone detail those knee setups? I'd love to know, I have trouble withe grounded uairs like are detailed in the one thread

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's surprising how many people don't realize that you can legit true combo into knee. Lots of misinformation is being spread about this and it's pretty sad lol
Probably because it's not as smooth as how you can do it in Melee, hence why people are unaware of it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Not with only 28 messages and none of them in the Falcon Social, sorry kid it's a very private club :cool:

http://smashboards.com/threads/capt...ows-you-his-moves.369774/page-2#post-18119893

Would you guys be able to check out this request that I made here? What are your thoughts? I'd really like to compile and collect as many resources as I can and make them available in the stickied threads is the most efficient and effect way possible.
Short answer : Yes but chill
Long answer : the thread you link to was made to showcase Falcon's new moveset and let people voice their opinions, it's not a guide. Also don't be too hasty, this early in the game life it's normal for every informative thread to be incomplete and biased af. Edit : you should probably make a Q&A/directory thread and sticky it, and add every thread you deem worthy to it.

Last edited:

Dekar173

Justice Man
My plan is to implement a Smash 4 set-up soon (capture card and junk) and probably stream it at twitch.tv/dekar173 I don't have it yet so no friend code but when it's up I'd love to get some Falcon dittos going and just play more in general :^>

General things I noticed about gameplay: ledge-play and stealing the ledge in particular seems to actually refresh their invulnerability "queue" so let's say someone is planking the ledge: first grab = normal invulnerability frames, all subsequent grabs = 0 invuln frames when regrabbing ledge. All interactions seem to reset this, including footstools, stealing the ledge, or even empty grabs with 0 pummels that let them grab release back out.

I'm still not sure if stealing the ledge leads into a falcon bair. People could be reacting slowly when I get it off, and I could just be doing it too slowly when I fail. I like having the option, but against characters with decent aerial mobility and fairs it's a bit dangerous if it's not guaranteed. If someone could verify/deny it'd be nice!

Falcon's sideB in tandem with dash-dancing is amazing for killing, especially against the more roll favoring opponents/characters.

I'm not entirely sure how shield-pushing off a ledge works but I believe they have to be holding towards the ledge for it to occur, either that or there's just a certain threshold for knockback a move has to do/their weight is a barrier when the game determines if it's going to happen or not.

Grassy stages effect your friction, which definitely effects Falcon a lot more than others since his ground mobility is such a huge asset. If mastered on our side this knowledge is more useful to us as switching from grassy to non-grassy stages can definitely mess with our opponents punish game on us.

Dash-dance is 100% necessary on Falcon. Practice it up and use it for mix-ups! L LR RL LR RL where the space is a slight pause, timing's a little weird but you'll get used to it.

Gentlemen is great guaranteed damage off the first jab, and puts them in the air, setting up for reads/forced situations.

Properly spaced bair SEEMS safe on block against a lot of the cast, but that could be people improperly punishing. I'd like a verify with this too :p If it's on a grassy stage that might effect it since they'll be shoved slightly less, but aside from that (SV, BF and many neutrals) it seems pretty reliable.

Empty short hops as a mix-up are obviously super necessary, especially since air-dodging into the ground is no longer safe in the slightest.

Oos upB seems pretty great against people trying to abuse your back with double aerials like Diddy or Mario, especially since they're so small bairs often times will miss.

Overall I'm in love with Falcon, his speed and combo game are great, and over-all I feel very rewarded when I get a proper chain of reads off, kind of similar to PM and far surpassing Brawl.

Also, I made a post in the vids thread if anyone wants to help me out with some critique. It's a twitch vod/poor audio syncing though so sorry for that :/ I also took third so I'm a disappointment and failure, so from that alone you can disown me/refuse to watch and I wouldn't blame you in the slightest. :C

If people ever wanna chat/spitball ideas I'm usually around on League or Skype. Just PM me and I'll gladly add you on Skype, or add me on League and just lemme know who you are/you're from SWF. "Dekar289" "King of Memes" "The Lord Rengar"

Killua

Smash Cadet
NNID
kilucru
I'm still not sure if stealing the ledge leads into a falcon bair. People could be reacting slowly when I get it off, and I could just be doing it too slowly when I fail. I like having the option, but against characters with decent aerial mobility and fairs it's a bit dangerous if it's not guaranteed. If someone could verify/deny it'd be nice!
I think, it's guaranteed against a lot of characters(we can't do anything against Greninja). But you can try other thin like stealing the ledge and came back on the stage trying to punish your opponent recovery with an utilt for exemple.

Falcon's sideB in tandem with dash-dancing is amazing for killing, especially against the more roll favoring opponents/characters.
When i can kill with a sideb, i try to backdash and if my opponent was trying to approach i just sideb to punish his approach. I use this as an anti-air too.

I'm not entirely sure how shield-pushing off a ledge works but I believe they have to be holding towards the ledge for it to occur, either that or there's just a certain threshold for knockback a move has to do/their weight is a barrier when the game determines if it's going to happen or not.
If they're always in blockstun when they try to punish they will be push off the ledge. If not they wont be push.

PS: My english is very bad so if you don't understand something, i can try to explain it again. Sorry for my english

Last edited:
Top Bottom